Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Picks Only

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Ok I have a decent spine so I am taking what I feel to be one of the best attacking player left as It is a long time to my next pick. Its a bonus he was ne of my favourite players

Pick 5 : Paul Merson

_41587744_merson_416.jpg

A clever and creative player, Merson was one of the very few flair players that made in at Arsenal during GG's regime. Can play both wings as well as through the middle so his flexibility will help when making my next pick.

Off field antics stopped him from prolonging his career but reading back at what he did it was a wonder he could make it on to the pitch at all and to play as well as he did showed how much talent he had.

x
    Cantona

x
    Ince
    x
    Merson

x
    x
    Keown
    x

Martyn

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

This 20 year old power house has been an automatic starter for city in the last few seasons and has been on e of the most consistent performers.
    He made his debut against Arsenal in 2005 and was named young player of the year in 2005-2006.
    Richards became Englands youngest ever defender when he played against Holland in 2006.

A great player now but one definitley who will be a true world beater in the future.

200px-Micah_Richards_Manchester_City_v._Liverpool_1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

To say I'm happy with my latest pick would be an understatement. With so long to go til my next pick I decided to choose the perfect foil for Les Ferdinand up front. Step forward the one, the only Stanley Victor Collymore -

_39924585_collymore203pa.jpg

Collymore had all the attributes of a top class striker - power, pace and an eye for goal amongst others. Having been plucked from obscurity at Southend by Nottingham Forest he set the Premiership alight by bagging 22 goals in the 1994/95 season. This saw Forest finish in a fantastic 3rd spot.

A move to Liverpool followed in June 1995 for a British record fee of £8.5million and he promptly scored on his debut against Sheffield Wednesday. He bagged two goals in arguably the greatest Premiership game of all time (Liverpool's 4-3 win over Newcastle at Anfield) and helped the club to 3rd place also, their highest placing since 1991, and also picked up an FA Cup runners up medal as part of the 'Spice Boys'.

Relatively unsuccessful spells at Villa, Leicester and Real Oveido followed, though he did score a superb overhead kick for Bradford against Leeds.

At his peak Collymore was one of the most dangerous strikers in the league and his partnership with Ferdinand in my opinion would have been good enough at international level in another era.

Team so far -

Seaman

xxxx
    Carvalho
    Southgate----xxxx

xxxx
    xxxx
    xxxx
    xxxxx

Ferdinand
    Collymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm surprised my next pick hasn't already been taken, as I would rate him very highly, though maybe last season has weighed against him, i'm happy to have picked him up though. One of the most cultured midfielders to grace the premiership with a fantastic sense of space and timing, and a fantastic range of passing. Not bad at shooting from distance either. I'm sticking him in midfield to help control the tempo and play in the middle, and keep my team on the ball. IMO, a player who over his premiership career has proven himself a highly valuable member of his side....

Xabi Alonso.

images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Cxabi-alonso.jpg

Delighted to add him to my side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

_41632810_yakubu300.jpg

Jussi Jaaskelainen

Jaaskelainen signed for Bolton in 1997 and has shown a rare loyalty., signing another four year contract in June 2008 which could well see him spend the remainder of his career at the club. He is regarded as one of the best shot-stoppers in the Premiership.I dont really know what to say about him so this video should do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

371458steve-staunton.jpg

A classy left back in his younger years who could play at centre half too Staunton was a mainstay for Villa and Ireland throughout the early years of the premiership. Great from set plays he also provided a threat with his crossing and link up with the left winger. Also showed great leadership throughout his career and captained Villa and his country.

He will have no input in tactics or team selection though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Macherano1.jpg

Javier Mascherano

Every team needs a solid defensive platform, and few players can offer that as well as Mascherano does.

His tireless industry and stamina frees up the rest of the midfield (in my case McAllister, Juninho and Le Tissier) to get forward. Importantly, he also offers the defence a great deal of protection, acting almost as a third centre-back. This could prove crucial if I'm forced to settle for bargain-basement defenders in the later rounds!

Although he's only been in the Premiership for a short time, he has had a huge impact since joining Liverpool. He's an automatic first-choice at club level, and since featuring for Liverpool he has gone on to be an integral part of the Argentinian national team. This year he added a second Olympic gold medal as one of Argentina's three overage players, and just this month he was selected as the new captain for the national side.

My team:

x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    ----Mascherano--McAllister
    ---Le Tissier-Juninho---x
    Hasselbaink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

well im certainly beggining to find this tricky!
    Round 4 (missed pick)

Im gonna go with my Goalkeeper for the next pick, after beginning his UK career at Rangers before spending three years at Hearts Antti Niemi joined the Premiership with Southampton.

His first season in the premiership saw him win praise from many of the leading pundits and managers, as well as an FA cup final experience.
    After Southampton eventually succumbed to relegation, he joined Fulham and was once again a big part of keeping his team outside of the relegation zone.

Injuries have forced him to retire this season, and admittedly have hampered him his whole career, but when on form he is a solid, reliable and trustworthy pair of hands.
    NiemiEPA_468x729.jpg

Team so far

Niemi

Petrescu---Adams----xxx
    xxxx

xxx---xxx----xxx
    xxxx

----Wright----xxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

berbatov-ferguson_799290c.jpg

Well, time to finally pick a striker. My next pick is Dimitar Berbatov.

I know he's still relatively knew to the league, but in each of his two seasons with Spurs he broke the 20 goal mark in all competitions. With United he has 6 goals so far in 13 appearances, and I don't think many would bet against him doing it in his debut season in Manchester.

Again, not the most seasoned Premier League striker yet but I think he's been consistent enough in his time to warrant a place. Between Dimi and Poyet there'll certainly a bit of class in the final third of my team. I think if this draft was to be done in a few years time, he'd be a much earlier pick.

Team so far:

James

x
    Stam
    x

x
    Poyet
    x
    Giggs-

Berbatov
    x

After a bit of a struggle finding one to suit the job, i actually cant believe i let this one go for so long.

My first midfielder, playmaker, highly attacking, powerful, gets goals.
    Tim Cahill31 goals in 106 games for Everton is no mean feat. not to mention his high assist count.

tim_cahill.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

One of the biggest advantages of the draft is that you just pick a first XI so injuries become irrelevant and if this guy hadn't had so much trouble with injuries John Terry and Rio Ferdinand would be a very worried men
    Ledley King
    1978211368-soccer-carling-cup-final-chelsea-v-tottenham-hotspur-wembley-stadium.jpg

A mainstay of the Tottenham squad since he made his debut, Ledley is one of the best athletic centre backs in the premiership. Strong in the air and a good passer of the ball, he gives me another leader in defence. Also fits my team perfectly as before this pick I had significant gaps in both defensive midfield and centre back, positions that Ledley is luckily a natural in. He also scored the fastest goal in Premier league history, shame he can't score more of them

Teams so far.

x

--Neville---King----x
    x

x
    x

-Cole
    Okocha
    Ronaldo

x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Computer still not sorted at home so very quickly my next pick is.... Rob Lee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

When you pick Andy Cole as your first choice striker you need to make sure of two things. Firstly you've got a player in your team who can stick the ball between defence and goalkeeper with precision and a regular basis, I believe I have that covered with Beckham, who is arguably the best player in the world at doing exactly that.

The second thing you need is a striker that compliments Coles strengths, and smooths over his weaknesses. When Cole first went to United it took him a long time to settle down, mainly because Ferguson wanted him to play a different type of game. Coles strength was in running behind the defence and getting one on one with the keeper, or poaching goals inside the box. He wasn't comfortable with holding up the ball and playing other players in, which Ferguson insisted he do ultimately it made him a better player, but he was still much stronger playing his natural game.

With that in mind I needed to pick a big bustling striker, someone who is comfortable with getting the ball with his back to goal and holding off defenders. The kind of player who can flick on balls into the box or up from the defence to set Cole free in the space he loves. My second striker needs to be able to find the net as well though and give me a much needed physical presence in the box from dead ball situations.

I don't believe there's anyone left who does that better than Emile Heskey..

Emile_Heskey_369245a.jpg

My 3 attacking players have accumulated some 352 premier league goals between them as well as 377 assists for their team-mates. Whatever else happens, goals shouldn't be a problem!

Team so far:

reina

xxx xxx carragher xxx

Beckham xxx xxx xxx

Cole Heskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm going to take Harry Kewell. It's important to forget how much of a waste of space he amounted to at Liverpool, and instead remember the touch of class that he was while at Leeds.

pic339.jpg

Blessed with good accelaration and strength, Kewell was a player capable of beating his man and opening up a defense with powerful and direct running. Plus, his left foot wasn't bad - to put it mildly - and his end delivery and shot often bordered on the spectacular.

But, when things went bad at Leeds Kewell failed to pull up the socks and put the work in. During his last season at Leeds, Kewell was prone to standing up front and offering little in the way of movement, workrate or inspiration. Aside from the odd wonder goal. And this failed to change once he arrived at Liverpool - despite repeated second chances from Benitez.

Kewell is a gamble. A technically brilliant player who is severely flawed mentally. In the early years at Leeds, he was consistently great. And he will easily go down as the finest contributor ever to wear an Australlian national jersey. And the rest? Well there was always moments of magic, flashes of brilliance.

harry-kewell-in-action1.jpg

harry-kewell.jpg

Friedel, Desailly and Vieira give me a solid leadership base. Kewell and Ginola give me a cutting edge. They may frustrate for sure. But on their day? :)

Plus, his wife is awesome:

D08BA81AC742B056E67F92FFE03EF0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Louis Saha - The Fulham years especially but anytime he has been injury free over the last few years he has shown that he still has it.

stephenpondempicspa460276.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

DavidBatty_L.jpg

I've chosen David Batty this round, as I figure I can pick up the players I want in further rounds, and cos SOMEONE stole... yes, STOLE, Michael Carrick from me. As far as defensive centre mids go, keane, viera, carrick, essien who have all been picked, but David Batty would not be far off. And his overall contribution to the premiership is immense.

Before the premiership, he was at leeds when they were class. Then at Blackburn when they were good. And then at Newcastle, when they were good, and then back to Leeds when they were good again. The fortunes of all these clubs follow a pattern, with Batty = good, without Batty = bad.

DBatty1.jpg

And, just to show how much of a hero he is, and not your french wavy gravy type, when he missed the majority of the premier league winning blackburn season due to a knee injury, he refused a winners medal arguing that he hadnt earned it as much as the other lads. HERO!

I think he's a quality choice given that he can definately give keane and viera a run for their money on his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

John Barnes

For my fifth round pick I am delighted to add the first Jamaican born player to the draft.
    John Charles Bryan Barnes OBE.

BARNES_John_19960907_SF_R.jpg

John Barnes was an electric left-sided midfielder and attacker who had a superb career with Liverpool.
    He played 586 league games throughout his career, with 550 of them being at the top level of English football.
    Although it could be argued that Barnes played his best football in the old Division 1 (scoring 22 in 34 games in 89/90), in the early days of the premiership he still set the league alight with his lightning runs and some blistering goals.
    Not only does he add experiance and leadership to my current team, he also has the skill and talent to beat defenders delivering quality balls into Drogba. That or he could play beside Drogba and score goals like the following,

It was unforunate that injury played such a significant factor in the career of Barnes but none the less I feel there is plenty of value in this pick.

Finally I can not finish the write up on John Barnes without adding a clip of the (in)famous rap skills of the Liverpool Legend.

team so far: Paul McGrath
    Steven Gerard
    Ashley Young
    John Barnes
    Didier Drogba

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

My next pick is Gary Kelly

In the last day or two there has been some consternation as to whether its the best 40 game period or not for a player picked. I could of gone for a player with a better perceived ability but in the end I have chosen consistency which can't be argued with. I know i needed to add a defensive player to my team and with David Batty going just before my turn I thought it best to choose a defender this time out. The majority of good centre backs are gone however I think there is still a lot of fullbacks left in the draft to pick from. It is with this in mind that I have gone for a full back. I already have the spectacular in my team creative wise therefore I need to add a bit of mundane to the team to give that bit of consistency that is required in every team. It is with this in mind that I have chosen Gary Kelly.

Gary_Kelly_-_Large.jpg

There have been better attacking and defensive full backs in the premiership history but much like Denis Irwin Gary Kelly is the type of player you can depend on. I know exactly what I am getting unlike a combination of Ginola and Kewell for example where I can be certain I dont know who is going to turn up. Gary Kelly played over 500 games for Leeds and was an instrumental part of the team when they were challenging for honours around the 2000 mark. He was a guarantee to start in every season bar the 98-99 season where he was injured and it is this longevity that made him such a consistent performer. He played for Leeds for a total of 16 seasons and was vice captain of the team as well. He will add a level head to my team and it is his ability to perform week in week out the reason as to why I have chosen him.

I am not looking for goals from him as I feel I have the most complete attacking force out of all th teams so far so I shall be focussing on creating a solidarity to my team which I hope shall differentiate my team from the others

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Sorry for the delay, was in hospital since tuesday,

and I'm just out not so I'll give you my Pick, and will elaborate later.

Gareth Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Time to get a no nonsense central defender in.

sport-graphics-2008_695002a.jpg

I want some experience and playing with Leeds in the Champions League is the sort of central defender that I want in my team

No time for a proper write up as I'm too engrossed deciding who to put in next.

Ding Ding, A lightbulb just went off in the head.

I present to you ballack-earner.jpg

German Captain and now into his 3rd season with Chelsea, I don't think your going to get better value at this stage. I'm off out so no time for a long spiel.

Team so far.

Michael Owen
    Essien
    Evra
    Overmars
    Ballack
    Woodgate

Ok again this will and the last will get a proper post later on over the weekend

but I want Bolton Wanderer's and in my opinion the single most underrated player of all the premiership years, how is still at bolton amazes me daily.

Kevin Nolan.

Kevin Nolan and Gareth Barry will line up in the centre of my midfield, with Shaun Wright-Philips and Robert Pires providing the width.

It was always my plan these two rounds to go for 2 full backs as I felt that i could improve my team the most by having top quality professional players here as opposed to some of the mediocre centre backs or wingers left in the draft. With 2 decent full backs it also gives me some scope tactically as unlike some of the other teas who will more than likely end up with one good left/right back and one less than average one they will be constricted in midfield as they should have to get midfielders in to compensate for the weaknesses on the flanks. Also in the words of Eamonn dunphy "you cant win anything without good full backs

It is with this mind that I set out looking for a left back to slot into the team. When I was choosing Kelly as my right back it was his overall consistency and determination that attracted him to me instead of some of the more attacking ones there are. So for my Left back I have decided to go for an attacking option. It was close in the end as i was considering one old school pro, one phenominal talent unlucky to not get the recognition he deserved but in the end I have gone for John Arne Riise

John_Arne_Riise_4_Footballpictures.net.jpg

ugh that pic is a bit big.

Anyway he was Liverpool's first singing in the 2001 transfer window and made his debut in the super cup scoring against Munich. This was to set the tone for the upcoming season as he became a fantasy footballer's wet dream, keeping clean sheets, getting assists and getting into double figures for goals scored. He is versatile and although suffered a dip in form around the 2003/2004 season he was back to his best when rafa took over and he helped liverpool get to the champions league final where they stole it from Milan in 2005.

However despite how good he played for Liverpool and the fact that he has over 200 games for them as well, he will no doubt be remembered for his dramatic own goal agaisnt chelsea last season which I hope wont take away from his relative worth to my team. He is an extremely versatile player who can both attack and defend from a wide variety of positions.

With Riise and Kelly as the full backs in my team (and hopefully I can add the midfield dynamo I have earmarked next pick) I should have the makings of an excellent team. I am guarenteed to get goals with my attacking force and now it is only a matter of providing the linking players from defence to attack and it is with my last 2 players picked that I think I have.

For my sixth round pick I'm happy to choose one of the greatest left backs the premiership has ever witnessed.
    Graham(he's not gay btw) Le Saux.

le-sauz-cro.jpg

Le Saux played over 400 games for premiership clubs, in a career spanning 18 years.

The highlight of these were the four years spent at Blackburn where he was part of the Premier league winning team.
    The reason I have picked him is not only for his obvious defensive ability, but also his versatility having played games both in the centre of midfield and as a left winger.
    He was a ground breaker, being the first outed professional footballer, all this despite the fact he wasn't in fact gay. During his career he was taunted by the likes of Beckham, who called him a poof, Robbie Fowler, who infamously bent over in front of him pointing at his arse while Le Saux was preparing to take a free kick.
    This, in my opinion, unfairly takes away from the quality footballer that le saux was, when you google search him all that comes up is talk about him not being gay.

Le Saux was aggressive in the tackle, as Danny Mills can attest to. He had pace down the left wing and was a very good crosser of the ball which lead to him getting a lot of assists.

He played 36 times for his country.

Happy to have him in my team.

redknapp3.jpg

Once again I have outdone myself by securing a quality all british midfield duo in batty and redknapp, and providing myself with an opportunity to post a picture of hot football totty - and that could be true of Jamie himself, what a gent, and an excellent pundit to boot!

The other half... photo.cms?msid=706762

And his da is the bring points back to white hart lane!!

080517harry.jpg

Basically, overall he is a quality player, who is the creative element that Batty lacks, and the ball winner that batty is makes this a quality pairing in the middle. An injury stricken end to his career, but a no doubting his quality at liverpool, and he was still very much doing the business when he ended up at Spurs, a top quality passer of the ball, the logical choice given that I cant pick Carrick. So... Jamie redknapp joins my english brigade...

so far:
    Tim Flowers
    Gary Pallister
    Steve Bruce
    Ashley Cole
    David Batty
    Jamie Redknapp

• Advertisement

Looks like Im going 4-3-3, Tony Yeboah is my next pick, if only for these 2 goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

From an overall best player available standpoint, this is a slight reach. But in terms of the position itself, I reckon I'm taking the striker with the most impact on the premiership that is remaining on the board: Chris Sutton.

_42467268_chris_sutton01.jpg

In a five year stretch between 1993 and 1998, Chris Sutton scored 69 goals in 154 premiership appearances for Norwich and Blackburn. With Sutton upfront, Norwich went to Europe and Blackburn won the league and played in the Champions league.

After 1998, he managed only 6 in the final 63 premiership appearances he made before retiring in 2007(his peak years being spent in Scotland). And they were stretched out amongst four different clubs.

So, the bulk of his premiership productivity came in a five year stretch when he was aged 20 - 25. And what a player he was during that period. He wasn't a player to wow with silky technique, and never threatened to have a reputation as the scorer of candidates for goal of the season. Rather, Sutton was the prototypical 'old style English Center forward'. He was big, fast, strong and determined. He'd harry and challenge defenders; while providing a solid outlet for his team. Hit it directly for him to hold it up and he'd often manage to make it stick. Or lob it into a channel and he'd get something out of it for the team. And if you got it onto his head in the box or stuck him through beyond a defense? Goal. Sutton proved that you didn't need to be pretty on the eye in order to be effective and clinical.

_42467266_chris_sutton02.jpg

Sutton is a great man to lead my line. And he's going to enjoy better service from Kewell and Ginola than what he fed off at Norwich and Blackburn! Though probably not as good a striking partner. ;)

shearer5_burn_400x300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Another pick that might have the "relative value" posse up in arms, this player is a vital cog in my team nonetheless. A no-nonsense player that would never be accused of being a creative influence on a team, instead is most likely to be found breaking up the opposition attack before letting those in his team who are better positioned to do so bomb forward.

Although he signed profressional forms at the age of 18 it would be a further two years before he would break into the first team and really make the centre midfield position his own. In the following 10 years he played for the most dominant team in the premiership, racking up 6 titles, 3 FA Cups & a European Cup along the way. For the first 5 years of that he was the undisputed partner for Roy Keane in the engine room, and although it's fair to say that Paul Scholes started to eclipse him towards the end of his United career, it's still important to note that he averaged 27 league games a season for the reds before eventually handing in a transfer request in 2004.

An injury hit first season at Newcastle saw him sent out on loan to Birmingham the following year, returning after a bust up with former team mate Steve Bruce. In the last two seasons at Newcastle he has averaged 33 league games a year and is an integral part of their team, allowing the players with greater flair to neglect their defensive duties a little more than they would get away with if there was a lesser player alongside them.

Like Denis Irwin his contribution is often overlooked in favour of the more skillful players in the United teams that dominated the decade, but without Irwin and himself they wouldn't have been nearly as successful.

Honest, hardworking and a positive influence for the players around him an with some 391 premier league appearances to his name to date I'm delighted to pick Nicky Butt as my next pick.

Here he is as part of Fergies Babes when they first burst on the scene

_42282038_ferguson_players1_416.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In terms of actual ability and overall impact on the premiership can't think of a better value pick at this stage, Chelsea Legend
    Dennis Wise
    dennis_wise.jpg

One of the most legendary centre midfielders in the Premiership, he was a player who would do anything, legal or not to help Chelsea win. Our player of the year in 98 and 2000, he managed to keep his place regardless of how much money was spent. Great at winning the ball back he never gave up. he also got 70+ goals for us in all competitions which is a decent return from a defensive midfielder.

Team so far

x

--Neville----King
    x
    x

Wise
    x

Cole---Okocha
    Ronaldo

x

A Partner for Wrighty this time from me.

A man not entirely known for his elegance and class, but a man nonetheless who has scored goals in some extremely important matches.

In all honesty there isnt really much i can say about the robot dancing, goofy grinning freak of nature except for the fact that he is always a player who will cause defences problems, and with a player like Wright beside him to pick up the scraps my team WILL score goals.

Peter Crouch.
    peter-crouch-airbound.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Berg_Henning_000605C_70198e.jpg

Always somewhat of an unsung hero, but Henning Berg was a consistent performer for both Blackburn and Manchester United and in his combined time between the two, won several trophies. Not only is he the only player to win the Premiership with two different clubs, he also has a League Cup, FA Cup, and the small matter of a Champion's League to his name.

With Berg I'm also getting versatility; he can play both right back and centre back, which offers me flexibility with future picks.

Current team:

James

Berg
    Stam

Poyet
    Giggs

Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

_954796_frank_leboeuf300.jpgFrank LeBoeuf

Good, footballing centre-backs aren't too common in the Premiership, and I've decided to pick one of the first and most-noted to break the mould of bruisers and hackers!

He played a vital part in Chelsea's various cup-runs, and - as he frequently reminds his detractors - he won the world cup :)

So far:

x
    x---LeBoeuf-x
    x
    -McAllister-Mascherano
    Le Tissier-Juninho-x
    Hasselbaink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Had to think hard about my next pick and I'm taking a bit of a gamble on a player who has never really set the league alight mainly due to injury. If he could stay fit I've no doubt he would have gone much much higher and even in saying that I still think he's a good value pick for this stage in the draft because I dont believe there's anybody left who can match this man for ability or skill left.

So fresh from his match winning display at Stamford Bridge I give you Robin Van Persie.

Van Persie's problem has always been getting himself fit enough to play more often but when he does play he is usually one of the standout performers for his team. A left foot to die for and a powerful striker of the ball with his swinger too he has a favourable record of 35 goals in 99 premier league appearances, many of those as a substitute. His international record of 12 in 33 also highlights a player who knows where the goal is.

Add to that his creativity, vision and eye for a pass and I think I have a diamond in the rough who can play from the left wing or behind my front two depending on my next picks

Robin_Van_Persie_486360a.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Apologies for the lateness again lads, still waiting on the fine people at Eircom to sort out my broadband.

Now, to my pick. A very under-rated winger in his day and but for the emergence of one David Beckham, im sure he would have had a lot more than his 30 England caps. Injuries also restricted him to limited appearances. Anytime he did take to the field he was impressive however. My 6th pick is Darren "Sicknote" Anderton.

darren_anderton1_203_203x152.jpg

Very impressive talent at Portsmouth before his big move to Spurs where he got his England recognition. Turned down the chance to sign for Man United in 1995, if he had then who knows what path his career would have went, and also what would have happened to David Beckham.

Team at this stage

Teddy Sheringham---Yakubu

X
    Rob Lee
    X
    Darren Anderton

X
    Sami Hyypia
    X
    X

Shay Given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Steve Bould

Bould will never be thought of quite as highly as team-mates Lee Dixon, Nigel Winterburn and Tony Adams (although some Arsenal fans may disagree with that statement), with whom he formed a formidable defence but that's not to say he wasn't a brilliant defender.

He was a major component of the ‘famous four’ defence which proved so impenetrable during George Graham’s time at Arsenal, winning two league titles in the space of three seasons and also forming an integral part in the 1998 ‘double’ side. He made over 300 appearances for the Gunners after signing from Stoke City.

I need a centre back as well at this stage and I think he's the best left atm.

_946772_bould300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

arteta3.jpg
    Going for Mikel Arteta as my next pick.

One of the best midfielders currently in the premiership - a fantastic passer with fantastic technique and twice voted Everton player of the year recently. As a play maker, there are few better in the premiership at the moment, and I'm delighted to have got him.

Over the course of his time in the EPL, I think he has remained a consistently top performer, as his fantasy football tallies show! I don't think you'll get many better central midfielders at this point in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've decided to continue strenghtening the spine of my team in round 6 with the addition of a solid central midfielder in the form of Olivier Dacourt.

001205dacveron.jpg

Dacourt began his Premiership career with Everton back in 1998 but only stayed there for one season. After a year back in France with Lens he returned to the Premiership with Leeds and was an integral part of the side which never finished below 5th in the league under David O'Leary and reached the Champions League semi finals in 2001.

He was essentially a holding midfielder in the Viera form (though obviously not as good) and had a good eye for a pass.

His caps haul for France (21) would have been far greater if it had not been Viera and Claude Makelele.

Team:

Seaman

xxxx
    Carvalho
    Southgate
    xxxx

Dacourt

xxxx
    xxxx
    xxxx

Ferdinand
    Collymore

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

The left winger has made 159 appearances for Middlesborough . He made his debut in 2002. He was limited to 3 appearances the following season. He was brought back from loan with Sunderland due to Zenden being injured.

He became a pivotal figure in the side making 49 appearances and numerous assists. This led him to being called up to the England squad.

I chose Stewart Downing because of his consistent performances on the left side and for becomig one of the best players at his club.

150px-Stewart_Downing_Middlesbrough_v._Chelsea_1.png

Cudicini
    Richards-Gallas

Downing
    Zola
    Yorke----

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Again, I'm surprised this pick lasted this long as he was one of the best right wingers for years with Newcastle and then with Villa. That man is Nolberto Solano.

Nolberto-Solano_102955.jpg?mediatype=2&mediaid=102955&fitfill=fit&pvw=2

Nobby was one of the best crossers I have ever seen and took a mean free kick too. The only Peruvian that I know of that made it in the Premier league and just for good measure he is also an accomplished trumpet player and set up his own Salsa band, The Geordie Latinos.

Was Suiper for the Geordies and they were up in arms when he got sold to villa and was Player of the year there for '04/'05.

He then went back to Newcastle and played a lot at right full and kept Carr out of the team when he was back fit.

Later moved to West Ham and is now playing in Greece

Attacking options all over the park now with 2 exciting wingers and Cantona up top.

x
    Cantona

Merson----Ince
    x
    Solano

x
    x
    Keown
    x

Martyn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"He has been voted the best goalkeeper this year and I voted for him. I think he had a great season and you always need a good goalkeeper to be successful. They won the league and he was solid for the whole campaign." - Petr Cech commenting in May of last year

_44678882_edwin_winsave_ap_gall.jpg

I feel it's time to choose my main man between the sticks and I am delighted to be able to select one of the great European goalkeepers of the past two decades, and the man regarded by Fergie as the best United keeper since Schmeichel, I give to you...Edwin Van Der Sar!

I'm really surprised that Van Der Sar is still available. While it's difficult to argue against the view that he is currently reaching the end of his career, it's even harder to argue against the view that he has been a massive factor in Manchester United's recent success. After putting his professional career back on track at Fulham and helping them achieve mid-table solidity for several seasons, it led Fergie to trust him with the goalkeeping slot at United and, for me and many others, VDS is the first keeper to truly emerge from the immense shadow of the great Dane Schmeichel.

In the 2006-2007 season, he produced a string of fine saves to help United break Chelsea's dominance and bring the Premier League trophy back to Old Trafford. No save perhaps more important than his stop against Darius Vassell in the Manchester derby which secured for United three precious points. A few months later he famously saved three penos in a row to give United the Community Shield over Chelsea. Here is a look at his performances from that season (bizarrely to the tune of Ghostbusters)...

Last season, people increasingly questioned his performances, which admittedly were prone to errors, but it's worth noting that Man United only conceded 22 goals and who could forget THAT performance against Chelsea in the Champions League final where he became the first United keeper since Schmeichel to claim a Champions League medal, and one of the few players to win the competition with two different clubs (having won it with Ajax in '95). Here is a look at his performances from that season (with better music!)...

I've said throughout this draft that I wanted to form a team that oozed class and for me there's no classier or more imposing keeper left in the game than the big Dutchman. He is a man for the big occasion and a proven winner.

When one looks at his Premeirship career overall I think it's apparent that he is right up there with the very finest of the league's custodians.

My team thus far:

Bergkamp---X

X
    Petit
    Carrick
    Robben

X
    Ferdinand--X
    X

Van Der Sar

Pick 1: Dennis Bergkamp (FW)
    Pick 2: Rio Ferdinand (CB)
    Pick 3 Arjen Robben (LM/RM)
    Pick 4: Manu Petit (CM)
    Pick 5: Michael Carrick (CM)
    Pick 6: Edwin Van Der Sar (GK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

To complete my Centre back pairing I pick Martin Laursen. The best defender not picked yet imo. He oozes class and is the best Villa defender since Paul McGrath. Laursen had his injury troubles during his career and failed to make it at AC Milan due mainly to that fact. He joined Villa and continued to have injury problems, but since the arrival of Martin O'Neill at Villa Park he has been exceptional and has played almost every game. He is a rock at the heart of an Aston Villa defence that has improved the last two seasons. He is also the most dangerous man you could face in the opposing box when there is a corner to come in having scored regularly over the past two seasons from corner kicks. I feel my centre back pairing is the best pairiing, some will disagree but I'm extremely happy with both players. I think you can see with the speed of this pick that he was always going to be my next pick.

laursen.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My next pick completes my front 6, and it's Thomas Gravesen.

thomas_gravesen.jpg

An extremely versatile midfielder. He started his career in Denmark as a defensive midfielder or sweeper, but when he moved to Everton he would often get further forward, contributing vital goals and assists. He was a key player in Everton getting 4th place in 2005, and it says a lot about his quality that Real Madrid came in for him to fill the void left by Claude Makelele.

He tackles hard, he passes simply and well. Just what i need in midfield.

My team so far:

x

x
    x
    x
    x

Hamman
    Gravesen

McManaman
    Duff

Keane
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Gael Clichy - snowed under at work, write up to follow over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Round 6 - Pick 144
    Ray Parlour

_40356715_parlour270emp.jpg

In total Ray Parlour made 339 Premier League appearances for Arsenal scoring 22 goals in the process. He is, without a doubt, one of the most underrated footballers of his generation for me. Playing in a team with the likes of Henry, Ljunberg, Vieira and Pires his contribution was often overlooked by fans and media alike compared to these more flashy players.
    In picking Ray Parlour I've got a player who was consistent, solid and has the useful ability to play on the right wing or in central midfield, which gives me a bit off adaptability in coming Rounds, though I hope to play him in the central role. :)

One of my favourite Ray Parlour moments was this in the FA Cup final where he got the ball and Tim Lovejoy was commentating and said:
    "It's only Ray Parlour!" for Ray to turn around and do this:

adebayor_468x636.jpg

Is my next pick, again no time for a write up as it's Friday but I need someone that can hold up the ball and link up with Owen. I also want someone who can get on the end of an cross So I've chosen Ade, 91 games and 41 goals.

DANIEL AGGER!!!"!"!"!!

The first Liverpool pick I've made,
    I've tried to now allow it cloud my judgement and have been biding my time on the young Dane but Daniel Agger and Sol Campbell for me would be just about the best possible Cental Defense partnership.

Daniel Agger is Quick, Strong, Tall, Well able to tackle and well able to play football. He ticks all the boxes and alongside Campbell they would be create a formidable tag team.
    agbackux5ar5.jpg

he's also cool as hell, I need more cool.

In a rush so this will be quick

I have been back and forth over my next pick deciding between getting a winger, centre back or midfielder in and in the end i have gone for the midfielder. At this stage in the draft it is not about who is the best individual left but rather who compliements your team the best in my opinion. It is with that in mind I have gone for Matheu Flamini.

getfile.aspx?itemid=50267&proc=2

With over 100 appearances in an arsenal shirt it was not until he was paired up concsistently with Cesc in the middle of the park that we saw the best of him. The two of them together formed the best central midfield partnership in the premiership last season and he clearly brought out the best in Cesc as his form and arsenal's form as a whole has dipped since his departure to Milan.

will put some more stuff in tomorrow

"Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to work we go" - Seven Dwarfs

When it comes to work rate there are a few players who instantly spring to mind for their tireless efforts on the pitch.

And one of these is Manchester United's Argentinian beauty Carlos Tevez
    Carlos_Tevez_Manchester_United_Premier_League_801194.jpg

The Argentinan forward caused shockwaves when it emerged that he, along with Mascherano, had signed for Premiership nobody's West Ham united. He scored the goal that secured the Hammers premiership status along with winning player of the year and Hammer of the year club accolades.

He then got sold to Man Utd, where he played 34 games last season, scoring 14 goals. More then anything however is the workrate that Tevez shows on the field, tireless runs lead to a good number of assists.
    For this reason I believe he will be a great asset to my team, he can play either behind or beside Drogba and the two will undoubtedly forge a good partnership as Drogba's physical prowess will partner Tevez's superb technical assets.
    SNF28BIZ06-280_495304a.jpg
    Be aware opposition defenders, you will be tired having chased this little argentinian around the pitch for ninety minutes.

As Fergie would say, "Tevez will only score fifteen goals in a season, but they will be important goals"

Team thus far: McGrath DC
    Le Saux DL/ML
    Gerard DMC/MC/AMC
    Barnes MC/ML/AML
    Young AML/AMC/AMR/
    Tevez FC
    Drogba FC

darren-bent.jpg
    So with a solid spine in my time:

Tim Flowers
    Bruce, Pallister, Ashley Cole
    Batty, Redknapp

... and running short on english goalscoring talent, I'm going with a painting by numbers solution. Who has the best goals per game ratio, who has been the top english goalscorer in the premiership on occasion, who is always going to hit double figures, who is a goal machine... i give you DARREN BENT.

In his years at charlton, and now at spurs, his impact on the premiership has been huge, with just under 50 goals in 100 games. In 05-06, his first season in the premiership he got 18 in 36, or 1 in every 2, making him the highest scoring englishman that season, and that was part of a p1ss poor charlton team.

darren_bent_scores_fourth_470x365.jpg

Even this season at spur in the premiership he has 7 in 14, or 1 in every 2, and thats to say nothing for his goalscoring in cup competitions, where he has 5 in 5. He is a goal machine, and actually starting to look like he could pay back some of the ridiculous £16m that was spent on him. Given his scoring figuers this season, to buy him from spurs in the summer would cost £20m!

Darren Bent = Goals Goals Goals Goals

• Advertisement

Gilberto Silva

Amazed he hasnt been picked yet.

arsenalPA1904_468x707.jpg

Advertisement