Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Only having 12 hours on the clock is a bit short.During the day, most of us can get on, but if a pick was made at 11 in the night, a person could be off the computer and mightn't get a chance to get to a computer in the time.Could you make it 18 hours time limit overnight or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I was afraid he wouldn't last that long, and even Trippie just said that he was thinking of Young.
    Gabby is not near as good a player as Young. He has sheer pace and can strike a good ball but too often his decision making lets him down as does his finishing if he has any time to think about it at all. Also as you said he tends to get a bit disinterested at times.

I really am shocked that people don't see Young as a player who should be going around this time, I really don't see who else can fulfill his role that has not been taken. And Eirebhoy I think I know who you are talking about but I think there are more people equal to him from the past and no one I could think of who rivalled that of Ash Young. There were two I had in mind and when they are picked I will tell you that I had thought of them.

Last year Young was voted as the best player in his position. FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's certainly a very interesting pick, but in my view a poor one. Value wise, I think you could have gotten him next round anyway but when you consider that Lloyd said that Torres was a bad pick because his sample size was so small and he knows this draft better than anyone and Young has had nowhere near the impact of Torres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's certainly a very interesting pick, but in my view a poor one. Value wise, I think you could have gotten him next round anyway but when you consider that Lloyd said that Torres was a bad pick because his sample size was so small and he knows this draft better than anyone and Young has had nowhere near the impact of Torres

yes, but Lloyd is an idiot. I would argue its safe to presume Torres is not a flash in the pan, his record at At.Madrid supports that. It'd be like presuming Robinho won't be influential at city. Yes, you can argue his impact thus far is over a small sample, but it'd be wrong. Torres was an excellent pick. Lloyd's an idiot. Ashley young is... an "interesting pick", as shoutman says, the best in his position last year.

I'd have gone for agbonlahor myself, but he plays a different position, i was looking at both of them... cos their both english! :)

... and Lloyd sucks. :cool:

EDIT: Also, I assume everyone noticed that Lloyd bottled his all french invasion team, cos Petite was taken... boo-hoo to you sir!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ditpoker wrote: »
    yes, but Lloyd is an idiot. I would argue its safe to presume Torres is not a flash in the pan, his record at At.Madrid supports that. It'd be like presuming Robinho won't be influential at city. Yes, you can argue his impact thus far is over a small sample, but it'd be wrong. Torres was an excellent pick. Lloyd's an idiot. Ashley young is... an "interesting pick", as shoutman says, the best in his position last year.

I'd have gone for agbonlahor myself, but he plays a different position, i was looking at both of them... cos their both english! :)

... and Lloyd sucks. :cool:

EDIT: Also, I assume everyone noticed that Lloyd bottled his all french invasion team, cos Petite was taken... boo-hoo to you sir!!!

I'm on my way to play indoor football now. Needless to say Jeff, I'll be reserving some "tough" tackling just for you.

I'd also like to point out that Young has played over 80 premiership matches, that is twice the required amount, I'd also agree with Jeff on his take on the Torres deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Pick made and pm sent

Was considering Phillips so I could boast that I had two golden show winners in my team but his record in the premiership (not championship) after that year wasn't exactly exemplerary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Will you lot stop picking goalkeepers. I'm going to be left with bloody Gomes at this rate. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Shaun Wright-Phillips and Robert Pires supplying the ammo for Jurgen Klinnsmann, I'm pretty happy.

• Advertisement

have to say i'm more impressed by some of the late round 4 picks than some of the round 2-3 picks. go boards people go!!!

So SWP is a better player then Ash Young!?!?

Not a bad pick SWP, indeed he was going to be my next one should he have been left till the end of the next round, but at the same time he has never played as well as Ash Young did last season. Yes he has been around for a while but three of those seasons he spent rotting on the Chelsea bench, also he has never won any critical acclaim (ie. no team of the year awards) and all in all I don't think he is as an accomplished player as Ashley Young.

shoutman wrote: »
    So SWP is a better player then Ash Young!?!?

Not a bad pick SWP, indeed he was going to be my next one should he have been left till the end of the next round, but at the same time he has never played as well as Ash Young did last season. Yes he has been around for a while but three of those seasons he spent rotting on the Chelsea bench, also he has never won any critical acclaim (ie. no team of the year awards) and all in all I don't think he is as an accomplished player as Ashley Young.

His last 2 seasons before the move to chelsea were far better than ashley young's 2 and a bit seasons with villa.

I think Ashley Young will grow into a better player than SWP but this draft is based on there impact on the premier league, and for now I can't see how you can honestly think Ashley Young and SWP are in the same league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Some strange picks this round. I don't think SWP, Young or Philips were the best in their positions remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Some strange picks this round. I don't think SWP, Young or Philips were the best in their positions remaining.

I dont think phillips is the best in his position either but i think he would link up with rooney and cesc better than some of the others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Will you lot stop picking goalkeepers. I'm going to be left with bloody Gomes at this rate. :pac:

No mentioning players that haven't been picked!! :p

SWP never got into the team of the year, its not because the standard of the premiership has decreased...

Also I honestly can't think of a player who is as good as Young who has the versatility of playing anywhere in an attacking midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well some surprising picks since I was last on, none of which were on my shortlist thankfully!

Good to see things moving a bit quicker.

shoutman wrote: »

Also I honestly can't think of a player who is as good as Young who has the versatility of playing anywhere in an attacking midfield role.

I can think of two that are better. Joe Cole and Ronaldo. they both happen to be in my team

• Advertisement

I can think of two that are better. Joe Cole and Ronaldo. they both happen to be in my team

I left out the part about being still available for me to pick.... lol.

So is the 12 hour rule in or out? Cause it must be on to the next person if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

im not gonna be able to get online this weekend so in the highly unlikely event it gets back to me then skip ahead and ill make my pick monday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Happy with my 5 so far.

Pick made and PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Pick made, too hungover to do a proper right up, delighted to get Solskjær though. Can't believe he hasn't been snapped up before now.

• Advertisement

I'm going to be the first to stand up and say this hasn't gone as planned, I've made some poor decisions already.
    Now I'm happy with my 4 pics (sol campbell, shaun wright-phillips, Robery Pires and Jurgen Klinsmann) but I've made some pics at the wrong times for instance I think I probable could of let Jurgen go another few rounds possibly.
    But it's really interesting I've had to come up with a new game plan, and really focus on making a good team of players now who are not world stars, We'll see how it pans out.

Ole's a top pick. I had him in my thoughts but I didn't want a striker for this round and I knew he wouldn't be there for future rounds. Surprised he lasted this long really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Pick made, PM sent.

Delighted with Robbie

Ole was someone I considered for this round. Keane wasn't on my shortlist.

We now have a problem - Martyn's been picked twice.

• Advertisement

I guess eagle eye will have to pick again.

I had an idea there which I thought I'd throw out here. I'm not sure if there is a plan on determing the winner yet but I was thinking maybe we could do a sort of tournament style round-robin. Since there's 24 of us we'd each be drawn off against someone else, say me against Xavi as an example, and we'd both have to make our case for why our respective teams would win if the two sides had an actual match. Then let a vote determine which is best.

Keep doing this until we whittle it down from 24 to 12, from 12 to 6, from 6 to 3 and then let the 3 remaining participants make their case for why they should win.

Thoughts? Feel free to slate away. :D

+1 to the idea.

Carrick though?! Seriously? He's a player who shouldn't be picked by any team imo.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    +1 to the idea.

Carrick though?! Seriously? He's a player who shouldn't be picked by any team imo.

You either love him or you hate him. Personally I think he's really underrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd been thinking about Solskjaer for a couple of rounds, I really thought I could get him in the next one. Good pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

A Carrick Petit midfield partnership looks great to me, balancing the great defensive skills of Petit and the passing ability of Carrick, maybe there is a lack of goals between them two but I still think thats a classy Central midfield.

You either love him or you hate him. Personally I think he's really underrated.

In the top 150 players to ever play in the Premiership though? He's never been a regular at international level and has been very inconsistent at club level.

Maybe he's good enough overall but Round 5 is very early for him imo.

Baby faced assassin is a great pick, very unfortunate that he spent so much of his time being the supersub.

Robbie Keane also has his merits, unfortunate that he seems to be fluffing so many golden opportunities at the moment.

Carrick is an interesting ne imo, a good player who does a job but partnering petit does mean that it is not an attacking midfield, that said it may be good against some of the teams being picked which seem very attacking without the defensive midfield element.

Also +1 to the team vs team idea, but maybe it would work better if there was a group stage, cup competiton can be brutal if you get stuck with a bad draw.

In the top 150 players to ever play in the Premiership though? He's never been a regular at international level and has been very inconsistent at club level.

Maybe he's good enough overall but Round 5 is very early for him imo.

Well I'd ruled out attack-minded central midfielders as I felt Bergkamp provided me with enough creativity in that department and I didn't want to detract from that. I didn't need a defensive midfielder either so that left me feeling I needed a midfielder who could really pass and move the ball well. Of the players in that role still available in the game I think he's truly the best option. The only other player I thought came close in that role, that was still available, was a certain top four footballer but I felt Carrick edged him out for overall Premiership impact.

Also the central midfield combo had a good look to it to me. I don't think either man would outshine the other and I reckon they could compliment one other well.

Plus you know the teenage girls would love 'em. Merchandise sales = :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Eagle,

I took Nigel Martyn in the last round, See page 6.

I have my next pick ready but will give you a chance to change yours first

Any chance we could just keep things moving? I don't think anyone really wants another slowdown.

• Advertisement

Any chance we could just keep things moving? I don't think anyone really wants another slowdown.

+1, I really wish now people who don't check Boards every day had heeded Lloyd's request at the start and hadn't signed up for this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Pick made and PM sent to Gonzo. Eagle will have to change his pick when he is around.

Repick of neville southall is a good one imo, a real class keeper who always looked like a fifty year old man.
    Also like the pick of Micah Richards, he is just so strong and although hasnt filled his potential he's still a classy defender, although i'm sure some wont agree with the merits of the pick.

I wouldn't view Richards as a bad pick.
    I wouldn't view it as a good pick either though.

He's a good player, I suppose probably one of the best right backs left.

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's a good player, I suppose probably one of the best right backs left.

This in a nutshell. Right back is not a strong position in the history of the Premiership. There are certainly a few players I'd have above Richards though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I think hes quality and will only improve in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Eagle Eye should be forced to put Massimo Taibi in goals for the double pick.

Massimo Taibi had one of the best seasons a keeper I've seen has had with Atalanta a few years after he left United. Great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Massimo Taibi had one of the best seasons a keeper I've seen has had with Atalanta a few years after he left United. Great player

i'll make a note of that for the Serie A draft that will inevitably follow this

• Advertisement

Mr. Nice Guys' 5 picks so far are pretty awesome! Carrick is a steal!!! he was next in line for me, was hoping to pick him up in round 5... he'd be on my team sheet ahead of gerrard or lampard. Carrick is AWESOME.

Advertisement