Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I agree it could be good but giving drogba's track record it's hard to make the case that it would although a 3rd opinion would be welcome here because we're just going back and forth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't think they'll gel cos Drogba hasn't with anyone. He's never played with anyone like Tevez, but he really seems to need to be the only forward with the midfielders playing off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

shoutman wrote: »
    Barnes was still a good player during his time in the premiership, he may of been bad value for when I picked him but he still will suit my overall vision for my team.

He was okay to decent, maybe. As I have said previously, after 92 / 93 he became terrible athletically. And was left sitting in the middle. He won't slot in with Gerrard very well imo, and he would get destroyed at left mid given the quality of right mids and right backs will be so high.

After Le Tissier, I would say that he was the worst player athletically to have gone so far. So if you don't change your formation from a 4 - 4 - 2 and leave him in a high energy position where his poor movement is exposed you will have an automatic glaring weakness which is much more fundamental than whether Tevez can play off Drogba or not.

HINT: Drogba plays up front on his own a lot. Gerrard plays in a 4 - 5 - 1 a lot. Tevez's skillset may translate to more than a traditional striker position.

HINT!!!

:)

Bump, surely there's at least 3 people who can pick now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Indeed.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yup, ditpoker, bohsman and Lloyd can all go.
    and Iago can go after half one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Thanks for the hint Lloyd ;), but from the outset I said I wasn't sure about playing Tevez off Drogba or behind Drogba.

Barnes detiorated athletically yes, but I reckon he can still perform a role in midfield, sitting back, spraying the ball about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

pick made, delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Darren Bent. Controversial pick but if you're just looking for someone to knock them in, you could certainly do worse.

I like Bent as a pick. Bar the season that he barely got a game at Spurs he has been consistent and he's done well in good teams and bad ones which is a good sign

• Advertisement

had one or two others in mind, but they were instantly discounted cos their bleedin' foreigners!!! :p

What happened to the momentum eh? I'm not even involved in this but its damn entertaining, especially in these exam times and the inevitable procrastination that comes with them. Informative too.

What happened to the momentum eh? I'm not even involved in this but its damn entertaining, especially in these exam times and the inevitable procrastination that comes with them. Informative too.

bohsman, Lloyd and Iago can all go now.
    And Melion can go after 1.30 tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Weekends tend to slow down the momentum, it'll probably pick up again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Frisbee wrote: »
    bohsman, Lloyd and Iago can all go now.
    And Melion can go after 1.30 tonight

Do we have to wait in turn? i.e. do I have to wait for bohsman and Lloyd? I'd rather be courteous, but don't want to miss out on my pick either :)

Maybe when Lloyd logs on he can make a call.

No. When your 12 hours are up you pick whenever you can next. It's in the rules on the signup page (I think it's there but it's around somewhere)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

no - their time is up, it is you time to pick now; they will simply make their pick whenever they can, you can make yours now. If the people that should have been before you miss out on a player they wanted cause they didn't pick in time, that is their problem. You can make your pick now.

Weekends tend to slow down the momentum, it'll probably pick up again today.

Yes, that was why I was quite perplexed by such a quiet Monday. Theres usually a glut of people who have to pick who usually do it quicksharp.

keep the flow going. Lloyd is away athe the PSV Liverpool game so won't be back til late wednesday at the earliest. i'll send him a text and try and get his pick, but work away i'd say.

I've gone anyway, happy that my defense is starting to take a semi-acceptable shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

was really wishin' and hopin' Dunne wouldn't been picked.

3 good picks I think.

Silva is a good pick both in terms of value at this stage and in terms of the team he's going into which tbh is very attack minded(Yeboah, Hughes, Saha and Di Matteo!). Definitely needed an anchor of some kind in there. Silva was a quality player by any standard.

Dunne is a quality CB and is good value as well. Might be a bit similar to King, haven't seen enough of the latter to really comment fully.

Tugay is a decent pick and defintely brings plenty of steel and technical ability to the CM position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i can still think of atleast 1 quality CF and CB that i thought would have went by now.

i can still think of atleast 1 quality CF and CB that i thought would have went by now.

I can think of several.
    Infact I'm thinking of changing my formation to incorporate them if someone else doesnt pick them soon... :p

being honest I'm pretty fucking pised off that I've been skipped by two people even though all I tried to be was fair to the rest. Oppurtunistic at the very least, but the whole thing is turning to a shambles.

at the least the 12 hours should reset once a pick is made.

I'll go and make my pick now so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Iago wrote: »
    being honest I'm pretty fucking pised off that I've been skipped by two people even though all I tried to be was fair to the rest.

Ah come on you're not the first it's happened to. The rules are the same for everyone.
    Oppurtunistic at the very least, but the whole thing is turning to a shambles.

It's only turing into a shambles because people said initially that they would be around to pick and then weren't.

being honest I'm pretty fucking pised off that I've been skipped by two people even though all I tried to be was fair to the rest. Oppurtunistic at the very least, but the whole thing is turning to a shambles.

at the least the 12 hours should reset once a pick is made.

I'll go and make my pick now so.

What are you talking about?
    It was clearly laid out in the rules that once your time is gone the next person can go and it is up to you to make your pick whenever you can.
    They were merely following the rules. It's not their fault you didn't log in.

Also how is the whole thing turning into a shambles?
    Lloyd asked when you were signing up only to participate if you guaranteed log in everyday. you had since 1.30 yesterday...

Also how is the whole thing turning into a shambles?
    Lloyd asked when you were signing up only to participate if you guaranteed log in everyday. you had since 1.30 yesterday...

Of course I had logged in, I even posted in this thread seeking clarification on the picks. Bohsman then picked which should have given Llyod 12 hours to make a pick. Next thing Bubs decides to go ahead of Llyod, myself & Melion.

People are keen to apply the letter of the law when it suits them, but I was trying to give consideration to others.

I wouldn't have picked either Dunne or Tugay, but that's not the point. anyway my pick is made so I guess whoever's after Bubs is up.

The thing was turning into a shambles because nobody was making any picks. If you saw that you could make your pic and still refrained that's far far worse than picking when you're allowed to. Based on experience the draft is far better when there's a flow as I'm sure MNG and Lloyd will tell you
    Of course I had logged in, I even posted in this thread seeking clarification on the picks. Bohsman then picked which should have given Llyod 12 hours to make a pick. Next thing Bubs decides to go ahead of Llyod, myself & Melion.

You Lloyd an Melion all had their 12 hours. I "decided" to go because it was my turn and I have an exam in 2 hours and didn't want to create a hold up, unlike some people

BTW, Tugay is a good pick. Wanted him next round

• Advertisement

People are keen to apply the letter of the law when it suits them, but I was trying to give consideration to others.

I wouldn't have picked either Dunne or Tugay, but that's not the point. anyway my pick is made so I guess whoever's after Bubs is up.

Once you've missed you pick its the next person's go, if they miss their pick it's the next person's.
    That doesnt meant the person after you who also missed their go has to wait for you to go.
    It's quite clear that when you miss your pick you make it again at the nearest possible time.
    If you logged in yesterday you should have made your pick

Bubs101 wrote: »

You Lloyd an Melion all had their 12 hours. I "decided" to go because it was my turn and I have an exam in 2 hours and didn't want to create a hold up, unlike some Iagos

I "decided" to wait to give others who were entitled to pick before me every opportunity to make a pick because I realise that life[size=-12]TM[/size] sometimes delays people who have the best of intentions.

Ultimately I'm happier with my position than I would have been with yours, but I'm sure that works both ways.

I "decided" to wait to give others who were entitled to pick before me every opportunity to make a pick because I realise that life[size=-12]TM[/size] sometimes delays people who have the best of intentions.

But the point is that the rules from the outset were that if you weren't going to be around then the game would move on without you. If the draft was based on good intentions it'd take years to complete.

Once you've missed you pick its the next person's go, if they miss their pick it's the next person's.
    That doesnt meant the person after you who also missed their go has to wait for you to go.
    It's quite clear that when you miss your pick you make it again at the nearest possible time.
    If you logged in yesterday you should have made your pick

I don't agree that it's quite clear, in fact I think it's the first time that the rules have actually been applied to the letter. I just think that either we're doing this as a community which means making allowances for other members of the community or we're all just out for number 1.

Either way it really doesn't make a fundamental difference to life or anything else of relevance, and just like football once the heat is taken away with time nobody is going to remember or care about it anyway.

I "decided" to wait to give others who were entitled to pick before me .

They weren't entitled, they lost their slot.

If you made an appointment witha doctor or dentist and the dude before you missed his time would you habg around until he got there or just go in? I fail to see any problem and I'm pretty sure Lloyd would agree. Having done one of these before you relise that the differnece between 1 or 2 slots is minimal, but the impact of 1 pick in 3 or 4 days can destroy the momentum of the thread and draft which is more important

I don't agree that it's quite clear, in fact I think it's the first time that the rules have actually been applied to the letter. I just think that either we're doing this as a community which means making allowances for other members of the community or we're all just out for number 1.

But when Eirebear went away for two weeks the thing wasn't put on hold for him. He was skipped and then caught up when he was back. That's the same thing as what's happening here.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about a DMC for my team and am ashamed to say I completely forgot about Boatang. Nice pick.

Either way it really doesn't make a fundamental difference to life or anything else of relevance, and just like football once the heat is taken away with time nobody is going to remember or care about it anyway.

Explain? Or are you just making broad sweeping statements because you feel you've been wronged?
    The rules have been applied well so far.
    Basically the rules state that if you miss your go it's on you to catch up yourself.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

aye when I was in hospitalio I was expecting my picks to passed over and they would of been probably within the hour but I was just lucky.
    The rule on this is clear, There's no grey area.

Boateng is a good pick. He was my backup if Gravesen had been taken. I'm getting really frustrated with the pace of this.

Boateng is a good pick. He was my backup if Gravesen had been taken. I'm getting really frustrated with the pace of this.

In fairness it has picked up a good bit today. Must be 5 or 6 picks in the last 24 hours or so.

• Advertisement

Explain? Or are you just making broad sweeping statements because you feel you've been wronged?
    The rules have been applied well so far.
    Basically the rules state that if you miss your go it's on you to catch up yourself.

To clarify, firstly I don't really feel I've been wronged. I didn't miss out on a player I was looking to pick, so there isn't really a self-serving reasoning behind what I'm saying.

Secondly the only time the rules have been applied to the letter of the law was as mentioned by Xavi a few posts back. Eirebear declared he would be away for 2 weeks and was thanked for being honest and picks went ahead without him.

On many other occasions since then we've gone far more than 24 hours initially, and then more than 12 hours when the new rule came in without a pick being made. I'm as frustrated as anyone else by the length of time this is taking, but at the same time I acted out of a personal sense of community by delaying my pick.

To close this off, from my point of view anyway, my issue isn't with Bubs personally (he just happened to be the one that made a pick) but with the application or non-application of the rules when it suits. To be brutally honest it's not even an issue that I'll be thinking about in an hours time, just like a flashpoint in a game all forgotten about before we even leave the field.

On many other occasions since then we've gone far more than 24 hours initially, and then more than 12 hours when the new rule came in without a pick being made. I'm as frustrated as anyone else by the length of time this is taking, but at the same time I acted out of a personal sense of community by delaying my pick.

Well you cant expect some to be sitting at their computer waiting for someone's else's go to expire when the person who's go it is isn't even bothered to make their pick?
    Of course people are going to miss their go's, and there will be times, like now, when three or four people miss their go.
    It's all down to whoever realises they can go to make a pick to keep it moving.

Is it the lack of pork getting everyone down?

I'd do terrible things for Clonakilty sausages right now.

I'd do terrible things for Clonakilty sausages right now. I'd forego my next pick for a pack.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Alot of butchers are stocking bacon from denmark thankfully. It's not the same but it'll do a job.

I'd do terrible things for Clonakilty sausages right now. I'd forego my next pick for a pack.

That can be arranged....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is Eirebear up now?

Yup

Wiltord is a great pick. Someone I was hoping to get in around 2 picks or so.
    He was my favourite Arsenal player for a long time

• Advertisement
Advertisement