Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LowEndFreq

Don't know much about the toneport, but it looks like you might be able hook it up with USB, and then take two channels either out of the line ins or the guitar ins...I don't know if that'll work the same as a regular soundcard or not though.

You can take it straight out of your audio out, but you can't use an external mixer that way, but it's fine if you want to use your software's internal faders and EQs with a MIDI controller. That might have a difference in sound quality than taking it out of USB, but I need verification on that...

Well thanks for the help.. im still looking into it myself, and everyone i ask is like.. "Errmmmm i guess you could, not sure though... "

Oh yeah, and i've got virtual DJ, so i'd be using that, if it's any help knowing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

LowEndFreq wrote: »
    Well thanks for the help.. im still looking into it myself, and everyone i ask is like.. "Errmmmm i guess you could, not sure though... "

Oh yeah, and i've got virtual DJ, so i'd be using that, if it's any help knowing that.

Maybe try it out now and see if it works, that'll answer the question either way!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 35 langer123

Hi

I'm going to purchase the Vestax VCI 300:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/vestax_vci300.htm

I also intend purchasing a set of speakers:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/krk_rp5_g2_rokit.htm (2 of these)

I'm not completely sure what cables or splitters I need to hook my controller up to these speakers (Not buying an amp).
    Could somebody point me in the right direction and the best quality wires to purchase?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to connect the first pair of RCA's to the speakers, the second pair are your monitor(headphones).

The G2s take RCA inputs so a Ssnake RCA X2 to RCA X2 cable is all you need. Be aware though that this is unbalanced and as such you'll want to keep it away from sources of interference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

just wondering does anyone have ear moulds made and are they reccomended? I read somewhere that some people actually wear them when they are going to nightclubs just for a night out.

• Advertisement

You need to connect the first pair of RCA's to the speakers, the second pair are your monitor(headphones).

The G2s take RCA inputs so a Ssnake RCA X2 to RCA X2 cable is all you need. Be aware though that this is unbalanced and as such you'll want to keep it away from sources of interference.

Thanks Lethal_Bulklet

Whats sort of things would cause interference?

Technically everything electrical causes interference to some degree, but its the big culprits that you want to avoid. 240V Power cables(like the ones into the back of your PC and monitor(s)), light fixtures in some cases, guitar tubes I think, anything with large capicitors. Basically just take the outs from the controller and run them up one side of the desk and around to the monitors. Then turn 'em on but run no signal through them(volume up though). If there is very noticeable noise you should do some cable tidying.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sian

Hi guys,

I tried last year to get up and running on the Numark D2 but my pc of the time told me it would take Librarian 3 weeks (yes!!!) to process all my music. I had to abondon doing that because I just couldn't hog the computer for 3 weeks. Unfortunately on my Lacie external hard drive I have a lot of music that's in all sorts of different formats (mp3, mp4, flac, ogg, aac, apple lossless) and I'm worried this could pose a problem. I'll be using a Macbook and my external hard drive (and probably not my iphone) for djing.

Librarian was just such a headache last time that I was wondering if anyone had any advice on any other programs I should put my music through to eliminate any problems with Librarian or make the process faster. I'd like to be able to see as much info on the songs I'm mixing as possible on the viewer on the Numark D2. Thanks!!! Sian

sian wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I tried last year to get up and running on the Numark D2 but my pc of the time told me it would take Librarian 3 weeks (yes!!!) to process all my music. I had to abondon doing that because I just couldn't hog the computer for 3 weeks. Unfortunately on my Lacie external hard drive I have a lot of music that's in all sorts of different formats (mp3, mp4, flac, ogg, aac, apple lossless) and I'm worried this could pose a problem. I'll be using a Macbook and my external hard drive (and probably not my iphone) for djing.

Librarian was just such a headache last time that I was wondering if anyone had any advice on any other programs I should put my music through to eliminate any problems with Librarian or make the process faster. I'd like to be able to see as much info on the songs I'm mixing as possible on the viewer on the Numark D2. Thanks!!! Sian

What's wrong with iTunes?

thanks for the reply. Apparently to use the Numark D2 u must put your music through Librarian first. :-( only way to properly see the info u need on the songs

• Advertisement

I imagine the Numark will still read the ID3 tags, so possibly any software that edits ID3 tags will work, iTunes included?

as far as i know yes. it's give me the track name and artist, but if i want other into like dynamics, bpm etc, gotta use Librarian.

sian wrote: »
    as far as i know yes. it's give me the track name and artist, but if i want other into like dynamics, bpm etc, gotta use Librarian.

That info is probably still stored in the tag data, but even if you could find out where, you'd still need to scan it with a BPM analyzer anyways.

All in all, you need a faster way of doing it. What spec machine are you doing it on? If you used a quad you could put it on cores 3 and 4 and leave it going for three or four days in the background. How many tracks are we talking about?

Just wondering what programme you use to burn cds? I'm cracking up that some of my disc burnt on itunes are being burned as VBR and others aren't and I cant seem to find much info on how I might be able to change the settings.

I suppose nero would be best but thought itunes would be handier, obviously not as i'm trying to organise my music collection before i go back to college.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

I just got a set of sound labs and a decent mixer. Love my tunes so obviously always wanted a set to play around with. Am looking to improve. Have got an idea of the basics etc from youtube videos but theres only so much.

How did you guys basically get good???

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭lissacahaluke

Hey all,
    I was thinking of getting into djing for home use and maybe a few small gigs around my local town.

I thought I might get the numark m1 usb mixer and download virtual dj i dont have much of a budget so ill get other stuff later.
    What do you all think?
    Thanks,
    Luke Delaney.

Just wondering what programme you use to burn cds? I'm cracking up that some of my disc burnt on itunes are being burned as VBR and others aren't and I cant seem to find much info on how I might be able to change the settings.

I suppose nero would be best but thought itunes would be handier, obviously not as i'm trying to organise my music collection before i go back to college.

Are they VBR in the collection before you burn them? If they are they'll burn that way, but if they're not then I can't see any reason why they should change when you're burn them...(Just realised, are you talking about importing them or ripping them to blank CDs?)
    maxxie wrote: »
    I just got a set of sound labs and a decent mixer. Love my tunes so obviously always wanted a set to play around with. Am looking to improve. Have got an idea of the basics etc from youtube videos but theres only so much.

How did you guys basically get good???

Practice. It's the only way. Watch the videos on technique on youtube, get that down with practice. Then, download a load of mixes by your favourite DJs, live sets, essential mixes, and listen to how they mix their tunes, maybe try and copy them on your decks, and get your own style by blending all your influences together.
    Hey all,
    I was thinking of getting into djing for home use and maybe a few small gigs around my local town.

I thought I might get the numark m1 usb mixer and download virtual dj i dont have much of a budget so ill get other stuff later.
    What do you all think?
    Thanks,
    Luke Delaney.

If you don't have much of a budget I wouldn't say theres any point throwing away money on gear that you're going to upgrade in a few months anyway. Virtual DJ is far from professional, I wouldn't really recommend it. You'd be better saving up a bit longer and getting Traktor or Serato. It's a bit more expensive, but in the long run it's cheaper than buying Virtual DJ and then Traktor.

The mixer is a decent idea, although another option would be to get a soundcard and a cheap, non USB mixer. That way you could use the venue's mixer if you're playing out, which would be a lot better than that Numark.

All in one MIDI controllers are another route you could go down, there's a load of threads on MIDI controllers, just do a quick search.

Are they VBR in the collection before you burn them? If they are they'll burn that way, but if they're not then I can't see any reason why they should change when you're burn them...(Just realised, are you talking about importing them or ripping them to blank CDs?)
    The ones that were VBR I converted with a programme and then burned them, they were still reading as VBR, but I'm using Nero now so thats going better.
    Was wondering though does anyone use any other programme and does burn speed really matter?

Hi

I just bought the Vestax VCI300:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/vestax_vci300.htm

And the following powered monitors(2):
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/krk_rp6_rokit_g2.htm

I was wondering if it would be possible and better to connect TRS/Balanced cables between my controller and speakers?

If yes, could you provide me with some links or ideas of exactly what I need to get?

Thanks in advance.

The primary out on the VCI a pair of 1/4" Mono TRS jacks and there is a TRS in on each speaker. Job done. Just make sure you buy mono leads:)

• Advertisement

The primary out on the VCI a pair of 1/4" Mono TRS jacks and there is a TRS in on each speaker. Job done. Just make sure you buy mono leads:)

Thanks Lethal_Bullet. Another question is you dont mind.

Would these 1/4" Mono TRS Jacks be the best choice for me in terms of sound quality, for the current equipment I have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

alryt hows it goin im just wondering if this is a good controller to use im new to djing and looking to use this controller with virtual dj and also wondering if it will work with virtual dj aswell ??

http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_stealth_control.htm

also been looking at this aswell

http://www.thomann.de/ie/hercules_dj_control_steel.htm

if you have advice on what software/controller would be good for to start off with id well appreciate it

cheers

A V A wrote: »
    alryt hows it goin im just wondering if this is a good controller to use im new to djing and looking to use this controller with virtual dj and also wondering if it will work with virtual dj aswell ??

http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_stealth_control.htm

also been looking at this aswell

http://www.thomann.de/ie/hercules_dj_control_steel.htm

if you have advice on what software/controller would be good for to start off with id well appreciate it

cheers

Check this thread, it mentions more or less every digital DJing set-up possible, have a read through it and see which one suits you.

cheers electrogrimey
    but anyone still could give their own personal advice or what ever still i appreciate it

A V A wrote: »
    cheers electrogrimey
    but anyone still could give their own personal advice or what ever still i appreciate it

That thread basically says the same as I'll say, which is I'd recommend getting a mixer, a soundcard, and a controller instead of using an all-in-one controller.

Good 2 channel soundcard is the Native Instruments Audio 2 DJ, there's a rake of cheap mixers around, Numark and Behringer ones especially, and controllers go from as cheap as the Korg Nano range, or a cheap MIDI keyboard like an M-Audio Oxygen 8, to something like an Evolution UC33e, to the newly released NI Traktor Kontrol X1, all the way up to the expensive Allen & Heath Xone range. They all do exactly the same thing, just with different amounts of knobs/faders/buttons, and different quality ranges.

Have a look at them all and see what you like, a quick search on Thomann.de under DAW controllers will give you a list.

The benifits of this set-up over an all-in-one are:
    1) Easy upgrade potential
    2) Ability to use the DJM-800 when playing in a club, which is much better quality then an all-in-one controller
    3) Can be tailored to your own personal preference
    4) In general will be better quality than something like a Hercules

langer123 wrote: »
    Thanks Lethal_Bullet. Another question is you dont mind.

Would these 1/4" Mono TRS Jacks be the best choice for me in terms of sound quality, for the current equipment I have?

Using the VCI, there would be no point using the XLRs as far as I know. The VCI does TRS and RCA and the Rokits take TRS and XLR, so TRS is the logical choice.

i have a macbook pro and iv been told dey have decent sound cards in them??from what iv seen a-trak and others jus go from their mac? the uc33, from what iv seen in youtube its been used with ableton thats all iv seen would it work with the likes of trackor n virtual dj. im useless with mapping things together
    thanks for the help man

oh and forgot to add is that i dont have alot of money to spend so thats why i thought of the all in one controllers and i know buyin the decent price stuff will save me money in the long run but im not ready to be goin doin gigs r anytin im just focusing on my other music

I'm usually the one answering the questions here, but this time I've a question.

Can anyone reccommend a 4 stereo channel interface? i.e. one with 4 pairs of RCA outputs? The only one I can find is the Audio 8 DJ, and I'm looking to see if there's a cheaper option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

This isn't really a DJing or production question, but I reckoned this would be the best place to ask.

I'm looking for a little mixer. I'm a guitar player primarily, I've got a rake of pedals, and what I want to do is take signals other than my guitar and route them into my pedal board, so I could play with different sounds using my guitar gear (My favourite idea is to sample and pitch shift a singer's voice, much like this). I know nowt about mixers, I was hoping there'd be a way I could have this all on my pedal board, without interrupting the guitar's signal chain, and I don't have to unplug stuff to start processing other signals.

I'm looking at things like t h e s e. Cheap and probably awful, but as this isn't gonna be anywhere near a cornerstone of my 'rig' (just a bit of fun for one or two songs), so I'm hesitant to put a lot of money on it.

What does anyone think of this? If I could get a cheapo 4 channel mixer that would achieve this, and handle my keyboard and laptop as well, that would be the best. Thanks guys.

Advertisement