Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Picks Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Another Maverick to complete my "Famous Four" attacking line-up. Can play anywhere across the front but will line up on the right hand side for me. Exceptional technique and an eye for a goal I give you Benito Carbone

carb2.jpg

Carbone signed for Sheffield Wednesday in 1996 and quickly established himself as a fans favourite scoring 25 goals in 96 games for the club. A contract dispute saw him leave the club and join Aston Villa for the 99-2000 season. Deployed on the wing he scored 4 goals in 25 games before moving to Bradford a year later. Often called a mercenary for his high wages at Bradford he won over the Bradford faithful with some memorable performances and some vital goals. After their relagation he moved on to Derby and Middlesborough without ever excelling.

carsyd1.jpg

At this stage of the draft I think Carbone is probably the best attacking option on the right hand side, if there's better I'm struggling to think of it. I think he definitely suits the team set up I'm going for and combined with RVP behind my front two he has the guile, craft and ability to unlock defences and chip in with some goals himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I complete my central defence with John Scales.

1288516.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A618C2C8CB3F95BE1C9930FDCFC4C15FBB

Played a key part in one of the meanest defences in the league for Roy Evan's Liverpool, after making a name at Wimbledon. He is both a great reader of the game and also comfortable on the ball. He shouldn't be too shabby alongside LeBouef at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This is the hardest pick I’ve had to make yet. With the amount of left-backs drafted this round, I feel like I should snap up one of the few remaining on my short list or I could be buggered. However, I feel I’m long overdue drafting a combative midfielder to provide a bit more steel to the spine of my team. To that end, I pick Scott Parker.

parker_g.jpg

Scott Parker has moved quite a lot for someone his age and quality. He was the linchpin of a Charlton side that was never far off European qualification season after season, which attracted Claudio Ranieri who signed him for Chelsea in 2004. His time at Chelsea was limited, because he was competing directly with Claude Makelele, who was pretty much the best in the world in that role at the time. Despite a lack of first-team opportunities, he went on to win the PFA Young Player of the Year award (mostly in recognition of his early season performances with Charlton before his January transfer). A broken metatarsal and the arrival of more central midfielders to Chelsea eventually led to his move to Newcastle, where he would go on to captain the side. In 2007 he moved from Newcastle to West Ham where he has become central to an increasingly solid Hammers defensive unit, as evidenced by a man of the match display against his former club Chelsea last Sunday.

Newcastle fans in particular will remember Parker’s display in a victory over Arsenal in 2005, where a collision with Jens Lehmann left him missing a couple of teeth. He stayed on to put in an immense shift, literally running himself into the ground until he eventually had to be carried off. This epitomises what I want to bring to my midfield.

_41474234_parker2_ap416.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Marian Parhars is my next pick. A hero for Southamton from 1998 to 2005. He scored 43 times in his saints career. He was the first Latvian to play in the premier league.

250px-Marians_Pahars.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Seeing as Eirebear said I could go ahead I'll pick the Niemi Jasskaliened prototype, Swedish player of the year in 2000 Magnus Hedman

_1023517_hedman300.jpg

In a bit of a rush bit in my opinion, he was the reason Coventry managed to stay in the premiership as long as they did and was my favourite keeper when i started watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

The last couple of picks were always going to be the hardest, but I think I've been lucky in that respect so far. My next pick fills in the troubled left side of my midfield, historically there haven't been a huge amount of natural wingers on the left hand side that have set the premier league alight. With the obvious exception of Giggs there just haven't been that many superstars on that side.

So what you're looking for is someone who is consistent, who provides a threat through their link-up play as well as their work rate. Looking at the players that have already been picked there are 2, and maybe a third, players that I think could do a really good job on the left side of midfield for the teams in this draft. None of them are superstars in and of themselves but each offers a genuine threat as part of a good team.

Ultimately I made my choice based on the player that has delivered the most in terms of work rate on the defensive side as well as an attacking threat. With 252 appearances to date and 76 assists in those games I think this pick really offers me an outlet down the left hand side. That he has also scored 39 goals (as of 3.10 this afternoon ;)) is a welcome addition to my attacking line-up.

My next pick is Steed Malbranque

MalbranqueG1808_468x374.jpg

Team so far:

Reina

-???
    Carragher
    ????
    Unsworth

-Beckham----Butt
    Boateng
    Malbranque

Cole
    Heskey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think i might regret letting my left winger slot go til the next round but i think this guy is strong enough to cover any potential weakness on my left side.

A club record for a teenager when he signed for Chelsea in 1997. Still holds the record of the youngest player ever in the Champions League. Fought with Graeme LeSaux, an established England international for his place at left back. Gentle-Folk, im delighted to introduce this man into my starting 11.

babayaro_celestine.jpg
    Celestine Babayaro

A very attacking fullback who i believe can provide width to my left side for when my left winger cuts inside(Hopefully i get the player i want). Played over 200 times for Chelsea between 1997 and 2005 and but for Romans Millions he would probably still be first choice at the Bridge. An FA Cup winner in 2000.
    When he realised his time was up at Chelsea he moved on to Newcastle and established himself as the first choice left back at St. James' Park.

As ive already said, i see Baba as the best attacking left back left in the draft and i think he is a great addition to my already solid team. His pace will certainly help cover any lack of pace in the centre. He will constantly bomb forward to provide an outlet on the left. I plan on having a similar right back to ensure width on my team.

Given

-???
    Hyypia
    Mark Wright
    Babayaro

-Anderton----Rob Lee
    Tugay
    ???

Sheringham
    Yakubu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Andy Hinchcliffe

_1896444_hinchy300.jpg

Hinchcliffe enjoyed a very solid career at left back, contributing very well in the premiership for Everton and Sheffield Wed. Tough, pacy and with an excellent left foot well used at set pieces he was unlucky not to get more England caps imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Lee Sharpe 193 appearances for United, i think the best english left mid left that i could get. Top player at the top of his game, not as good as Giggs, but few are. Another premiership winner in my team, and another member of the mid 90's united team that dominated the premiership. a great addition to my squad.

dont have alot of time to do a write up, but basically one of the better left mids in the premiership when he played, struggled with injury. hugely creative, and part of one of the best teams to impact on the premiership.

team:

GK: flowers
    LB: ashley cole
    RB: __________?
    CB: Bruce
    CB: Pallister
    RM: Aaron Lennon
    LM: Lee Sharpe
    CM: David batty
    CM Jamie redknapp
    ST: ___________?
    ST: Darren Bent

Creative, and goals coming from all over!
    And the most solid and most successful premiership defencive partnerships ever. go team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

In Barcelona till the 26th, proper write up later, Ronny Johnsen is slotting in beside John Terry at centre half.

Dudek
    Pearce Terry Johnsen
    ---Gilberto
    Di Matteo
    ----Sparky
    Saha.
    Yeboah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

stuck redoing college work so will do a write up later on.

My next pick is Morten Gamst Pederson

morten_gamst_pedersen.jpg

Phillips

Rooney

Pederson---Fabregas---Flamini--- X

Riise---Hreidarasson--- X ---- G. Kelly

Cech

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

With 130 Premier League games for liverpool and 45 Premier League goals in that time, He may have been winding down his career but Ian Rush was still a great goalscorer.
    I won't quote his stats leading up to that but as they are more or less irrellivant to this draft, but the fact that he was 31 the year the premiership started speaks volumns about just how good he was, and my god he was good.
    Some will say that someone who never played in the premier league until they were 31 might make this a bad pick but the other side of that is that playing for liverpool for 4 years in the premiership and still posting those kind of stats is just irrefutable proof of a footballing genius.
    Himself and Klinsmann complete my early 90's wonder strike force.

MoustacheMoustacheMoustacheMoustacheMoustacheMoustacheMoustache

_44455008_ian_rush_pa_203.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Round 9 pick 20
    I'm happy to have the flying dutchman Bryan Roy on the wing to complete my midfield.

ROY_Bryan_19940910_GH_R.jpg

I fear that Roy will not be given the credit he deserves. In his first season with Forest, their first in the premier league. Notts forest finished third, qualifying for the uefa cup.

Roy was an out and out speedster with good skill complimenting his pace excellently.

With himself and Young providing pace, trickery and skill out wide I think this will either a) leave space for Gerard to work in the middle or b) give one on one opportunities with full backs, ideal opportunities which both men would be able to exploit.

I think Roy provides for my time to have one of the best midfielders in the draft, one which is very aggressive and attacking in its nature that will give opposition managers headaches when playing against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Upson0112GETTY_468x432.jpg

I think Upson is a player who represents good value at this stage of the draw.
    I'm pretty sure Arsenal fans would welcome him back and is another of the players Wegner should not have got rid of.

With him and Woodgate in centre it's pretty no nonsense central paring that even Jeff would be being proud of.

He has recently being drafted back into the England Squad by Capello and has put in some impressive performances for West Ham.

TheoWalcottES_468x579.jpg

Starting his 3rd season with Arsenal, it's a shame he got injured as he was really taking off last season.

I want an attacking team and pacey wingers in my mind there is none better then this little bastard for this stage. We all remember him for that goal against Liverpool last season and I think he has proven himself enough to be of real premiership quality.

Team so far.

1. Chris Kirkland

3. Upson
    4. Evra
    5. Woodgate
    6. Ballack.
    7. Walcott
    8. Essien
    9. Owen
    10. Ade
    11. Overmars.

• Advertisement

to complete my outfield 10

I had a very hard choice for myself here - if I had not of picked Ian harte and had of picked someone who can play centrally I would of picked another striker to go 3-4-3.
    But I did pick Ian Harte and so I feel I really must pick a good solid right back, one who I would consider among the top 5/6 to have played in the premiership, he never had a bad game, I'm not sure if he's ever made a mistake in football, the guy was a legend and so very sadly had his career cut short by a virus called Guillain-Barré syndrome.
    But he will be remembered for his performances that saw him in 4 seasons become a huge favourite at Liverpool.

150704-babbel_11.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Markus Babbel.

Babbel - Campbell - Agger - Harte
    SWP - Nolan - Barry - Pires
    Klinsmann-Rush

I was hoping to get Upson in this pick but either way who i chose last pick i was going to miss out this round so to complete my midfield I've gone for David Bentley.

davidbentley.jpg

Phillips

Rooney
    Pederson
    Bentley
    Fabregas---Flamini

Riise---Hreidarasson--- X ---- G. Kelly

Cech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Having mistakenly thought i had complete my back line with Michael Ball in the last round, i catch up with this round and actually complete my defence this time.

_1770234_weir150.jpg

The Maldini of Scotland, former captain of Everton under both Walter Smith and Davie Moyes, fantastic reader of the game and even now one of the most intelligent defenders i have watched in terms of his ability to read a game.

Davie Weir

team so far

Niemi

Ball
    Adams----Weir
    Petrescu

CM
    Cahill

LW
    Waddle

Crouch
    Wright

Round 10 Pick 4

I'm delighted to have this man between the sticks, I believe he is one of the best goalkeepers to have graced the premiership and Uefa back me up on that.

To play in the number 1 jersey I have picked Jens Lehmann.

_42177685_football_416.jpg

The 6ft3in German played 147 times for Arsenal. In 2003-04 he played every game of Arsenal's historic unbeaten season.

Every fan of the game will no doubt remember Lehmann's best season with the gunners, that of 2006-2006, during the season he was phenomenal.
    During their run in the Champions league he broke the record for the most consecutive clean sheets(10), that run formed the bulk of an 853-minute spell without conceding a goal. Undoubtedly an amazing feat.
    During that year he won champions league goalkeeper of the year, Uefa club goalkeeper of the year and also the Fifa world cup player of the year.

Just check out what this fine athlete can do.

Lehmann
    Lauren--McGrath
    LeSaux
    Roy---Gerard--Barnes--Young
    Tevez

Drogba

Paul Parker!!

5 years at united, 3-4 in the premiership, 2 premiership medals, 1 fa cup, 1 league cup... yea, i'll take that for a 10th round pic!

• Advertisement

Lee Bowyer completes my midfield, vital part of David OLearys Leeds team in the late 90s, voted Leeds player of the year in 98-99 and 00-01. Had his off field problems but there arent as many top class players with his premiership experience left.

Dudek
    Pearce Terry Johnsen
    ---Gilberto
    Bowyer
    Di Matteo
    ----Sparky
    Saha.
    Yeboah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Youri Djorkaeff

_39833643_youri300gt.jpg

Youri's best days were behind him by the time he got to Bolton. However, the two years he spent with Bolton proved to be a wonderful footnote to an amazing career.

It is important that we talk about his time at Bolton and put to one side the player he was at Inter or Kaiserslauten when he started for an awesome French side and played an integral part in the 98WC and 00EC successes.

At Bolton, he had lost much of his pace and he relied on his intelligence and technique to contribute - managing to link play and cut defenses despite his declining physical tools. He managed 20 goals in 75 league appearances also. I am going to play him ahead of Vieira who will be well able to cover for him. Youri having a free license to stay in an advanced role will give me a lot of guile and invention and - when combined with the quality I have out wide - should be tough to stop.

This addition also helps with the character of my team. Which is a consideration given that I have Kewell and Ginola. By the time Youri got to Bolton he was a positive influence both on and off the field - the longevity of a scandal free career providing an example of what it takes to play at the top (and win stuff!) well into your thirties.

So one of two things has happened here, either I'm very lucky or I'm putting together one of the poorer teams in the competition...time will tell I suppose. Once again I'm in the great position of having watched a full round of picks go by without my first choice pick disappearing. The only time my first choice pick has disappeared in this draft was when Trevor Sinclair was swiped out from underneath me.

For my next pick I've chosen someone who is the epitome of versatility. When he made his debut for Newcastle United he was the youngest player ever to pull on a jersey for them. Over the course of the next 7 years he played in every position except goalkeeper for the magpies, becoming a real crowd favourite chipping in with 11 goals and 11 assists along the way. He then moved to Aston Villa where he spent two seasons before moving to Everton. Although he had now established himself as an uncompromising defender he was initially deployed as an attacker in an Everton team decimated by injuries. His final move in the premiership saw him sign for WBA in the '05/'06 season.

Despite his versatility he was most often deployed as either a right-back or centre-half and while he wasn't the fastest player in the world he could read a game brilliantly and often found himself in the right position to make a vital interception. With David Beckham in front of him he's the perfect defender to have in my team, another rock to add to a very solid defence.

He's currently playing with Sheff Wed, when he joined them they had lost their previous 5 games in a row. In their next 11 games they lost 1, won 6 and drew 4 showing his immediate influence on the team and shoring up their back line.

My next pick is Steve Watson, 351 premier league appearances, 26 goals & 32 assists. here he is doing what he does best, breaking down an opposition attack.

_40940022_stelioswatsonpa300.jpg

For my 10th pick i am delighted to complete my midfield with this man. Bought in August 2004 for £6m. With 77 premiership games and 18 goals to go with his 44 cup games and 12 goals he proved to be a good signing for Rafa Benitez and Liverpool, i present to you

Luis Javier García Sanz
    xxxgalLuisGarcia_laurencegr.jpg

I think Little Luis will fit in perfect with my team, and in picking him it leaves me with a massive choice of formations to play as he can fill in on the left wing, right wing and in the hole behind the strikers. A man who can change a game with just one touch of the ball is a big asset to have in any team and Luis certainly had this ability. Often criticised for not getting involved in games and being wasteful in possession, when he was on form he was on of the best players in the Liverpool team that won the Champions League in 2005. Will be remembered forever by Liverpool fans for his goals against Chelsea and Juventus and of course against Everton in the Premiership.

Also kicked Roy Keane out of the Premiership ;)

Team so Far:

Given

Babayaro
    Hyypia----Mark Wright
    ????

Tugay
    Rob Lee

Anderton
    Luis Garcia

Sheringham
    Yakubu

Although he arrived in England in the twilight of his career, my tenth pick is one of the classiest players never to have played for the top 4 and averages just under a goal every 2 games

_38776869_jmboksic300.jpg
    Alen Boksic

Although he's a bit lazy Boksic was blessed with a phenomenal first touch and a wonderful shot. Technically fantastic he had lost some of his pace and did have injury problems but when he played he was great. His class didn't really fit the Middlesbrough squad yet he still delivered.Has the consistency in his finishing and the class to deliver on the inevitable chances that my wingers will create .Was the highest paid premiership player when he signed which shows how highly he was thought off. Also, if this story is true he's also a legend
    During his time at the Riverside a story about Boksic circulated around Teesside. In a classic Armani suit-and bovver-boots combination, the ex- Juventus star found himself partnered up front by Noel Whelan. He was not impressed. And who can blame him? Whelan was a hard worker, a bustler, but he carried all the attacking threat of Tupperware. At one point during his Boro career he had scored more goals in his own net than he had in the opposition's. Boksic may have been so slothful he appeared to be teetering permanently on the cusp of hibernation, but he had standards.

According to the story, one Monday, after a particularly inept display by the former Leeds target man, Boksic went in to see the Boro secretary. "What does Whelan earn per week?" he demanded. The secretary told him. "And how long does he have left on his contract?" The secretary told him and the striker stalked out. The next day he returned, waving a cheque.

"This is the money Whelan will earn during the rest of his time here. Give it to him now," he commanded , "and tell him to **** off ."

Hedman

--Neville----King
    Dunne
    Bridge

x
    Wise

-C. Ronaldo---Okocha----J.Cole

Boksic

My midfield is maybe looking a little lightweight, so lets add some bite in their.

With the unfortunate label of nbeing the most booked player in the premiership, although he was never actually sent off untill 2006, and even that was a little controversial.

A real ballwinning, battling all action midfielder, a never say die attitude and a real passion for the game.

Probably the panto villain of the premiership, but someone who will always give 110%

Robbie Savage
    RobbieSavage_590985.jpg

Niemi
    Ball
    Adams
    Weir
    Petrescu

Savage

ML
    Cahill
    Waddle

Wright
    Crouch

SNS1465A_94112a.jpg

Best known for his time at West Ham, with an ultimately forgettable year at Liverpool in between, Julian Dicks earned himself the nickname ‘The Terminator’ because of his tough tackling, aggressive style of play. As a bonus, Dicks was not goal shy, finishing as the Hammers’ top scorer in 1996 with 10 goals (a lot of penalties, granted). The following year he helped keep West Ham in the Premiership, being awarded the club’s player of the season (his second successive accolade).

After that season, injuries began to take their toll and Dicks’ best days were behind him. In total, he made 315 appearances for West Ham, scoring 64 goals and leaving plenty of bruised players in his wake.

Team:

James

Berg
    Stam
    Ehiogu
    Dicks

Wiltord
    Parker---Poyet
    Giggs----

Berbatov----???

Merry Christmas Soccer.

Goodnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

stephen_carr.jpg

Stephen Carr

With a narrow midfield, it is important for my full-backs to get forward. There were few better attacking full-backs in the Premiership than Ireland's own Stephen Carr. He was the rarest of things - a decent Newcastle defender. His career was derailed a little bit by injuries, but there's no question that on his day, he could hold his own with any in his position.

Team so far:

Sullivan
    Carr----LeBouef-Scales----x
    ---McAllister-Mascherano
    --Le Tiss-Juninho-Rosisky
    Hasselbaink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Was delighted to have got so close to my pick and Steven Carr still being available but alas. So instead I'll pick another right back and one who I have to admit I'd forgotten about until I had to do some searching which is suprising considering he's had a pretty distinguished career in the premiership.

Joined Chelsea in 1999 and he played 130 games for the club in 5 years, chipping in with 4 goals.

He moved on to Birmingham then and after a successful relegation scrap in his first year unfortunately for him the Brum were relegated the next year despite his best efforts. He played 56 games in the blue jersey

Moved back to France for a year but returned with Wigan in 2007 and was made club captain as Wigan played some good football on the way to a relatively easy survival in the Prem.

With 22 caps for Holland to his name also he was still strutting his stuff in last summers Euro 2008 tournament when he became the 1st Wigan player ever to play in a major international tournament.

I give you Mario Melchiot. A fine addition to my team

1372069642-soccer-barclays-premier-league-wigan-athletic-v-bolton-wanderers-jjb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I need a box-to-box midfielder to help out in the middle.A player whose high energy will allow him to cover the wings,help out the dense and make some surging runs forward to help the attack.I think a player perfect for this is Jermaine Jenas.

He's a former PFA Young player of the year and is an England international, so he aint half bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Finishing off my defence with the addition of Pacal Chimbonda to the team - slotting into defence with Lescott, Distin and Toure.

sns2576aa682_424814a.jpg

Voted right back of the year in his debut season in the premiership with Wigan, ahead of the likes of Neville and Finnan. Performed well for Wigan, and Spurs when called upon, notably against Chelsea where he played the match with damaged knee ligments resulting from a tackle early in the game. Singled out by Jol after the match as an example of the team spirit that had got them the win that day.

Hasn't done brilliantly at Sunderland, but I think he has shown more than enough over his premiership career to justify his inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ok I've been looking at my team to suss out any weaknesses and our clear lack of a dead ball specialist could prove costly. However with this pick I feel I am addressing both that issue and my left back problem. Taking his place in the side is Christian Ziege -

sp5.jpg

Having first made his name at Bayern Munich and AC Milan, Ziege came to the Premiership in 1999 when he joined Middlesbrough. 6 goals in 29 games sparked a £5.5 million move to Liverpool where he won the League Cup and Uefa Cup in 2001. He later moved to Tottenham and managed 7 goals in 47 appearances over 3 years.

Ziege was a classy player renowned for having a fierce left foot and was lethal from dead balls. I think his deliveries from the left could provide excellent ammunition for Les Ferdinand and his attacking runs perfectly compliment Warren Barton on the opposite side.

9 goals in 72 internationals,a Euro 96 winners' medal and a World Cup runners' up medal lends weight to my opinion that he could perform at the highest level.

Team -

Seaman

Barton
    Southgate
    Carvalho
    Ziege

Dacourt

Sinclair
    Berkovic
    xxxx

Ferdinand
    Collymore

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

In a rush so I will just throw up my pick. I need a defensive midfielder so my pick is Chelsea man Eddie Newton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

No time for a big write up but my next pick is Phillipe albert

3029917949_93d1768bdf.jpg?v=0

Great coming out with the ball and his audacious chip over Schmechiel in that famous 5-0 win was just magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

B is for Boudewijn Zenden!

_42357638_barton_pa300.jpg

I will do a proper write-up later folks when my brain is not as tired from the last one. :rolleyes: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I need a left sided midfielder and theres none better that Jason Wilcox. Wilcox came up through the ranks at Blackburn who he joined as a 16 year old. Wilcox was an outstanding left sided midfielder and in my opinion the best one ever to play for Blacburn Rovers and thats ahead of Damien Duff and Morten Gamst Pederson who have followed in his footsteps. Jason had great vision and could cross the ball superbly, he was also a good defender when needed there, but his link up play was probably what made him outstanding to me. So many times I seen him play 1-2's with Sherwood and set an attack up from nothing. Jason played 271 times for Blackburn during our great premiership campaigns and was a critical part of our Premier League winning side. He moved on to Leeds United in 1999 and established himself on the left side there also, actually displacing Harry Kewell from that spot during Leeds run in the Uefa Cup and Champions League in 99 and 2000. He stayed with Leeds till 2004 and then moved on a free to Leicester where things did not go well for him and after injury he went on loan to Blackpool and then retired shortly after joining them full time.

As usual with players who didn't play for Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea, theres no youtube of him. Of course like some of my other picks theres a load of guys in this thing that won't remember him.

At the end of the day though, I remember players from the start of the Premier League and throughout its history and I have to pick the best available. Believe me when I say to the younger people in this draft that if he was playing today he would have been picked in the first four rounds.

1918849.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A675CF14360B73C6699930FDCFC4C15FBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My penultimate pick is Alan Stubbs.

stubbs.jpg

This was a tough pick. There are 3 or 4 centre back's left who i really rate, but for me Stubbs is the best value.

He started his career at Bolton for whom he made over 200 league appearances, captaining them in the 1995 League Cup Final.

He had a hugely succesful spell with Everton from 01 until 05 where he was a defensive rock in an ever improving team. He was hugely important during their CL qualification season in 2005.

My team so far:

X

Jones
    Henchoz
    Stubbs
    Beresford

McManaman----Hamann
    Gravesen
    Duff

Keane
    Henry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Nick Barmby - write up to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

My next pick is a controversial one to some I'm sure.

José Antonio Reyes

_41601814_ars2.jpg&usg=AFQjCNFIrLOdBchmxXKsgTEcjpmBubzdcg

Reyes signed for Arsenal in the 2003/2004 season and is one of the only players left from the Invincibles team. While often played as a centre forward alongside Henry he is equally adept at playing on the left wing, which is where I'll be placing him.
    He's got pace, stregth and a whopper shot. I, like most Arsenal fans, was very disappointed to see him go so early, however if he was as hoomesick as it was made out it was right for him to go. I remember watching him in the 04/05 pre-season and thinking him and Henry were going to rip defences apart, he never really reached that potential in the league but did score some very very important goals for us.
    Also between him and Bullard I have set pieces from either side fairly sorted now :)

• Advertisement

Up to my eyes with work the last few days, I'm just sticking this player in

BacarySagnaPA_468x325.jpg

* Voted France's best right-sided defender in the 2006–07
    * French Ligue 1's Team of the Year 2006–07
    * Member of PFA Team of the Year: 2007–08.
    * Voted Premier League's best right-back in the 2007-08 season

In a real rush today as i have to go in about 10 minutes

My final pick at centre back is Joeseph Yobo.

YO.jpg

He is big, strong and athletic and one of the best centre back's left in the draft in my opinion. My team is now complete and all thats left to do is to decide on tactics and my final formation

Right I somehow was skipped :P but anyway

Shaking it up with Shaka.

Shaka Hislop as my goalie, is a quality call.

Replaced at newcastle by shay given is nothing to be embarresed bout and winning the Hammer of the Year award with West Ham in his first season there, he had several excellent seasons in the Prem and he may even get a full write up later.

Shaka%20HISLOP.jpg

To complete my line up I choose Craig Short.

I'm heading away for the next two days so will have to do a write up when I get back.

Lehmann
    --Lauren----McGrath--Short----Le Saux---
    Roy----gerard
    Barnes-Young
    Tevez

drogba

to complete my front line i was toying with 3-4 different players but went with the stats, my final pick is tony cottee, not so much for his west ham days but his time at everton in the premiership was pretty good, but especially his time at leicester, when he was in a weak team but averaged 1 goal per less than 3 games. he's a goalscoring goalscorer. Again, much like his strike partner here, not a particularly beautiful player, but very effective. on a goals per game basis i think i've done well with my strikers.

final team:

GK: Tim Flowers (1)
    LB: Ashley Cole (2)
    RB: Paul Parker (2)
    CB: Steve Bruce (3)
    CB: Gary Pallister (4)
    RM: Aaron Lennon
    LM: Lee Sharpe (3)
    CM: Jamie Redknapp
    CM: David Batty (1)
    ST: Tony Cottee
    ST: Darren Bent
    • 16 premiership medals, pretty decent impact to be fair to my all english ensemble!
    • Strikers getting a goal every other game (1 in 2, darren bent) or a bit below (1 in 3, tony cottee) - both at weaker clubs shows their goalscoring nature.
    • Aaron Lennon and Jamie Redknapp, my other 2 non league winning contributions are 2 of the more creative and exciting players - Lennon finishing 3rd behind Fabregas and Ronaldo twice for young player of the year, and is only 21, and Redknapp has 11 years at liverpool and was quality throughout.
    • I have 3 of the Man United back line that started their premiership dominance, and i've replaced dennis irwin with (love him or hate him) ashley cole, who is, as much as i dont like it, brilliant.
    • Midfield has a creative player, redknapp, and a defensive ball winner, batty.
    • On the wings i have pace and creativity,i'll take that supply for my 2 goalscorers.

Luke Young slots in at right back to complete my line up, 12 years of premiership experience and capped for England, dubbed Mr Consistent by Charlton fans.

A93EE78B-FFD2-5A77-851AB4AC357035B8.jpg

Dudek
    Pearce-- Terry (c) ---Johnsen
    L Young
    Gilberto
    Bowyer
    Di Matteo
    Sparky
    Saha.
    Yeboah

A solid defence as was needed to go with a central 4-3-3 formation but theres still goals coming from all over the pitch.

• Advertisement

To complete my 11 i decided to leave the last position as the one most people see as the weakest link on the field. Im delighted to be able to pick a young England international to fill this position.

Glen Johnson
    glen%20johnson%20horror%20hair.jpg

Along with having the best afro in Premiership history he is the holder of 10 England caps. He came through the West Ham youth team, would probably still be there and have a lot more England caps had they not been relegated in 2004. But when Romans millions came calling, Glen made the move across London to Chelsea as the first signing of the Abramovich era. When the amount of players in his position became too much he moved onto Portsmouth initially on loan and then permanently for the fee for £4m.

A very attacking fullback who will compliment my left back perfectly. With the 2 of them bombing on it will ensure there are a lot of crosses going into my front two. Also ensures i can switch to a 3-5-2 formation if i need to. Johnson is more than adequate playing in the centre.

Given

Babayaro
    Hyypia----Mark Wright
    Glen Johnson

Tugay
    Rob Lee

Anderton
    Luis Garcia

Sheringham
    Yakubu

Finishing off my team is a former Champion's League winner who's CV includes Ajax, Barca, Inter, AC and Juve and is one of the 100 greatest living players.

Edgar_Davids_76104b.jpg
    Edgar Davids

Although people will obviously claim that Davids was past his best when he played for Spurs, he was the driving force behind the team that lost a Champion's League place to dodgy catering in which he played 77% of his games in the Premiership. One of the classiest defensive midfielders around, he hadn't lost much of a physichal edge and was still a master of distribution and tackling. Will join Dennis Wise at the heart of my midfield

Hedman

Neville---King---Dunne---Bridge

Davids
    Wise(c)

Okocha

Ronaldo
    J.Cole

Boksic

Still on vacation so a quick pick with a write up to follow...

Oyvind Leonhardsen completes my team. 186 appearances with a goal and an assist every 6 games on average during that time is a great return from a midfield player, gives me a little bit of guile going forward to supplement a defence that I believe is strong enough as it is.
    LEONHARDSEN_O_19990926_MM_R.jpg

I may be completely missing him somewhere in the thread, but im kind of surprised that he hasnt been picked yet.

I dont have time for a proper write up at the minute but my last pick is Laurent Robert

robertnew2wf1.jpg

Niemi

Petrescu
    Adams
    Weir
    Ball

Savage

Robert
    Cahill
    Waddle

Crouch
    Wright

FabrizioRavanelli_1112739.jpg

The final piece of my puzzle is The White Feather, Fabrizio Ravanelli.

I had my reservations about picking the brilliant but controversial Italian, because his time with both Middlesbrough and Derby was sometimes tumultuous; he was never afraid to speak his mind and was believed to have criticised 'Boro via the Italian press during his time there.

Still, there is no denying he was capable of some magic on the pitch (see the video below, which catalogues most of his 32 goals in his debut Middlesbrough season). He announced himself with a hat-trick against Liverpool on his Boro debut, and helped the team to two domestic finals that season. However, even players like Ravanelli and Juninho, Middlesbrough succumbed to relegation which signalled a move to France with Marseille. He returned to the Premiership with Derby a couple of seasons later, scoring 14 goals in a season in which they too suffered the drop. Despite his desire to stay with the Rams, Ravanelli was part of a group of high earners that were forced to leave the club as they prepared for life in the old Division 1. It's a shame that he never got the chance to play for a top Premiership club battling for honours, because he proved with Juventus (where he won the Champion's League) that he's capable at playing at the highest level.

A lot of what we do in this draft is guess work, regarding what players would do well with who etc. I think Ravanelli and Berbatov would be an awesome partnership. Both are incredibly skillful players, who IMO would compliment each other very well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement