Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Beginner

Options
  • 21-10-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Is there a certain age that people generally take this up at? I have been considering MMA for a little over a year now but just didnt wanna be embarassed when i turned up and gettin whipped by people who have been training since they were kids, also the fact that I know its frustrating for others when you are working with beginners and dont fancy being in that situation:o Im 24 and have no martial arts training whatsoever but I did do boxing for while as a friend worked in the gym.

I'd be confident that I would be able to hold my own though just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in a similar situation? if so, would you recommend any particular gym or does it matter if you a beginner? Im based in Dublin 15.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LukerC

Yeh was wondering about this aswell, i'm 23 used to do a bit of trad JJ in Coolmine, and would love to do some MMA/BJJ near enough to dublin 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Lad mma classes are full of beginners just like yourselves, check out
    www.ko-martialarts.com there not that far from dublin 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LukerC

Cheers for that dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Go for it bud,

I only started myself there 2 months ago & had no experience in any form to speak of.

Has changed my way of thinking already and always leaves me looking forward for the next session!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Hey in same boat as OP. Would love to take few classes, but am on southside. Any Gym out this side?

cheers

• Advertisement

Only way to find out is go train and see how you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

bigslick wrote: »
    Hey in same boat as OP. Would love to take few classes, but am on southside. Any Gym out this side?

cheers

Loads. Whereabouts? there's www.sgbireland.com www.spartanmma.com www.nextgenerationireland.com plus a few more I'm forgetting

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Roper wrote: »
    Loads. Whereabouts? there's www.sgbireland.com www.spartanmma.com www.nextgenerationireland.com plus a few more I'm forgetting

Am in Blackrock myself. Ill check out those sites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It should be noted the first time you do a class, if you have no experience, then you will most likely get your ass handed to you.

Here's the thing, my experience from MMA clubs is that this will be done in the most polite manner possible, while teaching you why it is happening and leaving you hungry to learn more.

If you have been thinking about doing a class then get to one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

Next Generation is close enough to Blackrock, No 7 or 45 bus routes as far as I remember, but the other 2 are in Walkinstown and Tallaght. If you are willing to travel that distance you might also consider hoping on the Dart to Drumcondra to go to Kokoro MMA - www.mmaireland.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Dragan wrote: »
    It should be noted the first time you do a class, if you have no experience, then you will most likely get your ass handed to you.

Here's the thing, my experience from MMA clubs is that this will be done in the most polite manner possible, while teaching you why it is happening and leaving you hungry to learn more.

If you have been thinking about doing a class then get to one.:)

I would point out that getting your ass handed to you, doesnt mean getting hurt or injured. You wont be expected to do anything dangerous or anything you are uncomfortable with. Its more of a humbling , but enjoyable experience. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

Soory posted this topic in the self defence forum also as I didnt know where most of the responses would come from...

But I think im definetly going to take a look at KO and see how it goes...it seems everyone has been thinking about it and noone asked lol...Looking forward to it !

Good man yourself come down tomorrow night and have a free night on us. We can be hard to find as there's a lot of industrial estates and units around and also our sign is only going up next week (after 18 months!). So be sure to bring the phone number with you and give a ring if you can't find us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

The_Devil wrote: »
    But I think im definetly going to take a look at KO and see how it goes...it seems everyone has been thinking about it and noone asked lol...Looking forward to it !

Good choice, i know a couple of people that train with Barry and all say he is an excellent coach. He's also honest and passionate about the sport having talked to him.

You'll do well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Good man yourself come down tomorrow night and have a free night on us. AND DON'T CALL ME 'ROPER', I'M BARRY ETC.

You were forgetting that one ROPER :P

Its funny, but when I see you around my first thought is There's Roper!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I started MMA in January of this year with no background at all. I'm 26. I had the same questions that you have and had the same fear that I'd look stupid but one of the best things about this sport is the people in it. There's all shapes and sizes so don't worry if your tall/skinny/small/fat cause no one cares. When you go down to your first class you'll come out of it wishing you didn't put it off for so long. And its so addictive that you find yourself wanting more and more.

The best thing to have when you walk in the door is determination. If you think its hard... your right. Its the hardest thing you've ever done. But thats why its so rewarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Anyone on this site train at Spartan MMA?

Thinking of going down there myself.

I too have no previous MA/Wrestling experience and I'm 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭The_Devil

Wont be this week im afraid, not sure if you have seen any of my previous posts but I have a tear in my patellar tendon and im hoping to get it sorted next week. but I'll let you know when im heading over

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'd be another who's interested in taking this up. I'd try it in college but it's just not practical for me. The KO Martial Arts gym is my neck of the woods though which is encouraging.

I'm curious to know when the gym's opening times are as it says on the website that members get access to the weights during open hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Anyone on this site train at Spartan MMA?

Thinking of going down there myself.

I too have no previous MA/Wrestling experience and I'm 25.

Colm O'Reilly moderator of SD/MA runs that club (head coach). Kev and a few others train there on a regular basis but they don't post much. I've trained with COlm on several occasions and I can honestly say if you live in that area you will greatly benefit from training in the Spartan camp. Very cool easy going attitude etc. really nice people.

MNG - If you're thinking of joining an mma gym those little perks like weights room etc. are all nice but you really should be focused on the actually technical training. Ropers/Barry's gym is a respected legitimate MMA club and if you live down that way you'd be foolish not to at least try it a few times with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

MNG - If you're thinking of joining an mma gym those little perks like weights room etc. are all nice but you really should be focused on the actually technical training. Ropers/Barry's gym is a respected legitimate MMA club and if you live down that way you'd be foolish not to at least try it a few times with them.

Ah yeah I understand that. I'm actually a member of a gym already so I wouldn't be in it for perks like that.

I'd be another who's interested in taking this up. I'd try it in college but it's just not practical for me. The KO Martial Arts gym is my neck of the woods though which is encouraging.

I'm curious to know when the gym's opening times are as it says on the website that members get access to the weights during open hours?

Full timetable here

As for the weights and stuff, some people use them before class, most don't but they're nice to have there as an option. We use them a lot for guys who want to compete/get stronger etc. As Kevin said the main focus is what happens on the mats.

Hope to see you soon.

So are any of you people the people who showed up tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Smilingpanda

Didnt want to start a new thread. I am 30 and have no experience whatsoever but am interested in taking up MMA. Am I too old or is it a case of your never too old??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I would say never too old. Age isnt really an issue in this sport. As long as you don't have a dodgey hip or anything. :)

The only thing that seperates people in this sport is weight category. You can be 30 and your opponent can be 18 but as long as your the same weight then what does it matter!

Didnt want to start a new thread. I am 30 and have no experience whatsoever but am interested in taking up MMA. Am I too old or is it a case of your never too old??
    You're never too old to start anything. Get stuck in!

I live in D7, would the gym in drumcondra be the best place for me??

We're in Glasnevin, just beside D7. Is it Phibsboro or Cabra you're in?

map here http://ko-martialarts.com/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3

We're in Glasnevin, just beside D7. Is it Phibsboro or Cabra you're in?

map here http://ko-martialarts.com/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3

Im actually just off the navan rd. Location looks ideal for me. What is the best night to come to start??

• Advertisement

Tomorrow!

Timetable's on the site, classes start at 7.

Advertisement