Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 skittles2k10

hey I'm lookin to start DJing in a local pub in town and I want to get some of my own equipment - a friend of mine reccomended this forum & adverts.ie to me. As I am new to it I was wondering if someone on here would be able to reccomend which equipment to get.

I have already done a few private parties and last weekend I did my first gig in a pub but I was using someone elses equipment. Well it was just the PA system but I would like to have my own...

Any info would be great thanks again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

hey I'm lookin to start DJing in a local pub in town and I want to get some of my own equipment - a friend of mine reccomended this forum & adverts.ie to me. As I am new to it I was wondering if someone on here would be able to reccomend which equipment to get.

I have already done a few private parties and last weekend I did my first gig in a pub but I was using someone elses equipment. Well it was just the PA system but I would like to have my own...

Any info would be great thanks again :D

Search this forum for 'what controller', there's a massive thread there about all aspects of digital DJing (I think it's in the Hot Links sticky actually).

If you can afford it, get CD decks, and if you're really rich, get vinyl decks.

That's basically all you need to know...PAs are easy, just get the best you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

So I'm thinking either the

M-AUDIO TORQ XPONENT:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/maudio_torq_xponent.htm

(Which if bought from Thomann comes pre-set to work with Traktor I think?)

Or the VESTAX VCI 100 DJ MIDI CONTROLLER:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/vestax_vci_100_dj_midi_controller.htm

Which I believe I would need the Audio 2 DJ also if I wished to fully utilise it?

Any recommendations on what to do?

Also can someone tell me the difference between the above mentioned and this:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_instruments_traktor_kontrol_x1.htm

Thanks for any help. :)

Eddie Ere wrote: »

M-AUDIO TORQ XPONENT:

Or the VESTAX VCI 100 DJ MIDI CONTROLLER:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/vestax_vci_100_dj_midi_controller.htm

Which I believe I would need the Audio 2 DJ also if I wished to fully utilise it?

Any recommendations on what to do?

Also can someone tell me the difference between the above mentioned and this:

http://www.thomann.de/ie/native_instruments_traktor_kontrol_x1.htm

Thanks for any help. :)

The VCI is an all-in-one controller, so it has a built in mixer (a MIDI mixer), same as the Xponent, but the X1 is made to be used alongside a hardware mixer. That's the difference.

Between the VCI and the Xponent the VCI's jog wheels are the big selling point, so if you want to scratch (ish) or use the jog wheels for controlling effects, get the VCI.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Between the VCI and the Xponent the VCI's jog wheels are the big selling point, so if you want to scratch (ish) or use the jog wheels for controlling effects, get the VCI.
    Not really mate, the feel of the jog wheels on the Xponent are actually nicer, but that's still no reason to buy it. No one is really going to scratch on a controller anyway. The vci is a better more solid unit, and with the Audio 2 DJ & traktor the sound quality is considerably better.

I kinda wish they'd release a new version of the xponent, if they fixed some issues with it and made a decent mapping for traktor it could be a great unit. the layout etc is actually kinda more usable than the vci.

I still don't get why someone does not come out with something similar to both but better. I'm hoping Native Instruments will release an X3 or X5 - something like the Kontrol X1 but bigger with 2/4 channels, a built in sound card, job wheels and all the buttons you need. That would be sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

M-AUDIO TORQ XPONENT:

It comes with Torq. Which is fine. Well, I find it fine anyway. Easy to use. But Traktor is 'industry standard' after all, and you would have to assume that's for a reason. There are mappings available for Traktor too if you really want to use it - I know Zascar had issues but maybe there are beter mappings available now - I don't know?!

Zascar is probably the best person to offer advice as he has owned both the xponent and the VCI.

Personally, I find the xponent great. It's a doddle to use - the layout is really user-friendly and the jog-wheels are great. I couldn't care less about effects or any of that sh1te, I just wanted something easy to set-up and play with.

Anything else you wanna know, just ask.

Zascar wrote: »
    Not really mate, the feel of the jog wheels on the Xponent are actually nicer, but that's still no reason to buy it. No one is really going to scratch on a controller anyway. The vci is a better more solid unit, and with the Audio 2 DJ & traktor the sound quality is considerably better.

I kinda wish they'd release a new version of the xponent, if they fixed some issues with it and made a decent mapping for traktor it could be a great unit. the layout etc is actually kinda more usable than the vci.

I still don't get why someone does not come out with something similar to both but better. I'm hoping Native Instruments will release an X3 or X5 - something like the Kontrol X1 but bigger with 2/4 channels, a built in sound card, job wheels and all the buttons you need. That would be sweet.

Oh right, I thought the jogs on the VCI were supposed to be great.

I'd say they will release something else, even just by the fact that it's called an X1. It's a very kind of niche controller too, so it'd make sense for them to make another.

Thank you for all the tips so far!

I'm swaying towards the Vestax at the minute because I am familiar with Traktor and would prefer to use that programme.

I have just one more question; ianuss, you mentioned you couldn't care about effects and the like. Is there not programmable knobs/buttons on the xponent to use effects within Torq? Or do you mean something different? From what I gather I can use effects on Traktor with the use of the Vestax?

Thank you for all the tips so far!

I'm swaying towards the Vestax at the minute because I am familiar with Traktor and would prefer to use that programme.

I have just one more question; ianuss, you mentioned you couldn't care about effects and the like. Is there not programmable knobs/buttons on the xponent to use effects within Torq? Or do you mean something different? From what I gather I can use effects on Traktor with the use of the Vestax?

No, there are knobs assigned for effects with the xponent. There's 4 knobs for each deck. And you can choose from 10 effects. I was just saying that traktor & the VCI, AFAIK has way more. But the whole effects mularky just wasn't an issue when I was lookin to buy - it's just not something I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Guys just a quick question, whenever I go to open Virtual DJ it comes up "error in the video driver", does anyone know whats the cause of this and more importantly how to fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've got a quick question too. I play in a band, and we've started using Reason and Ableton to sequence, sample, synthesise, process, whatever. We've got inputs and controllers sorted, output is causing headaches. So for bands playing with laptops - is it alright to just use the internal line out with an RCA splitter and some adapters that will take the stereo mini jack into two mono 1/4" jacks? Or is an interface/interfaces+mixer/some other setup expected?

El Pr0n wrote: »
    I've got a quick question too. I play in a band, and we've started using Reason and Ableton to sequence, sample, synthesise, process, whatever. We've got inputs and controllers sorted, output is causing headaches. So for bands playing with laptops - is it alright to just use the internal line out with an RCA splitter and some adapters that will take the stereo mini jack into two mono 1/4" jacks? Or is an interface/interfaces+mixer/some other setup expected?

You mean the line-out on your laptop? You'll get way better quality using outs on whatever soundcards you have, and adapters and splitters are only going to make the quality even worse. If you can try and take a master out from each soundcard, and buy proper cables for whatever you need, don't use adapters.

If you're using the internal outs you're only going to sound as good as the PCI soundcard is, which is generally pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Exactly as Electrogrimey said. To add to this: might be a good idea to get a sound card with a ground lift if your budget can allow. Or maybe a cheap DI box (lots of bands will have these to hand already).

This is the number one problem I face when setting up local live acts, in the club. Using the laptop minijack causes problems so often. Not reliable at all. The thing of splitting and bringing into two 1/4" jacks DOES work, and IS ok if you're in a pinch, but if you're going to be using the computer more than once or twice in your live setup, get a dedicated sound card. They're relatively cheap these days, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Thanks guys! I've got an Alesis iO14 interface, but it adds crackles and things to our recordings all the time, so I'm reluctant to commit to using it in a live show. Any sort of gigs like that are a while off, I'm just taking stock of what I can do. Nice one guys :)

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I've got an Alesis iO14 interface, but it adds crackles and things to our recordings all the time, so I'm reluctant to commit to using it in a live show. Any sort of gigs like that are a while off, I'm just taking stock of what I can do. Nice one guys :)

If it crackles then maybe the latency settings are just not set up properly? Latency is pretty user friendly on Ableton, maybe have a look at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

howdy chaps

just got a set of sound lab vinyl plus a mixer!
    finding it fairly difficult learning the basics, any advice for a newb?

should i do a course or does anyone have a particular recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jordan.. wrote: »
    howdy chaps

Look up tutorials on youtube, there's no need for paid courses.

howdy chaps

Definitely no need to do a course. Buy two vinyls you like. Look up a few tutorials, and then sit at your decks, play one record, and then try beatmatch the other to it. When you do, reset the pitch fader on the other one, and then beatmatch that one quicker than last time. It'll take a long time, days, weeks, but you'll get it.

howdy chaps

Ellaskins on youtube is awesome. Tonnes of vids on pretty much every aspect of djing.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins

Looking to also invest in a set of speakers when I raise funds for the mixer, so could anyone recommend ones to me? Generally used for bedroom DJ'ing but preferrably with good sound quality and volume level ;)

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Looking to also invest in a set of speakers when I raise funds for the mixer, so could anyone recommend ones to me? Generally used for bedroom DJ'ing but preferrably with good sound quality and volume level ;)

Thanks.

Yamaha Hs50s.

Thanks.

When you say generally do you have any other plans for them?

The Rokit clones(Originals arent cheap) might be worth a look. Ellaskins above uses them, think they're £125 a pair and they're active so no amps etc.

Nope just for bedroom listening puposes with good sound quality and fairly compact.

I just gave those a quick Google, I can see the originals but can't find any clones. Would you have a link to them?

Was linked them from his blogTV before, but cant find it now.

Shot off a quick email there. Will let you know if/when he responds :)

Good man J :)
    they r the pearl sound 5 given to me from intimidation.
    v good speakers
    j

Here we go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Iq9V2urkg

To buy:
    http://www.getinthemix.co.uk/Kool-Sound-Pearl-5-Active-Speakers.htm
    169 GBP Though, still probably worth it though.

Cheers mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

Hi all. This question may have been answered allready and apologies in advance if it was!
    I'm new to making music and I'd like to get started?
    Q. I'd like to try and put some tunes/pieces together via some typre of music software and my PC. Can any one recommend any software that would allow me to do this? and or any other advice on what else I might need to start making my own music.
    Also is there any ? video editing software that maybe I could put with the music I make so that perhaps I could for e.g post it all on somewhere like You Tube?
    Thanks in advance for any info. Very much appreciated.

DustyMan wrote: »
    Hi all. This question may have been answered allready and apologies in advance if it was!
    I'm new to making music and I'd like to get started?
    Q. I'd like to try and put some tunes/pieces together via some typre of music software and my PC. Can any one recommend any software that would allow me to do this? and or any other advice on what else I might need to start making my own music.
    Also is there any ? video editing software that maybe I could put with the music I make so that perhaps I could for e.g post it all on somewhere like You Tube?
    Thanks in advance for any info. Very much appreciated.

You need a DAW (music production software), the most popular ones are Ableton and Logic. Either of them are a good bet. Then you need a decent pair of headphones, and then you can start making music. After that a good pair of studio monitors are important, and a MIDI keyboard helps too. A good soundcard should come in there too. It all depends on how much you have to spend.

My Xponent is just after being shipped. Cheers for all the help. Will be getting the monitors when I save a few more cents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Hi guys, just a question.....

Got upgraded to Traktor Pro there, I'm not the best at setting loops.

Is there anyway to set the looping like it is in Traktor LE? Like when you set a cue it always sticks to the bars?

Have an Omni Control and its basically just a loop in loop out thing so I'd have to be bang on right with the cues.

Advertisement