Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Picks Only

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Stig Inge Bjornebye

Solid defensively, with great technique and a genuine threat down the flank, I'm delighted to finish my team with the former Liverpool left-back.

He helped form one of the meanest Premiership defenses, and made it into the PFA team of the year in 96/97, which is no small achievement, considering his rivals in the position at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Ryan Nelsen to finish my team.

Blackburn captain who helped turn a leaky defence into one of the tighest defences in the league(up until this season anyway!)

0,,10303~3354965,00.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ian Taylor

I need a high energy midfielder to complete my team.I believe that Ian Taylor is the best left for this position.He was a good defensive midfielder who in his early years was a box-to-box midfielder.He never gave up and was never afraid going into a tackle.His attitude on the pitch made him a fan favourite at Villa Park.

680F925D-E02B-5105-8F2E75F1A6A97EAD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Finishing off my team with this guy:

win403_gallery__600x347.jpg

Tim Howard is my keeper.

Voted best keeper in the premiership in his debut season with United, and showed real promise with some fantastic saves and great shot stopping. I'll not try to hide the fact his United career ended badly, due to a lack of confidence in himself following being dropped for Carrol and his in/out of the team rotation Fergie put himself and Carrol through. However, I do think his time at Everton has shown him to be a very good keeper. Maybe not world class, but at this stage of the draft i still reckon he is an excellent pick, and not one to be considered all that poor - certainly don't think he makes my team any weaker, and is a damed solid pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Decided to complete my team with the addition of a flying winger who has around 400 professional league games under his belt - Keith Gillespie.

gilly1.jpg

Gillespie was part of the golden generation at Manchester United in the early 90s so had a great pedigree. However with Andrei Kanchelskis ahead of him he struggled for game time at Old Trafford so joined Newcastle as part of Andy Cole deal in 1995.

Under Keegan he played some superb football as part of a free flowing team and finished runner up in the league twice as well as the FA Cup. He also enjoyed Champions League and Uefa Cup football.

After three and a half years at the Tyneside club he moved to Blackburn Rovers for 5 seasons and then on to Leicester City. He was part of the Sheffield United side which gained promotion to the top flight in 2006.

He currently has over 80 caps for Northern Ireland.

I think at this stage he is a solid pick considering he played with Warrne Barton on the right hand side for a few seasons. He is a direct winger who can also defend and I see him as being able to provide adequate ammunition for Ferdinand in the box.

Team -

Seaman

Barton
    Southgate
    Carvalho
    Ziege

Dacourt

Gillespie
    Berkovic
    Sinclair

Ferdinand
    Collymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

My final pick, and i'm slightly shocked he's still available, is Thomas Sorensen.

_41351988_ast2.jpg

With well over 250 premier league appearances, Sorensen is a hugely experienced keeper, wonderful shot-stopper, and though, like any keeper, he makes mistakes, they are few and far between and he always makes up for it with his saves.
    I think this pick justifies me leaving my goalkeeper till last. He's great value at this late stage in my opinion. He's the final piece of my jigsaw:

Sorensen

Jones
    Stubbs
    Henchoz
    Beresford

McManaman
    Hamann
    Gravesen
    Duff

Keane
    Henry

I'm extremely pleased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Vedran Corluka

One of the best right back currently playing the Premiership, Corluka is the final part of my team. A solid defender and good passer of the ball.

corluka460.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My last pick is an outstanding right sided midfielder who I cannot believe was not picked up to now. An England international, who played for Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa and Portsmouth in the Premier League,

I give you Steve Stone.

Steve Stone was one of the reasons for Nottingham Forests great run in the Premier League through the nineties and along with Stan Collymore he drew the attention of bigger clubs immediately upon arriving in the Premier League. He played 229 times for Forest before they were relegated in 1999 and was immediately the subject of trasfer speculation involving all of the big clubs. He was signed by Aston Villa in for 5.5 million pounds, and one year later he was strongly linked to Manchester United but stayed with Villa. He played 90 times for Villa scoring twice and left them when Graham Taylor took over for the second time. He joined Portsmouth and was an integral part of their successful promotion to the Premier League. Stone played with them for a further two seasons and then at the age of 34 moved to Leeds United where injury shortened his career.
    He was capped for England 9 times scoring twice for them.

_44275553_stone_ap220.jpgstonelarge.jpg
    1207926.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A61F54B9DA19D065249930FDCFC4C15FBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"Geremi was an important person and somebody we we miss very much." - Jose Mourinho

_42330690_geremi300.jpg

I'm pretty sure this guy is available! I'm going to wrap up what I hope you'll agree is the classiest team in the draft (;)) with a player who is equally adept at playing right-wing but who will be used as a right-back in my team...Geremi!

I feel Geremi represents good value at this late stage. He's got several seasons under his belt with Middlesbrough, Chelsea and Newcastle, he's a good distributor of the ball and is a proven winner from his time with Real Madrid and Mourinho's Chelsea. I also like the fact he can provide competition for my set-pieces...

With Geremi just behind Robben on my right flank I think he will provide plenty of threat for other teams in the draft and will balance that out with solid defensive displays.

My team in full:

Defoe

Bergkamp

Zenden
    Petit
    Carrick
    Robben

Heinze----Ferdinand (c)----Brown
    Geremi

Van Der Sar

Pick 1: Dennis Bergkamp (FW)
    Pick 2: Rio Ferdinand (CB)
    Pick 3 Arjen Robben (LM/RM)
    Pick 4: Manu Petit (CM)
    Pick 5: Michael Carrick (CM)
    Pick 6: Edwin Van Der Sar (GK)
    Pick 7: Jermain Defoe (FW)
    Pick 8: Wes Brown (CB/RB)
    Pick 9: Gabriel Heinze (LB)
    Pick 10: Boudewijn Zenden (LM)
    Pick 11: Geremi (RB/RM)

That concludes my team selection, gentlemen. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Missed my pick as have been busy the last few days following the arrival of Wardie Jnr :D:D

To finish off my team I need a good solid right full so will go with David Bardsley

A converted midfielder, he moved to right full for QPR and was a great crosser going forward as well as an excellent defender.

With 2 good attacking threats on both wings they will have license to bomb forward with Sherwood holding the centre.

And there will be no one better to control the ball up front and slide passes into Gabby than Cantona.

Albert will be solid wth Keown alongside him and Martyn is a safe pair of hands in goal

Agbonlahor----Cantona

Merson----Ince----Sherwood----Solano

Silviniho---Albert
    Keown
    Bardsley

Martyn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Sorry guys for holding ye up. Thanks frisbee for waiting. I'll make it quick, my last pick is Kenny Cunningham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

THE FINAL PICK!

Ruel Fox

FOX_Ruel_19940409_SF_L.jpg

Ruel Fox was one of my favourite players to watch when growing up watching the Premier League. He was the definition of a good winger at the time, speedy, jinky and could go past a man and whip in a ball as well as anyone else.
    He started off with Norwich and really came good the year the Premiership started. He had two fantastic seasons with them before being snapped up by Kevin Keegan's Newcastle who described him as "the best player in his position in the country."
    However he left Newcastle after only one season and joined Spurs where he played regularly for five year, providing one of their main attacking threats. However he was linked with several clubs near the end and signed for WBA, who he helped to promotion to the EPL before leaving.
    C90925D7-E50E-E4DE-FBF276AADEE9CAC4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm very pleased to be able to introduce to you fine people of the soccer forum my Premiership draft write-up. Firstly I'd like to say I enjoyed the game as well as the spirit of the contest so credit to Lloyd for overseeing everything. Hopefully the good nature of the game will continue. OK then without further ado may I present to you F.C. (First Class) Athletic, a team I hope you'll agree is the classiest, most stylish team of the draft. ;)

3195094669_812c891a20.jpg?v=0

Team Formation:

Defoe

Bergkamp

Zenden
    Petit
    Carrick
    Robben

Heinze----Ferdinand (c)----Brown
    Geremi----

Van Der Sar

Right folks I'll break down my argument on why I feel my team is a worthy winner of the contest in three parts. Firstly, I'll explain my overall strategy and line of thinking, secondly I'll give a brief final explanation on why I picked the guys I did, and lastly, I'll give my overall assessment on the strengths and weaknesses of my team. By doing so I hope you'll be impressed with my efforts.

My strategy:

I enjoy good, attacking football as I'm sure you all do and I set out from the outset to mould a team that would have great passing and movement. I believed from the beginning that the core areas of all teams would be up front, central defence, central midfield and to a lesser extent on the wings. These are the areas where I feel more often than not games are won and lost.

I'll be brutally honest here - I think those people in the game who picked full backs and goalkeepers early on made a mistake. I don't see the benefit in choosing an outstanding full back or goalkeeper when, with a bit of patience, you could have gotten very good players in these areas later on. I felt confident I would get a good goalkeeper if I was patient. This turned out to be the case. I also feel I ended up with solid full-backs despite me picking them in the latter half of the draw.

I was keen to get myself a great, versatile winger early on who could play either flank as I believed this would give me greater scope later on when picking my second winger. For example, if you choose someone who works solely as a left winger you're forced later on choose a right-winger. However if like I did you go for a player like Robben who can work either flank (Duff was in my thoughts too some of you may recall), by adopting this strategy you are free to choose from a wider range of wingers from both flanks later on and you're not leaving yourself limited. I feel that was a smart strategy.

I think stategy-wise it was important to plan out the importance of not just the players you're thinking of, but also the positions themselves. I would argue I did well in this regard and I hope you'll agree!

Some final thoughts on my picks...

Pick 1: Dennis Bergkamp

3196134274_12332c20f2.jpg?v=0

I was fortunate in that I was given a fairly early pick in the first round. I can honestly say the only guy I would have wanted ahead of Bergkamp would have been Roy Keane. Bergkamp as I've said before on this board is one of my favourite players of the nineties and is a genuinely world-class player and a legend. I was delighted to get him and I feel he is a magical player that would grace any team.

Pick 2: Rio Ferdinand

3196129204_dd4e38b4a0.jpg?v=0

Ferdinand in truth was a pretty easy pick for me for the second round. I felt I needed to pick a great defender as I planned on prioritising other areas in the next rounds. In Rio I got one of the most praised defenders in the Premiership. As I recall I was going to go with him or Carragher and would have been happy with either as both are leaders. I plumped for Ferdinand as I felt he was a classier option. He will be my team's captain.

Pick 3: Arjen Robben

3195288831_0ecef3c792.jpg?v=0

Robben as I touched on above was the versatile winger I felt I needed and I'm very happy to have him. I'd say one of the most explosive, impactful wingers the Premiership has seen.

Pick 4: Emmanuel Petit

3195296183_c0e01e89b5.jpg?v=0

At this point I turned my attention towards central midfield and felt I needed a defensive-minded player who was also a good passer of the ball. Manu Petit certainly fit the bill as he provided a combatative presence in the middle and yet meant I didn't have to compromise class for brawn.

Pick 5: Michael Carrick

3196128978_860a2d86de.jpg?v=0

I'd decided on the type of midfield I wanted - one that would be built on good passing. I didn't feel I needed an 'attacking midfielder' as I believed in Bergkamp I had the best playmaker around. This pick, as I kind of expected, got a bit of criticism as Carrick is someone that seems to divide people. Personally I believe he does an underrated job at Man United and I think alongside Petit, Carrick would have a great partnership. I reckon they'd compliment each other well. The only other guy I had in my thoughts for this role was Alonso but I felt his dip in form last season for Liverpool meant Carrick was the better overall draft choice.

Pick 6: Edwin Van Der Sar

3195285605_20c422dae4.jpg?v=0

As I mentioned above I felt a bit of patience would lead to a good goalkeeper pick and I feel relative to the rounds, Edwin Van Der Sar was one of my better picks. To get a guy I consider a man for the big occasion at round 6 was very pleasing. I'd acknowledge he's had his shaky moments at times but I think overall he's been an outstanding success at United and the best goalkeeper since Schmeichel.

Pick 7: Jermain Defoe

3196136340_69fb2e4b09.jpg?v=0

At this point I felt I needed to act fast to ensure I had a true goal machine up front. Defoe was the logical choice. His stats speak for themselves and alongside Bergkamp I felt the two of them would pose a frightening threat.

Pick 8: Wes Brown

3196129148_8feae9ee95.jpg?v=0

I regarded Brown as a really important pick. I was surprised he was left at round 8 as he can do a fine job in two positions. My only concern really was where I would play him but because as mentioned above I don't really rate the full-back positions as that significant, I felt more confident having him play alongside Rio.

Pick 9: Gabriel Heinze

3196138056_b1f73c3445.jpg?v=0

Again, relative to the rounds this was probably one of my better picks. To get such a talented guy in the third-last round was a great bonus.

Pick 10: Boudewijn Zenden

3196128686_06bf53fe54.jpg?v=0

Initially I had gone for Stewart Downing not realising the guy had been picked beforehand but I'm happy to end up with my second choice of Zenden. I think Downing would have provided a better crossing ability for me but I think in my team that's not really going to be that important. With my team I think wingers who can run at defenders and link up with the front men matters more so I think my two Dutch wingers provide a good threat for me.

Pick 11: Geremi

3195285571_7a45050e14.jpg?v=0

Right-back was the last slot I needed and other than Geremi I considered Abel Xavier and a few others but I felt Geremi was the smartest choice available to me as he is strong and a good distributor, plus he can provide some set-piece competition with Bergkamp. I also felt the Robben/Geremi partnership on the right was a nice Chelsea-style combination.

My overall thoughts:

Funnily enough when I look at this team I think this is the kind of team Giovanni Trapattoni would give his right arm to have. It strikes me as a formation and style similar to the current Irish one. The central midfielders in my team won't be asked to do anything too elaborate. Just keep things tight and distribute to the wings and forwards. I feel my defence and goalkeeper are as solid as any in the game. I also feel I have wingers who can cause problems, a legend in Bergkamp who can pull the strings and in Defoe, a goal machine who can take chances that come his way.

I see this team's major strength being in its passing play. I have players comfortable on the ball whose job would be to try and get it to the quicker, pacier players. I feel this is a team that won't leak many goals but will create many chances. I think that's a fair assessment when you look at the talent on show.

I also feel I have created a team of winners, something I spoke of often when making my picks. My back four and goalkeeper for example have all won the Premiership. In fact only two players in my team haven't won the league, Defoe and Zenden. Five of my eleven have won the Champions League. One of them has won a World Cup. So this is not a team that is going to panic if it encounters some difficulty.

What are my team's weaknesses? Well I think my main concern would probably be the defensive nature of my wingers. I'd be concerned that Zenden and Robben whilst good up front, wouldn't be thorough enough in getting back and helping out. I would hope that the full-backs behind them would be able to cover in such instances and that my deep-sitting central midfield would be able to deputise too. I believe they would.

Overall I think this is a team with enough class, resilience, tenacity and ingenuity to be able to provide a tough match-up for any team. I feel my team strikes the best balance in attack and defence. I feel it's able to cause problems for opposition back fours and yet able enough to fend off and deal with attacking threats. I guess that's up to others to determine though.

Well that about sums up my case and assuming you've read this far I thank you for your time and hope you've been suitably impressed. Cheers. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Team Name - Swindon Town (a tribute to the worst Premiership team I've ever seen)

Manager - Xavi6

My primary focus when beginning the draft was to form a solid spine as to me that is the key to success. I chose a goalkeeper first followed by 2 strikers, 2 centre halves and 2 central midfielders so by round 7 I had, in my opinion, a good core group of players.

Goalkeeper - David Seaman (Round 1)

David_Seaman.jpg

I went with Seaman in the first round as I believe in building from the back. If a goalkeeper makes an error in a game there is no one to bail him out, unlike a centre half or a midfielder, so it was very important to get someone I know I can depend on.

Right Back - Warren Barton (Round 9)

Warren%20Barton.jpg

There were a few full backs left when I chose Barton but his success at Newcastle following a huge transfer fee swung it in his favour. Could attack and defend in equal measure and I'd expect a good right side partnership with former club mate Gillespie.

Left Back - Christian Ziege (Round 10)

ziege_christian3.jpg

Great value in round 10 in my opinion. The team was lacking a real dead ball specialist, and aside from maybe 4 players, there is not much between a lot of the left backs selected in the draft.

Centre Half - Ricardo Carvalho] (Round 3)

carvalho.jpg

A quite simply fantastic defender, in the top half a dozen the league has seen for me. I honestly cannot remember him making a serious error. Comfortable on the ball and quick.

Centre Half - Gareth Southgate (Round 4)

_39901919_southgate_emp200x300.jpg

My very own Mr. Reliable. Gareth oozed class wherever he played and was a real leader right from his very early 20s. A simple choice for captain.

Right Wing - Keith Gillespie (Round 11)

Keith%20GILLESPIE.jpg

Expected to go nowhere when he left United. Gillespie forged an excellent Premiership career at subsequent clubs. Every team needs a pacy winger and that's exactly what I have here. Good crosser of the ball too - perfect for Ferdinand.

Left Wing - Trevor Sinclair (Round 8)

a_207028a.jpg

Trev could play right or left and offers superb balance to a team. Always worked hard and got his fair share of goals. Perfect to play with the overlapping Ziege.

Central Midfielder - Olivier Dacourt (Round 6)

dacourt_olivier.jpg

The holding midfielder is these days seen as the key to most teams and Dacourt is a player who plays the role superbly. Strong in the tackle, comfortable on the ball and has a real belter of a shot. Similar in many ways to Patrick Viera.

Central Midfielder - Eyal Berkovic (Round 7)

eyal-berkovic.jpg

The little magician of my team. Fantastic vision combined with great balance and quick feet makes Berkovic the perfect player to be my playmaker. He could carve open even the tightest of defences.

Striker - Stan Collymore (Round 5)

stan_collymore_body_180x260.jpg

Often unpredictable but on his day absolutely lethal. Had all the attributes needed of a top striker - could use both right and left foot, very quick, strong, good in the air and an eye for goal. Perfect.

Striker - Les Ferdinand (Round 2)

Les-Ferdinand.jpg

People always think Les is taller than 5ft 11ins due to his aerial ability. A real thorn in the side of any defender, I expect him to profit greatly from the service provided by Barton, Gillespie, Ziege and Sinclair. His knockdowns would be a dream come true for Stanley Victor.

My team will be playing a basic 4-4-2, including a defensive and an attacking midfielder.

Formation -

Seaman

Barton
    Carvalho
    Southgate
    Ziege

Dacourt

Gillespie
    Berkovic
    Sinclair

Collymore
    Ferdinand

Captain - Gareth Southgate

Free Kicks - Christian Ziege, Eyal Berkovic

Corners - Christian Ziege (R), Eyal Berkovic (L)

Penalties - Eyal Berkovic

Defending - The central trio of Seaman, Carvalho and Southgate is as solid as I could possibly have hoped for. I don't that there's a base they haven't got covered between them. Both full backs are well able to tackle and are both physically sound. Even if they do get exposed I don't think it would be too much of a worry given the baility of my two centre halves.

Gillespie and Sinclair both have good enough engines to get up and down the touchline to help their full backs, while Dacourt's defensive qualities are unquestionable.

Attacking - Obviously a lot of our offensive play will be going through Berkovic. I would like to see us use the wings as much as possible with the full backs overlapping the winger and getting crosses into the box for two strikers who are good in the air.

As an alternative, Collymore's pace and Berkovic's ability to pick a pass make for the ideal through ball scenarios, especially against some of the more sluggish centre half pairings.

Thoughts -

I'm can't think how the draft could have gone better for me all things considered. I didn't struggle for a pick in any of the rounds and I feel each player adds something very positive to the overall line up.

Our main strength I think is the spine of the team. The goalkeeper and two centre halves are simply brilliant, and will see us concede very few goals from central areas. Dacourt sitting right in front of them makes it even more difficult to break us down.

I'm also loving the two strikers. Collymore and Ferdinand could definitely have forged a great partnership at club level given the opportunity and I think there's goals aplenty between them.

Our main weakness is probably at full back. I have no doubts that Ziege's defensive abilities will be open to much scrutiny, and possible Barton's too. However, the two wingers I have chosen have both shown a willingness to track back and defend so hopefully that will help minimise any threat down either flank.

Overall I'm very happy with what I think is an extremely balanced and solid team. It's safe to say that even Alan Ball couldn't get this side relegated.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Had already posted this in the discussion thread but how and ever....

Team Name: Harchester City(cos United were sheeeeeeet)

Order Picked:
    Fowler
    Speed
    Torres
    Bosnich
    Staunton
    Van Persie
    Mellberg
    Danny Murphy
    Carbone
    Melchiot
    Nelsen

Line Up:

Bosnich

Melchiot ---Mellberg --- Nelsen ----Staunton

Murphy
    Speed

Carbone
    Van Persie

Torres
    Fowler

Draft Summary:
    It's fair to say that my team didn't shape up exactly as I had planned at the beginning of the draft. I believe I hindered myself in having a limit shortlist at the start of each round and as that would be whittled away I didnt take the time to look at other options available. That said I'm happy with both the shape and the players I did get and more importantly their ability to play the system that I want to employ.

A lot of people seem to be lamenting their decision to pick a goalkeeper early in the draft because of the amount of decent keepers available towards the end. I'm firmly in the opposite camp because while there were a few good goalkeepers picked towards the end I wouldnt describe any of them as great and great keepers win you points. Bosnich in his prime was a great keeper, certainly one of the best to ever grace the premiership. If it wasnt for his off field problems I believe he could have cemented his place in the United side and added to his medal haul in the process

My defence is the epitomy of solid and unspectacular which was necessary given the formation I want to play. Mellberg and Nelsen are tough, no nonsense defenders who are both good in the air and strong in the tackle. Both have decent pace too which allows them to make vital challenges against quicker forwards.

I will want my full backs to offer something going forward but not to the extent of an Evra or a Cole because I wont be asking too much defensively of RVP or Carbone. Melchiot and praticularly Staunton are good crossers of the ball and dont need to beat their man to whip in a cross from the by-line. Both have pace and while their forays forward wont be too aggressive this pace will allow them to get back into a defensive position quickly and to get a solid defensive unit organised quickly. Staunton, while I'm happy with him in my team,was definitely a poor pick for the 5th round but c'est la vie.

In the middle I wanted two players who can pick a pass but also get stuck in and win the ball that will be vital to allow my front players to be creative. Speed and Murphy are perfect for this role. Both are tenacious in the middle of the park and both can pick out a pass and get involved further up the field. Speed is also a great leader and will be my captain. He's also a handy threat from corners too but his real effect will be felt in the engine room and his overall leadership on the field.

Carbone and Van Persie are the aces up my sleeve and I will be looking to them to score goals, be creative and make chances for the front two. Both have question marks over them. Carbone because he can be erratic and Van Persie because he cant stay fit enough to really get into his stride. As I said when I picked him though he is a worthwhile gamble because he offers things that few players in the draft have. Guile, a lethal shot and a genuine left foot. I've lined them up to favour their stronger feet but as a manager I would be encouraging them to pop up anywhere across that line behind the front two, get on the ball and make things happen.

What you get from my front two is goals. Fowler in his pomp was the best natural finisher in the premiership and one of a rare breed of strikers who could score every type of goal. Left foot, right foot, head, you name it he used it to great effect in putting the ball in the net. A god on the red half of Merseyside and rightly so. Slowed in his later years but definitely a worthy first round pick.

Now my most contentious pick which seems to have split people. I was delighted that my pick happened to fall just as Torres passed his 40 PL game because I believe him to be one of the most awesome strikers I've seen. First Liverpool player to score 20 goals in a season since, ironically, Robbie Fowler, and broke the record for most goals in a debut season for a foreign player. Simply put the lad is a goalscorer and more than that he is a proper footballer. Pace to burn and an eye for a pass he complements Fowler perfectly I believe as they both have attributes the other is lacking but together they would be unbelievable. I believe they could form the kind of partnership that Torres enjoys with David Villa at International level and that hasnt been going too badly.

Now to the issue of his selection. Agreed he doesnt have a long career to judge from and as such its difficult to assess his long term affect on the league but judging from the sample we have seen so far I believe him to be an excellent third round pick for two reasons. Firstly he fits perfectly in with my team. When I picked Fowler I always had Torres in mind to partner him and secondly because I dont think he would have lasted any further and to my mind there was no striker taken after him that is as talented, skillful or had such an explosive effect on the premiership as Torres. For that reason I believe he fits the criteria needed to be considered a good pick and a great asset to my team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Team Name:Titan United

Manager:titan18

Formation:At the start of the draft, I came in with no formation of choice in mind, just to take the player who was highest on my shortlist with my pick, and make up the formation as I go along, which is why my formation has ended up a bit unusual, and the players werent drafted with any formation in mind.

- - Jaaskalainen - -

Clarke - Bould - Stimac - Irwin

- - - Jenas --- Scholes- - -Taylor

Gudjohnsen

- - - Di Canio - - - Viduka

Team Strategy: My strategy from the outset was to pick a team with flair player, and to make up for some lack of team work by some of them, with good, hard industrious midfielders.My picks are a reflection of this strategy.

With my front 3 of Gudjohnsen, Di Canio and Viduka, there is enough creativity and firepower to finish off any team.With Scholes in the midfield aswell, he will be able to use his passing ability to get Viduka and Di Canio into space.Gudjohnsen will be able to lend a hand in defence if I'm under pressure too, as he often played as a centre midfielder for Chelsea.

In Jenas and Taylor, I picked 2 box-to-box midfielders, who will be able to compensate for the lack of a teamwork ethic in my front pair.They will be able to get forward and help the attack, but will most importantly be able to help the defense and cut out any attacks by the opposition.

My full backs of Irwin and Clarke will be able to support the attack and get forward down the wings.They are also very good in the defensive side so should be able to handle the attacks that will come from the opposition down my wings.When the opposition full backs come down the wing, Scholes and Gudjohnsen will move out and help the full backs.Scholes to help Irwin as they played together and he's the least likely to need help out of Clarke and himself.

My 2 centre backs of Bould and Stimac are strong enough to handle any attacks through the middle and both are good in the air and will be able to clear any crosses in.Stimac will be able to get forward in attack aswell and play balls through to Di Canio and Viduka.If I need to aswell, he's perfect to hammer the ball forward and hope Viduka gets a flick on to Di Canio or to an onrushing Scholes or Gudjohnsen who are both able to hammer a shot in from outside the box.

With Jaaskalainen in goal, he'll be able to stop any shots that come through and marshall the defense in dangerous situations.

Picks:

Pick 1Paul Scholes

PaulScholes_468x551.jpg

I was happy with my first pick.Scholes was in the top 5 of my shortlist.He is a very good technical player which is what my team was designed to be full of.

Pick 2:Denis Irwin

irwwwwin.jpg

Even though some people have said that taking a full back early was a bad decision, I am happy in my decision to take Irwin with my 2nd pick.He was a brilliant player for Manchester United and always gave everything on the pitch.

Pick 3: Paolo Di Canio

PaoloDiCanio_468x521.jpg

A fantastic finisher and a very good technical player with tons of creativity.He was the best forward available at the time and is a pick that I like.

Pick 4: Eidur Gudjohnsen

1166769591226_foot_r.jpg

A very good technical player like my other picks and with tons of creativity, he will be able to feed the ball through to my forwards.He also is very willing to work for the team and track back and is not afraid of going into a tackle.Happy with this pick.

Pick 5: Jussi Jaaskalainen

452108.jpg

A fantastic keeper, a great servant to Bolton and has kept them in the Premiership with some fantastic saves.In hindsight, I'm not exactly sure about this pick as with some of the keepers that were available in the end and with Schwarzer not being picked at all.I wish I had held out to the end with a keeper, and not picked Jussi but he is still a fantastic nevertheless.

Pick 6: Steve Bould:

bould.jpg

A fantastic defender but I think I could have held off on him for another round.I'm still happy with the pick as he'll be a fantastic defender alongside Stimac.

Pick 7:Mark Viduka

p1_australia_0111.jpg

When I picked Viduka, it was a case of best player available despite the fact I had 2 forwards already.I just had to change around my team cos I couldnt leave Viduka when he was available in this round.I think this was my best pick in the draft.

Pick 8:Igor Stimac

_1513834_igorstimac150.jpg

A fantastic defender, a real leader on the pitch.Very good on the ball and is perfect to line up alongside Bould in my back line.Very happy with this pick.

Pick 9:Steve Clarke

EMP-5972910.jpg

A very good right back.A longtime servant to Chelsea.A very good leader, and very good going forward aswell and solid at the back.Happy with this pick

Pick 10:Jermaine Jenas

A good strong midfielder with a strong work ethic.He'll be able to cover the defense and get forward, and has plenty of energy to do so.Happy with this pick.

Pick 11: Ian Taylor

AstonVilla_Taylor_med.jpg

A strong worker like Jenas, and will provide cover for the defense when the opposition attacks.A strong tackler and will be very good with Jenas in the middle of the park.Happy with this pick.

Captain:Bould

Free Kick Taker:Irwin,Di Canio

Penalty Taker:Irwin,Di Canio

Corners:Irwin,Gudjohnsen

Summary:Looking back at the draft, i dont think it could have gone any better.I would have left a keeper until the end and picked a midfielder instead of Jussi, but I can't complain on it as my team didn't end up too bad.The main strength of the team is the attack with the main four possessing loads of creativity and I should have no problem scoring against any team in this draft.

The main weakness of the team is probably my midfield.Jenas and Taylor aren't exactly the best players out there, but will be able to do what's necessary and help the defense out and let my front four wreak havok on the opposition's defense.If the opposition attack down the wings, Scholes and Gudjohnsen are capable of tracking back and helping out the fullbacks.

Overall, I'm very happy with my side and I think that with my attack, I can beat any side in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Team name: Naked Bible Men
    Manager: NekkidBibleMan

Formation

Sullivan
    Carr-LeBouef-Scales-Bjornebye
    ----McAllister-Mascherano
    --LeTissier-Juninho-Rosicky
    Hasselbaink

Selection strategy:
    For me, the crucial positions in the early rounds were at the business end of the pitch. The Premiership has been awash with solid keepers, defenders and midfield bruisers, but for creativity and the spectacular, there is a small group of top class players, followed by a sharp drop to the next level. I decided I'd sort my full-backs out last, as their impact pales in significance to other positions, and also because of the relative wealth of quality in these positions.

I also decided on a formation before any picks were made. Most in the draft have gone for a 4-4-2, but I chose not to for a variety of reasons. A 4-2-3-1 demands only on striker (two top quality strikers were going to be difficult to secure), while the midfield is a flexible unit capable of accommodating players of various style and skill. By freeing my attacking three midfielders of defensive duties (and vice versa), I have been able to nullify potential drawbacks in picking certain players. Finally, I believe that a 4-2-3-1 is, with the right players, a much more effective formation when lining up against other teams of high-quality, as in this draft.

My picks, in order:

Round 1: Matt Le Tissier
    One of the best players I've seen in my lifetime. He had astounding technique, a fantastic footballing brain and was a fantastic creative force. Any question marks over his defensive nous or workrate are nullified, as he is purely being deployed as an attacker.

Round 2: Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink
    Given my formation, a strong, mobile target man was an obvious requirement. For me, there was no better player for the job than Hasselbaink. One of the all-time leading scorers in the Premiership, he regularly broke the 20-goals-a-season barrier, and did so in weaker teams than most. He was strong, quick and a great finisher. He was capable of scoring every kind of goal.

Round 3: Juninho
    I think Juninho represents great value for the third round, considering his unquestionable impact on the Premiership. He'll slot in alongside Le Tissier, playing the typical Brazilian No. 10 role. Again, with no defensive responsibilities, the weak side of his game does not impact on my team.

Round 4: Gary McAllister (Captain)[/b]
    Having gone for a lot of flair with my opening picks, I needed someone who was capable of steadying the boat and setting the tempo for my team. Combining a great engine with a vast array of passing, he
    will be looked on to hold fort, and start my attacks from deep.

Round 5: Javier Mascherano
    In my system, a player like Mascherano is a necessity. Unspectacular going forward, but crucial in winning the ball and breaking down attacks, his tireless industry will compliment McAllister's passing well in providing my midfield platform. On his day, he has shown he can keep even Kaka quiet, and with the quality of the opposition teams, his experience at the top level could be crucial.

Round 6: Frank LeBouef
    By this stage, a lot of you had (surprisingly, to me) concentrated on building from the back, and so I was keen to get in somebody to keep me steady at the back. Frank LeBouef will lead by defense, and his no-nonsense approach to defending coupled with his comfort on the ball is a solid, if unspectacular, addition.

Round 7: Tomas Rosicky
    A controversial one, but a necessity. Leaving left-wing to so late in the draw was, on hindsight, a mistake. There was a real lack of quality after the first few founds had gone, and the demands of my formation further limited me. There's no doubting Rosicky's ability, but there are obvious question marks over his fitness. Ironically, my alternative for the role was Patrick Berger, another Czech with a patchy fitness history!

Round 8: Neil Sullivan
    With my attack and midfield complete, attention turned to my defense. It was a toss-up between choosing a central defender or a goalkeeper, but I think I chose wisely in Sullivan. A solid keeper with a wealth of experience, he won't cost a team points. He's also quite vocal, and will help marshall the defense.

Round 9: John Scales
    I was keen for 'footballing' centre-halves, and John Scales is one. His record speaks for itself, and I think he was good value for the 9th round.

Round 10: Stephen Carr
    In choosing to pick my full-backs in rounds 10 and 11, I wasn't expecting a player of Carr's ability to be available. My formation requires full-backs who aren't afraid to get forward, and Carr demonstrated at Spurs and Newcastle his ability to do just that.

Round 11: Stig Inge Bjornebye
    My final pick was left-back, and again I chose a full-back who could get forward. Sometimes deployed as a wing-back by Liverpool, he was a fine crosser of the ball from deep. He also played alongside Scales in on the meanest defenses of the Premiership era.

Captain: Gary McAllister
    Free-kicks: Juninho/Le Tiss/Gary Mc
    Penalties: Le Tissier (obviously!)

Summary: I'm very happy with my team. In prioritizing my team's attack, I believe I have one of the strongest in the draft. Shrewd picks like LeBouef and Sullivan meant I secured a solid, if unspectacular, defense. Still, football is won by scoring goals, and my team is certainly set up to do that.

Strengths
    - Creativity in attack
    - Three attacking midfielders capable of the spectacular
    - Solid defensive midfield unit

Weaknesses
    - Unspectacular defense
    - Fitness concerns with Rosicky and Carr

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Team Name - 11 winners and Denis
    shaka_hislop_disco_270.jpg

smithc7428112006.P02.jpgcampbell_sol_afc_profile_2005.jpgagger.jpgIanHarte_582997.jpg

image_3356.jpgnolan_kevin_bwfc_profile_2007.jpggareth-barry.jpgpires_robert_afc_profile_2005.jpg

El capitain : Sol Campbell
    Pens : Gareth Barry
    Free Kicks : A scrum between Harte, Barry, Pires, Agger and Nolan.

jurgen_klinsmann.jpgian+rush

write up after my lunch

Lunch OVER

On Goal Shaka Hislop was my last pick round 11 and for me the best value anyone got in round 11 because for 3/4 seasons he was really one of the best keepers anywhere, It took Shay Given to oust him at newky and he was dynamite for the Hammers too - Great Keeper. Probably my smartest pick going by round/value.

The back 4

I look at Markus Babbel at right back as the complete full back for me - He ceratinly will be questioned over his career more or less ending through sickness but he cannot be questioned for the quality delivery he provides and how strong a defender he is, Slotting in to my centre I have Sol Campbell and Daniel Agger - I know alot of questions will be asked of Agger - but I honestly believe he's one of the Greatest footballing Centre Halves I've ever seen - while's he's young and inexperienced he's also a good header of the ball a real attacking threat from set pieces and his own mazy dribbles and wonder strikes, Add to that Sol Campbell and Agger's "inexperience" becomes less of an Issue having the best centre back to ever grace the premiership beside him makes this an excellent partnership for me.
    On the left to complete my back 4 I have Ian Harte - who's still thought of much more highly in England than he is here, because he never provided his best work for Ireland he did however provide his best work for Leeds, Such a danger from set pieces and when young was quite the accomplished defender - as sweet a left leg as there has been in this draft.

The middle of the Park

2 Box to box midfielders - can it work? Yes of course.
    Midfields didn't always come in todays categories of defensive, attacking, boxtobox etc. They used to come in only 2 Good and Bad.
    My to are good, Gareth Barry and Kevin Nolan - They score Goals, They make Goals, The break up play, They both have an excellent range of passing, they both have a huge engine and can go for 90 minutes, both are relatively un-injury prone in a position you need your team to keep going. They have it all for me.
    On the wings I have 2 very different wingers 1 is the Craftiest of all the Crafty wingers there ever was and That's Robert Pires, if there is something in football that he can't do then it isn't worth doing, and he might just win me a few soft peno's :pac:
    On the right wing I have Shaun Wright-Phillips He's explosive lightning quick, great delivery and chips in with plenty of goals, too many goals some would say.

Up top

Klinnsmann and Rush

GOALS GOALS GOALS - if only Batistuta played in the prem so I could really of had my 90's dream team partnership

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Team Name: Limerpool

Managed By: Melion

Formation: Ive picked players who i feel can adapt to either a basic 442 or can switch to 3-5-2 when needed.

442:

Given
    Johnson--Wright--Hyypia--Babayaro
    Anderton--Tugay--Lee--Luis Garcia
    Sheringham--Yakubu

352(Wingbacks)

Given
    --Johnson--Wright--Hyypia
    Anderton
    Babayaro
    Tugay--Lee

Luis Garcia
    ----Sheringham--Yakubu----

Goalkeeper..Shay Given
    shay-given.JPG
    When choosing my first player i thought it was important to put down a good starting point and no better place than in goals. I feel ive got one of the top 3 keepers to ever play in the Premiership. I can be assured of not conceding too many with Given in my team.

Right Back..Glen Johnson
    Glen_Johnson_626532.jpg
    A lot of people consider this one of the weakest areas on the football pitch. I think its a great place to start your attacks. In Johnson i feel ive got one of the best attacking fullbacks currently playing in the Premiership. Great pace and a great crosser of the ball. Will be invaluable to my team.

Left Back..Celestine Babayaro
    Celestine_Babayaro_625670.jpg
    One of the fastest players to ever play in the Premiership. Will be excellent down my left wing to whip in balls when Luis Garcia has moved in field. I think the 2 of these will compliment each other brilliantly.

Centre Half..Sami Hyypia
    sami_hyypia.jpg
    One of the best defenders to ever play in the Premiership, its that simple. Has been a rock for Liverpool for close to 10 years now. Delighted to have him in my team, his reading of the game is second to none. Not many strikers will have a good day against him and Wrighty.

Centre Half..Mark Wright
    wright2.jpg
    Along with Sami, a great reader of the game. This attribute along with my fullbacks will make sure pacey strikers arent a problem for my defence. Will put his head in front of anything to ensure a clean sheet. Both of my centre halves will be a big threat from any set-pieces that come my way also.

Right Midfield..Darren Anderton
    darren_anderton1_203_203x152.jpg
    A great pick at the stage i picked him up. As i said before, if not for the emergence of one David Beckham im sure he would be regarded much higher in England. A solid right winger, great crosser of the ball and will always pop up with a goal or 2.

Left Midfield..Luis Garcia
    461150_mediumsquare.jpg
    Every team needs one. That one player who will infuriate you for 89 minutes but will then pop up with a moment of magic to win you the game and Little Luis is my teams magician. Will be given a free role in the team after starting on the left. His ability in the hole behind the strikers is brilliant, can see a pass many others cant. Guaranteed to get a goal too.

Central Midfield..Tugay
    Tugay_Kerimoglu_609202.jpg
    My teams engine room is probably the strongest part of the 11. With Tugay, you get a player who will run for the full 90 minutes but also a great passer of the ball. Ferocious in the tackle and also an eye for goal which i think is very important from my midfield.

Central Midfield..Rob Lee
    FDBA0018-A37C-0818-1A26337607627FEE.jpg
    This mans ability to score goals from midfield was amazing. Early in his career he was a free-scoring midfielder, later adapting to a holding midfielder. I think himself and Tugay will be an amazing partnership and the steel they will provide to the centre of my team will make sure nobody will be able to get a clear run at my defence.

Striker..Yakubu
    Aiyegbeni_Yakubu_811775.jpg
    The Beast, simple as that. With this man up front, no defence will have an easy day. He will run at and harass them all day. His power alone will scare most defenders in this draft and then he has the pace to get away from the rest. I think him and Teddy would make an incredible partnership.

Striker..Teddy Sheringham
    sheringham_teddy_whfc_profile_2004.jpg
    The brains to go with the brawn of Yakubu. One of the most intelligent players to grace the premiership. Never had electric pace but never needed it. Along with Garcia, Tugay and Rob Lee i think that i have put together one of the best passing teams in the draft and Yakubu will thrive on the amount of chances that Teddy will put on for him.

Captain..Teddy Sheringham
    Free-Kicks..Tugay and Teddy Sheringham
    Penalties..Teddy Sheringham

Defence
    As i said above, this team is mainly going to line out as a 442 but can easily switch to a 352 if its ever needed. Starting from the back i feel ive put together a very solid defence, i dont see any weak link. Anybody hoping to attack my team with pace will fail due to the pace my fullbacks possess and my centre halves ability to read the game in front of them. Anyone hoping to beat me in the air will have no success as ive got 2 of the best headers of the ball in the centre of my defence. I really dont see an easy way past my back 4. And if the unthinkable did happen and a striker does get through, they would have the near impossible task of beating Shay Given.

Midfield
    In Tugay and Rob Lee, i feel ive got a very hard working engine room. Neither are afraid of a tackle, both have the vision to lay balls on for my strikers and both can be relied on for a goal themselves. A very strong unit in the centre complimented by the hard work and graft of Darren Anderton on the right. Can easily cut into the centre if he is needed just to shore things up a bit. And, just like Tugay and Rob Lee, he can be relied upon for a goal. Out on the left, you have Luis Garcia. As i said in the draft pick, ridiculously infuriating a lot of the time but i think every team should have a player like him. He has the ability to totally change a game with just one flick of his boot. Will have to be watched at all times and his ability to cut in from the left will make sure none of the oppositions right backs will get time to bomb upfield.

Attack
    I think Yakubu and Sheringham will compliment each other perfectly, with Yakubu feeding off the genius and vision of Sheringham i think he will get a lot of chances. With his power and pace he will be pulling strikers all over the place to let the midfield pile into the box to put away any chances that fall their way from Sheringhams knock-ons.

Final Thoughts
    When i seen my team down in the order they were picked i was a little underwhelmed. But thinking about the tactics and how they would all play together, i think ive put together a very solid team. Not a lot will get past my tough tackling midfield(Bar Garcia), if it does it will have to contend with very quick fullbacks and excellent centre halves along with Shay Given. All in all, im very happy with how my 11 finished up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Team name=Bubsies Babes

MNG, why would you lie, this is the classiest team in the draft

First Pick: Crisitiano Ronaldo
    2312787586_d477404469.jpg
    One of only two world players of the year in the draft he also boasts a Champion's League to his name. Lethal with his feet and in the air is the most versatile attacking option in the draft

Second Pick: Gary Neville
    gary_neville.jpg
    The best and most consistent right back in the history of the Premiership as shown by his amount of honours and positions in various PFA teams of the year. Started for two generations of great Man Utd teams

Third Pick: Joe Cole
    joe_cole.jpg
    One of my favourite players he is the perfect man to compliment Ronaldo. Both have played and excelled in the system and both can play on each wing. Has a great pass and can beat men easily

Fourth Pick: Jay Jay Okocha
    1816.jpg
    Bolton's best player for years, he is the luxury man that my two defensive midfielders allow.The former African player of the year is great with the ball and capable of winning games single handedly on his day

Fifth Pick: Ledley King
    LedleyKing_547050.jpg
    Tottenham's talisman when Sol left is a great athletic defender. Solid as a rock in the air and pacey for a big man. Also a consumate professional

Sixth Pick: Dennis Wise
    _44445348_chelspurs17.jpg
    The Eddie Guerrero of football, willing to do anything it takes to win the game. When he's not trying to fondle Ian Wright he is an energetic bulldog in midfield capable of winning midfield battles against the likes of Keane and Viera in his heyday. Also a great leader and the captain of my team

Seventh Pick: Richard Dunne
    dunne.jpg
    The poor man's John Terry must have been doing something right to win Man City's player of the year four times in a row, a remarkable achievement in itself. Phenomenal positioning coupled with great strength and a good ariel presence, his lack of pace should be covered by my eighth pick

Eighth Pick: Wayne Bridge
    wb.jpg
    The man who was effectively screwed out of a Chelsea place because they had to justify the fee payed for the constantly dissapointing Cole had always impressed when given the chance. His quality passing, tactical sense and pace recently commanded a 12 million pound transfer fee

Ninth Pick: Magnus Hedman
    15hed.jpg
    A great keeper with a phenomenal wife he kept Coventry in the Premiership for years with outstanding performances behind a ramshackle defence. Perhaps the best evidence of his quality was that he got signed by Chelsea based on his past brilliance despite his career dipping dramatically once he left Coventry

Tenth Pick: Alan Boksic
    boksic200BBC.jpg
    The former runner up World Player of the year may have been in the twighlight of his career when he joined Borough but he was the highest paid player in the Premierhsip and scored 20 goals in 48 games in a simply pitiful team

Eleventh Pick: Edgar Davids
    davids_edgar_thfc_profile_2006.jpg
    One of the most iconic players in the game who's CV reads the greatest clubs of the 90s helped Spurs to their best Premiership finish ever. One of the best passes of a defensive midfielder as well

Tactics
    Hedman

Neville
    King----Dunne----Bridge

Davids
    Wise(c)

Okocha

Ronaldo
    J.Cole

Boksic

I'm very happy with my team, and would probably only change one pick if I could.

Starting from the back I have 3 guys who were/are the defensive talisman for their clubs in King, Dunne and Hedman who have numerous supporters player of the year between them (rarities for a defensive player). They are extremely solid at the back and that's where they'll stay (no goal keeping corners for Hedman). I have the best right back ever in Neville and in Bridge I have a quality left back with a great pass. Dunne plays beside Bridge to help cover his lack of pace. They will be a Mourinho-esque back four in that they are full backs and strictly full backs. None of this left backs running to the front. Both have shown that they can do this.

The midfield is the real crowning joy of my team. Wise and Davids will harry the opposition and get me the ball, I feel they complement each other well as Wise will break the rules as much as possible to get the ball whereas Davids has the continental experience to play well tactically, read the game and has a good pass to. Okocha in essence has a free role, he will be used to get the ball to Cole and Ronaldo but obviously will be encouraged to dribble up the field.

Ronaldo and Cole compliment each other fantastically. The worlds best player and Chelsea's best from last year can play on both sides and love running at defenders. In essence, they will be constantly swapping wings and if one has no luck against a fullback, they can swap so the other can take a crack at him. Needless to say Ronaldo will be my main attacking threat in the team.

Boksic will be working of scraps and crosses. He won't be expected to do much running, just use his technichal skill to make the most of chances when he gets them. His guile and experience should help him get free positionally while his time abroad (particularly in Italy) will have forced him to play in many different tactics so he should have no trouble adapting to this one. His goal ratio was very impressive while playing with Noel Whelan and co so it's not unrealistic to expect him to improve while playing with a higher quality team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

My team name: The Eagle Rovers

1. Neville Southall
    One of the best the Premiership has seen. A legend of the game and one of the greatest keepers ever. He made incredible stops time and time again. He was magnificent in Evertons last FA Cup win in 1995 against Manchester United for which he received the Man of the Match award. He was the first player to make 200 Premier League appearances. He is one of the few goalkeepers to have won a football of the year award but that was before the Premier League began. The MBE award in 1997 was a fitting tribute to his legendardy career.

l7334684977_6214.jpg

2. Roland Nilsson

Roland was the best full back bar Denis Irwin that I have seen play in the Premier League. There are some good full backs currently in the league who might over time be considered as good or maybe even better than those two, but at this moment I have yet to see a better right back play the game in England. Roland played his best years with Sheffield Wednesday, he is in their hall of fame and is a legend among supporters of Wednesday. He came back to the Premier League at 34 years of age and showed he was still a top full back when he played with Coventry City until he retired in 1999. I am certain that I have the best right back in this draft. With 116 caps for his coutry he has shown just how consistently good he was thoughout his career.

roland_nilsson_365x470.jpg

5, Marin Laursen

Martin Laursen is well known to all and without doubt for me is currently the best Centreback playing outside of the big four in the Premier League, some would argue that he is the best including them, but I rate his partner in my team as that. Laursen has been top class for a long time now, and has overcome injury to come back and regain his place as one of the best in the world in his position. He is known for his fearlessness and his magnificent ability to head the ball. He is so dangerous from corner kicks in the opposing box also, a talent that Martin O'Neill has used to full affect over the last two seasons. Lionheart was both the Aston Villa supporters player of the year last season and also received the Denmark player of the year award. He has been promoted by Martin O'Neill to Club Captain of Aston Villa. His goal scorng record is incredible over the past season and a half for a Centre Back. I'm not sure of exact numbers right now, but he has definitely over ten for Villa in the last year or so. Laursen will be my leader at the back.

article-1036790-0202C10B00000578-787_468x357.jpg

6. Nemanja Vidic

Nemanja Vidic joined Manchester United in January 2006. United went on an incredible run shortly after he joined them and at one stage reduced the gap between them and Chelsea from 18 points down to only 7 points. He has been magnificent for them ever since. United have won two League titles and the Champions League in the two full seasons he has been with the club, he has been in the Premier League team of year on both occasions and received his second Serbian football of the year award in 2008. He has been shortlisted for all the major awards as a defender in both those seasons also. Along with Martin Laursen he is one of the best headers of a ball in the League and is a real danger to the opposition from Corner Kicks. His aggressive style of defence is a joy to watch, and I don't think I have ever seen anybody else who can play that way and be successful at it.

vidicbig.jpg

3. Alan Wright

Alan Wright was a dependable left back, loved at Aston Villa during his time there, he was previously part of the Blackburn Rovers squad that won the Premier League. He was always highly regarded and his fee of 1 million sterling when moving to Villa in the summer of 1995 is a testament to just how good he was. He spent the next eight years at Villa Park. He was an excellent tacker and possessed incredible speed which was often used to set up quick counter attacks. Alan Wright completes my back four.

_1495496_wright_poyet300.jpg

4. Claude Makelele

Well what can you say about this man, they thought they had a replacement for him at Chelsea, but since his departure things seem to be getting worse and meanwhile his new team PSG in France which struggled last year is flying high in Ligue1. Makelele was the engine in the Chelsea team that won two Premier Leagues in a row. He is widely regarded by those who have played with him to be the best they have played with. When the Real Madrid Galacticos lost him to Chelsea, their team fell apart very quickly. Frank Lampard has said that once he played with him he understood what the other greats that had played with him were talking about. Claude will be my engine room in my team, he will stop my awesome defence from having to deal with a lot of pressure and set up attacks with his immaculate passing ability. I can't see many goals being scored against my side with this man in front of an awesome defence.

_Claude_Makelele_39586t.jpg

11. Andy Townsend

He liked the 11 shirt and I'll give it to him. Andy Townsend is my workhorse, my box to box midfielder. Andy was another leader of men, he worked tirelessly for both club and country. Andy's £2.2 million pounds trasfer fee when moving to Aston Villa was one of the biggest fees payed out in the early days of the Premier League. His performances for Ireland were such that he kept Roy Keane out of the team for a long time. A fantastic midfielder he will be available when Claude looks for him and will cause opposing defences to spread due to his accurate passing and also the fact that he possesses a wicked shot from distance. I'm choosing Andy as my Team Captain.

_824279_towsend300.jpg

8. Jason Wilcox

Jason was a mainstay in the Blackburn Rovers team that won the Premier League and stayed with the club for a long time after that playing 271 times in total and scoring 31 goals. He eventually moved on to Leeds United in 1999 where he displaced Harry Kewell on the left side of midfield with his consistently high class displays. One of the best Corner Kick takers in the Premier League he will be my no.1 corner taker on both sides of the pitch. His link up play makes him very dangerous and his crossing ability is as good as it gets in football. With Alan Wrights speed he can set up attacks down the left with his link up play.

JWilcox2.jpg
    10. Steve Stone

Steve was one of the crucial players in the Nottingham Forest team that has a great Premier Leauge run in the '90s, he was eveywhere on the pitch for them but his ability on the right side of the pitch earned him rave reviews and also England caps. He was bought for big money by Aston Villa and was rumoured to be moving to Manchester United after only one season at Aston Villa. His career took a down turn shortly after that with the arrival of Graham Taylor at Villa Park. He moved to Portsmouth and was a vital part of their promotion and played for them in the Premier League until that great French manager Alain Perrin:rolleyes: decided to release him. He moved to Leeds and struggled from his arrival there with injury before he eventually had to retire from injury at the end of the '95/96 season. Steve will play down the right side for me and he will move in from time to time depending on the opposition as he can be dangeous when he does having scored 37 league goals during his career as well as assisting well over 100 times. He will be my no.2 corner taker staying out there with Jason Wilcox for most corners.

_180744_stone_and_speed300.jpg

7. Peter Beardsley

The little wizard was to me the Mardona of the Premier League. He was magnificent for Newcastle and provided most of the assists in Andy Cole's record breaking season with Newcastle. He also scored plenty himself. I will play the maestro in the hole just behind Alan Shearer. With both Stone and Wilcox well able to provide crosses and this man able to cut open defences with ball at his feet or by passing it, I'm salivating at the prospect of opoosing defences being ripped apart. Having tremendous tacklers behind him in Makele and Townsend he does not have to worry about taking chances. He is a one of a kind in this draft, there is no player that posesses the ability to beat players and create opportunities for others like this man. I was completly shocked when I was able to pick this man up with the 76th pick in the draft.

BEARDSLEY_Peter_19960811_SF_L.jpg
    9. Alan Shearer

Well what can you say, what can you say? I have the most potent goalscoring machine in the history of the Premier League, nobody has come close to equalling this man's records. I have so much class to provide for this man and he and Beardsley are the biggest nightmare partnership for any defence. They can both score goals from anywhere, they can both go it alone or lay it on for the other man. I see this as the best partnership possible in this draft. Alan Shearer will take my free kicks and penalties.

SHEARER_Alan_19930918_GH_R.jpg

I am extremely happy with my team, I have winners all over the pitch, I expect to score 2+ goals per game and I don't see how anybody can put goals past with any consistency so I expect to concede less than .5 goals per game with my defence. I have two ball winners in the centre of the park and two exceptional passers in Makelele and Townesend, I have one of the best link up players that ever played the game in Jason Wilcox.

When we go to this cup thing, I will provide tactics after I see who I am playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Team: Jip Jaap United

Order:

Ryan Giggs
    The greatest left winger ever to play in the Premiership. Manchester United's record appearance holder, and the captain of Jip Jaap United.

Jaap Stam
    It's a shame he only had a few seasons at United, but he was solid as a rock and not in the least out of place as a second round pick.

David James
    Seemingly gets better with age. He was a rock last season and a quick look in 'team of the season' threads will reflect that. In 2007 he eclipsed David Seaman's record of 141 clean sheets. England's No.1.

Gus Poyet
    Bringing some class to my midfield is the Uruguayan who was a fan favourite at both Chelsea and Spurs, with a terrific goal-scoring record from midfield

Dimitar Berbatov
    The Bulgarian had a very good record for Spurs (just under a goal every other game) and has an eye for the spectacular. Still finding his feet at United, but his record isn't bad so far. 8 goals and a bagful of assists, showing signs of what made him so sought after.

Henning Berg
    Solid right back and the only player to win the Premiership with two different teams. Also part of the Treble-winning Man United side.

Sylvain Wiltord
    It had been a toss up between Berg and Wiltord, and I was astounded that he was still free when the draft came back my way. He can play right wing or just off the front man. Recently included in Arsenal's Top 50 players of all time.

Ugo Ehiogu
    I was delighted to get someone of his experience late on. Very solid centre back with hundreds of appearences, as well as a couple of League Cups to his name.

Scott Parker
    I needed someone combative to complement Poyet in midfield, and I think he was good value at that stage of the draft. It really boggles me how many Premiership clubs he's been at for someone his age, I think he's quality.

Julian Dicks
    I finished my defence off with Dicks, ensuring that I'd have a rock solid, if perhaps unadventurous, back four. With that cannon of a left-foot, he's my penalty taker.

Fabrizio Ravanelli
    In my original write-up for Ravanelli I said it's a pity he never played for one of the top sides, and two relegations really belies his goal-scoring form.

How they line up

James

----Berg
    Stam
    Ehiogu
    Dicks---

----Wiltord
    Parker
    Poyet
    Giggs(c)-

Berbatov
    Ravanelli

Defence

I think I've as solid a CB pairing as any in this draft, with two very reliable full-backs to complement. They probably won't get forward as much as others in the draft, but I'm confident I've enough creativity ahead. If they are breached, I've one of the most experienced goalkeepers as the last line of defence. If there's one collective area I'm happy with, it's my defence.

Midfield
    I think I have a good balance in midfield; Poyet will get forward plenty and link up with Berbatov and Ravanelli, with Parker providing the stability for him to do so. Playing a conventional 4-4-2 I feel I have one of the best flank combinations in Wiltord and Giggs. Not only will they be supportive of the front two, but both are capable of delivering plenty of decent crosses for a striker who scored a lot with his head in Ravanelli.

Attack
    Berbatov and Ravanelli would be an awesome partnership. Berbatov dropping a little deeper and linking up play with the midfield combined with the fox-in-the-box mentality of the White Feather. Berbatov's intelligence and Ravanelli's clinical finishing should ensure the goals don't dry up.

Finally I'd like to say it's been a blast participating in this. Cheers to LuckyLloyd for organising and the rest of you for teaching me a few things about players I only knew a little (or nothing at all) about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Shout FC Manager: Shoutman

Lehmann
    --Lauren----McGrath----Short----Le Saux--
    Roy
    gerard(c)
    Barnes
    Young
    Tevez

drogba

Captain: Steven Gerard
    Free Kick: Young, Gerard, Barnes
    Corner: Roy, Young

Team strategy
    Pace to burn down the wings, two of the best passers in the premiership in midfield, a superb forward who is as good in the air as he is with the ball at his feet. A defensive back four that will be hard to match and one of the best goalkeepers in premiership history minded the goal.
    I believe the beauty of my team is that I can break down the opposition in so many different ways. My side is an aggressively attacking side, but my back four counteract this as a solid defensive unit. My team can play shortpassing, through balls, long balls, play it down the wing all as good as any team. The midfield are passing maestro's. I have two of the fastest wingers in premiership history and a solid target man. A combination of talent, skill and work ethic.
    I believe on their day, my team are absolute world beaters.

By Round

Round 1
    Steven Gerrard (c)
    sport-graphics-2007_704731a.jpg
    Steven Gerard is captain fantastic and he will be my captain fantastic, leading Shout FC from the heart of midfield. A box to box midfielder and one of the very best in the world.
    Round 2
    Paul "God" McGrath
    00002b8c0c8r.jpg
    Possibly the best player Ireland has ever produced. He will forever be known as "God" to all Aston Villa fans. When he played he made it look effortless. One of the best ever central defenders. I am delighted for him to be my rock at the back.
    Round 3
    Didier Drogba
    didier-drogba.jpg
    One of Soocer's finest athletes. Great in the air and with a fantastic goal scoring touch. Ge could of been a round one pick, as he is one of the best strikers to have played in the premiership.
    Round 4
    Ashley Young
    Ashley-Young_1122570.jpg
    One of the fastest players in the premiership, Young has pace to burn, great technical abilities, trickery to beat players, fantastic from the set piece and can score the more then occasional goal. On fire again this season, having won the player of the month twice already! Also Young can play on the left, right, up front or behind the front man, free role heaven.
    Round 5
    John Barnes
    _39881127_barnes270g.jpg
    It can be argued that Barnes was well past his best when he played in the premiership, that said he still played well over fifty games for a top four club at premiership level. His knowledge of the game along with his fantastic ability and the odd scorcher or too warrants him a place in midfield partnering Gerard.
    Round 6
    Graham Le Saux
    LeSaux.jpg
    Le Saux was one of the best defensive left backs in premiership history, good levels of aggression, great ethic and a fantastic footballer, no right wing in the premiership will have an easy time of it.
    Round 7
    Carlos Tevez
    Carlos_Tevez_Manchester_United_Premier_League_801193.jpg
    The Argentian terrier is one of the hardest workers in the premiership, he will most likely play off Drogba, moping up any loose play from the back foor and often dropping back into midfield to help out with shoring it up. A fantastic talent who scores important goals.
    Round 8
    Lauren
    lauren.jpg
    Taking his place at right back, Lauren is another defensive minded right back who does his job aggressively and in a technically good style. Himself and Le Saux might have opposition managers thinking that playing it down the wings is not the optimum play.
    Round 9
    Bryan Roy
    ss167.jpg
    Another speedster on the right wing. Roy was possibly the first premiership foreign star becoming a household name at Notts forrest. Like Young, Roy had serious gas, he could beat people and had a superb cross, Drogba would have loved to be playing with this dutch wonder.
    Round 10
    Jens Lehmann
    images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5CJens-Lehmann.jpg
    One of the best premiership keepers, FACT! My best value pick by a mile imo.
    Round 11
    Craig Short
    B684986F-947D-F4F6-5B1E478B72AB8650.jpg
    Fantastic defender, underrated both during his career and now. Himself and McGrath's playing style suit each other down to the ground, both are great in the air and aggressive in the tackle, but technically great at the same time.

summary
    I am happy with my team. If I did it all again I would make but two changes to my side. Barnes would be dropped with Gaz Baz taking his place and on the right I would have logged in earlier in the day and taked Pederson (that I think Roy and Pederson offer different things and am not entirely sure which man would have worked better with my side).
    It was good fun and once again I'd like to thank Lloyd for organising this and his tireless work.

See you all in the cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The Wildcats
    Wildcats-bunt-rund.gif

Team in order it was picked
    Peter Schmeichel
    Dion Dublin
    Lee Dixon
    Nicolas Anelka
    Nigel Winterburn
    Ray Parlour
    Lee Carsley
    Lucas Neill
    Jimmy Bullard
    José Antonio Reyes
    Ruel Fox

Schmeichel

Dixon
    Neill
    Winterburn

Carsley

Parlour
    Bullard

Fox
    Reyes

Anelka
    Dublin

Tactics

I've gone with the decision of having three at the back as I feel I have players who can handle this at the back. For me Dixon is the best right back the Premier League has seen and Winterburn is certainly up there with the likes of Irwin and Le Saux. Both of my fullbacks offer good options going forward (Dixon particularly), but won't make the mistake of over stretching themselves and both have the pace to get back if caught.

My inclusion of Lucas Neill is something a lot of people in the draft will view as a bad move. However there was only himself and one other CB who hadn't been picked at the time that I felt offered the athleticism needed to work with three at the back, which is the tactic I wanted. Neill has pace, strength, and most importantly for me, good tactical awareness. His positional sense is very good and I recognised this as something that would be very helpful.

Carsley is there to do exactly what Carsley does best. Shield the defense from balls coming through on top of them, collect the ball from the CB and lay it on to the two more creative players I have in midfield. He is good at breaking down play and I will ask no more of him.

Parlour and Bullard I picked because of their creativity. They can both give that spark that a team needs to get a goal.
    Bullard is a very underrated footballer imo. He's very skillful, has a great work ethic, and an absolute nutjob.
    I've chosen to play Parlour (also fondly remembered as 'The Romford Pele) in a more central role than he would have played in for a lot of his Arsenal days. This is because towards the end of his time at Arsenal he was beginning to play more in the middle of the park than on the right wing and it was then that I believe we saw some of Parlour's best football.
    A midfield pairing of Parlour and Bullard is very much something I'd like to see going forward. However both are never afraid of a hard graft and will certainly not shirk their defensive duties.

On the flanks I've really gone all out offensive.
    Fox is a very tricky winger who will be very hard to play against no matter how good of a full-back you are. His ability to go by players and get a ball in the box is outstanding and he is widely remembered as a great passer of the ball. With pace to burn he will be looking to catch opposition full-backs on their own and exploit their weaknesses.
    Reyes is similair but not as skillful as Fox. He relies more on speed and pure brawn to get him around defenders. He has a fantastic left foot and is equally adept at getting a good ball into the box. However he will be encouraged to shoot if he feels as he has scored some absolute dingers in his time.

Now onto my forwards. This is the part of my team I'm most happy with.
    Dublin and Anelka are an ideal combination for me.
    With quality crosses coming in from the likes of Fox and Reyes, Dublin and Anelka will score more than the lions share of goals as both are fantastic headers of the ball.
    Even balls pumped long from Parlour or Bullard, both of whom are good at deliveries, can be met by either with a mind to flick on to the other.
    With Dublin laying off balls for Anelka from long balls I can see my team scoring plenty of goals.
    Yes there has been questions over Anelka's mentality etc. however put him in a team that can get good ball to him and you will see he is a very clinical finisher and a consistent striker.
    Both of my strikers are members of the Premier League 100 Goals club so I don't think I'll have a problem coming across goals.

I have no real superstars in my team, the closest you could come to was Anelka. This was because I made the decision to go with a goalkeeper first. I don't regret this decision in the slightest. Yes it meant I missed out on one of the 'big' flair players. however of all the keepers in this draft Schmeichel and Seaman are head and shoulders above the rest. Yes many more were very good or decent keepers, but nowhere close to Peter or David. Schmeichel is the kind of keeper than will win you a game by himself.
    So because of this I decided to design my team as an actual team that I felt would work well together rather than a collection of individual superstars.
    The front four and one of either Parlour or Bullard will attack as a unit, and if they lsoe the ball all will defend as a unit. Dublin and Reyes in particular are two attackers who always showed good commitment in tracking their man back, something that is a big benefit in modern day football.

Corners Left: Jimmy Bullard
    Corners Right: Jimmy Bullard
    DFK Left: Jimmy Bullard
    DFK Right: José Antonio Reyes
    IFK Left: José Antonio Reyes
    IFK Right: Jimmy Bullard
    Penalties: Nicolas Anelka

Captain: Lee Dixon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Team Discovery Channel

Planning

I began by trawling through wikipedia pages, club websites and various other sources, compiling an excel database of around 500 players from virtually every club who have played in the premier league. I then went through every name quickly and rated them all out of ten (there were 27 tens) and sorted them by position. Two things became clear: 1. I was only going to get one or two world class players into my team, and i had to make them count, and 2. There was a real shortage of top-class attacking players beyond the elite few. So my strategy was a no-brainer. Build from the front. Apart from the fact that there are fewer quality attacking players, I believe that it would be possible to build a solid defence around 5 average players (as it turns out I wasn't left with 5 average defenders), but it would be far more difficult to score goals and create chances with a mediocre attack.

My picks (in order chosen)

1. Thierry Henry - Centre Forward - 254 premier league appearances
    My talisman and my captain. Phenomenal goal-scoring and goal creation record, and for me he's hands down the best attacking player the premier league has seen.

2. Steve McManaman - Right Wing / Free Role - 240 premier league appearances
    He has it all - pace, engine, workrate, ego, dribbling and most importantly - delivery. Only David Beckham has a better assists to games ratio in premier league history, and no other Liverpool player has created as many goals as Macca.

3. Damien Duff - Left Wing / Second Striker - 320 premier league appearances
    Damo will bring tremendous pace, the ability to beat players with ease, excellent workrate and tremendous versatility. Also a discount on Lucozade.

4. Dietmar Hamann - Defensive Midfielder - 268 premier league appearances
    Rock solid, reliable, hugely experienced in the PL. He'll protect my back four by breaking up play and set off attacks with his accurate passing. Also strikes an excellent dead ball.

5. Robbie Keane - Centre Forward - 292 premier league appearances
    I brought in Robbie because i think he'll complement Henry perfectly. Has wonderful movement, vision and works tirelessly for the team. Also has an excellent eye for goal.

6. Thomas Gravesen - Central Midfielder - 156 premier league appearances
    Again brought in as he'll complement Didi beautifully. Will bring much needed aggression, fight and determination to the engine room and he is much under-rated in an attacking sense. He'll create chances, support the attacks and chip in with the odd vital goal.

7. Rob Jones - Right Back - 155 premier league appearances
    Was my first choice right back from the start. Excellent all-round full-back. A very good defender and he loves to get forward and is good on the ball. He has also played a lot with McManaman so they should have plenty of chemistry on the right flank.

8. Stephane Henchoz – Centre Back – 233 premier league appearances
    One of the best tacklers I’ve seen in the premiership, Henchoz was a key member of Liverpool’s treble winning side in 2001. He boasts decent pace, he’s good in the air and has an invaluable knack of getting away with handballs in big matches.

9. John Beresford – Left Back – 179 premier league appearances
    Like Jones, Beresford is a fine all round player. Solid in defence and classy in attack he made his name as a pivotal member of Newcastle’s “entertainers.”

10. Alan Stubbs – Centre Back – 204 premier league appearances
    A tough battling centre-half, who showed his leadership skills in leading Bolton to a league cup final in the mid ninties. Can be relied on to organize the defense well and is excellent in the air.

11. Thomas Sorensen – Goalkeeper – 265 premier league appearances
    Hugely experienced premiership goalkeeper. Wonderful shot-stopper and good in all other areas. I couldn’t believe I got him in the 11th round.

The Formation(s)

Sorensen

Jones
    Stubbs
    Henchoz
    Beresford

McManaman
    Hamann
    Gravesen
    Duff

Keane
    Henry (c)

On paper it looks like your standard 442, but I see it slightly differently. The goalkeeper and back four are obvious, and Hamann will sit in front of them, only venturing forward on rare occasions. Gravesen will be the aggressor in midfield and will play box to box. These 7 will provide the team with excellent shape and solidity in defense.
    The front 4 will line up as they are in the formation above, but I will try and base our attacks fluency of movement, making good use of the versatility of all four players. So you could see us line up as above, or:

Duff
    McManaman
    Henry----

Keane

Or countless other variations. The opposition won’t know what to expect!

Defense

It is said that all great teams are built on a great defense. Built from the back. Not mine. But overall I’m absolutely delighted with how my back 5 panned out. I think I got great value from my last 5 picks. I honestly don’t see my team shipping too many goals.
    - My team is equipped to defend from the front. Keane, Duff, McManaman and Gravesen all have good engines and attitudes and will hassle and harass opponents on the ball high up the pitch. This, hopefully, will limit onslaughts against my defense.
    - All my attacking players are good on the ball. I’d expect to spend plenty of time in the opposition areas, again easing the pressure on my defense.
    - Didi Hamann. He has shown through his career, though particularly at Liverpool, that he is a super solid holding midfielder. He’ll sit, break up attacks, limit the space for the opposition’s creative players and play simple passes to start attacks.
    - Full backs. I think I have two of the most under-rated full-backs the premiership has seen. Both have good recovery pace to help the centre backs
    - Both centre-backs have lots of PL experience, both good readers of the game, good in the air and strong in the tackle. Neither is blessed with extraordinary pace, but make up for it with their strong positional sense.

Midfield

I’m very happy with my balance in this area. Hamann will have a calming influence on the whole team. Slowing the pace down when we are under pressure, laying it off to another player when we are starting attacks. Gravesen will be the opposite. Full of energy, making tackles and getting up and down the pitch. He will be vital both defensively and offensively to my team. Both midfielders are adept at winning back and maintaining possession and I feel confident that they won’t be over-run or dominated by even the stronger midfields they will come up against. Robbie will, of course, drop back to lend a helping hand when needed.

Attack

This is the area of the team I’m most pleased about.
    - Jones and Beresford both have the will and the ability to get forward whenever they see the opportunity. Both are strong crossing on their respective flanks when they get past their winger. Both have the legs to beat their opposite player. Both are classy enough on the ball to pick out a player further infield when there is nothing else on ahead of them.
    - McManaman I see as the main creative force in my team. He is an assist machine. His starting position will always be the right flank, but I envisage him often roaming infield with the ball, swapping flanks with Duff, or even playing through the middle behind Keane, with Henry drifting wide.
    - Duff. Another versatile attacking threat. Experience on both flanks and up front for his country. I won’t shackle him the way Mourinho did at Chelsea. He’ll be allowed to express himself, hopefully showing the kind of devastating form that saw him light up the 2002 world cup.
    - Keane. An important link man between defense and attack. His vision will hopefully see him set up Henry for countless chances, and his movement is excellent so he’ll make himself space for the wingers to find him in. He’ll play a pivotal role in my side. I expect him to lead the line on occasions (don’t worry, there’ll be no long balls up to him), but more often to drop deep, link up with the wingers, play one twos with Gravesen when he advances forward. And of course, chip in with some goals.
    - Henry. My brother. My captain. My king. Undoubtedly my most important player. As an attacker he has everything. He has the movement to wait up top for a through ball, the intelligence to find space out wide and terrify full-backs and most importantly, he loves scoring goals. I expect chances to be many in my side. I think he’ll relish the attacking system I’ll play. As attacking as Arsenal were, but hopefully more clinical and direct. Like my other attacking players he’ll have the freedom to use his versatility. Dropping deep, drifting wide etc . . .

Overall

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with the way the draft has gone. At the start of this process, I set out what my dream side would be. Once I had decided on Henry as a first pick I tweaked this side, omitting obviously unrealistic players like Keane, Viera etc. In the end I managed to get three of them (Henry, McManaman and Jones). All of the players I picked were fairly high on my shortlists, and many of them became first choices after a couple of rounds. I’ll finish by analyzing my teams main strengths and potential weaknesses (and more importantly how I’ll overcome them):

Strengths –
    - I believe I have the best attacking options out of all the teams in the draft. I love the balance of my attack. Two wingers, two overlapping attacking fullbacks. An intelligent linking striker and the best forward in premier league history.
    - Experience. When I saw other teams including players with 40 or so appearances I knew I’d have an edge in this department. All my players have more than 150 premier league appearances between them. On average each of them has played 233 times in the league. I believe this is very important and I doubt many teams are as experienced.

Weaknesses

- My central defenders could be said to lack pace. There were certainly quicker full backs out there for me to choose, but I’m happy with Henchoz and Stubbs. The fullbacks both have the pace to help them out, Hamann will work tirelessly to protect them and they are both intelligent enough to position themselves in the right areas to snuff out threats.
    - There have been doubts expressed over Henry’s captaincy in the past, but to defend him I think he is the right choice for my team. He will lead by terrific example and unlike at Arsenal he won’t be leading a team of kids, rather a side full of experienced premier league players.

Team Name:Team Discovery Channel
    Captain: Thierry Henry
    Free Kicks: Thierry Henry, Didi Hamann
    Corners: Duffer, Macca
    Penalties: Thierry Henry

Finally, I’d like to thank Lloyd for all his effort in putting all of this together. It really has been great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pick 01 - Ruud Van Nisteelroy
    Pick 02 - Frank Lampard
    Pick 03 - Andrie Kanchelskis
    Pick 04 - Kolo Toure
    Pick 05 - Xabi Alonso
    Pick 06 - Mikel Arteta
    Pick 07 - Sylvan Distin
    Pick 08 - Obafemi Martins
    Pick 09 - Joleen Lescott
    Pick 10 - Pascal Chimbonda
    Pick 11 - Tim Howard

Team Name - Drenai FC.
    Captain - Lampard
    Free Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Corner Kicks - Arteta, Lampard.
    Penalties - Lampard.

Tim Howard.

Voted Premiership 'Keeper of the Year in his first season with United. In his time at Everton, he has established himself as the first choice keeper in a team that has performed very well over his time with them, and I think he has been a big reason for that. Got him as my last pick, so I was delighted to have a keeper of his class available at that stage.

Pascal Chimbonda.

Another player who has been very impressive when he has played in the premiership, and another player to be voted as the best in his position - voted premiership right back of the season in his debut season with Wigan. Fast and strong, good going forward with the ball. A solid and top right back.

Joleen Lescott.

An absolute star for Everton over the last few seasons. Strong defensively, solid going forward and a very dependable goal scoring threat from set pieces. As far as left backs go, I'll admit he is not world class, but he is a damned fine choice, and a damned fine player. I don't think there will be any wingers that will have the ability to dominate him, and he will force them back up the pitch themselves.

Kolo Toure

The first of my centre backs. Strong, fast, good on the ball and not afraid to move forward with it. A solid central defender, who has been rated as among the best in the world during his career at Arsenal. With him at the back, along with his defensive partner, no one is going to be beating my team pace, and we'll go toe to toe with them for power too.

Sylvan Distin

Another big, fast, strong centre back. A massive player for Newcastle, City and Portsmouth in his time win the premiership. Recently named vice-captain at Pompey, so has definate leadership qualities which i think is important.

Xabi Alonso

Probably the most defensive of my midfielders, which isn't too great i'll admit. However, he is a top player, and on his day one of the very best central midfielders in world football. A great passer, with great vision, and quality with set pieces. Great positional play as well and not afraid to tackle either. Was delighted to get him into central midfield.

Mikel Arteta

Again, another great midfielder, a great passer and creative force and a great goal threat, from open play and set pieces. A massive reason for the recent success of Everton (along with Howard and Lescott). Can play centrally and left sided, so offers me a bit of variety in my midfield deployment, which was a reason for going for him. Has won the Everton Players Player, and Fan player of the year awards, so his quality should be undoubted.

Frank Lampard

Frank gets me goals - there can be no argument about that. 80 goals and counting for Chelsea, and there are his assists too. Leadership qualities also, so i think he is a very good pick.

Andrie Kanchelskis.

A bit of a 'heart' pick - one of my favourite ever players. Lightening quick and and a goal threat - 50 premiership goals, and Uniteds leading goal scorer in the 94/95 season. Goals, assists and frightening pace for swift and deadly counter attacks.

Obafemi Martins.

Another player bringing undoubtable power and pace to my side. A quality striking partner for my main striker; with a 1 in 3 strike rate for Newcastle. Gives me the option of putting the ball over the top for him to chase, as i don't think there is a defender who will beat him to the ball, and another player adding to my counter attacking ability with Kanchelskis.

Ruud van Nistlerooy.

My first pick, and one i was delighted with. A premeership goal scoring king - hammering in 23 premiership goals in his debut season, his first full season after injury. Followed this up with 25 prem goals the next season, 20 the following season, then 6 (in a season ruined by injury) and 21 in his final season. 95 prem goals in 5 seasons (with one ruined by injury), and another 14 FA Cup goals in 14 appearances. A player i think would thrive on the service he would get from my midfield.

Formation.

With the players I have, i think i can succesfully go 442, 433 attacking of 451 defensive. Attack being the best form of defence; my team will be one of the best on possession of ball, some great passers in midfield and a defence not afraid to actually lose the ball. In Ruud, I have a striker my team can play to and off in any of those formations. Martins can drop out wide to the left offering a pacey outlet down the left to mirror Kanchelskis on the right, giving my team possibly the best counter attack in the game, and the ability to streatch the opposition down both flanks and get in behind. Chimbonda and Lescott down each side offer more width on each side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Right, seen as my impromptu ban is up what better way to return than by completing my write-up for the draft. Apologies to all for the delay, but I was on holiday and then only back a couple of days before I was banned.

The Bottlers

Without further ado, let's get into it. I'll start by saying that my team was picked with the objectives of the draft in mind that is to say “impact on the premiership” so I had discounted the likes of Torres, Young, Sagna etc before I even started to think about who would be in my team, simply because while they are undoubtably talented their impact has been minimal by virtue of the limited time they have spent to date actually playing in the premiership.

My first pick was David Beckham, while he doesn't really need justification the fact is he is the best supplier of a ball of his generation. That he has now played for United, Madrid and AC Milan as well as 107 appearances (to date) for his country and captaining them for 58 of those games over 6 years speaks volumes about his ability and influence within a club. He was instrumental in lifting United out of the dark years and has the ability to land a ball within a 2 yard area from 60 yards away, his delivery and set plays will be invaluable in games and with 265 appearances, 152 assists & 62 goals in the premier league is right up there with the best players to ever compete.

My second pick was Andy Cole a phoneonomal goalscorer who scored for fun everywhere he went. Started his premier league career at Newcastle where he smashed in an incredible 55 goals in 70 games. This prompted a big money move to Manchester United where he became an integral part of a side that won a double and then followed that up with a treble a couple of years later. Along the way he scored 93 goals in 195 appearances before being transferred to Blackburn Rovers he also had brief spells with Fulham & Manchester City before moving out of the premier league altogether. The second highest goalscorer in premier league history with 414 appearances, 189 goals & 135 assists any team with him is going to be a significant attacking threat.

Having picked two of the best attacking players to grace the premiership, defence was very much next on the agenda. I was delighted to get Jamie Carragher who is one of the most consistent, tough tackling, organising centre backs to have played in the premier league. Alongside Gerrard he has been an almost ever present for Liverpool over the last 10+ years and is key to any success they have had in that period. He has made 382 appearances to date in the premier league and holds their record for European appearances as well as being in their top 10 appearance list of all time. He's still only 30 and is only now approaching his peak years as a footballer, a thorough professional through and through.

After watching a run on keepers, and obviously missing out on the best keeper in the pick I went for Jose Reina as my next pick. Another stand out performer in the premier league and one of the best keepers to play there. He holds a whole stack of goalkeeping records for Liverpool and has won the golden gloves trophy for clean sheets 3 years in a row. While I agree with those who say that it's not simply an award for a goalkeeper, the fact that I have Carragher in front of him can only help the cause.

Having sorted out the backbone of my defence I needed to look at my attacking options again, and when you have someone as quick and lethal as Andy Cole up front you need to find a partner that can build on his strengths and help to overcome his weaknesses. With that in mind Emile Heskey became my next pick, a big bustling striker who can hold the ball up and lay it off behind to Cole.he also gives me a big physical presence for set piece situations which are a vital part of any game. Heskey has made 424 appearances to date, chipping in with 102 goals as well as 92 assists. Another player who provides an attacking threat that defences will struggle to deal with. Plus his middle name is Ivanhoe and that's far too cool not to be included in my team :D

So defensive backbone...check.
    Attacking threats....check.

What next, well a lot of games are won and lost in the centre of the park, I needed someone with a bit of steel who could go in there and break up play allowing my more creative players to punish mistakes from there. With that in mind I chose Nicky Butt another player that never really stood out to the media but who Alex Ferguson saw as a vital part of his team. Broke into the United team at just 18 and made the centre midfield spot his own over the next 6 years before Paul Scholes stepped to the fore. Steeped in premier league experience with 10 trophies to his name as well as 397 appearances, 29 goals and 50 assists shows he can produce on an attacking as well as defending front.

My next pick is the very definition of rock and has had a huge impact whereever he has played. With the formation I intend playing it was vital that I got a really strong DM to anchor my midfield, with George Boateng I believe I found that player. Hugely effective at breaking down attacks and blocking the attacking midfielders we'll be up against he's one of the best at what he does. With 348 appearances and even a few goals and assists (16 & 27 respectively) thrown in I'm confident that he will provide a good shield for my back line and help Butt control the centre of the park.

My next pick was defensive minded, and I was looking for someone who had proven premier league pedigree as well as an ability to withstand pressure. With that in mind I was delighted to get David Unsworth another player with a huge amount of premier league experience having played for 4 teams in the premier league and been a regular with all four. Although a defender he has scored a fair share of goals including a penalty that kept Wigan Athletic in the premier league. Known as Rhino to his fans he 's strong in the tackle and in the air but is a lot quicker than his size would have you believe. In total he made 364 appearances with 38 goals and 35 assists throughout his career.

The left hand side of midfield is a really difficult position to fill. There have only been 2-3 truly world class players in that position in the premier league. With Steed Malbranque I have one of the next tier of players down from those. Consistent if flamboyant and with a pretty decent work-rate and ethos, he will provide a real threat down the left hand side of my midfield. He offers me a different type of attacking option than Beckham on the right and will deliver a good return on goals and assists during this competion. With 262 premier league appearances to date, including 39 goals and 76 assists he is a real and credible threat on the left hand flank.

To complete my defence I chose Steve Watson, professionalism personified I was shocked that he was still available at the late stage that I picked him but absolutely delighted he was. Watson played 351 times in the premier league and is another defender who knows how to find the oppositions net with 26 goals and 32 assists in that time. He's currently playing with Sheff Wed, when he joined them they had lost their previous 5 games in a row. In their next 11 games they lost 1, won 6 and drew 4 showing his immediate influence on the team and shoring up their back line.

To complete my team I decided to go for someone who can contribute in both an attacking and defending capacity and offer me a little creativity through the middle. An understated component of Wimbledon and Liverpool sides in the late 90's-early 00's Oyvind Leonhardsen played 86 times for Norway scoring 19 goals. In the premier league he made 186 appearances, scoring 30 goals and being credited with 34 assists.

I'm going to set up a 3-1-4-2 Formation to start with but I could very easily turn that into a 5-3-2 or 4-4-2 formation if and when required. The players I've picked have offered me versatility as well as experience and allow for a lot of changing to suit the game in question.

I'm also spoiled for choice in terms of Captains with no less than 5 players who were captain of their respective teams at various stages. I'm going to go with Carragher though as I like my captain to play at centre back where possible and I'll be relying on him to organise my defence in any case.

Needless to say Beckham & Malbranque will split the free kicks and corners between them with Beckham having first shout.

......................Reina.............................

.....Watson.......Carragher.........Unsworth

........................Boateng.........................

....Beckham.......Leonhardsen........Butt.......Malbranque

...............Cole........Heskey

Team Awards (cumulative):
    Premier League titles 17
    FA Cups 12
    Champions League 4
    UEFA Cup 2
    League Cup 9

Individual Awards) :
    PFA Young Player of the Year 2
    World Cup Team of the Tournament 1
    UEFA Club Player of the Year 1
    World Player of the Year Runner Up 1
    PFA Team of the Year 1
    Premier League Golden Gloves 3

Premier League Only (cumulative):
    Appearances 3540
    Assists 657
    Goals 534
    Clean Sheets (Gk only) 69 in 128 appearances

Premier League Only (average)
    Appearances 322
    Assists 60
    Goals 48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

To begin, I wish to recap how each pick fared in terms of relative value. This is an element of the process that I felt was misunderstood by some of the participants. Yes, we are drafting a team and need to keep an eye at all times on how things will fit together in the end. However, that is only half the battle as far as running a good draft is concerned. Part of the objective
    (and especially in the early rounds) is to make sure that you are taking close to the best player available with your picks; and if you are going to select at an individual position irrespective of BPA concerns, your aim should be to take the best player remaining for that position at that time.

With that in mind, let's recap how I drafted in order from one through to eleven...

Value Assessment:

Patrick_Vieira-newkit.jpg

I think Vieira was sick, sick value where he went. If we were to repeat this process or if there was a version of this process done elsewhere I contend that Vieira is a top five - ten pick most of the time.

Marcel_Desailly.jpg

Desailly is ok value at this spot imo. By taking him at this spot, he went as the seventh defender chosen overall. That sounds fair enough to me. He was a player I wanted, and if I didn't take him there he wasn't going to be around for my next pick.

ginola_david.jpg

When I originally participated in a Premiership draft on 2 + 2, Ginola was selected 22nd overall. I took him at 55 here. Now, a player like him is difficult to approximate in terms of overall value because of the inconsistent nature of his career. But the Premiership has seen very few players like him since it's inception - very few players have passed through with his type of upside and ability to make things happen out of thin air. Given the solid base I had established with my first two picks, I think I was able to go flair here - and if I am going for a flamboyant attacking option he was definitely the best option remaining on the board at that point.

Brad_Friedel_830293.jpg

Friedel was the 10th goalkeeper selected. Enough said in terms of good value!

harry_kewell_narrowweb__300x377,0.jpg

I selected Kewell at 114 overall, 21 picks after Ashley Young; 34 picks after Damien Duff; and 57 picks after Freddy Ljunberg had gone off the board. I can live with the relative value I'm getting here.

chris-sutton-old-rover.jpg

If people can remember (how could I forget after all!), the merits of this pick were attacked by some. I am confident that I proved beyond a reasonable doubt statistically that for the clear majority of his career Sutton was a prolific goal scorer. And we all know how good of a war horse up front he is outside of the stats. Again though, in terms of relative value I can only be happy - given that I took Sutton as the 32nd forward to go, after the likes of Yakubu and Saha.

Steve_Finnan868169.jpg

Delighted with this pick. 7th RB chosen and 151 overall, when he has to be somewhere in the top five in his position over the history of the premiership. Another way to look at it: Dan Petrescu was selected at 59 and Gary Kelly went at 118.

_41155285_des203.jpg

Des Walker in round 8 is obviously good value.

_1896444_hinchy300.jpg

Hinchcliffe at 210 is kinda meh. He was always going to be drafted somewhere in the last three rounds. I would have liked to wait until round 10 as far as overall BPA value is concerned - but considering the left backs still around at that point (and the teams who still had to fill out that position) I think I needed to snag him here.

djorkaeff_youri_brfc_profile_2004.jpg

Getting Youri here isn't exceptional value. He was a player I wanted, and one I definitely think should have been drafted and given that I knew who my last pick was going to be and that he would definitely would be available in the last round this is fine.

t1_mcbride.jpg

At this point, there were possibly a few strikers still about with better stats - but none of those players could hold a candle to the overall contribution that Big Brian will lend a team. Plus, given the quality I have out wide and his ability in the air - I felt it reasonable to believe he would score more in this team as he would be receiving much, much better service than that provided to him during his time at Fulham.

So overall, I think my first eight picks were very good to excellent in terms of relative value. And the last three weren't bad value. As such, I was happy with how I drafted in a vacuum.

Formation:

Friedel

Finnan
    Walker
    Desailly
    Hinchcliffe

Vieira

Ginola
    Djorkaeff
    Kewell

Sutton
    McBride (C)

Balance. That's what I like about the above group.

In terms of the overall, the team is anchored solidly by the combination of a strong center back pairing working in tandem with a World - Class defensive midfielder and exceptional goalkeeper infront and behind. This solid base allows the luxury of three lightweight creative players in the form of Ginola, Djorkaeff and Kewell - as Djorkaeff is covered by Vieira, Ginola by Finnan, and Kewell by Hinchcliffe. On the flip side of that coin - each of Vieira, Finnan and Hinchcliffe are capable of taking good forward positions and aiding / taking advantage of the threat posed by the pure attackers. McBride and Sutton are clever players who move well off the ball and will make decent runs / take up good positions to help provide options for Djorkaeff / Vieira playing through the middle or the wide players getting to the byline to swing it in. The overall effect will test all aspects of an opposing defense:

- Ginola and Kewell will threaten with pace, ability to beat players and get to the byline and cross;
    - When Sutton and McBride pose a dynamic physical prescense in the box and will be able to make strong cuts to the ball in the air;
    - Or if Kewell or Ginola are shown inside they have the ability to shoot well from distance or link off the strikers (McBride in particular) or Djorkaeff;
    - And if a defense gets stretched wide or high Djorkaeff and Vieira are players who will be able to make good late runs and deliver a cutting edge in the opponents box;

I will concede that the one part of the lineup that isn't supremely balanced is the strike partnership. Neither of McBride or Sutton possess world class pace or the ability to get the ball down and beat one or two players in this league. However, given that Ginola and Kewell will be operating high up the pitch - the attack as a whole will be well balanced. Clever and strong through the center, dynamic and fast out wide.

Mentally, much will be made of the unreliability and flakiness of the likes of Kewell and Ginola. I think we will get the best out of them on this team though - because of the strength of character of those around them. Friedel, Desailly, Vieira, Djorkaeff and McBride provide a great leadership spine - model professionals who will inspire through word and deed on the pitch, and help to foster a good atmosphere in the dressing room. The likes of Finnan, Hinhcliffe, Walker and Sutton are good honest pros who will work very hard by default. Is Ginola going to sulk when he has three countrymen on the team who work their balls off and can point to numerous medals and awards earned throughout their career? Are we going to see the worst of Kewell when he isn't the biggest star on show on this team and he's got a great group working their asses off around them? Maybe - but I have to think that if we were ever to see them at their most dedicated, it would be while playing in this team.

Tactical Flexibility:

For me, writing about my default strategy or way of playing is fairly redundant. In a cup format against teams that also have exceptional players any idea that you can simply have the one gameplan and ignore the specific threats posed by the opposition is folly. Instead, I think the question is how many of the bases can your eleven cover?

With the Ball:

Sutton and McBride provide a great first outlet. They will tirelessley run the channels and are both adept at battling for the hopeful ball and holding it up before bringing oncoming support into play. On top of that Ginola and Kewell are the types to get high up the pitch quickly to feed off and support the strikers if they have to be hit early. As such, the combination of strength and guile in the middle and pace out wide means that we will be able to counter attack and break quickly and directly. We carry a quick strike threat.

If a team sits off us, Desailly is an above average user of the ball from the back; Vieira and Djorkaeff will make good use of possession; and Finnan and Hinchcliffe are decent crossers and long range passers. There is no reason to think that we will be unable to hold the ball for stretches and wait for things to develop up the pitch. Then, in terms of making things happen up top, we obviously will have the quality out wide to test a team that packs the center. And if a team is weak through the middle, Djorkaeff / McBride / Sutton should be good enough to make it happen. Furthermore, we can employ all passing styles - direct to the strikers or with raking balls down the flanks for Kewell and Ginola to run onto. Or a more ponderous approach working off Djorkaeff as a link in the middle.

Whatever the team, I think that we will be able to look at them and see ways in which chances can be created.

Without the Ball:

Starting with the goalkeeper, Friedel is an excellent shot stopper who is also good against high balls. He rarely makes errors and is a commanding presence at the back who will keep up a high level of chat to those defending infront of him. Having a solid guy behind a backline inspires confidence. And when that guy will additionally make great blocks that he has no right to make - the overall effect is essentially that of a 'get of jail free' card.

Desailly and Walker amount to a great all round pairing. First and foremost they read the game well and take up excellent defensive positions. They have top end pace and acceleration, and are well able to make well timed and effective tackles. Obviously they are very solid in the air. And finally, they have that extra 'X factor' for players in their position - they are brave and determined individuals who will strive to make the heroic block or last ditch interception.

On either side, Finnan and Hinchcliffe are good defenders. Finnan especially is a great cover fullback. He is constantly alert and switched on and has a good eye for when to come inside and help out the center backs / pick up a loose player in a broken passage of play, etc. Hinchcliffe is an old school English defender - he will not be one to negate defensive responsibilities or shirk from sticking his body on the line when required.

So we have a good goalkeeper and backline, but what sticks this team over the top defensively is having the physical beast that is Vieira mopping things up infront of them. A phenomenal athlete with a great understanding of the game and a spikey personality - Patch provides world class protection for this team.

Up the pitch, McBride and Sutton are the type of players to really harass and press opposing backlines. Teams are not going to find it easy to build slowly from the back, and errors in execution from deep lying players in possession will be forced and punished by my strikers.

The weakness of this team therefore is the lightweight trio of Djorkaeff, Ginola and Kewell. Djorkaeff tries very hard, and won't sell the team short because of effort. As noted earlier, I can only believe that Ginola and Kewell will be in an environment that spurs them to work their hardest. Even then, they are not going to be great tacklers or defenders in the air. The players around them more than make up for that though - once they don't entirely switch off and give up on marking assignments / not run back and harry players etc, etc. I'm banking that they won't.

Hanging on / Going all out

If I'm holding onto a lead, Sutton's ability to play center back and Desailly's previous time as a defensive center mid is useful:

Friedel

Finnan
    Sutton
    Walker
    Hinhcliffe

Desailly
    Vieira

Ginola
    Djorkaeff
    Kewell

McBride

And if we're really desperate, you can leave Kewell and Ginola all the way up there with the two fullbacks pushed up - as the pace and athleticism of Desailly and Walker is such that they won't completely crumble for a short period. Plus, if you are lumping it late on - McBride and Sutton are kinda ideal. Particularly with a clever player with good technique when striking the ball in Djorkaeff to be in and around the edge of the box to pounce.

Setpieces:

This is a definite strength of the team imo. Djorkaeff and Hinchcliffe are great strikers of a dead ball - with Kewell and Ginola not being too shabby. We have great height and ability in the air throughout the team, with the five of Walker, Desailly, Vieira, McBride and of course Sutton being an asset in defending or attacking corner kicks and set pieces.

As far as penalties are concerned, Djorkaeff or Vieira will be well able to take them.

Conclusion:

Whether this team is the best or not is for others to decide. I think we'll be able to compete against everyone, and I won't fear matching up with anyone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Probably should of done this sooner so that the reasoning behind my picks was somewhat fresher in my mind.

Phillips

Rooney
    Pederson
    Bentley
    Fabregas---Flamini

Riise---Hreidarasson--- Yobo ---- G. Kelly

Cech

Pick 1)
    wayne+rooney_855_18295341_0_0_7005137_300.jpg
    As I was near the end of the first round draft nearly all of the unique players had been taken. I was delighted to be able to draft Wayne Rooney as my first pick. While Ronaldo has gotten all the plaudits I still think Rooney is more integral to the current united team than ronaldo. While he may not be as athlethic he is certianly a better footballer and the type of player that if he does lose a yard of pace it wont effect him too much. He doesnt score as many or create as many but offers a much more overall performance with his tracking back and willingness to graft and do the boring stuff. He is also capable of the truly sublime like his wonder goal agaisnt newcastle. He can link the play for me and yet is still big and strong enough to hold up the ball for my advancing midfielders.

Pick 2)
    Cesc_Fabregas_383809a.jpg

Yet again I had the chance to draft a truly unique player. Cesc had to step up and become a regular with the departure of Viera. He did that and has shown himself to be a special player in his own right. He has an unique vision for seeing space and has the passing ability to match this. If there were any doubts about him it was that he doesnt shoot enough. He addressed this at the start of last season and was integrale to arsenal scoring goals for fun at the start of the year.

Pick 3)
    petr-cech-save.jpg

By the time round 3 came along i felt i had the chance of being one fot he best teams int he draft with my first 2 players chosen. Unfortunatly i was going to have a long time to wait after makign my round 3 pick. It was with that in my mind I decided to go for the best goalkeeper left and probably the only one who if he didnt get injured could of been considered in the same league as Seamen and the great dane. Cech was immense pre scrum cap days and holds the record for clean sheets in a season and held the record for amount of time without conceeding. He is head and shoulders above the other goal keepers left in the draft at that time and i was glad i chose him.

Pick 4)
    _39869562_phillips_gi300x300.jpg

At the time I was considering a wide variety of players and positions but in the end I went for the one who I thought would compliment my attack the best. While others have gone for big strong centre forwards I want my team to be all about pace and guile,(listening to dunphy too much I think). No doubt there were strikers available later on that offered a goal every 2 games but I tihnk that of the ones left Phillips complimented my team better than anyone else. He is best remembered for his sunderland days where he scored 115 in 208 games. In his first season in the premiership he was insanely good scoring 30 that year and winning the european golden boot. He continued this form for the first half of the next season but while the amount he scored dropped a little his over all work rate increased a lot. He fitted the mould of players workign hard, tracking back and breaking forward at pace. With Rooney just off him and Cesc behiond the two of them I think i have a creative platform to score goals agaisnt any defence.

Pick 5)
    kelly.jpg

Byt he time round 5 came along i was in two minds as to who draft. I wanted to add David Batty to the midfield but he was taken so that meant i started looking to starting on my defence. I was going to have the chance to pick 2 players in quick sucession and as with all my other picks I have gone for players that would compliment each other. It was with that in mind that I decided to fill in my two full back positions. First up was Gary Kelly. He was the model of consistency andyou knew what you were getting from him. I felt that he was the best right back left in the draft as well and i chose him for his more defensive abilities as I wanted my right back to be a much more potent attacking force.

Pick 6)
    John_Arne_Riise_812213.jpg

as i said i wanted to pick two full backs with ym two choices. On the left I went for Riise becasue he is one fo the best left backs to have ever graced the premiership. Both his attacking and defensive ability in the first few seasons he played for Liverpool were of the highest calibre. He scored spectacular goals for fun and will be a constant threat down the flank for me. His attacking tendancies also meant that i was afforded the chance to go for a more defensive left sided player if needs be.

Pick 7)
    getfile.aspx?itemid=50267&proc=2

With over 100 appearances in an arsenal shirt it was not until he was paired up consistently with Cesc in the middle of the park that we saw the best of him. The two of them together formed the best central midfield partnership in the premiership last season and he clearly brought out the best in Cesc as his form and arsenal's form as a whole has dipped since his departure to Milan. He is tough, mobile and willing to get stuck in. He will offer protection for my defence when cesc and the wingers move forward and will be ale to stop most creative attacking midfielders tryin to play through the centre. The key reason why I chose him was to let Cesc flourish and with him producing his best then I happy if Flamini never ventures past the half way line

Pick 8)
    Hreidarsson_H-05.jpg

Thinking back now I am a little dissapointed I went for him as there could of been value had in choosing other positions. I needed a strong central defender which is why I went for Hreidarsson. He offered me a flexability as he also plays left back so if I was unable to get a left mid I could move Riise there and he can slot in. He has played over 100 games for two different clubs in Ipswich and Charlton and is athlethic, good in the air and quick. He will do a job for me and should recieve support from my full backs and central midfielders.

Pick 9)
    morten_gamst_pedersen.jpg

When choosing this pick I felt that there were less left sided wingers available than any of the other positions left that I needed filling. It was with that in mind that i settled for a left mid and immediately Pederson came to mind. He has played 185 games for Blackburn scoring 32 and creating 37 but like all my other players he is athlethic and has a knack of scoring spectacular goals.

Pick 10)
    davidbentley.jpg

On the right side of my midfield I have gone for David Bentley. He is quick, good with the ball at his feet and like Pederson scores the spectacular goals. He will have Kelly playing behind so if he does not track back as much as I would like it shouln't cause the team too many problems. He is also the first player in the history of the premier league to score 3 goals against united.

Pick 11)
    YO.jpg

When deciding on my last pick I tried to think of someone who would work with the team and not just the individual. My team is lacking in height so it was critical i got someone over 6 foot tall in the team. Like all my other picks i have gone for someone with pace and thats why I chose Yobo. He can chip in with a few goals a season and is dependable if not spectacular which is what I want from my centre back pairing.

Now that the players write ups are done I will move onto the team itself.

The whole time while choosing players I wanted a few things from the players. Uniqueness, compatability and pace. With Rooney and Fabregas running the show for me I will two of the best players currently playing in the one team and two that would compliment each other spectacularily. Their ability will mean that Phillips will have lots of support and will be provided with lots of opportunities to show his goal scoring prowess. If he can have another 30 goal season then I should have no problem scoring lots of goals with my midfield chipping in as well.

I think that pace over strength is much better to have when we are talking about the history of the premiership as a lot of the solid dependable centre backs from the early seasons are lacking in it. My attack should be able to get in behind most defences and one of the key reasons for this is the fact that my team can score spectacular goals from all over. With Bentley and Pederson on the wings and Riise attacking on the left, midfields and defences will have to mark these 3 in particular very closely as they are capable of scoring from anywhere. It is this space which will be created by the 3 guys that i hope my central figures can exploit and if they are not marked closely enough then no doubt my team will be winnign goal of the week/month most months with 40 yard screamers.

My defence is somewhat weak which is why I chose Flamini, as well as being the perfect foil for Fabregas he will sit in front of my back two and protect them as best he can. He should be able to pick up most attacking midfielders adn will be able to offload the ball to the more creative players in the team.

I will be looking for support from my two full backs who I think compliment my wingers perfectly. If Riise gets forward then Pedersen will track back and when Bentley gets forward he can be assured than Kelly hasnt gone missing and will be covering in case he loses the ball.

In goals I have one of the ebst goalkeepers to ever grace the premiership and he will be dependable and solid and with his command of the area plus the special treatment he gets from the refs will mean that he will be an adequete substitute for my lack of height when defending corners and free etc's.

My team will be an attacking one primarily but nearly all of the players are capable of tracking back if needs be. They will attack at pace and we will try to hold onto the ball as much as possible.

Overall I think i have a team good enough to win games and score goals aqnd while defences may win cups its goals that win games and win leagues

Advertisement