Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book you've re-read the most

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

LOTR every year or two!!

i keep meaning to re-read the stand as i know its the type of book that you miss stuff in!!

the narnia storys...some of them like ten times, others only a few times but LOVE them all!! reminds me of winters days as a child!! reading and being read to while tucked up in bed....simple pleasures!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'm on my second copy of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, as my first copy is completely fecked from over-reading. Same with the better Discworld novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Little Women

Emma

Pride and Prejudice

(How very girly of me!!!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Catch 22.
    Confederacy of dunces.
    Both read more than I can recount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

As an adult, probably 'Round Ireland with a Fridge' ; I even got the audio version :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

By choice: Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Lost it since then but plan to buy it again soon. Want to read it again before I start on World Without End.

Not by choice: IT by Stephen King. Was stuck a week in London with only one book to entertain me. Read it 4 times in a row :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

His Dark materials by Philip Pullman
    Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett (some more than others)
    Strumpet City by James Plunkett
    Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend
    Harry Potter by JK Rowling
    Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut
    Ross O'Carroll Kelly by Paul Howard
    A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (ditto the Dirk Gently series)
    Last chance to see by Douglas Adams
    I am David by Anne Holm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭leadinglady

Angels in my hair-its my 'Quality steet' book, I dip in every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Blue-Eyed

mud wrote: »
    His Dark materials by Philip Pullman
    Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett (some more than others)
    Strumpet City by James Plunkett
    Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend
    Harry Potter by JK Rowling
    Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut
    Ross O'Carroll Kelly by Paul Howard
    A Scanner Darkly by Philip K Dick
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (ditto the Dirk Gently series)
    Last chance to see by Douglas Adams
    I am David by Anne Holm

I really, really like you :)

-Blue- :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

Confederacy of dunces
    Discworld Series
    The Dark Tower books by Steven king
    catch 22
    anything by Philip K Dick you really need read them at least twice
    down and out in London and Paris
    Catch 22
    the foundation series
    i buried my heart at wounded knee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 atc

imajica.... the stand .... wuthering heights....

when you can close your eyes and see the people from the books you love right in front of you, you know your on to a good thing....

who has read this canno remember the magical journeys of getle and judith...

as for the stand i think we can all agree that stu and fran look nothing like the tv versions..

as for mr heathcliff.... i think all us women have a fond spot for him, something a lot of men cannot comprehend...
    these are books that no matter how many years have past i can come back to and still be enthralled about the turn of the page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Robinson Crusue, and Oryx and Crake spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

LOTR (altho not in the past 7/8 yrs must giv it a go again soon)

Cryptonomicon

+ the godfather,some terry prattchet, nd a few others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 dazf

The Goblet of Fire about 10 times and a great one called The Secret Hunters

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Read 1984 when I was 18, one of my first loves!
    As a child, I loved Adrian Mole - Sue Townsend (just liked the first one, didn't like the sequels), and I adored Enid Blyton books. I literally thought Enid Blyton was a demi-god until the day my sister-in-law told me (with easily identifiable dark undertones) that Enid Blyton 'didn't like children'. She might as well have told me that there's no such thing as Santa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Jane Eyre - Great source of comfort for me + I'm a sucka for vic lit
    The Bell Jar - Used to worship this book when I was 13/14
    Harry Potter - The escapismmmmm *salivates*
    The Great Gatsby - Bliss.
    Nineteen Eighty-Four - Really appealed to me as a paranoid adolescent with nihilistic tendencies
    Pride and Prej - 'Cause I'm a typical gurl and can't help getting hot under the collar for Mr Darcy
    The Brothers Karamazov - I have a soft spot for Alyosha
    Crime and Punishment - No explanation needed

Also a lot of Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl as a younging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The Destroying Angel trilogy by bernard king, unusual books about a historical conspiracy.If you read it alone at night you will check out the room noises just to be sure.

On stranger tides By tim powers (zombie pirates for adults) what more could you want.

Troy (the trilogy) by david gemmel. A mythical/historic feast that supplies new titbits each time you read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

In times past: Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas (Hunter S Thompson), The Compleet Molesworth (Geoffrey Willans & Ronald Searle)

Still going strong: My Family And Other Animals (Gerald Durrell), Out Of Sheer Rage (Geoff Dyer)

In general, I think if a book isn't worth rereading, it wasn't worth reading in the first place, but that's not to say it actually happens for more than a handful of books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i reread the hitch hiker guide books a lot. Found them good to dip in and out of randomly too for light entertainment. I read dune at least 3 times. Don't reread books that much in general, partially since I don't have anywhere to keep them so I usually sell them on after reading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

Bridget Jones The Edge of Reason.
    This book is soo funny. Every time I am feeling down all I need to do is read this book and I am in a good mood again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I've lost count of the number of times I've read Salem's Lot. The first copy I had (bought around 1984 when I was 12) fell apart and has been carefully put back together and put away never to be read again. I got a new copy about 10 years ago and last year I bought the deluxe version with illustrations and deleted scenes.

About 15 years ago King was talking about a sequel. Will probably never happen now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

I read the Catcher about 8 times before a mate quitely informed me I could easily be construed as being sinister - so I moved on to Flann O'Brien and have read At Swim-Two Birds 3 times - In any case, I needn't have worried about my potential 'Catcher' addiction - a cousin of mine told me recently that he never goes to sleep without re-reading Enid Blyton's 'Look Out Secret Seven!' - I mean the guy's 27 - I'll leave him be until I hear he's called a secret meeting down in the shed at the bottom of his garden..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 nylon

Dave Eggers' "A Heartbreaking Tale of Staggering Genius" finds its way into my hands quite frequently.

Touching, funny and really playful (check the copyright page for extra text in a minute font)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

smooch71 wrote: »
    I've lost count of the number of times I've read Salem's Lot. The first copy I had (bought around 1984 when I was 12) fell apart and has been carefully put back together and put away never to be read again. I got a new copy about 10 years ago and last year I bought the deluxe version with illustrations and deleted scenes.

About 15 years ago King was talking about a sequel. Will probably never happen now though.

Big Lot fan here too, i love the book. Doubt there'll be a sequel. Fr Callaghan has a big part in the dark tower though, i'd recommend reading it if you haven't done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

"Against a dark background" Iain M. Banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

When I was a kid I used to read and read and read and read anything by Enid Blyton. She ming-warped my mind.

Had a few years re-reading books by Irvine Welsh and have re-read on Angelas Ashes on numerous occasions.

Lately it's been all archaeology, but not as much as I should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

smooch71 wrote: »
    I've lost count of the number of times I've read Salem's Lot. The first copy I had (bought around 1984 when I was 12) fell apart and has been carefully put back together and put away never to be read again. I got a new copy about 10 years ago and last year I bought the deluxe version with illustrations and deleted scenes
    I got that edition with the deleted scenes for Xmas. There were two short stories in this one too, 'Jerusalem's Lot'-a prequel and 'One for the road'-a sequel, they were from one of his short story collections, I really enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

lordgoat wrote: »
    Big Lot fan here too, i love the book. Doubt there'll be a sequel. Fr Callaghan has a big part in the dark tower though, i'd recommend reading it if you haven't done so.

So I believe,

I've read the first two Dark Towers and am about to start the third. Been a big King fan for years and read everything he wrote but only lately got into the towers books. Thought the first one was kinda hard to read but the second was excellent so really looking forward to the waste lands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Yes my edition of Dubliners ended up being held together by sellotape. Had to buy a new edition in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 James-Brod

Definetly Dawnthief by James Barclay, love that book. Also maybe Eragon. Haven't reread any books recently since I always seem to have more to read (Have to finish The Wheel of Time and some other books).

Advertisement