Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A6 Gearbox

Options
  • 22-10-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 04 A6 Tdi Sport 6speed and have been told by my mechanic that the gearbox bearings are on the way out.. There was a whine coming from the car. He says to repair the bearings could cost 800 for parts and 10 hours labour.. other option he said is to get a second hand gearbox from the North..

Any suggestions on the cheapest option?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Give www.traynors.co.uk a call.

Also try and find out if the A6 gearbox is shared with any other cars in the VAG range. It might increase your chances of finding a reconditioned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nigeloconnor

Thanks,

Tried Traynors this morning and they dont have any.. I presume a 1.9 A4 6Speed would have the same gearbox..

Any one else know any breakers yard up north or anyone know if the A6 gearbox is compatable with any other VAG cars?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Thanks,

Tried Traynors this morning and they dont have any.. I presume a 1.9 A4 6Speed would have the same gearbox..

Any one else know any breakers yard up north or anyone know if the A6 gearbox is compatable with any other VAG cars?

Thanks.

I would also try the UK, sourcing / shipping may not be as scary as you think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Unfortunately, the cheapest option is a second hand box. This might not be the best option though.
    I had the same problem with my 04 Passat. I got a second hand box from the UK, paid for it, got it sent over, fitted it and the speedo and fuel guage didn't work. Wrong box. The speed sensor and fuel guage worked from the differential on my old box and the new box had an electrical plug which wasn't on the original.
    Fitted perfectly, I gave the chassis number to the guys in the UK etc and the box was wrong. I had to remove the box again and send it back at my expence. I ended up buying a second hand one from the north, (I don't have the details to hand), but it was a disaster.
    Box in, box out, 2 full days labour for my mechanic, although he didn't rip me off, working not working shipping payments, refunds.....a nightmare.
    The crowd I used in the UK were :
    http://www.partsgateway.co.uk.
    I got a refund and I expect it was just bad luck that I got the wrong box. Apparently, VW make changes to gearboxes with every model change so its not unuasual to get the wrong one.
    Now the important bit:
    It was recomended to me NOT to do the bearing job on my original box.
    I think now, that I should have. The reason being that I had only 64k on the box when the baring packed up. The one I got from the north probally has 164k on it. It feels totally different.
    If I just got the bearing job done on my gearbox first day, I would have a better gearbox than I have now and a lot less hassle.
    The crowd in the uk have a guarentee iwth their stuff too.
    Just be careful what you decide to do.
    My recomendation to you is that if there is low milage (60 to 70k) on the box, get the bearing job done with a work guarentee. At least you know what you have.
    i will try a nd dig out the details of the guy I dealt with in the north.

Thanks for the info...

There is 105k on the box so I suppose I am on the border line of whether or not it is worth repairing..

The gearbox being 6 speed as well mightn't be as easy to get another one..

Anyway I will keep looking and see if I can come up with something..

Any other help would be greatly appreciated..

• Advertisement

Called Bohernabreena Motors & NAAS Gerbox centre and was quoted around 650+Vat and 680+Vat to replace the bearings.. and NAAS said 170+Vat if I don't have the gearbox out..

Haven't found any second hand ones yet..

ok 105k, that is boardline alright.
    Try the UK sites for second hand. You won't have much luck in Ireland. Be careful too, the A6 and A4 are 2 different animals, and slight differences with the boxes.
    Try Mr. Gearbox in Dublin. I think he had one when I was looking.
    I'll post more info later.

Mr Gearbox is €800+Vat...

Mr Gearbox is €800+Vat...

Is that for a re-conditioned one? That might be your answer. Check the guarentee for the work. They should stand over it for 1 year. They should ask you for the chassis number as well to make sure they have the right one. Make sure that you get the right one.

No thats to fix I one I have unfortunately... They seems to be scarce enough to be honest.. but one thing they have all said to me is that A6 gear box going is a common thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭coco06

Ye my gearbox went last year, a friend of a friend who works in an audi garage sourced a reconditioned one for me near wicklow. He fitted it and changed the clutch at the same time and it has worked a treat for the last 13months (touch wood).

He defo suggested against a second hand one if you dont know how many miles/kms are on it..

Thanks Coco... Can you remember how much the reconditioned one cost?

Think Bohernabreena Motors is my best option... €650+Vat.. Can't seem to source a cheaper option of a second hand gearbox..

Will update the thread let people know how I get on..

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

try dempsey car dimantlers bonniconlon ballina vw audi parts in golden pages

No luck with Demseys..

I think I might have sourced a gearbox... Its from the North and the guy said it's off an A4 130BHP.. IHe said its off an AWX engine which he said is the same as my A6.. £600 for it delivered.. also which seemed a bit strange is that he said it has 20k miles on it.. for a '04 A4!!!!.. maybe 120k.. !!

Does anyone know if the gearboxes are the same in A4 and A6s?

Stay away from it?

Tried demseys and they had nothing.. would a 04 130bhp A4 gearbox do? There is one up north for £600 delivered.. says there is 20k on it.. believe it if you like !!!

I know there is 105k on my car but at least if i go it reconditioned i'd know it's past.. with a gearbox with '20k' on it.. god only knows whats really on it?

Am I thinking correct?

Tried demseys and they had nothing.. would a 04 130bhp A4 gearbox do? There is one up north for £600 delivered.. says there is 20k on it.. believe it if you like !!!

I know there is 105k on my car but at least if i go it reconditioned i'd know it's past.. with a gearbox with '20k' on it.. god only knows whats really on it?

Am I thinking correct?

I would be cautious. 20k on a Audi diesel over 4 years old????
    What did it come out of? An old persons car? Doing on average of 5k a year? Doubt it.
    The one I got came out of a crashed car. I asked the guy (called Treanor from Silvestream in Monaghan) what milage was on the box and he said " I don't really know, it came out of a crashed car"
    I believed him soon as he said it. He didn't lie and thats the gearbox I have now which works just fine. (even though its a lot different than the original).
    Anyway, if it has only 20k on it it should be spotless. No oil marks or stains. Makke sure it wasn't steam cleaned before you see it.
    See if you can get a history of the box as well.
    You will have to have some sort of good idea that this box will comply with your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I had good experiences with Naas gearbox center ( VAG box as well, for an AGR TDI Octavia . Another option is 247spares.co.uk

I know... 20k on a 4 year old car is a bit hard to believe.. if he said 70k i would have probably ordered it there and then... Anyway as far as I can see from calling every breakers yard in the North these type of gearboxes are being sold pretty quickly,

I will call him again tomorrow and see can he give me more details on the history etc.. If the A4 it came outta was crashed years ago and the gearbox was just lying around would it being idle make any difference?

Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

That could make a differnece but I'm not sure. You would have to ask a person in the trade. Assuming that the gearbox has been checked.....how thats done I don't know.
    Unless you actually take the box apart, i.e. for a re-condition or a bareing job, I can't see how they can guarentee the box.
    See how yo get on tomorrow and let us know.

Advertisement