Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Far Cry 2

• 21-10-2008 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Seems like this one has gone under the radar a bit, but its out this friday. Anyone getting it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Hate to sound like a big dirty pirate but im playing this early aswell :p Its a great game. Graphics are pretty nice, so is the story even though im not far into it..
    I got a fright at the start I thought jack carver was there but it wasn't him at all.. but who knows eh?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

that's the 2nd game you have admitted to pirating on a public forum. not the smartest thing to say i reckon. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This game looks bloody sweet! can't wait for this on Friday (along with Fable 2, Dead Space & Midnight Club: LA :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

The first one had supercoolpowers. This one doesn't, right? If so what's the hook? Does it have any features that set it apart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

will defo be getting this, cant wait to start spreading fires.

BURRRRRRRN!!!

• Advertisement

grizzly wrote: »
    The first one had supercoolpowers. This one doesn't, right? If so what's the hook? Does it have any features that set it apart?

No superpowers, more realism this time and a huge open world area of Africa to do (more or less) what you want in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I'll defo be getting it, loved the oringinal, loved crysis, new game looks animal from the vids I've seen so far. I am going to be SO broke at the end of this month. Reckon I'll get this and one other and wait til all the games get a bit cheaper or a few are floating around 2nd hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

grizzly wrote: »

The first one on PC had no superpowers. The hook was big large environments which you could tackle whichever way you choose although the levels were still linear in that when you finish one you go to the next. This one embiggens that concept to the same degree as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. giving you a freeform arena with multiple factions to align yourself with and friends you can get killed.
    Also it has a detailed mapmaker that ships on consoles too and a COD4-alike levelling system in the multiplayer.

I've ordered it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭087dannyboy

dazftw wrote: »
    Hate to sound like a big dirty pirate but im playing this early aswell :p Its a great game. Graphics are pretty nice, so is the story even though im not far into it..

Whats the control layout like in this ? is it similar to cod4? never played any of the farcry games. But played the hells highway demo recently and the control layout was horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Thinking of getting the game?

This review for PC should sway you:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198874

I can't wait to put my gun in people's mouths!!! :D

• Advertisement

Flaccus wrote: »
    that's the 2nd game you have admitted to pirating on a public forum. not the smartest thing to say i reckon. :-)

Well if it helps some random people not reporting me(i know there would be) I have it pre-ordered alredy from xtravision along with dead space and fable 2.. fridays going be a hard day on the wallet :D If I like something ill buy it. So far im liking everything! Pirating is such a dirty word lol I prefer play early pay later.. or try before you buy lol
    Whats the control layout like in this ? is it similar to cod4? never played any of the farcry games. But played the hells highway demo recently and the control layout was horrible.

off the top of my head I cant think of it but I do rememeber its easy to control and the guns feel nice. flamethrower is some laugh hah

:D

I wouldn't report people, and fair dues for buying the games.

dazftw wrote: »
    Well if it helps some random people not reporting me(i know there would be)

Gees, someone would have to have a fairly boring life to go around reporting dudes for that... I wouldn't worry tbh. :)

Personally I don't like piracy but I don't like the high prices that some places charge for games either so can understand why some people do it and it's great to see people buying games they like even after copying them. However it's best to be careful discussing any form of copying openly as it is against the games charter on these fourms to even discuss things like making legal backup copies of your own stuff. And someone could potentially get reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

If more manufacturers made demos available of their games before release, it would probably sway even more people away from piracy... It seriously annoys me when there is no demo or the demo is released over a month after the game goes to retail! But I do believe good demos sell more games - one of the last games I bought was "Pure" which up to the demo being released, I hadn't even heard of. But the demo made me decide to actually buy it on release. Speaking of which, is a demo planned for Far Cry 2? I've only ever played the first one on PC and haven't followed any coverage of the Xbox version, other than some generic videos of the scenery...

J-blk wrote: »
    If more manufacturers made demos available of their games before release, it would probably sway even more people away from piracy... It seriously annoys me when there is no demo or the demo is released over a month after the game goes to retail! But I do believe good demos sell more games - one of the last games I bought was "Pure" which up to the demo being released, I hadn't even heard of. But the demo made me decide to actually buy it on release. Speaking of which, is a demo planned for Far Cry 2? I've only ever played the first one on PC and haven't followed any coverage of the Xbox version, other than some generic videos of the scenery...

Yea I had been playing the pure demo about 5 minutes and I decided I was going to buy it! Demos do make it alot better to choose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Defo getting this, looks brilliant. One question I have: are there bullet wounds on the enemies?? :D (sorry to sound like a sadist!) I loved in the original that you could see exactly where the bullets had hit them...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

J-blk wrote: »
    You realise that the vast (VAST!!) majority of people who pirate games dont do it to try it before buying it....its cause it doesnt cost the them anything, and they will get away scott free. Demo's are not going to cut down on piracy. Why download a demo when you can download the full game (pirates mindset).

As for Far Cry, i cant wait for it. Looks fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭087dannyboy

Just read this and its after convincing me, the control layout seems 2 be spot on.:D Ill definatly get this now

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/09/22/were-playing-far-cry-2-right-now-tell-us-what-you-want-to-know/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I'm a bit disappointed on only 16 player online. As for being like Far cry 1. Its nothing at all like it. Don't even know why its called Far Cry 2. Not the same characters or anything. Graphics are very good. Its alot like crysis without the Aliens. or the 1000 euro graphics card!!! lol 25 hours or so single player.

One of the better FPS released this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dub1983

yeh cant wait til friday , first game was kool especially the map builder , is anyone still playin far cry (360) online ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Kiith wrote: »
    You realise that the vast (VAST!!) majority of people who pirate games dont do it to try it before buying it....its cause it doesnt cost the them anything, and they will get away scott free. Demo's are not going to cut down on piracy. Why download a demo when you can download the full game (pirates mindset).

"Try before you buy" is one of the most common excuses pirates use but I agree with you, someone who will pirate the game probably has no intention of ever buying it in the first place. My point was more the fact that demos before release = good, demos after release (or not at all) = bad.

Anyway, I don't want to steer the thread too far off course, this is all about Far Cry 2 after all which seems like yet another game on my "to buy" list for this holiday season - I'm going to be so broke, something has to give - maybe give up food...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

dub1983 wrote: »
    yeh cant wait til friday , first game was kool especially the map builder , is anyone still playin far cry (360) online ??

Got the original Far Cry last week in Tesco's for 7 squid and popped online or a game. To my surprise, there was no trouble finding a game.
    It's actually quite good online. Much better than I would have expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Far Cry 2 is sequel in name only. It has nothing to do with the original what so ever. Even
    Jack Carver isn't in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

silvine wrote: »
    Far Cry 2 is sequel in name only. It has nothing to do with the original what so ever. Even
    Jack Carver isn't in it
    Thank christ for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

DarkJager wrote: »
    Thank christ for that!

+1, thats a big relief.
    I couldnt stand listening to his stupid comments through another game, he has to be one of the thickest & most unlikeable main characters in a game ever

Definitely getting this game tomorrow, hope to play the most of it as a sniper, picking off the bad guys from a distance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I thought Jack Carver was great. Bit dissapointed he is not in this game or that there is not running commentary from the lead protagonist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

Flaccus wrote: »
    Personally I don't like piracy but I don't like the high prices that some places charge for games either so can understand why some people do it and it's great to see people buying games they like even after copying them. However it's best to be careful discussing any form of copying openly as it is against the games charter on these fourms to even discuss things like making legal backup copies of your own stuff. And someone could potentially get reported.

obviously if you can afford a skulltrail; not one, but two Q9775s; and two 4870x2s, and two 250 ssd; and 4 veloc......list goes on... THEN YOU obviously havn't much hesitation towards spending money, especially on games.... so leave us poor students to our own ways and means....

unless you want to donate your rig to a good cause (me)....?.....serioulsy....can i has it?...please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Cheapest place to get his anybody? Would I be able to get a region free if I didn't mind waiting?

• Advertisement

I thought Jack Carver was great. Bit dissapointed he is not in this game or that there is not running commentary from the lead protagonist.
    far cry 2 infact has abosolutly nothing in relation to far cry 1 which is a bit of a shame. I'm still boggled as to wheather i should buy the pc version or the xbox 360..is there gameplay differences or just graphical?

Advertisement