Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Input: XLR (3-pin), RCA & 1/4" TRS - 10k Ohm

A 3.5 to 1/4" cable is easy to source, but I have no Idea on the regular impedance. 10K Ohm seems high for a line in.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Input: XLR (3-pin), RCA & 1/4" TRS - 10k Ohm

A 3.5 to 1/4" cable is easy to source, but I have no Idea on the regular impedance. 10K Ohm seems high for a line in.

Thanks, unfortunately I'm not the most technically literate.

Do you mean 10k Ohm is too high for it to be used as a set of laptop speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Thanks, unfortunately I'm not the most technically literate.

Do you mean 10k Ohm is too high for it to be used as a set of laptop speakers?

What are you gonna be using these for? Seems a bit overkill for just laptop speakers. Also, if you're going to take it straight from the line out of your laptop, the quality of your built-in soundcard probably wouldn't be good enough to make getting speakers that good worth it, a normal set of decent ipod speakers type thing would be more fitting, unless you were going to get a proper external soundcard.

What are you gonna be using these for? Seems a bit overkill for just laptop speakers. Also, if you're going to take it straight from the line out of your laptop, the quality of your built-in soundcard probably wouldn't be good enough to make getting speakers that good worth it, a normal set of decent ipod speakers type thing would be more fitting, unless you were going to get a proper external soundcard.

For listening to myself mixing as well as normal listening. I just noticed you recommended the Hs50's last time I asked. Completely missed that. After doing a quick search I cant seem to find a place to buy online?

The Rokit clones that lethal_bullet recommended are always out of stock or else they have ceased production also.

For listening to myself mixing as well as normal listening. I just noticed you recommended the Hs50's last time I asked. Completely missed that. After doing a quick search I cant seem to find a place to buy online?

The Rokit clones that lethal_bullet recommended are always out of stock or else they have ceased production also.

You can get the Hs50s on Thomann. The thing is these studio monitors aren't built to be nice speakers, they're built to sound bad. The theory is that if a track sounds good on these monitors it'll sound good everywhere. I wouldn't recommend them for just DJing and normal listening, it's overkill like.

• Advertisement

You can get the Hs50s on Thomann. The thing is these studio monitors aren't built to be nice speakers, they're built to sound bad. The theory is that if a track sounds good on these monitors it'll sound good everywhere. I wouldn't recommend them for just DJing and normal listening, it's overkill like.

Ahh, well that clears a lot up, cheers.

What would you recommend for bedroom listening so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

quick question lads, i upgraded to traktor pro from LE, downloaded the upgrade so dont have a disk, i want to back it up just in case, will i need a code or anything to use traktor on different computer say?

Ahh, well that clears a lot up, cheers.

What would you recommend for bedroom listening so?

Couldn't really recommend anything, only really know about production speakers.
    YOP1992 wrote: »
    quick question lads, i upgraded to traktor pro from LE, downloaded the upgrade so dont have a disk, i want to back it up just in case, will i need a code or anything to use traktor on different computer say?

You should have a code for your registration screen thing, the place where you downloaded it, and where you get the updates and everything. Once you can log into that you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Hi folks, have a question I hope someone can answer. I have a fairly basic mixer, sound lab 2 channel. I'm sure everyone has owned one at some stage. Decks fairly basic also. I mix for a hobby, nothing more. I suppose I could've become professional had I stuck with it but circumstances didn't allow it. I won't bore anyone with the details. Anyway, onto the question again. Like I said it's a fairly basic sound lab mixer but I would like to be able to hook it up to my laptop and record my mixes so I can listen to them on my ipod. Really haven't a clue how to do this. I see that many of ye who frequent this particular board upload your own mixes so obviously your PC/Mixer is connected. Can anyone explain what sort of cables etc I might need and how I could actually record my mixes? Cheers. Hopefully this hasn't been asked already. SOrry if it has, I haven't had a chance to read through all pages? Nice one people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

SteoL wrote: »
    suppose I could've become professional had I stuck with it

I love optimism on a Sunday evening. :P

• Advertisement

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I love optimism on a Sunday evening. :P

Ha ha......I say that because me old mates are doing well for themselves today. We used to mix in our bedrooms and do house parties (where I used to go down a treat I have to say). I ended up going down a different route to them so they're out mixing it up whereas I'm stuck in a poxy office. Me old mates are now hard house DJs so we would have taken different routes regardless it seems (I despise hard house). Still love me tunes though.

Any comments/advice on my previous post? Would appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks again.

Its easy to do. With an analogue system like that you simply need to double up the RCA out. A set of cables like below will do the trick. On one pair connect up your normal cable to the monitors/amp. On the other connect an RCA to 3.5mm TRS(the small headphone jack) and plug that into the line in(may be integrated with "mic") of your pc. To record you can use Audacity(google it, its free and well recommended).

RCA%20RCA%20splitter%20black%20700.jpg

Its easy to do. With an analogue system like that you simply need to double up the RCA out. A set of cables like below will do the trick. On one pair connect up your normal cable to the monitors/amp. On the other connect an RCA to 3.5mm TRS(the small headphone jack) and plug that into the line in(may be integrated with "mic") of your pc. To record you can use Audacity(google it, its free and well recommended).

RCA%20RCA%20splitter%20black%20700.jpg

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭markhiggins

Really basic question for you, getting one if the Hercules mixers as a present for a mate but it doesn't have a built in sound card. I presume this means he can't listen to the track he is currently playing and the one that's coming up next at the same time. Is the answer a USB sound card that can just have the mixer running through it to the laptop? I know the laptop has 2 headphone jacks but they obviously just put out the same sound! Thanks in advance!

What laptop is it? If it has two jacks it may have a dual channel soundcard.

Other than that a USB soundcard is what you want.

It's a hp pavilion, fairly run of the mill! Is the USB soundcard loads of hassle or is it pretty much plug and play? Would you be much better off just finding something with a built in sound card? They just get a bit pricey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

It's a hp pavilion, fairly run of the mill! Is the USB soundcard loads of hassle or is it pretty much plug and play? Would you be much better off just finding something with a built in sound card? They just get a bit pricey!

I assume the controller your on about is the mp3 e2? I got that an a soundcard, handy enough to hook up but I never got the output through the headphones working properly. To be honest it was probably just a google search away but I hate midi controllers so wasn't bothered to look.

If it is the above controller then you will most likely need another soundcard, can be got relatively cheap on thomann.de

I assume the controller your on about is the mp3 e2? I got that an a soundcard, handy enough to hook up but I never got the output through the headphones working properly. To be honest it was probably just a google search away but I hate midi controllers so wasn't bothered to look.

If it is the above controller then you will most likely need another soundcard, can be got relatively cheap on thomann.de

Ye that's the one I was looking at alright! It's really only for personal use, he's not doing anything serious with it! Those USB sound cards range from about £3 on amazon to over a hundred in other places, for what I'm looking for would one for 20 or 30 euro do?

A decent soundcard isnt cheap. Might be better off getting a MIDI with an internal one. Maybe one of the other Hercules models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Ye that's the one I was looking at alright! It's really only for personal use, he's not doing anything serious with it! Those USB sound cards range from about £3 on amazon to over a hundred in other places, for what I'm looking for would one for 20 or 30 euro do?

I got this http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx
    Seems to go grand, others might have suggestions for what you can get that could be better/cheaper.

• Advertisement

No, single channel, you need something with two channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Just Kinda curious :)

How much would it cost for a guy starting from scratch to have the equipment to be a dj in a club? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

If you've a laptop, and you're going 2nd hand you're looking at about 400-500 to start off digital DJing; maybe a bit less. Half that if you're just doing house parties and the like and don't mind pirating software (this isn't including a PA/Speakers mind).

If you're a Vinyl DJ and you're going 2nd hand about 600 odd for 2x Technics 1210s and an entry level mixer. Add on Vinyl accordingly

If you're a CD based Jocky and you're going 2nd hand, you're looking at anywhere between 800e and about 3k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Thanks jimi_t2 :)
    In your opinion (and I guess everyone else on the board) what is better?

Laptop? Vinyl dj? or cd dj?

what is likely to get you more gigs and be more sought after etc?

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Thanks jimi_t2 :)
    In your opinion (and I guess everyone else on the board) what is better?

Laptop? Vinyl dj? or cd dj?

In this order, assuming you're the same standard at all three: vinyl, CD, laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

LighterGuy wrote: »

none,its all down to how a good a dj you are,not what gear your rocking.

although some people might frown upon the laptop dj.

pick the medium you want to use not what gets you gig because(and heres the dream crushing reality)this might only ever be a hobby for you :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

seannash wrote: »
    none,its all down to how a good a dj you are,not what gear your rocking.

QFT
    although some people might frown upon the laptop dj.

People are going to start getting over this very quickly in the next couple of years. About 80% of all brand-name DJs use Laptops predominately for DJing (excluding Dubstep, D'n'B and the odd Dub/Reggae DJ). Anyone who does any sort of a ''live'' set is using a laptop as well - it nicely bridges the gap between production and DJing and acts as a gateway into one or the other
    pick the medium you want to use not what gets you gig because(and heres the dream crushing reality)this might only ever be a hobby for you :eek:

That's about the gist of it. I'd go for laptops personally. Smallest financial outlay, the most portable and the most scope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jakobmckernan

Hi Guys,

I'm relatively new to the whole vinyl thing and i need a bit of help.
    I've bought a technics mk2 turntable. However, it has no needle or speakers. If anyone could tell me where to get a replacment needle and a good amplifier/speaker it would be a great help. Ideally these would not be too expensive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 woozle

I'd get the needles from a shop - best not to go 2nd hand with them. There's a shop near Henry Street that does all DJ stuff, cant remember name or street, but google it. They'll reccommend the best needles to use, and if you bring your Technics in they'll replace them for you. You should also get a book - think it's called How To DJ Properly. Tells you everything from the kind of gear to buy, how to set it up, to actually becoming professional. You can get 2nd hand speakers from adverts.ie - just check they work before you buy. I have Alesis M1 Active, and I reckon they're good - you can adjust the back to suit the room they're in. Hope that helps

Advertisement