Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ditpoker wrote: »
    Mr. Nice Guys' 5 picks so far are pretty awesome! Carrick is a steal!!! he was next in line for me, was hoping to pick him up in round 5... he'd be on my team sheet ahead of gerrard or lampard. Carrick is AWESOME.

1191664289385zp9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

ditpoker wrote: »
    Mr. Nice Guys' 5 picks so far are pretty awesome! Carrick is a steal!!! he was next in line for me, was hoping to pick him up in round 5... he'd be on my team sheet ahead of gerrard or lampard. Carrick is AWESOME.

Joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

i'll make a note of that for the Serie A draft that will inevitably follow this

Hard to say how up I'd be for a Football Italia era Serie A draft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Jeff, you're level of football knowledge truely astounds me. Part of me thinks your whole performance in this thread is one huge level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Done and done. Delighted with my forward line.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Done and done. Delighted with my forward line.

Some I had certainly considered and one of the only players to be picked that I had on my list in a while.
    Good Pick.

Damn you Mitch Alonso was my next pick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'm surprised he wasn't already gone - though maybe his last season counted against him.

i'm surprised he wasn't already gone - though maybe his last season counted against him.

I had three player sin mind for my last pick.
    Winterburn, Alonso and someone else.
    Thought Alonso might make it through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ditpoker wrote:
    he'd be on my team sheet ahead of gerrard or lampard

All of you giving the guy stick for that comment should take a look at this...

"You're looking at the midfield today of Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, you'd think it would be Lampard or Gerrard who would or probably should grab the headlines but Michael Carrick was absolutely magnificent."

Compare Carrick to Lampard and Gerrard in terms of individual ability and he isn't as good. I would accept that. However he brings a different style of football to a game and in that sense I wouldn't say it's a far-fetched claim to say you'd put him on your team sheet ahead of Gerrard or Lampard. It depends on the style of football you're going for. Carrick was named Man of the Match against Germany and I'm sure is now very much in Capello's thoughts. Lampard and Gerrard, great as they are, perhaps are not best suited to Capello's system.

In terms of what I'm looking for from my team, Carrick is the best option available. The only other guy who came close was the one just picked, Alonso, but I would argue Carrick has contributed more than Alonso in terms of overall Premiership impact.

• Advertisement

Carrick can't dominate a game or dictate tempo. He is extrememely important to United and our success, but he needs other players to hustle in midfield and help him pass the ball around.

Carrick can't dominate a game or dictate tempo. He is extrememely important to United and our success, but he needs other players to hustle in midfield and help him pass the ball around.

I would certainly agree he needs help from a hustler in midfield and in terms of dominating a game, well he can't impose himself through his mere presence that is a fair comment. However I would strongly disagree that he can't dictate tempo. I'd say this is one of his most underrated strengths. As for needing help to pass the ball around, that's ridiculous. He's one of the best passers of the ball in the league!

I would certainly agree he needs help from a hustler in midfield and in terms of dominating a game, well he can't impose himself through his mere presence that is a fair comment. However I would strongly disagree that he can't dictate tempo. I'd say this is one of his most underrated strengths. As for needing help to pass the ball around, that's ridiculous. He's one of the best passers of the ball in the league!
    He's a great passer, but if he doesn't have people helping him control the midfield he doesn't get the space he needs, and he can perform poorly when pressured and lacking space. When he has the time he needs to pick out a pass he is fantastic, but he needs help to get that time. As for dictating the tempo, countless games in europe have shown he can't do that consistently. As the hub of a dominating midfield he is brilliant, but he is not the player to give that domination.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Carrick is an incredibly limited player,
    the only thing he has in his locker is passing, and to be quite honest he's not an unbelievable passer of the ball, not a Pirlo or Alonso, even Gerrard and Lampard are better in this department week in week out.
    He does nothing else of not so his passing seems great compared to his lack of any other facet in his game.
    I'm still shocked he's been taken tbh.

mayordenis wrote: »
    the only thing he has in his locker is passing, and to be quite honest he's not an unbelievable passer of the ball, not a Pirlo or Alonso, even Gerrard and Lampard are better in this department week in week out.
    He does nothing else of not so his passing seems great compared to his lack of any other facet in his game.

i'd put alonso above him in terms of passing, but I would put Carrick above Gerrard and Lampard, given his more intelligent use of the ball, too many glory balls from the other two. When they come off they are spectacular, but they do try them a lot. His positional awareness in a 442 and ability to actually play in a 442 is also way above Lampard and Gerrard (both are AMCs imo so that is only natural) he is a different type of player to both Lampard and Gerrard so I think the comparison is a poorly grounded one to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Who is Mitch Connor and why is he picking players or am I going blind?

RasTa wrote: »
    Who is Mitch Connor and why is he picking players or am I going blind?

He's the new and improved Tauren

Frisbee wrote: »
    He's the new and improved Tauren
    SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH! :D

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH! :D

Oh crap! Sorry!
    I mean. Eh..
    Tauren is a guy who photographs Mitch Connor during his heroic exploits.
    Thats why you never see them in the same place at the same time!
    Yeah, that's believable!

He's a great passer, but if he doesn't have people helping him control the midfield he doesn't get the space he needs, and he can perform poorly when pressured and lacking space. When he has the time he needs to pick out a pass he is fantastic, but he needs help to get that time. As for dictating the tempo, countless games in europe have shown he can't do that consistently. As the hub of a dominating midfield he is brilliant, but he is not the player to give that domination.

I agree totally he can't dominate alone but I'd say having Petit beside him, as is the case in my team, would be a good foil and allow him to do what he does best, pick out passes. Barry did a similar job in the England friendly against Germany in which Carrick starred. I think Carrick's ability to dictate tempo is understated. He played a big part in United's European campaign and while he wasn't a starring player he nonetheless played his part well.
    mayordenis wrote:

I'm shocked anyone could think this. If he was an incredibly limited player he wouldn't have managed 52 and 48 games for United in the past two seasons respectively (including 33 and 31 league games). You could see how much he was missed this season in the games he was absent from.

To say Carrick has only passing in his locker is myopic. He can read the game as well as anybody, has plenty of energy to be able to instigate attacks as well as sit back when necessary, and he's not overawed by a big occasion. I think for the job he does he does it with aplomb.

As for not him not being an Alonso, I would agree. I think he's better. Alonso went through a woeful spell last season where Benitez was asking him - in public in fact - to prove himself, and he was seemingly on his way out the door had Barry been signed. I'm not aware of an effort on the part of Fergie to offload Carrick. Why would he anyway? He's been consistent. 48 appearances last season in a European and Premiership winning campaign. That'll do nicely.

I'll add it's very easy to dismiss great players with the 'limited' tag. I could say Makelele is a limited player since he does little beyond sit in front and protect the back four, however this would do a disservice to a terrific player. He does the role he's asked to do brilliantly. So too does Carrick.

Besides, having passing as your star quality is surely not a bad thing. I'm guessing Irish fans aren't clamouring for the return of Andy Reid for his marvellous athleticism!

• Advertisement

Alonso > Carrick imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Alonso > Carrick imo

+1

On top form, yeah. And though i have picked Alonso, I would say Carrick has been better in his time for United than Alonso has been over the same period for Liverpool. At the moment there isn't much to chose between them. Over their prem careers - I would give it to Alonso, so for the purposes of this draft i would agree that Alonso is better than Carrick. (kinda the same argument over Alonso/Barry in the summer - both players on top form, Alonso easily, but based on last season Barry was the better player.)

Please please please can we stop mentioning players who haven't been picked yet!

shoutman wrote: »
    Please please please can we stop mentioning players who haven't been picked yet!

Agreed. My heart is jumping into my mouth everytime someone decides to mention someone that hasn't been picked that's on my shortlist.

It wasn't so bad in the first few rounds when everyone was gunning for the same players. But as the game progresses and people are hoping others will not notice hidden gems, as I'm sure we all are, someone who picked a player in the same position as a player on your shortlist, who decides to compare them.

I reckon we should introduce a system for penalizing people who do this.
    Like their pick gets pushed back three places or so.

Jeez it's bad enough getting people to make picks as it is without penalising people. That'd slow down the process even more.

+1 to not mentioning players though.

Mitch Connor is an awesome name btw. One of the best episodes ever.

Realistically, mentioning names is starting to really matter now. It's not like the earlier rounds where the top names were clear for everyone to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

No different to Alonso, Pirlo, Xavi and probably most pure playmakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm very happy with my pick, despite his relative lack of Premiership experience. I think my midfield is looking fairly strong, hopefully I can bring in a top-class left-winger to complete the puzzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm very happy with my pick.His level of performance throughout his time with Bolton has been fantastic, and he has kept them in a lot of games.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm very happy with my pick.His level of performance throughout his time with Bolton has been fantastic, and he has kept them in a lot of games.

A good pick and a brave pick. I figured people would mainly go with better-known goalkeepers rather than the steady, reliable variety.

That's the keeper I was saying his manager (Allerdyce) said is the best in the premiership a couple of years ago. Good pick. I know a manager is always going to back his own players but to be even in with a chance of being the best in the premiership with early picks like Cech and Given still around he can't be too bad.

Jussi was my next pick, thought he'd be going soon, underrated in his prime imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Looks like i missed out on my goalkeper in Jussi!

Ah well im back now, and i reckon Niemi will do me well.

Wasn't Necronomicon next or is that the pick from the round before that you missed.

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Wasn't Necronomicon next or is that the pick from the round before that you missed.

Its the one i missed from the round before mate, sorry i should have put that into the text

Niemi and Jussi are both top picks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Was Eirebear supposed to get two picks because of missing the last round, or am I up?

Was Eirebear supposed to get two picks because of missing the last round, or am I up?

you are up now - eirebear will e up again in a pick or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Done and done, over to Bubs. PM sent.

• Advertisement

Done and done, over to Bubs. PM sent.

got my poster names mixed up - it is Eirebear up now, not Bubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Argh, I can't believe this. I was trying to decide between Niemi and Jussi for my last pick before I realised Solskjaer was still available. I figured there was achance that at least one of the two keepers might be available for me next time :(

Both top quality picks at this stage imo.

Am i up again?

Yup. Then PM Bubs when you're done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Feck sake I wanted berbs for a bit of height and ability to slow a game down, would have being perfect for my team.

Awful pick for your team, pick another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Updated the spreadsheet there. I've decided that after this round I'll give my thoughts on everyone's team (cause why not!! :)). So I won't say too much about the recent picks, except that I think Eirebear took the next best keeper available in Niemi and that from here on in the dropoff in that position is quite significant.

Also, glad to see that things are running much more smoothly at present.

It would be cool if we started a thread and everyone posted once in it with their current team layout etc... Have it like the draft pick thread where there is no conversation just a list of the teams etc.

Cahill was someon I thought I might pick up if I was stuck near the end. Bit early to be picking him in this round..

Frisbee wrote: »
    Cahill was someon I thought I might pick up if I was stuck near the end. Bit early to be picking him in this round..

I rate him fairly highly to be honest, definetly a player who can cause any team trouble on his day.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    except that I think Eirebear took the next best keeper available in Niemi and that from here on in the dropoff in that position is quite significant.
    Surely there's 1 keeper left at the standard of a lot of those picked? I'm very surprised a certain keeper hasn't been picked yet. Maybe he's not rated as highly as I thought.

• Advertisement
Advertisement