Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing startup sound on Vista

• 21-10-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to do this? I looked everywhere on how to do this.

I tried using this idea i got from the net
    Instead, follow these steps:

1) For best results, boot out of Vista and into an alternative OS, such as XP. (This is assuming you dual boot.)

2) Locate the file "imageres.dll" in Vista's System32 folder. For instance, E:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll. Copy that file into a different location, i.e. your desktop.

3) Download ResHacker.

4) Open ResHacker. Open the imageres.dll file in ResHacker.

5) Find the folder that reads "WAVE" and expand everything below that. This is what it should look like:

6) Right click 1033 (this could have a different name depending on your locale), and click Replace Resource. Click "Open file with new resource", and find the wave file you want to replace it with. Once you're done, in Resource Type, type "WAVE", in Resource Name type "5051", and under Resource Language type "1033" (or whatever number you have). Once done, click Replace.

7) Click File, then click Save. Now you can copy this file to Vista's System32 folder. Keep the imageres_original.dll file ResHack left behind in case you want to revert back to the original sound.
    AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Now I tried this, replacing the imageres.dll file with a modded one but, Windows wont let me do copy, paste or delete anything in the system32 folder. I am the admin of the computer as well.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

locate cmd.exe right click run as admin and copy the file to where it needs to go from the command line.

Edit: just noticed its a dll file your dealing with so you will need to manually register it when you copy it over from the run command

I have never tried to change the start up sound myself so cant say if what you are doing will work or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

You will need to do a takeown of the the file and a cacls on the file to give yourself permission to do so

So
    takeown /f X:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\file.foo

cacls X:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\file.foo /G USERNAME:F

Needs to be ran from an admin command console

So before opening cmd.exe right click and run as administrator

Advertisement