Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Far Cry 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

lol in fairness every FPS out there is repetitive. Walk around and shoot things, and the odd driving a car. Then again all games are repetitive.And 4% still leaves you another 96% to do. Along way to go yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

silvine wrote: »
    I've only played the first hour and a half (about 4% in) and the game strikes me as repetitive.
    Is it?

Also it takes ages to get anywhere.

Ya, its pretty much go someplace and kill people for every mission, like everyother FPS really, and it takes ages to get places depending on how you travel, i think its a brilliant game though, its such a refreshing change from the usual linear, run and gun FPS's, I'm sniping for every mission, i couldnt be happier...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea it's a long stretch between gun fights but I'm enjoying creeping up from a distance with the sniper rifle and firing off the shots. Whip out the flamethrower then when people get too close. Aiming for the grass is always a winner. The jury is still out on the game overall but I'm only 8% in. I'll give it a few more hours and see what's happening. Certainly underwhelming from the level of anticipation i had built up but that's always going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

CKWPORT wrote: »
    i think its a brilliant game though, its such a refreshing change from the usual linear, run and gun FPS's, I'm sniping for every mission, i couldnt be happier...:D

Agreed on that Batman :) sweet game indeed, i like roaming around, very peaceful! it'll take bloody ages to get through everything though. Haven't tried multiplayer though. Have you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Agreed on that Batman :) sweet game indeed, i like roaming around, very peaceful! it'll take bloody ages to get through everything though. Haven't tried multiplayer though. Have you?

I'm waiting on mine to come in the post, but the multiplayer sounds really sweet. COD style level ups and a pretty nifty mapmaker. Anyone try it out? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm waiting on mine to come in the post, but the multiplayer sounds really sweet. COD style level ups and a pretty nifty mapmaker. Anyone try it out? :confused:

Only played the mp for about 3-4hrs in total but so far I absolutely hate it. The maps are far too big, it takes way too many hits to score a kill, large amount of spawn campers on every match i've played etc. Furthermore, it's just boring, matches seem like they go on forever. The lobby system is poorly implemented; I've waited up to ten minutes for a match to start. The two matches i've played where only the captain can capture area, forget the name, was ruined by people constantly voting on whether to change the captain. The game feels laggy.

Will give it a few more chances though. On the flipside, the map editor looks amazing.

ya, tried the multiplayer and went straight back to the singleplayer and have been glued to that since...

I prefer the battlefield type of multiplayer anyways, not deathmatch, so i dont think i'll be playing much of the Far Cry multiplayer...Might try the level editor and build a large level for sniping at some stage...

Getting a great kick in the singleplayer though, when sniping, shoot a guy to wound him and the other guys come to rescue him...and then pick them off then one by one, before putting the bait out of his misery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

This game must have one of the worst openings of any game I've played. Really struggling to want to play this despite being a fairly big far cry fan.

I'm stuck right now and I've only started. I have to go to any briefing point. What is a briefing point and where are they. Its all very unintuitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

This game must have one of the worst openings of any game I've played. Really struggling to want to play this despite being a fairly big far cry fan.

I'm stuck right now and I've only started. I have to go to any briefing point. What is a briefing point and where are they. Its all very unintuitive.

Yeah it's pretty bad alright. Don't like the format at all, go here shoot them go there shoot someone else.

A briefing point is marked with a yellow exclamation on the map. Press X to bring the map up and A to change views.

keen wrote: »
    Yeah it's pretty bad alright. Don't like the format at all, go here shoot them go there shoot someone else.

A briefing point is marked with a yellow exclamation on the map. Press X to bring the map up and A to change views.

Struggling with the SP as well, loved the original (on PC) and i'm just forcing myself to go on for the sake of achievement points. Only just over 20pc in so hopefully will pick up when i get a few more weapons.

• Advertisement

Getting a great kick in the singleplayer though, when sniping, shoot a guy to wound him and the other guys come to rescue him...and then pick them off then one by one, before putting the bait out of his misery...

Ha class! There's lots you can do if you tackle things in new ways other than just ploughing straight in, a co-op mode would have been the business! maybe Far Cry 3.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

I think I've had enough of this game. Too many other big titles to spend my money on.

How much do you reckon I would get trading in for Fallout 3?

Ha class! There's lots you can do if you tackle things in new ways other than just ploughing straight in, a co-op mode would have been the business! maybe Far Cry 3.... :)

Ya co-op woulda been good...

I thinks its a class game, you can play it anyway you want, so much freedom in it, not like most FPSs that are so linear...

The game isnt for everyone though, some people seem to be hating the open endedness of it!!

Played this for a good spell last night. Most of the time was spent trying to get to the target where the mission was to be carried out. It was miles away. Spent 2 hours playing and between taking down Guardposts and Safehouses along the way i only got there saved and quit. I'm not liking how much ammo it's taking to drop a bad guy. Most of the time it takes alot of hits. I'm playing on Hardcore so maybe that's why but I'm not sure.

Still only 8% into the game considering I've been playing for hours. Clearly it's only calculated by missions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I think I've had enough of this game. Too many other big titles to spend my money on.

How much do you reckon I would get trading in for Fallout 3?

You'd get €40 in Xtra Vision for FC2. Thats what I'm doing with Fallout 3 on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

[quote=djkeogh;57723547Spent 2 hours playing and between taking down Guardposts and Safehouses along the way i only got there saved and quit. I'm not liking how much ammo it's taking to drop a bad guy. Most of the time it takes alot of hits. I'm playing on Hardcore so maybe that's why[/quote]

Na, its takes a load of rounds anyway no matter what, it ruins the game really. It takes about 4-5 head shots with a G3 or about 3 with an Ak to go down, if your aiming for the body it will take nearly half a mag. I tried it on easy to be sure. Its all based on stats and not hit boxes from what I can see.

The game isnt for everyone though, some people seem to be hating the open endedness of it!!

Yep indeed, no pleasing some folk! :)
    Na, its takes a load of rounds anyway no matter what, it ruins the game really. It takes about 4-5 head shots with a G3 or about 3 with an Ak to go down, if your aiming for the body it will take nearly half a mag. I tried it on easy to be sure. Its all based on stats and not hit boxes from what I can see.

Eh? a head shot or two is enough to down people, or a short burst to the torso. I'm not seeing the problem there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Same here. Doesnt take a load of shots to take someone down, a few torso shots or head shot will do it and I found the sniper rifle to be pretty powerful. I wounded someone from afar, he went down, when I got to his location he was gone, turns out he was slumped and injured against a wall and still kept trying to shoot me. What a great touch, its not die or dont die, injuries occur too. I think the non-linear aspect is putting people off, you can do your own thing and some people might prefer to have the way forward laid out for them. The open ended nature is a bit disconcerting at times but once you get used to it, it is really a great game. You can tackle anything pretty much right from the start.

It shouldn't take 3-4 pointblank shotguns shells to finish off an enemy either. This, coupled with the small ammo capacity is a cheap way of making the game harder.

Occasionally I have taken a guy down in a couple of shots with a machine gun but not very often. I was really close to a guy who was ducked down facing away from me and I switched to handgun to kill him with a headshot. Took 3 headshots to put him down. Thats just terrible. Sniper rifle is usually a one kill deal.

Anytime i try and sneak up and machete a dude all hell breaks loose. Is it supposed to be possible to kill everyone silently?

• Advertisement

djkeogh wrote: »
    Anytime i try and sneak up and machete a dude all hell breaks loose. Is it supposed to be possible to kill everyone silently?

I've done it a fair bit! i always try to take out some silently first. It's not difficult really. I don't know what you're doing wrong :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Dart Rifle ftw if you want real silent kills ;) Is it just me or does anybody else think the collision detection for the mounted guns is broken? They never seem to kill anyone..

This game goes back on friday, i'll put it towards fallout 3. I really tried but I can't take any more of it... Drive half way across the map, use bus, get in another jeep, be stopped at least twice by guys in jeeps/checkpoints, unload tons of rounds into them while at the same time scavenging for more ammo, head to target zone, kill target, scavenge, head back, encounter guys in jeeps, repeat. You could level the same charge at GTA4 but at least there was some flair in that game - and a great MP; plus, if you got bored you could cause mayhem, listen to the radio and explore the pseudo New York.

The terrain is impressive but it's so sparsely populated, the checkpoints feel as if they've been copied & pasted, there's no individuality to it at all. Nothing about the game is memorable. There's nothing in it that compares to the aircraft carrier in FC1.

Anyone unlock the mortar yet??

I want it, but there is nobody in the Gun Shop to give me more missions to unlock more weapons....

Anyone unlock the mortar yet??

I want it, but there is nobody in the Gun Shop to give me more missions to unlock more weapons....

Have you unlocked the southern district yet?

I'd say there are more dealers in that part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anyone traded it in, and if so what did you get? I played it for a few hours last weekend. Not sure If I'm arsed with it.

Been playing this again and bought an LMG and an Uzi as backups to the sniper rifle. Makes killing alot easier. Guys drop nice and quick with the LMG. Uzi sometimes takes half a mag in the chest.

Have you unlocked the southern district yet?

I'd say there are more dealers in that part!

No still in the north, im gonna do all the cellular tower missions next, i thought you could keep doing the gun shop missions, i was hoping to unlock them all before getting stuck into the missions.

I've only done three gun shop missions...
    Anyone traded it in, and if so what did you get? I played it for a few hours last weekend. Not sure If I'm arsed with it.

I didnt like it at first, but the more i played, the better it got....Its damn good...

djkeogh wrote: »
    Been playing this again and bought an LMG and an Uzi as backups to the sniper rifle. Makes killing alot easier. Guys drop nice and quick with the LMG. Uzi sometimes takes half a mag in the chest.

ya thats what i have too, Sniper rifle is my main weapon and then the PKM and grenade launcher, i dont have much trouble dropping enemies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Skippy65

Im in the same boat as yourself. I think you get 40 in xtra vision, thats what im doin as soon cod 5 is out. Far cry 2 is such a let down particularly the multiplayer and single player is just boring- stuck driving for ages. Cant believe i wasted my money on this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Skippy65 wrote: »
    Im in the same boat as yourself. I think you get 40 in xtra vision, thats what im doin as soon cod 5 is out. Far cry 2 is such a let down particularly the multiplayer and single player is just boring- stuck driving for ages. Cant believe i wasted my money on this crap.

Don't give up on it yet man, once you get to the south it will really start to redeem itself ;)

Advertisement