Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Certified Security Administrator

Options
  • 21-10-2008 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys & Girls,

Has anyone done the Sun Certified Security Administrator exam?

I am doing it at the end of next week. I assume it's similar enough in format to the SCSA. I'm not too worried about it, just putting my head down with the Sybex book.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Well, I take it from the overwhelming response that not too many people are interested in this cert!

For anyone who is, a few things about it; the McGraw Hill book for 9 & 10 is pretty useless for this exam. It struck me as funny that they would put both versions in one book and after going through the book it does appear that it was written for Solaris 9 and they just stuck "& 10" on the title. Nothing about SMF, SST or Zones really in the book.

I purchased the practice exams from SUN also. Coupled with docs.sun.com I was able to cover most of the areas in these. However, I'd say that the exam was much more difficult than the practice exams. Also, compared to the SCSA I & II exams the SCSecA requires a more "general" knowledge of security and IT Systems. There were areas in the exam about Kerberos, Apache hardening and troubleshooting and DNS configuration, rather than the purely Solaris specific areas in the admin exams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

What made you go for this exam? Do you currently work with Solaris, or is it an area you want to get into? Are there many jobs specs looking for it?

I know someone who did the CompTIA Linux+ exam a few years back. But he actually works with Windows and did it more as a hobby. Never met anyone with Sun certification.

And, how did you get on in the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Hi Donaghs,

I've been working with Solaris for about three and a half years, before that I was working with SuSE and Redhat systems as well. At the minute I am working in a security related area as well, so it sort of made sense to do the exam.

I don't know if there are many jobs looking specifically for this cert, in fact I would be surprised if there were any at all that specified this as a requirement. At the same time, it can't hurt to have it. Solaris is pretty popular in telecommunications so if that was an area one was interested in the SCSA would definately be worthwhile. I don't know what the Linux+ is like so I can't really compare anything to it.

I passed it also. Don't think I'll do any more SUN ones for a while!

Advertisement