Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Few questions folks...

Getting a numark omni control on tuesday. with behringer speakers. Are they easy to set up? and can I also hook up a mini subwoofer(piggy bass) to it with the speakers aswell all at once?

Used to Traktor Pro, is there any difference between that and Traktor LE that I'm getting with it? Would the controls be already mapped?

or would anyone reccomend using the mixmeister fusion software instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Getting a numark omni control on tuesday. with behringer speakers. Are they easy to set up? and can I also hook up a mini subwoofer(piggy bass) to it with the speakers aswell all at once?

You won't need the sub if they are some sort of Behringer TRUTH Studio monitors, and they're piss easy to set up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Traktor le is just a watered down version of pro, so just use that, if you feel the need to upgrade then you'll get a hefty discount off pro with a cupon in the omni control box!

Don't bother with that other software!

Ah they're only small speakers for using in the gaf, gonna save up for a proper pair soon.

Yeah I was thinking that, thanks. Wasn't too keen on changing either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Naasty

Lads, is fog fluid easily available in dublin?

Yeah it is a few shops sell it I just cant remember any names,ill ask my mate if you can't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Naasty wrote: »
    Yeah it is a few shops sell it I just cant remember any names,ill ask my mate if you can't find it.

I'm thinking I may as well get it with my Thomann order. 12E for 5 Litres seems ok, doubt City Centre prices will be much better.

What I dont know anything about is the versions. The stuff I'm looking at is class E.

May well start mixing my own in the future, seems a very viable option. Think we still have a de-ioniser from the film processing gear :)

Can anyone tell me more than one way how to get mysongs from my desktop onto a laptop, I have itunes and an ipod so all my songs are kinda scattered around?

Traktor won't pick up my ipod when I plug it into the laptop, is it supposed to?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Can anyone tell me more than one way how to get mysongs from my desktop onto a laptop, I have itunes and an ipod so all my songs are kinda scattered around?

Traktor won't pick up my ipod when I plug it into the laptop, is it supposed to?

Cheers

USB pen. If you have a mac you can drag straight from iTunes, and maybe on a PC, I can't remember. If not right click on the track, go into get info, and it'll say where the file is.

You wan't more than one way...ok, a less easy way is burning CDs. An even less easy way is emailing the tracks to yourself, and a really stupid way is to upload all the tracks to mediafire and download them again.

USB pen. If you have a mac you can drag straight from iTunes, and maybe on a PC, I can't remember. If not right click on the track, go into get info, and it'll say where the file is.

You wan't more than one way...ok, a less easy way is burning CDs. An even less easy way is emailing the tracks to yourself, and a really stupid way is to upload all the tracks to mediafire and download them again.

iPods store their files using a proprietary architecture. Can be quite hard to get them off in any meaningful way. If there's just certain tracks that you need off then I'd recommend some sort of 3rd party software, ephPod has worked for me before.

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    iPods store their files using a proprietary architecture. Can be quite hard to get them off in any meaningful way. If there's just certain tracks that you need off then I'd recommend some sort of 3rd party software, ephPod has worked for me before.

IIRC you can put later gen iPods into Mass Storage/Transfer mode so that they act like a normal USB drive.

Google: http://ipod.about.com/od/storingfilesandbackup/ss/ipod_storage.htm

• Advertisement

Oh he meant that some of the tracks are on the iPod and not on the laptop. That's more of a problem...

Thanks folks, done a load of cds for now, gonna try that mass storage thing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

howdo lads, just wonderin if some1 could help me out please.
    i've been usin fl studio 9 for a few months now and am gettin the hang of it slowly but surely, just wonderin if any1 can help me out with pads???
    i'm in the middle of gettin a dark jungle track together and i'm baffled as to how to get some dark pads together.

these pads would be similar to what im tryin to accomplish..

i just cant get what i have in me head to come out in the track, if any1 could give me some advice on what works well, a few pointers even just to get meself goin it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again lads,

es :)

es-cee wrote: »
    these pads would be similar to what im tryin to accomplish..

Play minor intervals in the lower half of the keyboard with a soft pad preset, plenty of EQ'd bass, and a nice slow LFO on it for a bit of wobble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Play minor intervals in the lower half of the keyboard with a soft pad preset, plenty of EQ'd bass, and a nice slow LFO on it for a bit of wobble.

cheers mate, will give that a try.

es-cee wrote: »
    cheers mate, will give that a try.

Alternatively, you just tweak a bass patch so the oscillators are a minor 3rd apart (google it) and play single bass notes. There's plenty of ''DNB DARK PAD'' style presets in the major softsynths. In fact, there's definitely tutorials for FL studio up on youtube that cover every aspect of that style of production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Anyone any pointers on this?

I'm having problems setting the thing up. I have everything done and checked (or so I think) but am getting an unbelievably fuzzy noise at certain parts of the track, while right deck is constantly horrible.

Vinyl clean and needles the same. Anyone any ideas?

Jay D wrote: »
    Anyone any pointers on this?

I'm having problems setting the thing up. I have everything done and checked (or so I think) but am getting an unbelievably fuzzy noise at certain parts of the track, while right deck is constantly horrible.

Vinyl clean and needles the same. Anyone any ideas?

It sounds like you have a TT connected to a Line In instead of a Phono input.

Ahh, http://www.djtechtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sl3right.jpg

See the top right, that switch, you need to set it to phono. The reason for this is the fact that TTs are not amplified and send out a very weak signal, where as mixers, soundcards, CDs and MP3 players have amped outputs. I'm not sure of the physics exactly myself but I beleive its the impedance difference that causes the distortion you described. Turning a player really low and then bumping the gain to max can have the same effect.

Thanks for the reply. I am fairly certain I have the small switch things set to phono, think it's up but will check again later when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bdempsey

Hi there,

I'm an approved Ableton demonstrator looking after official Ableton Live product demo's in Ireland North and Republic. Am also training people using Ableton in my production studio VIRTU www.virtustudios.ie.

Any questions using Ableton Live fire them here and I'll get straight back to you.

Many thanks,

Barry Dempsey
    BEng Tech
    VIRTU Studios
    Ableton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Hey I came across a pretty cheap mixer for anyone planning to try their hand at DJing.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3509417/art/hercules/dj-control-mp3-e2.html

It's a Hercules DJ Control MP3 E2. It comes with software called Virtual DJ. It's a pretty basic version of VDJ but good for beginners.

The mixer is powered by USB so you just need a laptop and the VDJ software opened to run it. I'm not sure if it runs with Traktor or any other DJ software but I'd imagine it would.

In total it'll be about €104 including delivery which is a pretty decent price for this mixer imo.

If you're starting out with DJing then this seems like a pretty decent price.

There is another Hercules mixer on the site too.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/163564/art/hercules/dj-control-mp3-controller.html

Again it seems like a good price for a beginner but I think it might be worth the extra €20 for the first one I've posted.

I'm only really a beginner myself and I just thought I'd share this with ya.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Hey I came across a pretty cheap mixer for anyone planning to try their hand at DJing.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3509417/art/hercules/dj-control-mp3-e2.html

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/163564/art/hercules/dj-control-mp3-controller.html

Again it seems like a good price for a beginner but I think it might be worth the extra €20 for the first one I've posted.

I'm only really a beginner myself and I just thought I'd share this with ya.

First one doesn't have a built in soundcard. Second one I had myself and while just about usable, its very ****ty build quality and apparently doesn't play well with macs. That said, it had 5.1 sound for some reason :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Getting a numark omni control on tuesday.

Used to Traktor Pro, is there any difference between that and Traktor LE that I'm getting with it? Would the controls be already mapped?

Sorry to pry ,just wondering what you thought of the omni control ..
    I'm torn between that and the hercules RMX:( Don't know which one to get.

Sorry for extended delay getting back on this but to say I'm up to my tits with work and everything would be an understatement of late.

Anyway, this SL3 is connected as well as I can make out, it's just acting so erratic. Like just there, I had the record on, playing fuzzy as hell, so I took needle off to clean, just to see, then when I put it back on, it played a little, break, break, gap, then nothing.

I haven't had time to commit to trying to sort this out tbh, but I promised myself I'd get it sorted this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Hands down, the Xponent for me. I've used the VCI 100, BCD-2000 and Hercules Mk.1/Mk.2/RMX and its definitely my favourite of the cheaper end of the controllers, and it's definitely (imo) the best of them with a built-in soundcard.

It has also come MASSIVELY down in price in the last year or two. It was selling for about 500 odd in 2008. I got mine secondhand, boxed a few months ago for 220 (but that was a decent enough deal in fairness)

Comes with its own proprietary software 'Torq' which is exceptionally good, clean and unbelievably responsive (I actually prefer the 1.5.1 version to Traktor for basic gigs) and there's so little menu diving. It's painless as well. You just set it up and latency/outputs and mapping is all there. It just works out of the box.

Has a CDJ, Vinyl and Hybrid emulation mode for the jogwheels. The tops of the platters are incredibly touch sensitive although the scratching is obviously a bit naff in Vinyl mode, but you can use the sides of the jogwheels to track without interfering. You can also use VSTs as drop-in effects - although the normal built-in one's are superb.

On top of that, there's a software powered VU meter in the middle of it, there's a tracking bar for each song to show a rough idea of progress, the dedicated looping section is superb, the kill switches and placement of EQ's and gain is perfect, the X/Y pad can be used for controlling effects or as a mouse so you look less like you're playing solitaire :D, all the buttons are backlit and they glow when hit so if you hit something by accident it'll catch your eye, you can set every light on the left or right side to flash in sync with the BPM. In short, its amazing to use and looks absolutely class. You'll get a lot of attention when using it outside of DJ box (although that's arbitrarily good or bad).

20071005223155577.jpg

Yeah, I've a bit of a stiffy for this yoke!

http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_torq_xponent.htm

Is this what you speak of jimi?

Thinking of finally taking the plunge and taking it up, if only as a hobby, but haven't a clue where to start :/

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_torq_xponent.htm

Is this what you speak of jimi?

Thinking of finally taking the plunge and taking it up, if only as a hobby, but haven't a clue where to start :/

Any advice would be appreciated.

Not that I speak for Jimi or anything - but yes, that's it. I have one myself. All I can say is I totally agree with Jimi.

I was in the same boat as yourself a few months ago and finally bought one, probably 10 years later than I should have, but anyway..... It's so easy to use - I mean, I'm a total retard when it comes to technology and I had no problems with it. Like Jimi said, you can just take it out of the box and use it straight away. Simples.

One of the lads here is/was selling something you may be interested in too

http://www.adverts.ie/248732/pro-audio/allen-and-heath-xone-1d-and-ni-audio-2-dj/

Whatever you get, you won't regret it. And if somehow you do regret it, they(MIDI controllers) tend to hold their value quite well, so you should be able to recoup most of your outlay.

ianuss wrote: »
    Not that I speak for Jimi or anything - but yes, that's it. I have one myself. All I can say is I totally agree with Jimi.

I was in the same boat as yourself a few months ago and finally bought one, probably 10 years later than I should have, but anyway..... It's so easy to use - I mean, I'm a total retard when it comes to technology and I had no problems with it. Like Jimi said, you can just take it out of the box and use it straight away. Simples.

One of the lads here is/was selling something you may be interested in too

http://www.adverts.ie/248732/pro-audio/allen-and-heath-xone-1d-and-ni-audio-2-dj/

Whatever you get, you won't regret it. And if somehow you do regret it, they(MIDI controllers) tend to hold their value quite well, so you should be able to recoup most of your outlay.

Thanks for the reply ianuss, good to get feedback from someone who owns one. As I said I have been thinking about it for a while but just didn't know where to start.

Could you tell me do you have to use Torq or can you use it with, say, Traktor? In general, how do you find Torq to use itself?

Cheers

The Xponent looks great, but the only downside is having to use Torq. I know you say you prefer it to Traktor for basic gigs, but Traktor is miles better in general, and Zascar had big problems trying to map the Xponent to Traktor.

For a very similar set-up, and more or less the same price, have a look at picking up a cheap hardware mixer, an Audio 2 DJ, and a Kontrol X1. The only thing I'd choose over my set-up of 2 Kontrol X1s and the club mixer is a full A&H Xone:4D set-up, but that's far too expensive, and would probably be really impractical for playing in most clubs. So basically the X1 is nearly perfect accompanied by a hardware mixer, it also makes integration into a club a lot easier, seeing as you use their mixer, and just slot the X1 between the CD player and the mixer.

The Xponent looks great, but the only downside is having to use Torq. I know you say you prefer it to Traktor for basic gigs, but Traktor is miles better in general, and Zascar had big problems trying to map the Xponent to Traktor.

For a very similar set-up, and more or less the same price, have a look at picking up a cheap hardware mixer, an Audio 2 DJ, and a Kontrol X1. The only thing I'd choose over my set-up of 2 Kontrol X1s and the club mixer is a full A&H Xone:4D set-up, but that's far too expensive, and would probably be really impractical for playing in most clubs. So basically the X1 is nearly perfect accompanied by a hardware mixer, it also makes integration into a club a lot easier, seeing as you use their mixer, and just slot the X1 between the CD player and the mixer.

Thanks for the reply.

When you say cheap hardware mixer what would you have in mind? And what exactly does the Audio 2 DJ do? From what I gather its a soundcard (probably not), would there be any point in getting that unless I had very good quality speakers? I'm not planning on DJ'ing in a club anytime soon so I don't want to spend big money.

Apologies for sounding quite noobish :o

• Advertisement

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

When you say cheap hardware mixer what would you have in mind? And what exactly does the Audio 2 DJ do? From what I gather its a soundcard (probably not), would there be any point in getting that unless I had very good quality speakers? I'm not planning on DJ'ing in a club anytime soon so I don't want to spend big money.

Apologies for sounding quite noobish :o

Search this forum for 'mixer' and have a look at the threads, I've a Behringer DJX 750 which I picked up on ads for about €100 and it's served me well until now, but there's better mixers with no effects etc you can get for around the same price. The Audio 2 is a soundcard, you're right, it lets you route two channels on Traktor through two channels on the mixer so you can use the EQs and crossfader etc.

Advertisement