Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Batty is a great pick and one from my shortlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

there are still many better right backs than Kelly available.
    Barnes is an interesting one. He was clearly past his best after 92' but he still had a touch of class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

shoutman wrote: »
    I think its interesting that Trippie went with a fullback,

Why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well it did show that there must not be a big amount of quality in that area to pick so maby nabbing a decent one early might be an idea especially if people like Kelly are already going this early.

annoyed I was off boards when this got going woulda loved to have been involved in this thing, class idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Sigh. didnt get laid tonight so my optimism of doing up the write of Gary Kelly tomorrow was clearly misplaced.

There may have been better attacking full backs than Gary Kelly (and I was considering one quite heavily) and there may have been better defensive players than him but there are very few that are anyway near as consistent than him. Irwin is the only player in modern times in my opinion that is more consistent than him. Who of the others left have played over 500 games at the top flight and not only has he made the numbers up but was an instrumental part of the Leeds team (whom I believe offers more value than any other team at this stage of picks). He has champions league experience,he has old school premiership experience and he has a semi modern premier league experience which should offer me a defensive capability against all of the teams chosen so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Trippie wrote: »
    Sigh. didnt get laid tonight so my optimism of doing up the write of Gary Kelly tomorrow was clearly misplaced.

There may have been better attacking full backs than Gary Kelly (and I was considering one quite heavily) and there may have been better defensive players than him but there are very few that are anyway near as consistent than him. Irwin is the only player in modern times in my opinion that is more consistent than him. Who of the others left have played over 500 games at the top flight and not only has he made the numbers up but was an instrumental part of the Leeds team (whom I believe offers more value than any other team at this stage of picks). He has champions league experience,he has old school premiership experience and he has a semi modern premier league experience which should offer me a defensive capability against all of the teams chosen so far

But the problem is, while I agree with a lot of the above, you could have waited another round or two to pick him up. It's bad relative value at this point. I had decided he was my right back, providing he was still there in round 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    But the problem is, while I agree with a lot of the above, you could have waited another round or two to pick him up. It's bad relative value at this point. I had decided he was my right back, providing he was still there in round 7.

I agree, it's the same problem with Heskey. Not exactly a bad pick but you could have gotten him next round without question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Any more opinions on John Barnes as a pick, I'm still not overly sure about him, I suppose the upside is I can always play him up front and choose another wide man.

Any more opinions on John Barnes as a pick, I'm still not overly sure about him, I suppose the upside is I can always play him up front and choose another wide man.

By 1992 he had declined a huge amount physically. He didn't have the pace to beat people and drive at defenses like he was able to at the height of his powers. He morphed into a 'Quaterback' central midfielder. He would sit deep and have the ball a lot and try and dictate the flow with his passing

If I'm honest, he was part of the problem that the Liverpool side under Evans had in the premiership. We had a guy in the centre of the park who had great instincts, creativity and technique who was supposed to provide an inspiration to the rest of the team. But he couldn't tackle or run at all well. And when teams would stick it to us, we would crumble with him being anonymous as it all went to ****.

I think it is reasonable for him to be picked at some stage. But again, if you wanted him I think you could have waited a couple of rounds. You are getting half a player - and one that was a shadow of his former self in the relevant period. If you stick him in the right system it could work. But if you make it so that his physical attributes are exposed, I think he gets destroyed in this league.

Was considering playing him alongside Gerard in the middle...

• Advertisement

Was considering playing him alongside Gerard in the middle...

Personally, I think he would work best as a member of a five man midfield as a sort of attacking midfielder. The problem with playing him alongside Gerrard is that you will have two players who aren't natural or traditional central midfielders. Gerrard is a great athlete, but he is quite undisciplined positionally when he plays there. And when he does, he either has Alonso or Masch alongside him who are good at holding infront of the backline and breaking up attacks.

If I'm honest, a midfield of Barnes and Gerrard would be hosed by some of the CM combinations in this draft. You would get minced on the counter attack. Think about it, ambitious pass or run by Gerrard high up the pitch doesn't come off (which is most of the time) and a team in this draft breaks quickly from the turnover in possession. Barnes is now in acres of space and trying to hustle back to make a play...

Better have either a great back four and goalkeeper - or be able to average 3 goals a game or more going forward imo.

Three goals or more it is... Barnes was still rated among one of the best left wingers even past the 91 season, yes he wasnt the athlete he was in the old division one but he was still a quality footballer.

Three goals or more it is... Barnes was still rated among one of the best left wingers even past the 91 season, yes he wasnt the athlete he was in the old division one but he was still a quality footballer.

He was quality with the ball at feet, sure. But after 1993 he declined hugely. And was living on reputation mostly imo. Remember what Liverpool under Souness and Evans achieved. Then consider how much of a focal point he was for that squad.

And Luke, he stopped playing left wing after 1993.

Still two seasons....

Still two seasons....

Huh? Premiership started in 92. After a poor first premiership season in which Liverpool finished 8th, Barnes was converted to a central midfielder as he clearly couldn't cut it out wide anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

just been considering my future picks... if peoplelike luke keep taking people like john barnes i'm gonna struggle to keep an all english XI

ditpoker wrote: »
    just been considering my future picks... if peoplelike luke keep taking people like john barnes i'm gonna struggle to keep an all english XI

You could always cluse the "granny rule" if you're struggling to get an all english team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

24 hour rule up?

ye i presume so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Didnt we say it was a 12 hour rule, hurry up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

titan18 wrote: »
    Didnt we say it was a 12 hour rule, hurry up.

even at 24 hours time is up

Doesn't it go back to his pick though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Doesn't it go back to his pick though?

Whoever missed their turn can just make their pick when they get round to it, we don't have to wait for them after every pick.

Whoever missed their turn can just make their pick when they get round to it, we don't have to wait for them after every pick.

Sorry, I thought he was last, and it was an AB round. Forgot about rasta

mayordenis I dislike you now lol, was planning a barry/gerard partnership, gambled he wouldnt go in the few picks between my last and next pick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

hope everything's ok mayordenis.

This could take awhile...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Des wrote: »
    hope everything's ok mayordenis.

Thanks appreciate it :)

Kevin Nolan is my next pick.

Kevin Nolan and Gareth Barry will line up in the centre of my midfield, with Shaun Wright-Philips and Robert Pires providing the width.

sorry to all for both delays

pm sent.

Ugh your midfield is better then mine...

Pick made and happy enough with my two full backs chosen. They should offer my attack support and provide a consistency that is needed to compensate for the lack of top centre backs left in the draft.

• Advertisement

Ugh your midfield is better then mine...

The fact that he just picked up Barry and Nolan unfortunately highlights the Barnes pick for the reach it was. Sorry!

Get well soon Mayordenis - thank you for taking the time to come on here and make those picks. Very good value on both selections imo.

Woodgate, Riise are great picks aswell at this stage.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The fact that he just picked up Barry and Nolan unfortunately highlights the Barnes pick for the reach it was. Sorry!
    Either of them would compliment Gerrard much better as I dont think they would fit together if played in midfiled in the same team much like Lampard and him

Riise?! :eek:

I had Ballack in mind for my next one.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Riise?! :eek:

He was bad last year. So what. For the six seasons before last year he was consistently one of the top five left sided players in the league. And two of those seasons were phenomenal.

He is a great athlete, with a great motor. And plays in a very aggressive and forceful fashion - very pacey and physical. And has a missile for a left foot.

At the top of the sixth round, he's good value.

There are a number of left backs that are better candidates.

Riise is more a Round 10 player imo.

Riise offers more versatility than most of the others left. It was close between him and someone else but I think he is well worth a pick in this round and there was no way he would last until round 10 thats for sure

Xavi6 wrote: »
    There are a number of left backs that are better candidates.

Riise is more a Round 10 player imo.

lol. Well I STRONGLY disagree. And given that he has been a regular for a team that has never finished worse than fifth in the league during his time there; has won the CL, been runner up in the CL, and made a SF and QF appearance I believe the onus should be on you to demonstrate that he hasn't been one of the best players at his position. So, shout as the remaining left - backs you think are better than him get picked. And we can debate it.

It's not that I think he's a bad pick, I was just surprised to see his name crop up before 4 or 5 others for that position.

hmmm, just received an interesting proposition. and i sent you a pm xavi

Trippie wrote: »
    Riise offers more versatility than most of the others left. It was close between him and someone else but I think he is well worth a pick in this round and there was no way he would last until round 10 thats for sure

That's only because there are so many Liverpool fans. Scored good goals,defended averagely

• Advertisement

That's only because there are so many Liverpool fans. Scored good goals,defended averagely

Well you couldnt get more polarised than me when talking about Liverpool fans so thats not the reason I chose him.

Riise is a good pick imo, not overly sure about Woodgate though, better defenders available imo.

Was going to pick Le Saux too for the exact same reason. There were only 3 or 4 left backs picked before Riise. He's better than Riise too

Was going to pick Le Saux too for the exact same reason. There were only 3 or 4 left backs picked before Riise. He's better than Riise too

lolz

Riise is a good pick imo, not overly sure about Woodgate though, better defenders available imo.

None who played in the QF of the Champions League. Actually there is no one better with the experience Woodgate has at this time. Like Kewell, people seem to forget how good he was at Leeds and there was a reason Real Madrid came knocking.

Does that matter?

I know Le saux is better defensively but Riise offers me a much better attacking foil down the left flank imo and seeing as left wing might be a problem area for some teams it means that i could get a more defensive left sided player as opposed to the attacking type that seems to be all gone at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

RasTa wrote: »
    None who played in the QF of the Champions League.

why does that matter? there aren't many left back available who have a premiership medal either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

pick made, delighted with this for a round 6 pick!!! :) sending PM to next inline now...

• Advertisement

ditpoker wrote: »
    Jamie himself...an excellent pundit to boot!

1191664289385zp9.jpg

Advertisement