Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Berg is an interesting pick. I do think there are better right backs and center backs available right now - and I think you could have waited a few rounds to take him if you wanted him.

Was a good pro who embodied the term "solid" though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I had Berg earmarked as someone I was going to go for in round 9 or so. Figured he'd still be available.
    Dependable pick imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Berg is a bad pick for this stage, could have got him in 8 or 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You said:

When the majority of his Blackburn (and premiership goals) came when Shearer wasn't at the club or playing alongside him. So don't give me any "I'm a Blackburn fan" or "let's discuss this later" guff. This is the discussion thread. It's here to debate in detail the merits of the players who are picked.

You just spouted off some fundamentally incorrect mythology and got called out on it. Until you demonstrate otherwise, the bold applies directly to you.
    Well if you want to do that now, then fine by me, as long as mentioning players not yet picked is alright with everyone else. Thats why I want to leave it right now.
    I know you love an argument that you feel you win with the stats available to you. If you want to get into it, I need to mention other players. If thats fine then lets go.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well if you want to do that now, then fine by me, as long as mentioning players not yet picked is alright with everyone else. Thats why I want to leave it right now.
    I know you love an argument that you feel you win with the stats available to you. If you want to get into it, I need to mention other players. If thats fine then lets go.

PM me your argument then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

PM me your argument then. :)
    And give you free thoughts on unpicked players. Hmm let me think, I don't see any fairness there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Berg is a solid pick. He was in my thoughts along with a few others.

eagle eye wrote: »
    And give you free thoughts on unpicked players. Hmm let me think, I don't see any fairness there.

lol, ok. You can further the discussion in an attempt to disprove my arguments when the unpicked players concerned have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I was going to take Berg with my next pick. Good pick imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

We talked about the the limited availability of full backs earlier in the draft, and while Lloyd has just alluded to possible better alternatives, I can't think of any myself (perhaps an oversight on my part). Also, as I mentioned in my short write up, the fact that I can move him in centre or keep him right back gives me a flexibility.

Not a world-beater, but no doubt solid. I think he represents good value at this stage of the draft.

Leboeuf is a top pick. Another guy who was on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Pick made and PM sent

Team so far:

GK: Bosninch
    RB:
    LB: Steve Staunton
    CB:
    CB:
    CM: Gary Speed
    CM:
    CM:
    AM: Robin Van Persie
    FC: Fernando Torres
    FC: Robbie Fowler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Berg, Lebouef and RVP are all good picks at this stage imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

RVP is a great pick imo, totally forgot about him as probably presumed he had already gone.

Lebouf also is quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Pick made lads, apologies again for the lateness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Melion wrote: »
    Pick made lads, apologies again for the lateness

A good pick me thinks. Wingers are getting scarce rather quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

RVP is a great pick but maybe not so much as a midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Bubs101 wrote: »
    RVP is a great pick but maybe not so much as a midfielder.

Yeah, I think Janet might be better just going for a 4-3-3. Possibly:

---RVP
    Fowler
    Torres

Its a bit narrow at the front, but I reckon Torres and RVP have enough pace and guile to go out wide when needs be and have Fowler in the box ready to poach some goals. But its up to (EDIT) him.

she is a he.

joke name that i havent bothered changing

Not sure what I'm gonna do with RVP yet. It'll depend on who I get in around him. Might have to shoehorn him in but with a licence to roam and get on the ball

Good pick from titan18
    Someone I wanted in my team for sure, and a CB I thought I could hold off on...

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Good pick from titan18
    Someone I wanted in my team for sure, and a CB I thought I could hold off on...

Yeah, Bould was definitely worthy of selection with the next five or so CBs to go. Was surprised how many premiership appearances he made when I researched him tbh. He may have been 30 when the premiership began - but he was good right into his mid thirties.

Yeah, Bould was definitely worthy of selection with the next five or so CBs to go. Was surprised how many premiership appearances he made when I researched him tbh. He may have been 30 when the premiership began - but he was good right into his mid thirties.

He was quality and 50/50 for my next pick.
    There goes my hopes of an all Gooner back 4... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Frisbee wrote: »
    He was quality and 50/50 for my next pick.
    There goes my hopes of an all Gooner back 4... :(

Senderos is stil available ;)

Smegball wrote: »

twitch.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

was considering Arteta but i tihnk im glad he's gone now as it will make my decision nect pick easier

You bastard Mitch.
    I needed Mikael, or Alonso.
    I've lost two of my picks in the last two picks. Not a good day...

Smegball wrote: »

You could do worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Trippie wrote: »
    You could do worse

Cygan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Arteta's a good pick but not a central midfielder.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Arteta's a good pick but not a central midfielder.

Agreed, anytime he has played central midfield he has been crap. That's why he was moved to left mid

• Advertisement

Cygan?

Yes and again you could do worse

Vivas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Stepanovs?

Sssssshhhhhh lads....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

arteta and dacourt are fukn fantastic picks

Dacourt is a great pick.

I had earmarked dacourt... :( Great pick.

Is the 12 hour rule still in place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Was that Tauren that picked Arteta? Arteta, Lampard, Alonso and Kanchelskis. A top combative player in beside them and that's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Pick made and PM sent. Surprised solano lasted as long as he did but I'm not complaining :)

Solano is a good pick

Lame

Lame

I must say after putting a lot of effort into justifying my pick, to then get a dismissive one-word comment like that is really disappointing.

Laursen is a great pick, definately the best defender left imo.

Was looking to have him as my Villa dream team back two.

Vidic and Laursen is definately a strong partnership, very alike in the fact that they are both strong, quick and possess bravery bordering stupidity when it comes to sticking their heads in places that most people wouldnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Laursen would be a good pick if it wasn't for the fact that your other defender was Vidic. I don't think they could play well together as its their natural instinct to go for the ball. They could end up getting in the way of each other, and chaos ensues. If you look at Chelsea and United, there's Carvahlo and Terry and Rio and Vidic. Neither manager puts 2 defenders in whose instinct is to go for the ball and neither do they put 2 ball playing defenders in.

You need one of these to balance the defending of Vidic or Laursen.If they both went for the ball and they missed it by getting in the way of each other, who is there to cover

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Laursen is a great pick, definately the best defender left imo.

Was looking to have him as my Villa dream team back two.

Vidic and Laursen is definately a strong partnership, very alike in the fact that they are both strong, quick and possess bravery bordering stupidity when it comes to sticking their heads in places that most people wouldnt.

Wouldn't say Vidic is quick now. But agree with the rest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I really wouldn't pick VDS - and I still don't have a goalie,
    I honestly think he's a sham, I think he's been pretty bad at united and was a decent player in a reasonable fulham side.

big name to pick up at this stage but not a good pick imo.

I must say after putting a lot of effort into justifying my pick, to then get a dismissive one-word comment like that is really disappointing.

You clearly don't watch South Park. it was a compliment, I wanted Van Der Sar hence it was lame for you to pick him

You clearly don't watch South Park. it was a compliment, I wanted Van Der Sar hence it was lame for you to pick him

Apologies Bubs.
    mayordenis wrote:
    I really wouldn't pick VDS - and I still don't have a goalie,
    I honestly think he's a sham, I think he's been pretty bad at united and was a decent player in a reasonable fulham side.

big name to pick up at this stage but not a good pick imo.

Well I've explained my reasons for picking him and if you disagree fair enough but what I would ask anyone is, would United have picked up the silverware they have in the past couple of seasons without him between the posts? In my opinion they would not have. He's been involved in several massive season-defining moments and more often than not held his nerve.

There are some fine keepers left in the game but in terms of keepers that can actually win you matches, I think VDS was the best one left.

VDS has brought tremendous stability to United's defence, he makes very few errors, although they are getting to be a more regular occurence but that would be to his age most likely.
    Look at Uniteds defence when he's not there, usually looks very dodgy, although VDS doesn't make alot of saves, he's there when called upon and thats the sign of a very very good goalkeeper in my view.
    Tim Howard excellent shot stopper but flopped at United because when he was needed for that one moment in a match he wouldn't be there for you, because he didn't have the concentration required, VDS provides that and tbh I can't think of any better keepers at this stage of the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement