Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

• 22-10-2008 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from this signup thread, this thread will serve as a place to discuss picks made here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57654381#post57654381

Please post picks in that thread and nothing else.

I'll stick the order up again:

Frisbee
    Wreck
    whatawaster
    eagle eye
    Mr.Nice Guy
    wardie
    gonzovision
    Xavi6
    Tauren
    titan18
    janets on clubs
    NekkidBibleMan
    Necronomicon
    Eirebear
    Bubs101
    Melion
    Iago
    LuckyLloyd
    bohsman
    ditpoker
    shoutman
    Trippie
    mayordenis
    RasTa

The poker players amongst us ran kind of bad in it! :)

So away we go, I will PM Frisbee now to inform him that it is his turn. Enjoy.

Endgame Knockout Stages:

Round 1 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good stuff. I have a few names in mind. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Aye, me too. I'm sure many will be snapped up very quickly, so I'll have to start thinking of more obscure choices too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I've PM'd Frisbee so he'll know it is his turn when he logs on tomorrow. If I had to guess, he's gone to bed. Not to worry, I'm sure we'll go through a few picks in the morning / afternoons.

Also, I've PM'd PHB to request that he sticky the picks thread at the top of the forum. I'm sure he'll do that when he logs on next.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just a silly little questions - but i'll ask anyway maybe some others want to know - do you eleven choices have to fit a 4-4-2 or can we work within the paramaters of some of the other major formations?

and 2nd last for me hmm this my list could be whittled down quite quickly.

mayordenis wrote: »
    just a silly little questions - but i'll ask anyway maybe some others want to know - do you eleven choices have to fit a 4-4-2 or can we work within the paramaters of some of the other major formations?

and 2nd last for me hmm this my list could be whittled down quite quickly.

Any formation you like. You can channel Ossie Ardilles and play five upfront if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

264 picks overall. There's gonna be some very average players on these teams.

I've 3rd pick which seemed great at first. But rounds 2 and 3 will be tough.

can't wait to get started. I have a 3-man initial shortlist. So i'll get one player i want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

When we nominate do we give reasons why in that thread or just say the name?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    When we nominate do we give reasons why in that thread or just say the name?
    It's better if you stick a photo up and justify your pick. Talk about the player's career achievements and explain what makes him tick as a footballer.

Example of the kind of write ups I'm thinking of:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/46/sporting-events/nfl-modern-era-draft-draft-picks-only-thread-314615/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's better if you stick a photo up and justify your pick. Talk about the player's career achievements and explain what makes him tick as a footballer.

Example of the kind of write ups I'm thinking of:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/46/sporting-events/nfl-modern-era-draft-draft-picks-only-thread-314615/
    Jaysus, haven't been on 2p2 for a couple of weeks, would have loved to have been in that.
    Do we have to pick a year in this one or just a player. I'd prefer to just pick a player and not one year of his career.
    Off topic I was surprised with your first pick in that by the way, would have been a QB for me and one of the first three picked.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Jaysus, haven't been on 2p2 for a couple of weeks, would have loved to have been in that.
    Do we have to pick a year in this one or just a player. I'd prefer to just pick a player and not one year of his career.
    Off topic I was surprised with your first pick in that by the way, would have been a QB for me and one of the first three picked.

Just pick the player - you can decide how best to defend his body of work in the premiership yourself.

OT: I got good feedback for the pick. Taylor was head and shoulders the best defensive player available and I felt that the jump between QB no.1 and no.32 is something that is way overrated. If you put a good line, running game and defense together the likes of Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer can win a superbowl for ya - and QB 32 is going to be >>>>>>>>>> either of those players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The poker players amongst us ran kind of bad in it! :)

Nothing new there then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just a Quickie:
    Is it just players from when the EPL was set up? So none of the likes of Best/Charlton etc?

EPL only i.e. since 1992/93

Now hurry the feck up! :p

Now hurry the feck up! :p

Easy Tiger! We students like to bum around and sleep late on wednesdays and mondays... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

So Peter Schmeichel has been drafted no. 1 for Frisbee.

Interesting to see a keeper going first in the draft, I would of expected a goal machine or a match winner to go top.
    Not saying that the great dane hasn't won matches on his own by his goalkeeping efforts (and indeed the occasional goal himself).

shoutman wrote: »

Interesting to see a keeper going first in the draft, I would of expected a goal machine or a match winner to go top.
    Not saying that the great dane hasn't won matches on his own by his goalkeeping efforts (and indeed the occasional goal himself).

Yeah, I'm also surprised to see him go. Not that I think it's a bad pick - Schiemechel is definitely a top talent and a great foundation for any team. You'd have no problem giving him the armband. Plus, when you consider just how sick good he was for the first few years of the premiership - he is arguably worth as many points as a 30 goal a season striker. He just demoralizes the opposition and wins games a different way.

All that being said, I still did not expect a goalkeeper to go first. :)

Score all the goals you want. If you let more in your still gonna lose :D
    And there hasnt been that many good keepers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Had I been first Schmeichel would have been top of my list too. He won so many games for united and was instrumental in their success while there. He was easily worth 15 points a season in the league.

No doubt he was the greatest premiership goalkeeper but I suppose it comes down to whether you are building your team from the back or the front,

or the middle as Roy Keane goes at no 2 for wreck. No surprises there, a quality player, a real midfield engine and a natural born leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Can't believe I got keano tbh, had the fcuking spiel for my second choice allready done lol.

• Advertisement

Wreck wrote: »
    Can't believe I got keano tbh, had the fcuking spiel for my second choice allready done lol.

Yeah Keane was no.1 on my board. While Frisbee is right in that there is a scarcity of truly topclass keepers, there is really only four players who can do what Keane does available in this draft - and Keane is a clear cut above the other three.

I'm not quite sure who you regard as the other three Lloyd, but i'm sure I wont be getting either of the two better ones that I had in mind.... but there is always hope.

Keane no. 2 pick? Pfft ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Whatawaster has not only picked a great player in Henry, but what a Picture too! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Eirebear wrote: »
    Whatawaster has not only picked a great player in Henry, but what a Picture too! :D

i will be insisting the moustache is maintained.

I thought it was Jason Lee for a second! :pac:

pineapple.gif

Yeah nice pick and awesome picture!! :)

thierry_henry_the_associated_press.jpg

Firstly, I think it is important to forget his troubled and injury riddled final season at Arsenal. During the period 2001 / 2002 to 2005 / 2006 Henry never scored less than 24 league goals a season. But more than just goals, during this period Henry posed a complete and dynamic attacking threat to every premiership defense in every game and contributed many assists.

With blistering pace, exceptional dribbling skills, fantastic technique and a good creative brain which understood when to drop deep and wide and when to lay it off for teammates - Henry was almost unplayable at times.

I believe that if you had him on your side during that period you were never completely out of a game because you always had the opportunity to create something out of little. If you are being penned back he gives you a chance to hit into the channels or over the top; if you are seeing a lot of possession he had the brains to pop up and probe a back line from different angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNpZ4UafAw&NR=1

Ah cock! Just realised my biased first pick of Georgi Kinkladze doesn't qualify :mad:

Ah cock! Just realised my biased first pick of Georgi Kinkladze doesn't qualify :mad:

less than 40 prem games.

• Advertisement

Yeah loada me hoop

Even if he had 40 games he is a debatable first round pick imo, Kinkladze showed moments of genius but was never world class imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Last ffs! I know who my first pick is going to be wonder if i'll get her.

Even if he had 40 games he is a debatable first round pick imo, Kinkladze showed moments of genius but was never world class imo.

Definitely a debatable first round pick but I wanted to get the heart out of the way early on.

He's the player I loved most in the Prem so he'd have to be in my side.

Definitely a debatable first round pick but I wanted to get the heart out of the way early on.

He's the player I loved most in the Prem so he'd have to be in my side.

If he was eligible though - he'd still be there in the fifth round.

True. Can't be too careful though!

I know my 1st round pick now, provided he's still there!

• Advertisement

Ive drawn out my first choice team, obviously no chance of getting them especially as my keeper is already gone, but if i can get two or three of them ill be happy.

What a team it is too!:D

I too have drawn up a team with two or three players in each spot, done in order of preference, ahh the life of a college student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Schmeichell would have been my first pick aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

bohsman wrote: »
    Schmeichell

He's probably still available, if he exists.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

the wait is killing me

• Advertisement

eagle eye takes Shearer.
    Great pick imo, highest goalscorer in the EPL and a fair amount of crackers in there too. 3 of the 4 picked were fighting for my number one choice

Can't argue with Shearer. For the next few picks I'd say there is about 10 players that you can justify taking and the only real differentiating factor for people will be what club they supported or players they looked up to as a kid - or what type of team they want to build.

Also, please remember to PM the guy who is up next with a link to the picks thread when you've made your post. Thank you. :)

Yeah good call on Shearer. He was on my shortlist for round 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I honestly admit than when I was deciding on who should by my first pick before I'd seen who was picked that Keane, Shearer, Schmeichel and Henry were the only players that came to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

He was defo my selection in spot 6 if not taken.

Back to the drawing board !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My top pick hasn't been taken yet, but I'm sure he'll be snapped up before I get my shout!

Funnily enough, Shearer never really crossed my mind. There's no disputing his record though. Great pick.

Crosses Shearer off his list...... 9 to go!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

You sure he doesn't make 40 games? remember he also played for derby between 1999-2002 while they where in the premiership (and made nearly 100 apps for them).

I think there are still a few obvious choices for the next few picks.....

And its looking a long way away to number 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pick made. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement