Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

500GB 2.5" USB Powered Ext. Hard Drive?

• 21-10-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need 2 500GB external Hard Drives. They must be 2.5" and can be powered from the USB port alone, so no need for a AC/DC Adaptor. They wont need to be super fast drives or anything as all I'll be using them for is storage, maybe playing some files from like music and movies but no games or anything requiring a quick drive.

I was looking at the WD Passport. A bit expensive for the 500GB one compared to lower capacity passports but nice all the same.

I hear Western Digital are the best manufacturer to go with based on HD reliability, is this still the case?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

if you're worried about HD reliability, don't rely on just one drive. Get two and back up one to the other. Someone at work got a 500 Freecom one off Pixmania for 120 I think. Bit thicker than the usual 2.5" but I thought it was a good deal.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1394455/art/freecom/mobile-drive-classic-2-5.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the input, yup, that's why I'm getting 2. I don't need a TB, just want the files secure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Verbitam have them too

Thanks, had a look at the verbatim on pixmania, €200:eek:

Is 500GB on 2.5" external usb powered new technology or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks, had a look at the verbatim on pixmania, €200:eek:

Is 500GB on 2.5" external usb powered new technology or something?

Yes it is,

Previous largest 2.5" drive that could be powered over USB2.0 was 320GB

• Advertisement

Thanks, probably a while before they drop in price so :(

Seems this is the best deal for one anyway:
    http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=5951&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=500gb+passport&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

Can anyone tell me is WD still the best HD manufacturer to go with?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Personally like WD drives, though I've bought Samsung's too which seem to be very reliable.

Yeah, my friend has a passport and I've two WD Mybooks (which sometimes give delayed write failures but the file they give it on always seems to have been written fine), but my friends passport is very slick and compact. I've seen some enclosures on dealextreme with tv connectivity but I want them more for security/storage.

Advertisement