Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather stations

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Just spent some time trawling through the various US suppliers of the DVP2 wirelwss , working out $550 which is fine , but they do not ship overseas , also may be some technical issues with US supplied equipment .

The same instrument costing £600 in the UK , which isn't far away from double the price .

Im aware this has already been discussed on earlier thread , (but as a
    novice here ) any advice would be welcome ,hoping to go live in the near future with a decent station,

Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I hear the train a comin, it's rollin round the bend...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Just spent some time trawling through the various US suppliers of the DVP2 wirelwss , working out $550 which is fine , but they do not ship overseas , also may be some technical issues with US supplied equipment .

The same instrument costing £600 in the UK , which isn't far away from double the price .

Im aware this has already been discussed on earlier thread , (but as a
    novice here ) any advice would be welcome ,hoping to go live in the near future with a decent station,

Thanks .
    Also just remember that when importing anything the duty, tax and shipping charges are extra again.

Have you tried looking at any other stations that are cheaper than the VP2. The cabled version of the VP2 is cheaper than the wireless. Then you have the Oregon scientific stations. La crosse is another good make.

If you are dead set on the VP2, either wireless or cabled version, there is a few on here to lend a hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Even with duty it gotta be cheaper to buy a Davis from the states than from the UK or Europe.
    The console will have a US power supply but an adapter only cost about 20 euro or so , so not really an issue (unless yer a cheap arse and only use batteries as a result...no I'm not thinking of someone here in particular lol ;)).

I don't think anything compares to the DVP in terms of accuracy.
    I'd be inclined to buy one on ebay and risk it with customs tbh, if they want payment they will let you know, I reckon you should be able to get a DVP2 wirelass all in for around 600 yoyo's
    I think Danno got his from the states recently?, maybe he could offer some advice here?
    Just noticed that there is one on sale in Germany on ebay for 499 euro - Item number: 260304800472
    No harm in dropping that fella a email, they all speak English and no doubt will do a reasonable deal with shipping and wont be any customs charge as would be shipping from inside the EU.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

That eBay one: 260304800472 is the exact same one I have. A very good price at €499.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

I bought my VP2 Wireless last Feburary from the States. It worked out about 730 or something with Duty added. it was still better than buying from the UK especially as at the time the exchange rate was 1:1.55 or something like that. Mine was shipped via UPS or FedEx which incurred the duty. I believe that if you can get it shipped by USPS then you might get around the duty. That might not be possible however.

• Advertisement

The dollar has surged in recent weeks as the Euro is falling.
    1€=$1.27 today which means you will get $1.25 when the cc get it's cut.

Back in july I was getting $1.58 for the Euro :( Thats a 30% drop and I don't see it improving as we have yet to drop our interest rates and the U.S have dropped theirs almost as low as they can go.

squonk wrote: »
    That might not be possible however.
    An Post collar you for the import tax and duty also as they have to pay customs for it which inturn they pass on to you. USPS (United States Postal Service) are their national postal carrier.

Pity about the exchange rates and like the usual, all good things come to an end.

Also Kerry 1960 VP2 related, are you getting a datalogger with the system or are you planning leaving the PC on 24/7?
    Datalogger stores data if the PC where to crash or be shut down.

Some other stations have dataloggers built in but not the Vantage Pro models.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Thanks for the replys ,

I need to sit down and do some serious research on weather stations when more time to spare , have noticed that some w/s only take wind readings every 20 to 60 seconds whereas the DVP records every 2/3 secs , i would think longer recording intervals cannot be very accurate in say gusty conditions .

We ( my 13yr old daughter has a strong intrest in things nature/weather related (amazingly) would like to be up and running sometime in Jan ,hopefully also in a position to upload info to the I.W.N. , in the meantime i would welcome comments on some questions/points , some might be stupid but this is a learning process for me ......

Plenty of information available on positioning/setting up these stations etc but would computer not have to be on anyway 24/7 when uploading live info snowbie ?

While i would never defraud our wonderful customs sevvice :rolleyes: , whats stopping me sending a certain item to my cousin in Chicargo and letting him post it on here.

Going to Prague on 4th Jan ,would it be an option to buy DVP there.

Having never dealt with E BAY are them stations new or used .

Cheers

Thanks for the replys ,

I need to sit down and do some serious research on weather stations when more time to spare , have noticed that some w/s only take wind readings every 20 to 60 seconds whereas the DVP records every 2/3 secs , i would think longer recording intervals cannot be very accurate in say gusty conditions .

We ( my 13yr old daughter has a strong intrest in things nature/weather related (amazingly) would like to be up and running sometime in Jan ,hopefully also in a position to upload info to the I.W.N. , in the meantime i would welcome comments on some questions/points , some might be stupid but this is a learning process for me ......

Plenty of information available on positioning/setting up these stations etc but would computer not have to be on anyway 24/7 when uploading live info snowbie ?

While i would never defraud our wonderful customs sevvice :rolleyes: , whats stopping me sending a certain item to my cousin in Chicargo and letting him post it on here.

Going to Prague on 4th Jan ,would it be an option to buy DVP there.

Having never dealt with E BAY are those stations new or used .

Cheers

ps...my location is prob the worst loc on the IWN map ,ie local powercuts : although not as bad as some years ago this area always seems the first place without power in storm in N Kerry....as for broadband (permanet) cannot count the number of times in wind/heavy rain have been left without service ,and sometimes for days .

cheers again....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd echo what Snowbie says about a datalogger, if your area is prone to power cuts etc then that will just store up the data until yer back online and then send it to the computer so the record is nice and smooth.
    Uploading is done directly from the Weatherlink software and doesnt need a fast connection at all, I used to update my website via dialup before I got broadband here.
    That item on Ebay is new and the seller has a 100% reputation score so shouldn't have any problems with them. I've bought loads of stuff on ebay (as my credit card shows unfortunately!) without problems by sticking to reputable sellers.

Problem with customs though is that the courier has to declare to them, so even if your cousin ships it for you you'll probably still be done for duty unfortunately.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yes this is true, but unless you sight the anemometer well up, then IMO the advantage that the Davis has in this regard is wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Since we both live in similar locations, about 30 miles apart, me being a software engineer (also with permanet btw) and in need of a station perhaps we could work something out.

Santa keeps promising, maybe this year he'll deliver eh.

Then an expert may come down for the weekend for free beer and 'siting' party.

You never know.

Thanks for the replys ,

The Internet is a good source of info when reading up on the manufactures websites giving the specs, but you will get better info from us users on this forum of the different type stations we all use here. It seems your sure on getting the VP2 though.

With the Davis anemometer recording at 2 to 3sec intervals is the only set back with the station, although i am not in a exposed location, i have my mast as high as is possible and i miss strong gusts sometimes. I use another anemometer that records at 1sec intervals and can confirm this, otherwise I'm 99.99% happy with the station.
    One step at a time, get the station sited correctly for accurately measuring wind , rain and temperature first.

Next the datalogger (explained above) if your prone to power cuts then this is a necessity. It stores the data from your weather console with or without power (fits into back of console) at selected intervals but we won't go that far ahead just yet.

hopefully also in a position to upload info to the I.W.N.
    Next you will need to build a website and Yes when uploading data to your website, if it's in the realms of possibility then the PC be on 24/7 for us to view data on the IRLWN.

ch750536 wrote: »
    Since we both live in similar locations, about 30 miles apart, me being a software engineer (also with permanet btw) and in need of a station perhaps we could work something out.

Santa keeps promising, maybe this year he'll deliver eh.

Then an expert may come down for the weekend for free beer and 'siting' party.

You never know.

CH, I know some cracking locations around Tralee for 'siting partys':p, matter of fact i might personally research some them tonight:D,
    purely in the intrests of science of course......:rolleyes: right....

On another matter, i'd say your location would be somewhat closer than 30 miles to here straightline, would you think.

Anyone have any opinion on this model , spec doesn't look too bad . http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_OS_WMR200.html

Sourced from a differant supplier (US) this w/s works out pretty well costwise , thanks again.......

Equally, I found
    this

coupled with this

not bad for €150?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Equally, I found
    this

coupled with this

not bad for €150?

I bought one of those stations off the same seller, it seems fine to me though the temp sensor needs to be in a screen, my next job is to make one of those plantpot jobbies and site the sensors in a more exposed location, they are abit sheltered from the south ATM.

After that I'll try to get it online, I have no suitable PC on hand so I was thinking of having a go at this, should be quite an economical solution if I can get it working.

You think I should ask Santa for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

You think I should ask Santa for one?

If Lapland is hit by the same recession as all the rest of us you could do worse.....

Ok then , sorry for dragging this thread up again but weather station purchace about to go ahead ,( not from this source).

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_OS_WMR200.html with http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/wshop_1002.html

Still need some expert opinion on this model , spec/pricewise not in the same league as the DVR2 so i want to know if its up to standard .

ps, also much less of a chance of Mrs KY exploding when the cc bill arrives :D.

• Advertisement

The Oregon station is good station going from feedback elsewhere.
    Weather display is cheaper being bought from the author himself from the main WD site here

He also gives you a months free trial. This is sent by email and not on a cdrom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've mentioned this often before.
    If the proposed site for wx station is quite compromised regarding exposure, then I think the better spec is wasted and the site contributes greater variance than the differences between wx stations. To a certain extent the opposite is also true, in that a good site deserves to be recorded as accurately as possible.

Build quality is another matter.

For anyone interested my Weather Station is up and running , should be no problems with sensor readings because all are seperated and in exposed locations ,wind sensor on chimneytop etc .

Also wrestling with some new computer hardware atm so some teething problems to be sorted out , all going well hoping to be online with W/S later in December ,

Here's what i'm running .

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/oregon_WMR200.html?gclid=CLncrfnTm5cCFYwh3godoUypDA

EDIT :On double/triple/checking on google and cross refering every other kind of a OS map i'm actually at 630 ft asl , im 80 ft higher than i thought............that'l make a big difference in the next Blizzard wont it ...........he he......

I'm impressed and jealous.

Well done.

Congrats Mr KY. Looking forward to seeing your data online.

Help......Can anyone calculate what my Baro pressure should be set at +(600ft)

Call an airport? I think they have tools for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Help......Can anyone calculate what my Baro pressure should be set at +(600ft)

Just a suggestion get the reading for your nearest Met Eireann Station(s) and use the Altitude adjustment on the Baro to make it read the same.
    Keep an eye out until pressure is uniform over the country and fine tune if necessary.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement