Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Octavia VRS Diesel 2.0 170 BHP

Options
  • 21-10-2008 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Can I ask one quick question…. Where is the catch?

Resale is not a concern for me as it is a company vehicle…Where else can you get a car with this spec like this for €27.5K new

Side.jpg

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

There aint a catch.:D:D

The vRS diesel is one of the best value cars available today.It looks great IMO, Is fairly quick,Is pretty cheap to run, Is very well built and is extremely well specced.I imagine these same traits will ensure good retained values too

Get "Race Blue" btw:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Loads of fun to drive. Go get one before you reconsider.

I hear the DSG is super, not sure if it's available in the oil burner though.Back is a bit cramped if I remember correctly but it's finished well. Little chrome plates and bits everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Cheap because it has the skoda badge..

it will take a while before people realise that skodas are starting to become very very good cars..and then the prices will increase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This one is also good value despite having a bit of mileage on it:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Skoda/Octavia/RS-2.0/1232698/

Though I would prefer the DSG box to the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Isn't the car 29K.
    I am seriously considering it for next year also.
    Drove one a few weeks ago and was very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

bazz26 wrote: »
    Though I would prefer the DSG box to the manual.

What is DSG? Automatic maybe?

I have been looking the Octavia RS for a while now and would love to get one.

Also why is that the diesel is 170bhp and the petrol is 200bhp? I thought diesel and petrol have the same power throughput these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭omega man

The catch is.....shocking depreciation. I sold a one year old low milage vRS petrol for nearly 8K less than i paid for it. That was over a year and a half ago so is probably even worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

catch is, it's a skoda. People in Ireland are completely inept and realising what a great car they are these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TheNog wrote: »

Also why is that the diesel is 170bhp and the petrol is 200bhp? I thought diesel and petrol have the same power throughput these days

No, Petrol is significantly more powerful than Diesel when like for like is considered.
    You're thinking of turbo diesels (cause all of them are these days) compared to normally aspirated petrols. Therefore a 2 litre turbo diesel can be similar in power output to a N/A petrol. In the case of the Skoda the Petrol happens to be turbo also. Mitsubishi had 400bhp from a 2 litre turbo petrol a few years ago, it's impossible to get that kind of power from a 2 litre diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

TheNog wrote: »

The DSG box uses a twin clutch system which means it can select gears quicker than a regular gear box. Gears can be shifted either manually or automatically. The VAG DSG box has had great reviews.

The vRS petrol uses the VAG 2.0 turbo FSi engine from the Golf GTi. The vRS diesel uses the VAG 2.0 TDi engine with 170bhp (recently changed to Common Rail technology) which is pretty impressive from a 2.0 litre diesel. Adding turbo petrol engines will nearly always give you more power than from similar capacity diesel engines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭poreilly101

Guys, I’ve just read somewhere that the manufacture can upgrade/chip the electronics that will make the engine produce 225bhp with torque of over 400lbs. Is this correct? Can the manufacture make this change and not cause any warranty issues.

Can you advise as to how I go about this as my budget has increased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Guys, Ive just read somewhere that the manufacture can upgrade/chip the electronics that will make the engine produce 225bhp with torque of over 400lbs. Is this correct? Can the manufacture make this change and not cause any warranty issues.

Sounds like a skoda approved re-map. I know its possible to get this done on the same engine in seat leon's in the uk by dealers without warranty issues so presumably if the skoda dealer does it you're smiling. I think the seat ones bring it to about 210 brake

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Guys, I’ve just read somewhere that the manufacture can upgrade/chip the electronics that will make the engine produce 225bhp with torque of over 400lbs. Is this correct? Can the manufacture make this change and not cause any warranty issues.

sounds a bit suspect imo

www.autoremap.ie can get the skoda up to 205bhp from the 170 and also give it an extra 70nm of torques!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

That diesel vRS has enough power as is - I've driven one, and it had a problem putting the power down on damp roads. Putting more power to the front wheels is only going to spoil the drive.

True, you'd have the traction control light winking at ya all day. By all accounts anyway there's slightly more than claimed 170 brake in them to begin with;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

You'd get an '08 one for a song in the new year and get a low tax bill. You'll lose your arse on them if you buy new or an '07 one as it'll be on the old tax regime. Also little point in buying in the UK as they're cheaper here with a bit of a haggle.

Also VAG cars are nearly always putting out more power than what the makers claim. The 2L TFSI actually has about 220hp for example. Remap companies claim massive power increases for power that the car already has in most occasions. Superchips however actually admit this on some VAG models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I have my 2.0 petrol putting out over 260bhp now with just a revo remap and a few other tweaks :D

oh also the English ones are lower spec - no armrest, rear electric windows or climate as standard...

Flaccus wrote: »
    I have my 2.0 petrol putting out over 260bhp now with just a revo remap and a few other tweaks :D

A vrs? Did you put it on a rolling road? I had one of these and it struggled to get power down on damp/wet roads so i would imagine with the revo remap it would be awful. That car is just not made for that power. My 3 MPS has a mass of gadgets to counter the 260bhp through the front wheels and it still can be tricky in the wet.

Yes. 07 2.0 TFSI model. I've had the older 1.8 also.

I had the 1.8 and chipped past 225bhp..also did a few other things like replace dump valve, induction kit, carbon fibre intakes, new exhaust system etc... 2.0 goes higher obviously. Had it tested on rolling road before and after remap about 2 weeks later once everything settled. Don't have much problem putting down the power to be honest. Then I don't drive like a madman, and leave the traction control on most of the time so the power is probably wasted on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

From 200BHP standard?
    Yes. 07 2.0 TFSI model. I've had the older 1.8 also.

I had the 1.8 and chipped past 225bhp..also did a few other things like replace dump valve, induction kit, carbon fibre intakes, new exhaust system etc... 2.0 goes higher obviously. Had it tested on rolling road before and after remap about 2 weeks later once everything settled. Don't have much problem putting down the power to be honest. Then I don't drive like a madman, and leave the traction control on most of the time so the power is probably wasted on me.

I don't get it "chipped past" 225bhp - how? The mk 1 vRS was a 1.8T with 180BHP.

ciarsd wrote: »
    From 200BHP standard?

I don't get it "chipped past" 225bhp - how? The mk 1 vRS was a 1.8T with 180BHP.

225bhp remap from that 1.8T engine is no problem. In saying that it doesnt make sense to me. Look at the previous Leon Cupra R or Audi S3 which had that same 1.8T engine producing a standard 225bhp. The difference being that these cars were built to handle that power.

I suggest going to Briskoda.net and talking to people there who had there's chipped and felt their car had no problem with the handling whether it be a 180bhp or 200bhp model. I don't know what you mean by implying the car not being built for the power. It has uprated brakes, suspension etc.. I certainly enjoyed both of my remaps with no issue, so they made sense to me. 2nd and 3rd were much smoother. Fuel economy was slighlty better as well on the 1.8. I do admit however 200bhp is plenty on the RS, and mine was closer to 215bhp when put on the rolling road the 1st time. So I guess in real terms I didn't gain as much by the remap. Would I do it again ? Probably not. Save the cash instead.

ciarsd wrote: »
    From 200BHP standard?

A standard revo technik remap stage 1 with no other mods gives you 212-215bhp from the 180bhp lump, so it's easy to achieve past 225bhp.

I suggest going to Briskoda.net and talking to people there who had there's chipped and felt their car had no problem with the handling whether it be a 180bhp or 200bhp model. I don't know what you mean by implying the car not being built for the power. It has uprated brakes, suspension etc.. I certainly enjoyed both of my remaps with no issue, so they made sense to me. 2nd and 3rd were much smoother. Fuel economy was slighlty better as well on the 1.8. I do admit however 200bhp is plenty on the RS, and mine was closer to 215bhp when put on the rolling road the 1st time. So I guess in real terms I didn't gain as much by the remap. Would I do it again ? Probably not. Save the cash instead.

I am not anti remap. My point was that the likes of the Cupra R and S3 with the same engine with standard 225 output had upgraded turbo's and brakes/suspension etc in order to handle the power. The 150/180 versions with just a remap are less equipped to cope with the power increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

omega man wrote: »
    225bhp remap from that 1.8T engine is no problem. In saying that it doesnt make sense to me. Look at the previous Leon Cupra R or Audi S3 which had that same 1.8T engine producing a standard 225bhp. The difference being that these cars were built to handle that power.

The differences between the S3 and vRS 1.8t engines is a bigger turbo (K04 on S3, K03s on vRS) and an extra intercooler on the S3, other then that they are basically the same.

As for the vRS not being able to handle the power, the vRS has the same front suspension (rear is different due to 4WD S3), same gearbox, and the same brakes all round so it can easily handle 225bhp and more.

The 1.8t engine can handle 300bhp without having to change engine internals, 500+ bhp with uprated pistons and rods. All depends on the size of the turbo :D
    Having said this, there are plenty of other parts which should be changed so the car can handle 300+, brakes, suspension, diff, front mount intercooler, exhaust, injectors and so on.

omega man wrote: »
    I am not anti remap. My point was that the likes of the Cupra R and S3 with the same engine with standard 225 output had upgraded turbo's and brakes/suspension etc in order to handle the power. The 150/180 versions with just a remap are less equipped to cope with the power increase.

The TT/Cupra/S3 had the AMK engine with stronger internals etc. The Mk1 VRS had an AUQ engine which was an intercooled version of the AGU / ARZ / ARX / AUM 150hp Golf GTi engine. Don't know if they used different turbo's but the part numbers are all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Ferris wrote: »
    The TT/Cupra/S3 had the AMK engine with stronger internals etc. The Mk1 VRS had an AUQ engine which was an intercooled version of the AGU / ARZ / ARX / AUM 150hp Golf GTi engine. Don't know if they used different turbo's but the part numbers are all different.

All 1.8t's are intercooled, the S3/TT 225 and cupra R have 2 side mounted intercoolers and the K04 (bigger) turbo
    The vRS and gti golfs have a single side mount intercooler as does the TT 180.

AUQ engine has a K03s turbo, AUM and so on in the golf's use a K03 turbo which does not flow as much air. There was a couple of golfs with the K03s, the anniversary and there was also 1 other engine code which I can't remember that had the K03s turbo but detuned to 150bhp.

Neilw wrote: »
    All 1.8t's are intercooled, the S3/TT 225 and cupra R have 2 side mounted intercoolers and the K04 (bigger) turbo
    The vRS and gti golfs have a single side mount intercooler as does the TT 180.

Cool, don't know who told me they didn't have one.

Heres a good guide to tuning the 1.8t
    http://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/vag-1-8-turbo.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Skoda Octavia RS Diesel is listed as being around 29K.
    Does anyone know wha the price will be for the new (facelift) model?

Advertisement