Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Picks Only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Petr Cech

petr-cech-save.jpg

I would have liked to go for some more attacking options but with not being able to pick again for quite a while I went for the most reliable goalkeeper available. Cech holds the record for most clean sheets in a season and most minutes played without conceeding at over 1000. Not only is he a good shot stopper but he is reliable under pressure and strikes an imposing figure to all attacking players.Now some might say he is a little accident prone the last while but the injuries seem to be behind him but even if he wasnt the pre scrum cap Cech was just immense to say the least and well worthy of a 3rd round pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Round 3 Pick 4
    Didier Drogba

Didier+Drogba.jpg

Didier Yves Drogba Tébily, in my opinion one of the most dangerous strikers in the world, capable of absolute magic. He is a fantastic target man, can hold up the ball brilliantly, has a bit of skill about him and is a natural finisher in front of goal.
    He was shown as one of the world best during the 2006/2007 season, he won the premier league golden boot award, scoring 20 goals in 37 Premier League matches. In total that season he amassed 33 goals in 60 games, including some of the most important goals for chelsea that season. A fabulous return for any player it must be said.
    The reason I am picking him is because he is one of those players who doesn't need A1 supply of the ball to score goals (not that he doesn't get that at Chelsea), he is a match winning and game changing player a fabulous athlete and a handfull for any defence

There has been doubt about his attitude, some even claiming Chelsea are better without him, to me this is nonsensical talk, it has been shown time and time again that Chelsea are more of an attacking force with their best striker fit and playing.
    It speaks volumes that Arsene Wenger has spoken out to defend Drogba when he said
    "Drogba is a bit under the spotlight at the moment for obvious reasons, but overall I like his attitude, basically, he is not an unfair player, basically."
    That was in relation to comments that he dives, but in fairness who doesn't and I'm quite happy having players who are sometimes a bit too competitive, it drives the team on.
    drogba_abramovich.jpg
    Drogba has also captained his national side and been named African player of the year.

A top class player who i'm glad to name as my third round pick.

In conclusion, check this Sh!teee out. (great backround track)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

To keep building my superstar defense of solid british talent, I reluctantly pick Ashley Cole,who rather upsettingly is the best left back in the world. Why is he the best left back in the world?? cos I couldnt reallythink of anyone who is well ahead of him, and he's definately the best in the Premiership (evra being a close 2nd). He's won alot with both chelsea and arsenal and most importantly his wife is a little cracker!

9C7033F3-CC1A-B33B-BF34A456FF0AFBED.jpg

cheryl_tweedy_.jpg

cheryl-cole.jpg

Honours so far for the young lad:

Arsenal
    Winner:

FA Premier League: 2001/02, 2003/04
    FA Cup: 2002, 2003, 2005
    FA Community Shield: 2002, 2004

Runner-up:

UEFA Champions League: 2006
    FA Cup: 2001
    FA Community Shield: 2003, 2005

Chelsea

Winner:

FA Cup: 2007
    League Cup: 2007
    Runner-up:

UEFA Champions League: 2008
    FA Community Shield: 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Another Man City manager for me, Sparky Hughes, another hard working player, did it for United till Cole was signed, went to Chelsea from United in 95 everyone figured he was past it but was a key player for them alongside Zola for another few years.

sparky.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

GinolaL_468x387.jpg

Maybe a controversial pick, I have started with two tough and solid winners. Think I can take a gamble on a bit of flair. Will do a proper write up at a later date.

Team so far:

Desailly
    Vieira
    Ginola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Right so I had to check the list and posts a couple of times to make sure he wasn't already picked, but it seems he hasn't been.

My first two picks ensured that I would get goals and plenty of them, Beckham & Cole are a proven combination who will deliver time and again for any team. My third pick therefore needs to do a similar job but at the other end. After all, there's no point scoring 3 every week if you concede 4.

In the last 10 years of the premier league (bar one injury racked season) this guy has been Mr. Consistency, averaging over 35 league games a season. That he has done that at one of the top clubs in the world is a testament to his ability and attitude. The fact that he spent the first 5 years of that playing at both right and left back and making both positions his own in turn, before claiming his current centre half position and holding it for 5 years gives me a flexibility in my defence that could prove vital in the final shake-up.

Along with Gerrard he has been the driving force behind Liverpool over the last decade and even though they've yet to win the premier league it hasn't been for lack of ability on his part. He holds the record for European appearances for Liverpool (108 to date) and is in their top 10 appearance list of all time with over 500 games played so far. Still only 30 and with his peak years as a centre half maybe only approaching now, it would be hard for anybody to criticise his inclusion in any premier league selection.

As a diehard United fan it kills me to say it, but he has been one of the most consistent and impressive performers in the league over the last 10 years, and for this reason I pick Jamie Carragher.

gerrardcarragher.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Along with Jamie Carragher this guy has been Mr. Consistent for nearly 10 years now. Signed for just £2.6m by Gerard Houllier, 300 games later i present Sami Hyypia

HyypiaDM2105_468x473.jpg

Captained Liverpool along with Fowler and Redknapp to our treble in 2001. When asked to, he stood down to make way for Gerrard to take over the captaincy. That shows the true character of the man, he got on with his game despite being stripped of the captaincy through no fault of his own. An absolute rock in the centre of any defence and a great base to start off my backline. Has won everything possible with Liverpool bar the big one but maybe this year he will be able to complete his collection and get his testimonial next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Considering I have Ronaldo on team, I think it's essential I get somebody who can compliment him brilliantly, switch wings,is creative with bags of flair and a player who pops up to score the odd crucial goal. No real choice then
    Joe Cole
    859457050-soccer-barclays-premier-league-tottenham-hotspur-v-chelsea-white-hart.jpg

The man that Mourinho revitalised is perhaps unlucky that the position of Number 10 doesn't exist outside of Italy. He has all the ability for it, creative, good shot, hard worker and he's quick. He was an absolute failure in his first year but once Robben got injured he never looked back, evolving into our best player last year (and fan's player of the year). The idea of Cole and Ronaldo on the wings would strike fear into any team and i think they would work excellently together. It also allows me to play the new 4-5-1/4-3-3 system without having to make my case that he'd adapt and it means I can feel genuinely happy about my team seeing as he's one of my favourite players. Also a leader, he was a captain for West Ham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I've decided to stay away from Arsenal for the pick, and headed right across the City to Chelsea.

In the early 90's Chelsea gathered some success under managers like Vialli, before the megabucks days of Abramovic.

At this time they wer a joy to watch and as a full bac myself, one of the players i used to keep an eye on was Dan Petrescu
    _41103292_petrescu_em203.jpg

An attacking full back, good crosser of the ball, and chipped in with his fair share of goals Petrescu won the FA cup, The League Cup and the Cup Winners Cup in a 5 year spell with the club.

Another player who played with a smile on his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

_44232768_james_getty.jpg

Once I thought of my next pick so early on in the round, I didn't think I'd get him. Delighted to secure David James and fill the goalkeeping position, which I think may become hard to do in later rounds.

James has always been a bit of an enigma, but there's no doubting that he's produced the form of his career in recent seasons. Many say that goalkeepers enter their prime once they reach 30, and with James it's absolutely true. Sure, he's prone to the odd gaff, but show me a top class 'keeper who isn't?

Last year, James surpassed the record held by David Seaman and claimed his 142nd Premiership clean sheet, while also claiming back his place as England's number 1.

There's one James save in particular that stands out for me. It was when he was with Man City, and produced a wonder-save to deny Lampard and help City come away from Stamford Bridge with a point:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Juninho_468x588.jpg

Juninho

My team's number 10, who along with Le Tissier will provide the ammunition for Hasselbaink up front.

Though, like Le Tissier, he never played in a title-challenging side in England, his impact on the game was indisputable. That he was able to excel and carve out a reputation for himself amongst markedly inferior team-mates (an honorable exception to Ravenelli!) only underlines his quality.

As Rafa Benitez might say, he was a player with real game intelligence. Though he is capable of the most astonishing moments of individual skill and scoring wonder-goals, he is also great at linking the midfield and the attack. A quick mind, with quicker feet, he was a nightmare for the opposition.

He also has a commendable team spirit. He cried when Boro were relegated. He also held Boro's League Cup success closer to him than Brazil's triumph in the World Cup - of which he also played a significant part in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

fernando-torres1.jpg

With 40 Appearances up my next pick is the great Fernando Torres. "El Nino" has a record of 29 goals in 40 league games for the pool and like his partnership with David Villa at international level I think him and Fowler in his prime would compliment each other beautifully.

A proven game changer and a match winner Torres has showed his class again and again at Premier league level, in Europe and at international level where he scored the winning goal in last summers European Championships.

Delighted to have got him. Timing is everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Paolo di Canio

PaoloDiCanio_468x521.jpg

There are so many reasons why he'll be remembered with affection in England. There was his push on ref Paul Alcock (one of the funniest things we've seen on a football pitch), his amazing act of sportsmanship when he picked up the ball with the goal at his mercy because Everton keeper Paul Gerrard was lying injured.His goal against Wimbledon is rated as one of the best goals ever in the premiership.

On his day,he was one of the best players to have ever played in the premiership.With the amount of flair players going lately,I felt I had to pick him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Only just realised i'm up, and heading out to play football, so I will have to make my pick very quickly.... d'oh.

Going for Kanchelskis, will do a proper write up with pic later - really don't have time right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

For my third pick I have gone someone who is the absolute model of consistency in current Premiership football - Chelsea's Ricardo Carvalho.

football3.jpg

The fee of 19 million pounds seemed a bit excessive for a relatively unknown defender but since joining Chelsea four years ago he has yet to finish outside the top 2 in the league, and has two titles under his belt, as well as and FA Cup, 2 Carling Cups, a Community Shield and a Champions League runners up medal.

People go on and on about John Terry but the fact is that it is Carvalho who keeps the Chelsea ticking at the back. A superb reader of the game who is strong in the air on solid on the ground.

To be honest, it makes no difference who I draft as my next centre half because whoever plays alongside Carvalho will be made look good anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Right don't have time to write this up now but I'll edit it later.

I pick Carlo Cudicini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Delighted to see the Centre Half I wanted still available at this spot as I thought he would be long gone.

My next pick is Martin Keown.

martin_keown_2702_76406a.jpg
    With Adams he formed one of the most solid centre halves in Premiership history

Twice a Double winner and picking up over 40 England caps he is a superb centre half who takes no prisoners. Not as stylish as some of the centres halves already picked but I know who I'd rather thave on my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The wingers are being snapped up fast so I feel it's time to act and a pick a quality one myself. Therefore my third pick is going to be one of the most dangerous wingers to ever grace the Premiership with his presence. The flying Dutchman that is...Arjen Robben!

050928_liverpool_hmed_3p.hlarge.jpg

When Man United were beaten to the signature of Arjen Robben few expected it to be such a big loss for the former and such a big gain for the latter. Arjen Robben however struck terror into Premiership defences during his time at Chelsea, but particularly during his first two seasons when he was simply scintillating. The sight of the Dutchman bombing down the wing worried fans and players alike.

In his first season with Chelsea, despite missing several games due to a metatarsal injury, he chalked up an impressive goalscoring rate of 7 goals in 18 league appearances and played a big part in Chelsea securing the Premier League title. That same year he also made the 2005 PFA Team of the Year and was shortlisted for the PFA Young Player of the Year award, losing out in the end to Wayne Rooney. Back to full fitness the following season, he again played a big role for Chelsea as as he notched up 6 goals in 28 league games helping Chelsea to retain their title. Unfortunately a mixture of injuries and tactics damaged his chances at Chelsea after that causing him to move to Real Madrid where he was able to help them to victory in La Liga.

His legacy from his spell in the Premeirship still lives on though. Here is a nice compilation from when he was at his peak for Chelsea...

Arjen Robben will provide a great threat for my team. Comfortable on either wing with lightning speed and the ability to create goals as well as score them, plus excellent at set-pieces, he is a worthy acquisition. His impressive medals haul shows him to be a winner and he continues my trend for picking players with class and style.

My picks thus far:

#1 Dennis Bergkamp
    #2 Rio Ferdinand
    #3 Arjen Robben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For this round I want a commanding centre half and to me the best player I have seen in this position in the premiership to date is Nemanja Vidic.
    Its no coincidence that United have won two Premier League titles and a Champions League since this man joined the club. Behind every winning team in history there has been a good defence. Rio Ferdinand has looked a different player since Vidic joined him at United and this has more to do with the class of this man than of Ferdinand.
    A very underrated defender imo. For me he is the most outstanding centre half I have seen in the Premiership to date. I include all others in the history of the League in that comment. The Terminator is my type of player.
    vidic.jpgis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My third pick is Damien Duff. Pretty Good.

_38068658_duff_goal300x300.jpg

He's perhaps best known for his days at Chelsea, where he helped them to two league titles. But it's the Duff of 2000-2003 who makes my side. His brilliant form for Blackburn culminated in an unforgettable World Cup in 2002.
    At the height of his powers he was one of the best wingers in the world and he can also play up front.

Picks so far:
    Thierry Henry
    Steve McManaman
    Damien Duff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Round 3 Pick 71

Lucas Radebe - The Chief

Lucas_Radebe_-_Large.jpg

Well it's about time I drafted a defender, and Lucas Radebe is the man for me. The best centre-back left to pick, and much better than some of those picked already. Leeds and South-African captain, Radebe was a rock throughout his premiership career. His only honors are at international level (1996 African Nations), but in fairness he spent most of his career at Leeds so domestic honors were out of the question :p

A lovely guy off the pitch, with a huge heart and social conscience, on the pitch he was a fierce competitor. Radebe's reading of the game, his ability to smother opposition dangermen as a top class man to man marker and his frequent last ditch saving tackles made him a truly great Premiership defender. And on top of all this, he had leadership qualities in abundance. Delighted to have him as the rock on which my defence will be built.

Couldn't find a suitable youtube clip so have another pic instead.

lucas_06_land.jpg

Picks so far:

Roy Keane
    Freddie Ljungberg
    Lucas Radebe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Round 3 Pick 72

LEE DIXON

_1094175_lee_dixon300.jpg

My Next Pick is Lee Dixon. For me he was an integral part of one of the strongest defences in Premier League History.
    With Arsenal he won 3 League titles, 3 FA Cups, League Cup and the Cup Winners Cup.
    I haven't much to say about him as he really jsut let his playing do the talking. A strong defender, economic with the ball and not afraid to go forward.

3.jpg

Round 4 Pick 73

Nicolas Anelka

anelka4.jpg
    _38600477_sport_anelka_pa.jpg
    nicolas_anelka.jpg
    anelka1.jpg
    2578252412-soccer-barclays-premier-league-wigan-athletic-v-chelsea-jjb-stadium.jpg

Yes he may be a money grabbing little tosser, but there is no-one who can deny his ability. He has good pace, tall, and can finish with either foot. It's hard for me to pick what spell in the EPL he was at his prime in so I'll give an overall stat.
    In 253 EPL Appearances he has scored 97 goals. Which is a very impressive record considering when he was with Manchester City they had only just been promoted, And Bolton certainly weren't title challengers when he was with them.

Round 4 Pick 74

Colin Hendry

Colin-Hendry.jpg

Continuing with my theme of drafting players with drive and determination, next on the list is Braveheart himself, Colin Hendry. A collusus of a defender, tough, powerful, quick and fantastic in the air, Hendry marshalled the Blackburn defence throughout the 90's. He captained the club on occasions and was always a leader on the pitch. He also captained his country, leading them to the 1998 World Cup. A massively important part of the 1994-95 premier league winnning team, Hendry is a proper premiership legend, a born winner and a top class defender.

SFGNEW.JPG

Picks so far:
    Roy Keane
    Freddie Ljungberg
    Lucas Radebe
    Colin Hendry.

My fourth pick is Dietmar Hamann.

hamann_dietmar3.jpg

Time to start thinking about the nucleus of my side. Didi will bring plenty of discipline and defensive qualities, but he also has a good eye for a pass and a shot and is an excellent free-kick taker. He will be best remembered for his seven years of fantastic service at Liverpool where he formed a formidable midfield partnership with a young Steven Gerrard.

Here's a preview of some of the tasty goals i'm hoping he'll add to my side.

But most of all i know i can be fully confident that he'll always be a rock in the middle of the field, and will allow the likes of Henry and McManaman the freedom to do what they do best. Didi is the ultimate professional, a consistent and determined performer who'll be a great addition to my side.

Team so far:
    Thierry Henry
    Steve McManaman
    Damien Duff
    Dietmar Hamann

My fourth pick was a legend before the Premiership began. He joined Newcastle United for the second time in 1993 and assisted most of Andy Cole's goals during his record breaking run during the 93/94 season.

Yes its the one and only Peter Beardsley. One of the best players I have ever seen in the Premier League. Gifted in so many ways, he could play up front or in midfield. Between 1993 and 1997 Beardsley played a total of 129 times for Newcastle United and scored 46 times. He also assisted over 80 times during that spell. A truly magnificent all around player. I am delighted to have him in my team. I've always considered him the English version of Maradona. For the younger chaps who don't remember him, please watch the video below, its really great viewing.

BEARDSLEY_Peter_19960811_SF_L.jpg

"Manu Petit will always be in our minds and, more importantly, in our hearts." - Arsene Wenger

For my fourth pick I'm going to select a defensive midfielder and my pick is going to be one of the more accomplished players to fill the role in the Premiership...Emmanuel Petit!

petit.jpg

Bought from Monaco where he operated in defense, Arsene Wenger moved Emmanuel Petit to the middle of the park at Arsenal using him as a defensive midfielder alongside Patrick Vieira. Together the two of them formed a formidable partnership as Arsenal claimed a League and Cup double with Petit playing an instrumental part in Arsenal's success. Here's some footage of his beautiful pass in the 1998 FA Cup Final to set up Overmars tos core the opener (about 1:37 in)...

That was a great facet of Petit's game. He could change a game with a delightful pass. He was not your typical defensive midfield bruiser. While he could be strong and physical he was also stylish and elegant and he goes along with my trend thus far of picking players with class.

Petit of course is also renowned for scoring the winning goal in the 1998 World Cup Final against Brazil...

Clearly not a man phased by a big occasion! Petit went on to leave Arsenal for Barcelona and in his book regarded it as the biggest msitake of his career. Barcelona did not know how to utilise him properly and shifted him back into his old role of defence. Petit made a return to the Premiership with Chelsea working alongside Frank Lampard and helping them secure Champions League football, although around this time he was battling injuries and eventually was forced to retire.

His legacy from his time in the Premiership still lives on though and he came 22nd on a list of Arsenal's 50 greatest players on the club's official website. A true winner and competitor who slots in very nicely in my team.

My team thus far:

Bergkamp---X

X
    Petit
    X
    Robben

X
    Ferdinand--X
    X

X

Pick 1: Dennis Bergkamp
    Pick 2: Rio Ferdinand
    Pick 3 Arjen Robben
    Pick 4: Manu Petit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

I have a decent spine in my team and to complete it I need a decent keeper. I have a long wait for my next pick and I think there is only 2 keepers left up to this standard and they are likely to go. Not much between them but I go for Nigel Martyn

2000martyn.jpg

Mr Consistent, Martyn had a grest career, especially at Leeds where he was an important part of their success during his time there. He only had 23 Caps for England as he was stuck behind Seaman

Loved by Leeds fans and got into their all time XI and also a popular player at Palace and Everton.

Mr Dependable and delighted to have him between the sticks

So Far :

x
    Cantona

x
    Ince
    x
    x

x
    x
    Keown
    x

Martyn

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Gallas joined Chelsea from Marseille in May 2001 for £6.2 million. He played alongside John Terry in a 16 match run without conceding a goal.Gallas was part of Chelsea's team which won back to back Premier League titles and a League Cup under Mourinho.
    Gallas was transferred to Arsenal in 2006 when Ashley Cole joined Chelsea. He became captain in 2007. Although hes had his fair share of dodgy moments in the last few years he is a quality defender and one any team would benefit from.
    100px-WilliamGallasCPN.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

To complete my centre half partnership I've gone with someone who was a model of consistency in the Premiership for 12 years - Gareth Southgate.

southgate_420x300.jpg

In 1994 Southgate became the youngest captain of a Premiership team at the age of 23 having led Crystal Palace to the Division One title the previous season. Following their subsequent relegation he moved to Aston Villa where he spent the seven seasons.

His partnerships first with Paul McGrath and then Ugo Ehiogu were superb and earned plaudits from all corners of the game. Southgate captained Villa to a League Cup win and an FA Cup final before moving on to Middlesbrough where he finished his career, picking up a Carling Cup win and a UEFA Cup runners up medal along the way.

At international level is unfortunately most remembered for his missed penalty in the Euro 96 semi final shootout. His haul of 57 international caps at a time when England were flush with top class centre halves says just how good Gareth was.

Premiership appearances - 327

Team so far -

Seaman

xxxx----Carvalho----Southgate----xxxx

xxxx
    xxxx
    xxxx
    xxxx

Ferdinand
    xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well, I need a defender in my team, and I'm happy enough with the pick I have got to make:

Kolo Toure

arsenal-toure-0708.jpg

He didn't have a great start to his career at arsenal, looking a bit of a joke in midfield and at full back. When I heard Wenger was pinning his central defensive hopes on him, I laughed and laughed hard. I think his first big game with the position as his own was against United - and he freaking dominated at the back. He has been a rock at the back for Arsenal ever since really, imo.

Big, strong, fast and good on the ball, good positional ability and can strike a decent effort at goal too. Recently he has become a victim of his own versatility, seeing him play RB a number of times which he can now do well, and many would say he should be the captain too.

Yes, there are a couple of players I would have picked ahead of him; but i am honestly hapy with the pick I have made. A solid defender with a bit of versatility. Currently one of the best in the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Even though I should pick a centre back as most of the good ones are going, I've decided to pick a centre forward, who I hope will form a strong partnership with Di Canio up front, or if I'm defending a lead he can move back into field.

He was once referred to as the blonde Maradona. He is one of the most intelligent footballers to have ever played in the Premiership, and is a player I would have loved to have seen in a United jersey.

p1_chelsea_getty.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

bosnichembed_384x25_540309a.jpg

My next pick is Mark Bosnich

Ignore the ignominity that befell Bosnich at the end of his career and remember the world class goalkeeper that cam before and graced the premiership for a decade and played almost 200 games between Villa and Man Utd. In his prime Bosnich was definitely in the upper echelon of premiership goalkeepers and the fact that United deemed his a suitable replacement for Schmeichel speaks volumes.

Bosnich won the League cup twice in his time with Villa and the league in his first season with United. Perhaps the move to United was too much for Bosnich as his decline began after the move but what went before was a keeper who was solid, dependable and capable of awe inspiring saves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

McAallisterGETTY_468x633.jpg

Gary McAllister

I've turned my attention to the middle of the pitch with this pick. McAllister offers a lot to any team: technique, passing, vision, creativity, versatility, leadership and an awesome set-piece delivery.

He's capable of playing across the park, and though he is not afraid of a tackle, his biggest asset is his ability to build attacks from deep. He'll be sitting behind Juninho and Le Tiss, pulling their strings!

Team so far:

x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    McAllister---X
    ---Le Tiss-Juninho---x
    Hasselbaink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Spent the last two rounds building from the back, so I think it's time to go back to flair. My pick for Round 4 is Gus Poyet.

poyet4.jpg

Poyet began his Premiership career with Chelsea in 1997 after arriving on a free transfer from Real Zaragoza. He established himself as a vital part of the Chelsea team and a firm fan favourite.

He made a decent start to life in England scoring 4 goals in his opening 12 games. But tough times were to come for Poyet, when he suffered a cruciate knee ligament injury soon after. Unfortunately, this would not be the last time the injury reared its head.

The following season, 1998/1999, Poyet scored 14 goals and helped Chelsea to finish 3rd. 11 of those goals came in the Premiership, where he finished just behind Zola as the club's top scorer. He achieved this despite once again battling injury, missing some four months of the season.

He followed up that season with 18 goals in 1999/2000, including a brace against Newcastle in the FA Cup semi-final, and Chelsea went on to win the competition. The next season would be his last for Chelsea, when he scored 12 goals before moving to Spurs. His time at Chelsea was prolific; in 145 appearances for the club, he scored 49 goals, a return of a goal every three games.

The £2 million paid by Spurs seemed like a bargain when the Uruguayan netted 14 times in his debut season for the club. However, his influence began to decrease as he again succumbed to cruciate problems. 2003/2004 was Poyet's last season for Spurs, where overall he scored 23 goals in 98 games.

Below is a famous Poyet goal from 1999 - a superb scissor-kick against Sunderland.

My team so far (formation still tbd):

James

xx
    Stam
    xx
    xx

xx
    xx
    Giggs

Poyet

xx
    xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

A player so good they named him twice
    Jay Jay Okocha

Although he never played for one of the fashionable teams, Jay Jay Okocha transformed Bolton overnight from the piss break team on match of the day to the must see team. Tremendous to watch and tremendous on the field he was one of the best dribblers in the premiership and he combined it with a ferocious shot and great distribution. The most expensive African player ever at the time of his transfer to PSG completes my phenomenal attacking triumvirate from midfield

Team so far

x

--G. Neville
    x
    x
    x----

x
    x

---J.Cole
    J.J. Okocha
    C.Ronaldo--

x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ok. I moved house the other day so am doing this on my phone. Cant do a full write up so my pick is the beast that is Yakubu. Team so far...... Given, Hyypia, Sheringham, Yakubu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

There are less than a handful of top goalkeepers left in this, and of that handful there are only two that I'd consider picking and sleep easy in the knowledge that they'll perform consistently for me.

Goalkeepers have the toughest job in football, if they make a mistake there's rarely anyone behind them to mop it up. They sometimes spend 85 minutes thinking through what they're going to do for the week, before suddenly being called into action. A good keeper brings out the best in the defenders in front of him, they can get on with doing their own job with confidence that he commands the box behind them.

This guy, after an admittedly shaky start, has won the Premier League Golden Gloves trophy 3 years in a row. He has earned a reputation as an incredible penalty stopper, is commanding at the back and has taken a number of club records for goalkeeping with Liverpool.

His only shortfall is on the international stage, where he can consider himself unfortunate to be stuck behind arguably the best goalkeeper of his generation.

My next pick is Jose Manuel (Pepe) Reina

_44463431_reina.jpg

Team so far

Reina

xxx xxx Carragher xxx

Beckham xxx xxx xxx

Cole xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think Brad Friedel represents solid value at this juncture. A former NCAA National Championship winner, it Friedel a long time before he was able to settle into a starting role for a club and produce his best work. Friedel didn't work out at Liverpool. but my oh my - has he done the job for Blackburn.

FRIEDEL_Brad_19980419_GH_R.jpg

Over the past seven seasons Friedel has been one of the best keepers in the premiership. A lot of the time he is a solid and dependable last line. But the rest of the time, he metamorphoses into the human embodiment of a wall. And is simply unbeatable. On such occasions, Friedel is capable of making astonishing save upon save from all variety of efforts and angles.

His natural height is an advantage under the high ball, and he is a good decision maker in that respect - generally if he attacks a cross or corner he will come down with it. He has great agility and reflexes and is technically very sound at cutting down angles, getting his footwork and body position right and shifting body weight in a split second to reset his point of balance as required. He deals well with weight and is good at parrying the ball out of danger rather than coughing up easy rebounds. He recovers quickly and makes a great second effort when required. Finally, he marshals a defense with a high degree of competence, and has good levels of focus and concentration.

friedel_lg.jpg

On top of his abillity on the pitch, he seems to be a good guy to have off it. He voluntarily decided to stay and help steer Blackburn back into the Premiership following relegation under Brian Kidd. Apparently he is someone who works extremely hard before and after training on pushing his athletic boundaries, and as such, he is the kind of player who inspires teammates to put in the little bit extra here and there. That he had a rocky road to travel during his twenties - battling problems with work permits and being out of favor at his clubs - and has got better as he has progressed through his thirties is a testament to his character and tenacity. I'm very happy to be adding another strong leadership presence to compliment Desailly and Vieira.

All in all, I think having a guy like Friedel as the last line is a huge positive and I'm delighted to get him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgsnODQoxDw&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

TimFlowers_L2.jpg

Flowers is one of only a handful of goalkeepers to have ever won a Premiership medal, and having got more than 500 league appearances during his career, he was one of the star keepers of the first decade of the Premiership. Often overlooked because of Man Utd's Schmeichel and Arsenal's Seaman, Flowers is one of the most underrated stars of the Premiership.
    • Premier league winner.
    • 6ft 2in, not bad for a keeper.
    • Capped for england at junior and senior level.
    • When he was transferred from Southampton to Blackburn in 1993 for a fee of £2.4 million, it made him the most expensive goalkeeper in England at the time.

I also have one or two picks I had planned on using before Tim Flowers, but there seems to be an eagerness to pick up Goalkeepers at the moment and I didnt wnat to miss out. There is at least one other goalkeeper I had planned, but he didn't fit my "Classic English Premiership Team" theme.

EDIT: just realised I've skipped bohsman here, i blame lloyd for his over eagerness in PM-ing both of us! :) If bohsman wants tim flowers he can have him! fair is fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Roberto Di Matteo

Goalscoring midfielder, one of the driving forces behind Chelseas resurgence in the late 90.

8.jpg

Fastest ever goal in a FA cup final

Team so far

Pearce
    Terry
    Di Matteo
    Hughes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Ashley Young
    I urge you all to play this youtube video while reading the rest of this piece.

For my fourth round pick I have decided to add some width to my side. Having thought long and hard about it I feel that there is no better option then that of Aston Villa's flying winger Ashley Young.

085youngDM2004_468x431.jpg

A few eyebrows were raised when Villa paid an initial £8m to Watford for Young, with the potential for his fee to go even higher, but he has already proved that he was an absolute steal. I must admit that when Villa signed Young I was with the, what the, who the, 8mil!?! brigade. But without a doubt Young has been one of, if not, the best signing MON has made while at Villa park.
    Young's performance last season earned him widespread praise, earning him a place in the PFA team of the year.
    At 22, there is still much to come from the young man from Watford, but his ability to skin opposition players, deliver a perfect final ball and his deadly ability from the set piece has set Ashley Young apart from much of his compatriots.
    _44079449_villa416.jpg
    Many have been outspoken at their shock that Young hasn't been a regular in the England setup, undoubtedly he has done more then enough to prove himself so far.
    Another great attribute of Young is his versatility, he is able to play on the left or the right or in the middle. Often this season he has performed at his best in a free role, starting off on the left but often coming infield to get more involved in the game.

Young is a real game changer, like Gerard, he seems to pop up at the crucial time in a game to produce a real moment of magic. For his sheer athleticism ability to beat opponents and to scare defenders whenever the ball is at his feet I am delighted to have Ashley Young in my team.

Players Picked so far:
    Steven Gerard MC/OMC
    Paul McGrath DC
    Didier Drogba FC
    Ashley Young OML/OMC/OMR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I have been debating firstly whether to start building a defence or getting another midfielder in but I dont think at this stage I will be able to have the best defence in the league or the best base to build a midfield on as nearly all the top players are gone but I think atacking wise I can be one of the best going forward so i have gone for

Pick 4 - Kevin Phillips.

Now while there may have been better players to choose from in the end I guess Jeff's consistent ranting about creating a team rather than a collection of individuals is the reason why I chose him. No doubt there will be strikers available later on that will offer a goal every 2 games but I tihnk that of the ones left Phillips would compliment my team better than anyone else. He is best remembered for his sunderland days where he scored 115 in 208 games admittedly 50 or so of those goals were in the championship. In his first season in the premiership he was insanely good scoring 30 that year and winning the european golden boot. He continued this form for the first half of the next season but while the amount he scored dropped a little his over all work rate increased a lot.

_39869562_phillips_gi300x300.jpg

In Euro 2004 Rooney was by far the standout england player until his injury because everything suited him. I think this was because he was playing with a pacy forward in front of him and a creative midfielder behind him. I think that with Phillips up front and Fabregas in midflied supplying the passes I have an attacking force that will be able to unlock any defence......even jeff's mighty all english one.

edit. team so far

Cech
    RB
    CB
    CB
    LB
    RM---CM---Fabregas---LM
    Rooney
    Phillips---

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Shaun Wright-Phillips

_39952435_wrightp300.jpg

I saw the Phillips in the name above and was almost ready to throw in the towel,
    but alas I'm taking the man in his second spell at Man City,

Making a huge name for himself at City - absolutely terrorizing defenses and on his day practicaly unplayable - he soon earned a move to the biggest club at the time, Chelski.

3 reasonable quiet seasons (underplayed and undervalued) saw him drop off the radar a little and struggle to get his england oppurtunities, but while many will say he's chelsea time was somewhat a failure winning the preimier league in 05/06 will have him tell you otherwise. To be quiet honest I've never seen him have a bad game.

Only Mark Hughes has spoken out about just how good SWP is, and back at man city he's already clearly back to his best.

Team to date,

Sol Campbell, Robert Pires, Jurgen Klinsmann, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Whatever round this is IU'm in a big rush so keeping up with my team of midgets I'm putting the best left back ever in. Him and Ronaldo down the left is just unstoppable sometimes so I think he could work well with Overmars who also never tracks back.

97038evra.jpg

Team to date. Essien, M Owen, Overmars and Evra

• Advertisement

ROUND 5 - PICK 97

Nigel%20Winterburn.JPG

This is without a doubt the hardest pick I've had to make so far. So I've gone with the player who I thought most unlikely to make it through the next 46 Picks...

I picked Nigel Winterburn as I now have two of the players from one of the most feared Premiership defences guarding my flanks.
    It total Nigel made 440 appearances for Arsenal, 274 of these in the EPL.
    He won the European Cup Winners Cup, FA Cup and Premier League with Arsenal. He was however, often overlooked by the various Managers of the England National Team and only ever made a handful of appearances for them.
    For me he is one of a small group of left backs left that are capable of making it into a team of Premier League XI.

Picks so Far: Schmeichel, Winterburn, Dixon, Anelka, Dublin.

Round 5 Pick 98

Ole Gunnar Solskjær - The Baby Faced Assassain

The best value pick left in the draft by a long shot - a premiership legend. Quick, skilled, clinical and with a touch flair, in eleven seasons with Man United Solskjær was one of the best goalscorers in the premiership.

OleST140809_600x518.jpg

With United he won six titles, and of course the European Cup with a last minute goal. Often used as a substitute by Ferguson, Solskjær's goal scoring record is phenomenal - 90 goals in 235 games, and there can be no doubt about his genuine class.

Pick number 5 for me is Robbie Keane.

This was an incredibly difficult pick, i won't get another go for a long time. I've decided to pick all my creative players first and rely on good organisation and hopefully some decent picks later on at the back.

Anyway, Robbie . . .

keane-robbie.jpg

A member of the premier league's 100 goal club, he averages one every 2 and a half games. Not bad when one considers how deep he plays and how involved he gets in the build up.

The most successful period of his career so far came at Spurs. In 6 seasons there he scored 80 league goals and got into double digits each season.

Great finisher, hugely intelligent, hard-working and i'm sure he'll relish playing with some of the other attacking talent i have on show.

Youtube vid:

I have been quite busy lately and only got those pm's now. Anyways I picked up another gem to replace the man I had mistakingly chosen. The only man left for that spot is the Legendary Neville Southall. A former hod-carrier and dustman in Llandudno, Southall began life as a centre half. He was good enough to have trials with Crewe Alexandra and Bolton Wanderers but never made the grade. Instead, he went between the posts for Llandudno Swifts and quickly moved up the football ladder. After brief spells with Conway United and Bangor City, he joined non-league Winsford where he was spotted by Bury, who paid £6000 for his services.

After just 39 games for the Shakers, Southall was snapped up by Everton, completing an amazing transformation - in just less than two years, he had gone from working on a building site to playing First Division football. For the next sixteen years he would remain the Toffees' first-choice keeper, experiencing all their highs and lows.

The honours came thick and fast during those early days. Everton were experiencing something of a revival under Howard Kendall and within the space of three won the League, FA Cup and the Cup Winners' Cup. Southall was voted Player of the Year in 1985 when the Blues won the championship but the Heysel disaster cut short Everton's dominance as the team broke up. And while others went on to enjoy big money moves to the continent, Southall stayed behind, clocking up the appearances.

Although successful on the domestic front, the big Welshman enjoyed little success on the international scene and although he was an established World Class player, he never played in a major tournament. The closest he got was in 1993, when Wales narrowly missed out on World Cup qualification. Nevertheless, he racked up 91 caps - a national record.

Southall played over 700 times for Everton - a club record - and was the first player to make 200 appearances in the Premiership. As he matured with age, many expected him to retire gracefully, but Big Nev confounded the critics and just kept on going, adding a second FA Cup winners medal to his collection in 1995. But time soon caught up with Southall. He returned to the Premier League in with Bradford City at the age of 42 in 2000.

His list of honours below

* Football League Championship winner 1985, 1987
    * FA Cup winner 1984, 1995; runners-up 1985, 1989
    * European Cup-Winners Cup winner 1985
    * League Cup runners-up 1984
    * Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year 1985

facupsave.jpg

"He has always been a player that I loved." - Arsene Wenger

Michael_Carrick_486917a.jpg

It will be quite a while until my next pick so I want to get my team's spine sorted out and I've decided to go for a guy who I was close to picking in the last round, and who I'm certain I won't be able to pick the next round - Michael Carrick!

I went for Emmanuel Petit in the last round as I wanted a central midfielder who was renowned for winning tackles. This as we know is not Michael Carrick's greatest strength. What is his strength however is vision and passing prowess which rivals that of any top Premiership player in my opinion. Alan Hansen has described it as "imperious" and it seems a pretty apt description to me. Carrick has an almost continental swagger to his style of play and isn't your archetypal English central midfielder. He isn't fond of tackling players left and right unless it's absolutely necessary. He's a very classy player who much prefers to break up play predominantly through interceptions and his ability to read the game. He's got it in his locker to also create and score goals too.

Here's a good Match of the Day video analysing what he brings to the table...

I must say, like a lot of United fans I imagine, I was sceptical about Carrick when he first started out at United. Maybe it was the fact he was filling Roy Keane's boots, or maybe that he was wearing his shirt number, whatever the reason was he dispelled my concerns with some assured displays making himself a key figure in United's side in recent seasons. From creditable Premiership performances with West Ham and then Tottenham, at United he's matured into a top class Premiership player with a fine trophy haul. He has also very recently played his way into Fabio Capello's thoughts which is not a bad feat for a guy who has Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard as competition.

I feel Michael Carrick will slot very nicely into my team. I think they would compilment each other well and that it's a midfield combo Arsene Wenger would have drooled over. Indeed Wenger at one time saw Carrick as a successor to Vieira so I'm sure he would have appreciated a Petit/Carrick partnership. While I considered going for a more attack-minded player to go alongside Petit, I decided I didn't in fact need one since I have Bergkamp up top to be my side's magician as well as the flying Arjen Robben to give opposition teams plenty to think about. All I need is Carrick to link up with these players well which his passing will certainly do.

With Rio Ferdinand at the back also I think I am well placed to cope with the long wait for my sixth pick and I'm happy to have continued my theme of picking players that ooze style and class!

I'll wrap this pick up with a Michael Carrick compilation showcasing his talents as well as my current status...

My team thus far:

Bergkamp---X

X
    Petit
    Carrick
    Robben

X
    Ferdinand--X
    X

X

Pick 1: Dennis Bergkamp
    Pick 2: Rio Ferdinand