Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book you've re-read the most

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Have you ever read a book so many times it fell apart at the seams? The one I've read the most is 'The Stranger Beside Me' by Ann Rule. It's about Ted Bundy, she knew him quite well. He was her friend, at the same time she was involved as a true crime writer with the cops in the investigation into the missing girls. Her growing horror as it eventually dawns on her that he isn't the dashing, kind young man she'd been close to is fascinating.
    When I was younger I read 'Fenwick Houses' by Catherine Cookson about five times. Also 'Katie Mullholland' and 'The Dwelling Place' a few times each. Huge difference in book choice I know, my tastes have changed somewhat over the years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Brendan Behan's Borstal Boy. I read it at least once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I read Lord of the Rings every year for about eight years, but haven't read it for a few years now.

Since I bought Alan Moore's Watchmen about a year ago I must have reread it seven or eight times at least. Ditto the same author's V for Vendetta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Lord of the rings ..once a year at least
    also have read red storm rising many many times

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I used to read "On the Road" every time I went traveling.

Including a trip to San Francisco to see the "Beat" sights!

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I'd say it would be book 1 of the wheel of time series. Mainly because every time a new book comes out, I re-read the series.
    Generally, don't re-read a lot of my books due to being a slow reader and always having a large pile of new books to get through.:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Harry Potter...will that get me kicked out of the literature forum? :(

When I was a kid I read The Outsiders by SE Hinton dozens of times. Since then, I've only re-read books twice because there is so much out there to read, I sometimes think it's a waste of time! But the Time-Traveller's Wife was brilliant....thinking about giving that a third go. And I've read the Selfish Gene a few times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I'd say its probably the hobbit.

I think when I first read that, years ago, that I went straight back to the start and started again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Jane Eyre
    Little Women.

I've read these two about 10 times each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich

I think it's the only book I've ever re-read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I think it's Catcher In The Rye.

I read it alot when I was a teen but haven't read it in awhile.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy - did actually have a copy that fell apart from use!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Oryx and Crake, have read it many times since I first read it in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AJG

I've read Dubliners 2 or 3 times at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The Stand. I'd say I'm on my nineth or tenth go-round at this stage. However, I don't think I've ever not re-read a book I enjoyed. If I like a book, I'll read it again and again, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭madziuda

"Eureka Street" by Robert McLiam Wilson. Read it a total of 12 times, including 5 times in translation (bloody good work by a Polish translator)
    Ended up writing my MA thesis on it :D

Oh, and the geek that I am I've read Lord of the Rings about 6 times :) First book I've ever read in English (unabridged) so it has a certain sentimental value as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Lord of the Rings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Honey-ec wrote: »
    The Stand. I'd say I'm on my nineth or tenth go-round at this stage. However, I don't think I've ever not re-read a book I enjoyed. If I like a book, I'll read it again and again, simple as that.
    So would i actually. Sometimes I lend books to people and don't get them back. I hate that. I lent 'Salem's Lot' to a chap who took it on hols and left it on the plane. At the time it didn't bother me as i was so nervous after reading it I thought I wouldn't put myself through it again, I wouldn't go down the stairs for a drink of water at night for ages after it but I think now I feel ready to give it another go. Smashing horror story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RuthyB

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

What a book! must have read it about 20 times. My all time favourite:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

It's not high-brow or life-affirming but I keep a copy of Memoirs Of A Geisha beside my bed. I know it so well at this stage that if I can't sleep, I just roll over, open it at a random page and start reading about makeup, or tea ceremonies, or plotting apprentices, or whatever... Try it - you might enjoy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Honey-ec wrote: »

Ditto, The Stand, read it about five or six times, don't usually return to books, there's so much new stuff out there to get through. But The Stand is like confort reading, i know it will take me a while to get through and love that as i tend to get through books in a day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Junk by Melvin Burgess. The latter will find myself just picking up randomly and reading certain sections, the former I will sit down for the weekend and read the whole thing non-stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

Imajica by Clive Barker. It's torn to bits over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

Healing the shame that binds you by John Bradshaw.A real eye opener that needs to be read and re-read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

One of my favorite rereads is "What Dreams May Come" -- No, I've never seen the move, and no, I don't want to!

(I was also a Harry Potter rereader, Malari . . . I used to reread them all every holiday season. :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Every time I look at my bookshelf George Orwells 1984 winks at me. I have re-read it once a year every year for the last 10 years. At this stage I think it is a compulsion I may need medical help!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Must be due another read soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    Every time I look at my bookshelf George Orwells 1984 winks at me. I have re-read it once a year every year for the last 10 years. At this stage I think it is a compulsion I may need medical help!

Nah - apparently Christopher Lee has done the same with Lord of the Rings.

My own copy of Lord of the Rings was described by a writer I lived with a few years ago as 'a well-loved book.' The cover is no longer attached, and the first 300-odd pages are split from the rest, and other pages are falling out everywhere. I'm actually going to have to buy another copy, as I don't think it can take another read.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Dades wrote: »
    I used to read "On the Road" every time I went traveling.

Including a trip to San Francisco to see the "Beat" sights!

Me too! On both counts actually. Absolutely adore that book. Nothing else Kerouac or the Beats did could ever touch it.

Do you know of any docus that follow the book route or anything like that?

Also the Rebel and the Outsider(Stranger) by Camus would be a particular favourite as would Catcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

One day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Heart of Darkness. I just love it for some reason.

2001 Space Odyssey was the first book I ever re-read though.

Advertisement