Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Picks Only

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Seeing as it's been 24 hours and the two ahead of me have not picked I'm going ahead.

Richard Dunne
    images%3Fq%3Drichard%2Bdunne%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

It takes an extremely special and consistent player of the year four times in a row but that's exactly what Richard Dunne has done since the 2003/04 season. For 3 and a half years he was without a doubt Man City's best player, a veritable rock at the back, referring both to his solidness and lack of pace. Fierce in the air, great positioning and very skillful for a defender, I think he'd be the perfect partner for King given the options at this stage

x

---Neville
    King----Dunne
    x

Wise
    x

--Ronaldo
    Okocha
    Cole

x

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Ok, i will do a proper write up this evening. I am absolutely delighted to be able to introduce this man to my midfield..........Tugay!!

Given

X
    Hyypia
    X
    X

Anderton---Tugay--Rob Lee---X

Sheringham---Yakubu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

With this pick I was a little unsure as to who to go for. I believe that some of the players I want will still be available in later rounds, so I've gone for someone who may not be.

This guy is one of the most consistent performers in the premier league since he joined Coventry 10 years ago for a bargain £200,000 from Feyenoord. The following season he was sold for £4.5m to Aston Villa and went on to play 131 games for the Villains. After falling out with the Villa manager he joined Middlesborough for £5m where he was one of their most influential players for the next 6 years.

A tough tackling no-nonsense centre midfielder who can also play at centre-half if required, with himself and Nicky Butt marshalling the middle of the pitch for me I'm confident that no team will walk right through us.

My next pick is George Boateng

_41120159_boateng300.jpg

Team so far:

Reina

xxx Carragher xxx xxx

Beckham Butt Boateng xxx

Cole Heskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

He may have been coming towards the end of his illustrious career by the time the premiership was invented but his return to England with Sheffield Wednesday after a spell with Marseille was one which added a little bit of class to the leagues early years.

Its still a wonder as to why the hell Graham Taylor never picked him for England during his 4 year stint in the premiership.

The first real bit of class in my team.

Chris Waddle
    chris-waddle2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Arsenal_Wiltord_med.jpg

To get a member of the 2004 Arsenal 'Invincibles' team at this stage of the draft is good value I think. Although his influence in the team had began to wane towards the end of that season, Sylvain Wiltord was a very decent player in his time with Arsenal. He's fondly remembered most for his winning goal at Old Trafford (as much as it pains me to reflect on as a United fan) that clinched Arsenal's 01/02 Premiership title. Earlier this year, a poll on Arsenal's website listed Wiltord as 33rd in the top 50 Arsenal players ever.

Forgive the shoddy quality of this video, but admire some of the class about his goals:

Team so far:

James

Berg
    Stam
    xxx
    xxx

Wiltord
    xxx
    Giggs

Poyet

Berbatov
    xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

rosicky_tomas.jpg
    Tomas Rosicky

There are few top class wingers remaining, and even fewer left-wingers, so the time is right for me to pick up this Czech gem! As well as filling in the left side of my midfield, he'll offer a lot through the centre too. He has done well during his time at Arsenal, and the only real black mark against him is his fragility, which thankfully isn't a concern for the purpose of this draft. An attacking trio of Le Tissier, Juninho and Rosicky should have most defenses worried!

Team so far:

x
    x---LeBoeuf
    x----X
    -McAllister-Mascherano
    Le Tissier-Juninho-Rosicky
    Hasselbaink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

My next pick is Olaf Mellberg

Owner of the coolest beard in football, the proverbial Rock at the heart of your defence Mellberg was an almost ever present fixture in the Villa defence for 7 seasons. Playing 231 PL games Mellberg was Villa captain until he resigned the postion after the 2006 World Cup. Played out of position during his final year at the club Mellberg didnt reach the heights of performance of previous years but still put in a solid shift at right back. A class act on the pitch and off too he gave every away Villa fan a jersey with his name and number after his final game for the club. A true legend and a class addition to my team

48877.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

r151817_541846.jpg

I need a striker up front who is able to hold the ball up and lay it off for Di Canio, Gudjohnsen and Scholes. I feel that Viduka is perfect for this. He's strong, has good feet and when he's on top form, many defenders say that he's unplayable.

His 59 goals in 4 seasons for Leeds shows that he also has the ability to score himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Need to back up my central defence, and i had banked on Olaf still being available, but I think I have come up with a good replacement for him.

Sylvan Distin.

Captained Manchester City, vice captain at Pompey so obvious leadership qualities. Fast as any centre back around, strong too and tough in the tackle. He has his faults, but his pace and strength will get him out of most situations and coupled with the pace and strength of Kolo at the back, no team will out muscle or out pace my centre backs.

And now for some hoimoeroticism....

2910980320.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

My team at the moment is full of pace and strength so I've decided to compliment that with some guile and creativity. Taking his place in midfield is Eyal Berkovic.

1530305.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A68EEC9AA04D0502689930FDCFC4C15FBB

155_berkovic.jpg

The little Israeli is one of my favourite players to have played in the Premiership. Known as Ha-Kossem ("The Magician"), in his homeland, Berkovic was a consistantly great performer at all the clubs he played for.

He started out at Southampton and bagged two goals in the memorable 6-3 victory over Manchester United (pictured above). After a season at The Dell he moved to West Ham where he became friends with the fans as well as John Hartson's boot. 10 goals in 65 games as well as countless assists secured a move to Celtic for a fee of £5.75 million. Two years later he fell out of favour with Martin O'Neill and was back in the Prem with Blackburn.

A short spell there was followed by a move to Manchester City and it's there that I saw what an unbelievable talent he truly was. Himself and Ali Benarbia destroyed teams in a 3-5-2 formation, and probably his finest hour in a blue shirt came when we beat United 3-1 in the last ever derby at Maine Road. Eyal was on fire that day as he fed the Goat with one particularly stunning pass.

Voted our Player of the Year for 2002/03.

Later enjoyed a spell at Portsmouth where he helped them avoid relegation but he is being picked for his performances at Southampton, West Ham and City.

He also scored my favourite ever City goal (though that was in the FA Cup) -

I see his role in my team as being the player to thread balls through to use the pace and power of Collymore, while also bringing my wingers into play. With Dacourt mopping up behing him he will essentially have a free role to drift around the middle of the park and get his foot on the ball whenever possible.

Team -

Seaman

xxxx
    Carvalho
    Southgate
    xxxx

Dacourt

xxxx
    Berkovic
    xxxx

Collymore
    Ferdinand

(Depending on what wingers are available I may push Berkovic out wide as there are a huge amount of centre mids left)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

I have gone back to my full backs for this pick and I have selected Silviniho.

sil.jpg

A great left back to play alongside Keown, He was only here 2 years before a combination of ashley cole and Passport problems saw him leave. He was one of the best attacking full backs I have seen and will cause teams no end of problems when coming forward.

Also a very solid defender as he had to be to come after Winterburn and keep the fans onside.

He moved on to become a fan favourite at Celta vigo and then went on to Barca.

Here is his late late winner against chelsea

x
    Cantona

Merson----Ince
    x
    Solano
    Silviniho----x
    Keown
    x

Martyn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"He'll be a top goalscorer." - Sir Alex Ferguson speaking in 2003.

"I like him. He is a very good young player." - Jose Mourinho

"Jermain Defoe will pose a threat." - Rafa Benitez

defoe_682x400_441557a.jpg

As I've said in previous rounds my aim throughout the draft has been to mould a team that just oozes class and as I feel it's time to select my strike partner for Dennis Bergkamp, I can think of no better or classier striker available to fill the role than...Jermain Defoe!

When I think of Jermain Defoe I think of one word - predator. I've always been a fan of Defoe's and felt he was one of the more underrated strikers of the Premier League. If you take a look at his record in the Premiership since his time at West Ham in 1999, his strike rate is frightening. I've always felt the main problem Defoe had was that he was never trusted with a first-team spot at previous clubs despite an incredibly impressive goalscoring record.

For instance at West Ham he notched up 29 goals in 93 League games. That's impressive in itself but bear in mind that he was a substitute for 31 of those 93 games. Of course he was a young man at that time so you could make a defence for West Ham on those grounds but similarly, if you look at his time at Spurs, he notched up 43 goals in 139 League appearances. Again, a very impressive strike rate but even moreso when you discover he was a substitute for 51 of those games!

When you look at his time at Portsmouth since joining them in January you can see how a good run in the first-team benefits him. For Pompey he's played 26 league games and scored 15 goals. Already this season he has got 7 goals.

Simply put Jermain Defoe, as Harry Redknapp once famously said, is a goal machine. He is a classy striker with great finesse and the ability to score a wide range of goals. It's not hard to see why Spurs fans miss him so much, why they gave him a great reception at the Pompey vs Spurs game earlier this season and why they want him back at White Hart Lane. At international level too he continues to impress having scored - yep you guessed it as a sub - in England's 5-1 win over Kazakhstan in their qualifier. Here's a decent vid showcasing his talents...

I find it interesting that Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov, who kept Defoe from a good run in the Spurs team, are struggling at present in the Premiership and battling to keep their places, yet Defoe - who is enjoying a run in the first team with Pompey - is once again banging in the goals and worrying defences. I mean no disprespect to those great forwards by making that point as I'm sure they will come good eventually, but I think it shows the old adage to be true, "form is temporary but class is permanent".

I think my strike partnership of Bergkamp just off Defoe, with able support (hopefully) from my central midfielders and the wings, will prove more than a handful for the other teams left in the draft.

My team thus far:

Defoe

Bergkamp

X
    Petit
    Carrick
    Robben

X
    Ferdinand--X
    X

Van Der Sar

Pick 1: Dennis Bergkamp (FW)
    Pick 2: Rio Ferdinand (CB)
    Pick 3 Arjen Robben (LM/RM)
    Pick 4: Manu Petit (CM)
    Pick 5: Michael Carrick (CM)
    Pick 6: Edwin Van Der Sar (GK)
    Pick 7: Jermain Defoe (FW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Whew, I thought he might go in this round before it got to me. To complete the spine of my team I take a box to box midfielder, a brilliant passer, a great tackler and eye for goal and add to that a great leader on the pitch as well.

I give you Andrew David Townsend.

Andy Townsend played for Chelsea, Norwich and Southampton among other teams before that. He did not take football seriously until he finished college and made his way up from Welling United to Weymouth where he was spotted by Lawrie McMenemy who was then manager of Southampton. Townsend made his debut for them against Aston Villa, the team he was to win his only silverware with. He moved on to Norwich from Southampton and was shortlisted for the PFA player of the year award in the year that Mark Hughes won it. It was during this time that he decided to play for the Republic of Ireland. He would go on to Captain the Republic after Mick McCarthy. He kept Roy Keane out of the first team for Ireland due to his brilliant displays.

His performances for Ireland and Norwich upped his profile and he moved to Chelsea for 1.2 million pounds in July 1990. He continued on an upward curve and Ron Atkinson signed him for Aston Villa in July 1993 for 2.1 million, which was one of the biggest transfer at the time. He became a huge hit at Villa and won the league cup in his first season with a victory over Manchester United. He went on to Captain Villa in their 1996 triumph in the same competition in 1996. He played 135 times for Aston Villa before moving on to Middlesboro in 1997 at 32 years of age and helping them secure promotion to the the Premier League. He played for them throughout the next season as they finished mid table and maintained their premiership status. Age eventually took its toll and Andy could not command a first team place at boro and so moved on to West Brom Albion where he only made 17 appearances before a recurring knee problem forced him into retirment.

Andy Townsend was a magnificent midfielder, he had so much energy about him, he never shirked a tackle, he could score great goals and he could cut open a defense with his passing. I was always a huge fan of the man and loved to watch him play for Ireland. I am deligted to have him in my team. I do admit I forgot about him up to about a week and a half ago. I was sweating for the last couple of days in case someone else got him before me.

Unfortunately there is no youtube of Andy's best moments.

_824279_towsend300.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My 7th pick is one of the best full-backs to have graced the premier league, and also one of the most under-rated: Rob Jones.

rob_jone.jpg

I've had him in mind for right back since this thing was announced, so i'm delighted to have got him. Nicknamed Trigger after the Only Fools & Horses Character, Jones was a great all round left back. Very solid defensively and he contributed greatly to Liverpool's attacking adventures of the time, often employed by Roy Evans as a Wing-back (left or Right).

Sadly, his career was all but over by 1996, when he was just 25 - he played just a bit part in the years to follow. Made just 8 appearances for England, but i reckon he could have given Neville a run for his money had he been allowed to reach his peak.

He made more than 200 appearances for Liverpool, and i'm hoping he and McManaman will dish up the same delights for me on the Right Flank as they so often did for Liverpool in the early 90s.

Team:

Jones
    X
    X
    X

McManaman---Hamann
    Gravesen
    Duff

Keane
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Another rush job I'm afraid, going with Nwanko Kanu - if anyone deserves a proper write up it's this guy so it will definitely follow over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

ROUND 7 - PICK 168
    Lee Carsley

_42774607_carsley300.jpg

I've decided my team really needs a bit of a kick up the arse defensively. I have the wings cover but the spine of the team ain't great.
    My thought with this pick is that I need someone who doesn't mind spending the game shielding the defence and picking up anyone in the gap between midfield and defence. I figured Lee Carsley does this better than anybody else left.
    He's played for Coventry, Blackburn and Everton all in the Premiership, and I fully expect to see him back next year with Birmingham.
    He's made 250 Premier League appearances in total.

ROUND 8 - PICK 169
    Lucas Neill

113496923-soccer-barclays-premier-league-manchester-united-v-west-ham-united.jpg

In my opinion Neill represents good value at this stage of the draw. He is a very versatile player and, along with Carsley, will add a combativeness in my team.
    He has played with both Blackburn Rovers and West Ham in the Premiership, notching up 200 appearances.
    Johan Neeskens, who went on to become Frank Rijkards assistant manager said Neil could easily play for any of the top teams. In 2006 there was rumours that both Chelsea and Barcelona were interested in signing him. Liverpool were the only team to put a bid on the table however and it was rejected in favour of a move to West Ham where he is now captain.
    He is also captain of the Socceroo's

Now I leave you with this somewhat haunting picture....

lucasneill_wideweb__470x321,0.jpg

Another rush job, apologies guys I really have been working non-stop for the last while - David Platt.

I'm at work so i won't go into too much detail. My 8th pick is Stephane Henchoz.

henchoz.jpg

Great in a poor Blackburn side, and wonderful alongside Sami Hyypia at Liverpool, forming the 2/5 of the meanest back 5 in the land. He was one of the best tacklers i've seen and has over 200 premier league appearances to his name. Never got the same credit that Sami did, but i think he's a wonderful player.

X

Jones
    Henchoz
    X
    X

McManaman
    Hamann
    Gravesen
    Duff

Henry
    Keane

roland_nilsson_lee_sharpe_350x300.jpg

There have been a lot of right backs picked already but to me the best one has not been picked until now. For my next pick I select Roland Nilsson. Nilsson played for Sheffield Wednesday from 1989 until he returned home to helsingborg in 1994. He spent a couple of years there before returning to the premier league to play with Coventry City in 1997 where he stayed for two years before returning home to helsingborg again. I consider him the Denis Irwin of the right side as he never made mistakes. He had power and pace and could charge right up the wing and deliver a cross also. At the back he was superb and received rave reviews and many man of the match awards which is rare for a full back.
    Roland is also the second most capped player in Swedish history playing for his country 116 times over a 14 year period.

trivia-2409-20080224230221.jpg

• Advertisement

"Without question the best natural defender this club has had for years." - Sir Alex Ferguson

sp5.jpg

I regard this pick as quite possibly the most significant I'll make in the draft due to the timing of it, the wait I have for my next pick and as it involves what I perceive to be the final 'major' area of my team. For that reason I've decided to go tactical and opt for a defender who can play in not one but two positions at the back. Gents I give to you the very classy and very solid man himself...Sir Wesley Brown!

I must say I'm surprised Brown has been overlooked by so many people. He made the PFA Team of the Year for 2001 as a centre-back and was no doubt close to making this year's team in 2008 as a right-back as he was in terrific form for United. To my mind that makes him outstanding value at this late stage of the game.

Brown was thrust into the United team in the 1998-99 season where United managed the treble. He showed himself that season to be one of England's brightest talents. Unfortunately, following that season he did in his cruciate and missed the entire campaign. He showed great resolve however to bounce back from that disappointment and he produced fine displays for United for several seasons, earning plaudits from his peers and from his manager in spite of a good few niggling injuries.

I think it's fair to say Brown really matured and came on a lot last season. Playing 36 of United's 38 League games as a right-back he was a key fixture in United's League and Champions League winning defence which conceded just 22 goals. He also produced an immense performance against Barcelona filling in at centre-back for the absent Vidic where he and Rio Ferdinand (also in my team) kept Messi and co. at bay. Here's a good vid highlighting just what Brown brings to the table...

At present Brown is out injured having had an exploratory ankle operation in news Fergie described as "really disappointing". His aim is to return in 3 or 4 weeks. No doubt Brown will have stiff competition for a place with Neville and young Rafael vying for places, but with a contract up to 2012 it's clear Brown is very much in Ferguson's plans.

Brown is one of the classiest defenders available and fits in well with my team which is aimed around that very word, 'class'. I'm confident that wherever I choose to play him - a decision I won't yet make as I'll see how the rest of the draft goes - I'm confident he will do a great job for me.

Dealing with these two won't be an easy task for any team...

483064302-soccer-barclays-premier-league-wigan-athletic-v-manchester-united-jjb.jpg

My team thus far:

Defoe

Bergkamp

X
    Petit
    Carrick
    Robben

X
    Ferdinand----Brown
    X

Van Der Sar

Pick 8: Wes Brown (CB/RB)

I think we are nearly at the stage where a lot of similar standard players are out there to be taken but I will finish off my midfield with a Premiership winner and a man who made over 400 premiership appearances : Tim Sherwood

0,,10303~3306649,00.jpg

Became a mainstay of the Blackburn side that finished 2nd to utd in '94 season before winning it the following year. Should have won some England caps then but was overlooked for years.

After Blackburn he moved to Spurs and made almost 100 appearances before falling out with Hoddle and moving to Pompey where he helped win them promotion to the premiership.

x
    Cantona
    Merson----Ince----Sherwood----Solano
    Silviniho----x
    Keown
    x
    Martyn

Apparently 12 hours are up so it's pick time. Delighted to announce the acquisition of Tricky Trev Sinclair. Report to follow tomorrow when I'm sober.

EDIT: It's getting tough to pick wingers so I've gone for a bit of versatility with Trevor Sinclair who could do a job on either the left or right.

Made his name at QPR in the mid 90s and played over 150 games for them before moving to West Ham where he was part of an excellent side.

Eventually moved on to us and was quite excellent during his spell a the club and became a real fans' favourite.

I think at this stage he's a solid pick and will do a great job on either side.

Even though it was scored in the FA Cup, no Trevor Sinclair tribute would be complete without this goal -

Team -

Seaman

xxxx
    Carvalho
    Southgate
    xxxx

Dacourt

Sinclair
    Berkovic
    xxxxx

Collymore
    Ferdinand

Despite Xavi trying to screw me over by not informing me that it is my turn.... i'll make my pick now to keep things ticking along.

I want to add pace, strength, power, directness, a left foot and 'youth' (:D) to my team, so my next pick is....

obafemimartinsap_468x603.jpg

Obafemi Martins.

As quick as any player that has graced the premiership, and has shown in his time that when in a team playing well he can be an absolute star, so in my team he should be a great addition and the pace and power down the left channel of the pitch. There may be better players around, but I think he will fit in well with my team and offer something a bit different.

Happy to add him to my squad.

derby_county_kits_gallery_98_99_away_stimac_470x300.jpg

I spent the last few picks hoping that this guy wouldn't be picked. When playing he was absolutely a world class defender. There was often talk of bigger clubs being interested in him, like Juventus for an example, but injuries stopped it from ever happening.

He was a great leader and physically very strong. He was very good in the in the air.
    Integral for Derby's short rise and of course for the great Croatia team of the 90s where he was one of the leaders. It is a shame that he had a lot of injury issues in his career and that his talent was not brought into one of the big teams.

With him and Bould, I have a very good centre back pairing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

sorry guys I was in the land of no internet. Right my pick is Tony Hibbert. He'll let Micah Richards slot into the centre of defense along with Gallas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Neil Sullivan
    1280498.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6F965FC5AFB20619D9930FDCFC4C15FBB

I need to sort out a keeper, and options are getting more and more limited. I'm delighted to be able to pick a keeper who was consistently rated with the best throughout most of the Premiership years. Sullivan was a hugely dependable keeper for the unfashionable crazy gang, before moving on to Spurs, and eventually Chelsea. He was also recognised at international level, where he made 28 caps for Scotland.

Despite playing for a host of clubs for more than a decade, he never won a medal. Who knows what would have happened if rumours linking him with a 5 million pound move to Man Utd to replace Peter Schmeichel had become true?

Sullivan
    x
    x---LeBoeuf
    X
    --McAllister-Mascherano
    Le Tissier-Juninho-Rosisky
    Hasselbaink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

ehiogu.jpg

I’m happy to complete my centre back pairing with Ugo Ehiogu, who enjoyed his best Premier League football with Aston Villa and Middlesbrough. He made over 300 appearances for Villa, including the victorious League Cup final in 1996, before joining Boro for £8 million in 2000. He resurrected a successful partnership with his former Villa colleague Gareth Southgate, and featured in another successful League Cup final, helping Boro to the trophy in 2004.

In his prime he won four England caps, perhaps unlucky not to win a few more. Ehiogu was unlucky with injuries towards the end of his Boro career, and he eventually moved to Leeds on loan, before going on to Rangers.

James

Berg
    Stam
    Ehiogu
    xxx-

xxx
    xxx

--Wiltord
    Poyet
    Giggs

Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Not feeling up to it right now so ill sort out a right up in the morning, but ill finish of my back four with this pick

Michael Ball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Want to finish off my back 4 with my eigth pick.
    bridge.jpg
    Wayne Bridge

Going with one of the best defensive left backs left to balance my defence.By all rights this man should have played far more games for us then 87 consistenly outperforming Asier and Ashley (bar the newest regime change) whenever given the chance. Great distribution, very very solid and consistent (played 113 premiership games in a row for Southampton, for who he was an everpresent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

I've decided to change the shape of my team from a traditional 4-4-2 to more of a 4-2-2-2 with two wide forwards. To do this I'm gonna need someone in the middle with Gary Speed to break up the play and pick a pass to let my front four do what they do best. At this stage in the draft I cant think of anyone better for this job than Danny Murphy

dannymurphy3.jpg

Murphy has played just shy of 300 premier league games starting his premiership career at Liverpool before spells at Charlton, Spurs and Fulham. Decent in the tackle and with an eye for a pass Murphy also has the pleasant habit of scoring important goals, witness his 3 goals in four seasons against United with led to 1-0 Liverpool wins and his crucial headed goal against Portsmouth last year to secure Fulham's survival.

His missus is also extremely tasty and you know, any old excuse

joanna-taylor.jpg

Team so far:

Bosnich

RB CB Mellberg Staunton

D. Murphy Speed

FWR RVP

Torres Fowler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im going to complete my central defence with this absolute rock of a defender. Signed by Graeme Souness in 1991 for £2.5m, it was one of the few good signings he made. This man went on to make 210 appearances for Liverpool and getting a few goals too. 45 England caps to his name aswell show the quality of the man.

I am happy to partner Sami Hyypia with Mark Wright
    mark_wright1_420x284.jpg

Im sure a lot of people are going to claim Liverpool bias with my 2 centre halves but i genuinely believe they are 2 of the finest defenders to ever grace the premiership. When Wright was signed, it was seen as a lot of money for a defender. But he soon won over the critics with some great performances. An absolute animal at the back and continued the tradition set by Alan Hansen of being a ball playing centre half. Injuries slightly curtailed his career but he still played until the age of 35. He was such a solid defender he even earned a recall to the England side for Euro 96, injury sadly took that away from him.

Partnering him with Sami is going to ensure that no strikers have an easy game against my team.

Given

X
    Sami Hyypia
    Mark Wright----X

Darren Anderton---Tugay---Rob Lee---X

Teddy Sheringham---Yakubu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Trevor Sinclair was going to be my next pick, but that was thwarted!!

Football is all about giving yourself options, so my next pick was chosen with this in mind. I was also cognisant of the fact that at this stage of the draft there are a few key attributes that you should be hoping to get from each pick.

The first is obviously experience, and with 364 career appearances in the top flight over 15 years, including 329 starts this player has that in spades. You're hoping for a little versatility if possible, again as he's equally comfortable playing through the centre or on the left it gives me options for my next pick. You hope that they can contribute to both the defending and attacking element of the team, and as a defender his 38 league goals and 35 league assists isn't too shabby, and last but not least you want someone who can play on the big occasion. In his last game in the premier league he nonchantly scored the penalty that saved his club from relegation, whilst also condemning his previous club to that fate. The one blotch on his copybook is the fact that he never really broke into the national team making only the one appearance for the senior side. Although with Sol Campbell, Tony Adams & Martin Keown available at centre back as well as Stuart Pearce owning the left-full position it was always going to be a struggle for him.

I'll admit to some surprise that he hasn't gone earlier in the draft, as while there are undoubtably some better centre-halfs and left backs available not everyone picked to date would fit that criteria imho.

Either way I'm delighted to take David Unsworth as my next pick, a real warrior on the pitch and a rock for my back line.

Seen below scoring what was dubbed in the media as the £50M goal for Wigan v's Sheffield United

338465-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Des Walker. Working on the write up for him and Finnan and will post them later.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sorry didn't see that above. Right Kevin Campbell it is. Campbell made 499 appearance scoring 149 goals in that time. He joined Everton in 1999 where he cored 45 goals where he finished top scorer in his final season.

He also had spells with Aresnal, Nottingham Forest, Trabonspor and WBA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Jerzy Dudek

Twice nominated for UEFA gk of the year while at Liverpool and made some crucial saves in the CL final against AC Milan.

250505dudek.jpg

..........................Dudek
    Psycho Pearce Terry ...... .......
    ............Gilberto Silva
    ........................Di Matteo
    ............Saha ...................Sparky Hughes
    ........................Yeboah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

For my ninth round pick, I'm happy to choose Cameroonian right back Laureano Bisan Etame-Mayer

lauren.jpg

Lauren came to prominance as part of Cameroon's African Cup of Nation's winning team in 2000, in the same tournement he was awarded player of the tournement, quite unprecedented as a right back.

It was during the summer of the tournement that he secured a 7.2million deal to Arsenal
    During the first season with the Gunners, Lauren struggled with injury, but by the time Arsenal had won the Double in 2001-02, Lauren was an integral part of the Arsenal defence. He played 159 times for Arsenal before his move to Portsmouth.
    During his time at Arsenal he won three FA cup medals and 2 premiership medals. He got his fourth FA cup medal with Pompey last year.

I believe Lauren is also the drafts first Olympic gold medalist winning gold in Sydney.

274075065_110b1bf766.jpg?v=0

Be warned Ronaldo, Lauren takes no prisoners.

He is a steady right back and I believe I am one DC away from possibly the best backline in the draft. Le Saux and Lauren are both rock steady full backs who rarely make a mistake and nobody can argue that McGrath isn't one of the best of all tiem.

Finally I'd like to add a picture of what this draft has been missing
    mr5.jpg

Team so far

Lauren
    McGrath
    Le Saux
    Young
    Gerard
    Barnes

Tevez

Drogba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Aaron Lennon!! Quality little right mid who when he burst onto the scene with england changed games when he came on, then for a spell let his own hype get to him and kinda dropped off under ramos, was quality uner jol and has been QUALITY last few months under 'Arrry. Need a winger, and an england international is never a bad little pick!!

Tottenham+Hotspur+v+West+Ham+United+Premier+oasuR64NO6El.jpg

And he's English!! So my Team is

GK: Tim Flowers
    RB:
    LB: Ashley Cole
    CB: Steve Bruce
    CB: Gary Pallister
    RM: Aaron Lennon
    LM:
    CM: David Batty
    CM: Jamie Redknapp
    ST:
    ST: Darren Bent

So English! So very solid at the back! Attacking left back, ATTACKING right mid. Goal scoring goal scorer scorer of goals up front. Honestly beginning to think I cant be beaten. Lennon add's an attacking flair i needed, if i can pair him with a dangerous english left mid and a decent english right back, supplying balls for a 6 yard box poacher like bent its going to rain goals and we aint going to concede! Go Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I need a big strong centre back and thats why i've gone for Herman Hreidarsson.

EMP-4608050.jpg

The Icelandic international has been in the premiership since the 99 season where he struggled with a shambles of a wimbledon team. It was after their relegation that new boys Ipswich decided to splash out on him and he was immense their first season defying the odds and helping them to finish 5th in the league. They were relegated the next season and although clubs were interested in him he was not interested in another relegation battle so he joined Charlton. He played over 100 games for Ipswich and over 130 for charlton in 3 seasons which showed his consitency at the top flight. He is currently playing for portsmouth.He is someone in my opinion that has had his reputation suffer a bit because of the constant relegation battles and if he had of gone to one of the title challenging or even more stable teams there is no doubt that his reputation would be better than it is today.

herman_280x390_456832a.jpg

The reason I went for him is the fact that he is strong in both the air and on the ground and he's not afraid to get stuck in. He offers me height and dependability at the back. I felt that iIhad to get a centre back in this pick as since mayordenis put up his list and said everyone needs centre backs there has been a mad scramble to get them sooner rather than later. I would have preferred to have added an exciting winger but for the god of my team I have gone for him. He plays left back more so than centre back these days and this offers me some flexability as if there appears to be no left wingers left later on i can move Riise to midfield and work from there if needs be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

63a_15_save_415x275.jpg

Feck it, this player keeps teams in the Premiership.

• Advertisement

I was gonna wait for Rasta to amend his pick but I have to head to work soon and don't want to skip my go.

ROUND 9 - PICK 193

Jimmy Bullard

_44472538_badgerfight.jpg

Bullard for me, represents the reason someone should want to play football. He shows that he loves the game and it's not all about the money. He is well known to have a good sense of humour ( the 'jocking' incident and trying to have his goal allowed when he scored after the floodlights went out in the Carling Cup.

He's a technically gifted footballer and can give the kind of delivery from corners that I have been lacking so far and which will be much appreciated by the likes of Anelka and Dublin.
    He has never been seen as one of the current Premiership greats as he has been with the likes of Wigan and Fulham, for me though he represents gooc value at this stage of the draw and adds a spark of creativity to the midfield.

Quality Bullard clip:

Kasey Keller - still busy so write up to follow, probably on Chistmas Day the way things are going in work atm.

This has been by far my toughest pick. Three positions left to fill: CB, LB & Gk and no pick for nearly two full rounds. I've decided to go for the position with the most vacancies still to fill (i think) in other teams, and the least amount of quality players left (i'm 100% sure on this!)

Pick number 9 is John Beresford.

1994-11-19bez2.jpg

Most famous for his spell in the ultra-attacking Newcastle United side of the mid ninties. Solid defender, who got no help from Ginola & Co in front of him (he'll get plenty of help from Duffer), and very good going forward. He'll give my team great balance i feel, two quality wingers, two overlapping full-backs and plenty of quality in between

My team so far:

X

Jones
    Henchoz
    X
    Beresford

McManaman--Hamann----Gravesen
    Duff

Keane
    Henry

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Right I'm not even this players biggest fan, but as with my picks so far I'm trying to be as unbiased as possible, I don't particularily like the guy and I know he has a reasonably bad rep in Ireland.
    But Ian Harte was for many years right up there as the best left back in the prem.

harte.jpg

Known mostly for his Free Kicks and generally delivery, the guy had a sweet left leg and was a great passer.
    Reasonably pacey in his early years, and tactically aware.

whatever, it's Ian Harte.

Sol Campbell ---- Daniel Agger
    Ian Harte

Shaun Wirght-Phillips - Gareth Barry ---- Kevin Nolan
    Robert Pires

Jurgen Klinnsman

I complete my back four with Alan Wright. Wright played for Blackburn but the emergence of Graeme Le Saux cut his appearances for Rovers in their championship winning season. He still received his Premier League medal before moving on to Aston Villa where he made a name for himself as a solid left back. He made 260 appearances for Aston Villa between 1995 and 2003 before moving on to Middlesborough where he did not have much success appearing only two times for them. He was 33 years old at that stage but he still plays presently with Cheltenham Town. He was a rock solid defener during his time in the Premier League.
    For me this is the most competent defender left at this stage of the draft. I'm happy with my defence now.

_41376243_alanwright.jpg

_1482065_wright300.jpg

Southall
    Nilsson
    Laursen
    Vidic
    Wright

Makelele

Townsend

Beardsley

Shearer

"He demonstrates all the qualities of the top Argentinian defenders - strength, speed and excellent technical ability." - Sir Alex Ferguson

art.heinze.gi.jpg

Throughout the draft I've endeavoured to mould a team that oozes class and style and with the left-backs being snapped up fast, I feel it's time to act so I've gone for one of the classiest left-backs available in the game and someone I feel has been surprisingly overlooked by a few people, yes I'm talking about the elegant but combative character that is...Gabriel Heinze!

Heinze may have only been at United for three seasons, one of which was marred by a long lay-off due to an injury, but there's no doubt he made a very substantial impact in his time in the Premiership. In fact, he won over United fans to such an extent that in his first season at the club he was named United's Player of the Year by the supporters, beating out Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo no less in the process.

It's not hard to see why Heinze won so many admirers as he was in many ways like several players rolled into one. When he had the ball he was cool and collected, eager to get forward and aid the attack. When he hadnt got the ball however he became a determined and ferocious competitor, harrying his opponents and chasing them down with a phenomenal workrate. Before there was Tevez it was Heinze who heard Old Trafford bellow out the chant, "Argentina! Argentina!" Here's a nice vid featuring comments from his United teammates on his qualities:

Unfortunately for Heinze his injury woes curtailed his chances of first-team action as when he returned from his long lay-off he found he had stiff competition from the great Patrice Evra who had made the left-back spot his own. This led him to demand a move away and he attempted a controversial switch to Liverpool which never came to pass as he wound up in Madrid.

As a United fan while his acrimonious departure disappointed me, I still remember fondly his displays for the club. While some might like to argue the point that Heinze hasn't played as many games as other left-backs who have been picked, I would say to that ask any neutral for their thoughts on Heinze's time in the Premiership and I wager most would end up lavishing praise on him. He might not have been around as long as others have but I believe his overall impact and the memory and legacy he left ranks up there with some of the best left-backs picked in the game.

I feel Heinze will fit in well with the rest of my team as his class, tenacity and spirit will serve me well down the left flank both offensively and defensively and he should be able to form a good understanding with my other defenders.

My team thus far:

Defoe

Bergkamp

X
    Petit
    Carrick
    Robben

Heinze----Ferdinand----Brown
    X

Van Der Sar

Pick 8: Wes Brown (CB/RB)
    Pick 9: Gabriel Heinze (LB)

I've flipped a few times on this pick but I have decided to finish off my attacking force with a striker with real pace and a good finisher. My next pick is Gabriel Agbonlahor

Gabriel%20Agbonlahor.jpg

Always had blistering pace but could be brushed aside too easily. This season though he is much stronger and play up front as a target man, which he has had to do with Carew injured.

With Cantona and Solano sliding in passes to use his pace he will run amok up front.

Agbonlahor----Cantona
    Merson----Ince----Sherwood----Solano
    Silviniho----x
    Keown
    x
    Martyn

Ok I've spent the last hour thinking about this one and imo I've picked the best available player for the position.

Taking his place at right back is Warren Barton.

barton_keegan.jpg

For me a good full back should be a solid defender while also offering something in attack and that's exactly what Warren Barton will bring to my side.

Started his career at Wimbledon and was a star, becoming a key figure in the side that avoided relegation against the odds. His displays were so good that in 1995 Newcastle forked out a British record fee for a defender of £4million. The move coincided with a call up to the England squad and for the next 18 months or so he was a key figure in the Newcastle team that played some of the best football the league has seen.

In 2001 he moved on to Derby before returning to Wimbledon briefly in 2004.

Barton gets the nod for his performaces around 1995 and 96, and having been a team mate of Ferdinand's at Newcastle, I will be hoping that they can link up and add a few goals to the side.

bfg.jpg

Team -

Seaman

Barton
    Carvalho
    Southgate
    xxxx

Dacourt

Sinclair
    Berkovic
    xxxx

Collymore
    Ferdinand

Don't have much time - thought it would be another few days before my pick. Don't know if i'll be back to get my pick in before the 12hours are up. So i'm gonna make a quick pick now. To be honest, I am happy enough with my pick - i need a left back, and he has been a top performer in this position for Everton over the last few seasons. A goalscorer too, which is always nice to have at the back.

I give you my LB pick - Joleen Lescott.

MICHAELDORN.jpg

A top player and a top performer over the last 2 or 3 seasons.

I should pick a central midfielder but there's no one good left that i want to pick and with the amount of left and right backs going recently, i think i'll just finish off my defence.

Steve Clarke was a reliable right back, he never made any mistakes.He held down the right back spot for ages at Chelsea.

He stayed at Chelsea until 1998, making 421 appearances (the 5th highest in the club's history) and winning the club's Player of the Year award in 1994. He was a part of the Chelsea sides which won the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winner's Cup in the late 1990s. The Cup Winners' Cup final was Clarke's final appearance for the club. In 2005 he was voted into Chelsea's centenary XI, occupying the right-back berth.

He was liked and respected enough to get a job in coaching at Chelsea too and he hasn't done half bad.

Couldn't find a small enough picture of him playing so had to pick one of him as a coach
    1546741508-soccer-barclays-premier-league-chelsea-v-fulham-stamford-bridge.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement