Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Pick made. :cool:

Was hoping he's be forgotten about... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yea me too, for some silly reason I had hoped beyond hope that he would fly under the rader, ironic considering he doesn't like to fly.....

nice pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

DENNISHHHHH BERGKAMP AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If I were involved in this game, Bergkamp would definitely be my number 1 choice for 1st pick. My favourite footballer of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

I had bergkamp and Shearer as my top 2 selections and they went the 2 spots above me !!

Went for King Eric instead.

I have a youtube link but how to you get it to appear properly ? I put the Youtube brackets around it but doesnt seem to like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Another great choice. There won't be many great strikers left at this rate!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I went for Zola. Legend!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

now we're picking up momentum I just need to get to my first choice I have a massive shortlist and will get a good team but I just need 1/2 of 3/4 players to kick it up a notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

wardie wrote: »
    I had bergkamp and Shearer as my top 2 selections and they went the 2 spots above me !!

Went for King Eric instead.

I have a youtube link but how to you get it to appear properly ? I put the Youtube brackets around it but doesnt seem to like that
    On the youtube page if you look to the right of the player screen there are two lines of text. One of them says embed and thats what you copy and paste between the youtube brackets.

• Advertisement

Ballsies, Zola was going to be one of mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

ok thats Bergkamp, Zola, and Cantona out the window......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bah, Bergkamp was my first choice. Even had a youtube video ready to go :mad:

Ok off to do mine now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nice pick - a really solid base for any team. Good that the goalkeepers are getting some love early doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I count 6 people before I'm up. I've kind of a busy day, so if I don't get it done during the day I'll definitely get it done soon after 6 when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm surprised Seaman has been picked this early. Great keeper in his day though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I'm surprised Seaman has been picked this early. Great keeper in his day though.

+1. He's a good keeper but I don't think he'd be top of the pecking order after Peter and I'm pretty sure that he's one of the guys you could have held off on because people remember him more for his mistakes than his saves

Bubs101 wrote: »
    +1. He's a good keeper but I don't think he'd be top of the pecking order after Peter and I'm pretty sure that he's one of the guys you could have held off on because people remember him more for his mistakes than his saves

From my completely biased Arsenal point of view I'll have to disagree.
    What other keepers spring to mind that played in the premiership that were as good as him?
    Cech and Given come the closest, but Peter and David are a head and shoulders above the rest...

I've got to agree, as much as i cant stand Seaman (He did after all let that trickler through his legs against Holland in 96:mad:). He has been probably one of the greatest keepers England has ever produced

For me Schmeichel and Seaman are head and shoulders above the rest. No one comes close to those two in terms of legendary status. The next tier of keeper probably consists of Given, Cech, James and possibly Flowers.

Frisbee wrote: »
    From my completely biased Arsenal point of view I'll have to disagree.
    What other keepers spring to mind that played in the premiership that were as good as him?
    Cech and Given come the closest, but Peter and David are a head and shoulders above the rest...

Personally speaking, I'd certainly have at the very least Cech ahead of him. Pre rugby helmet he was immense and he rarely made the mistakes that Seaman was prone to doing. Obviously he can't match the legendary status that Xavi eluded to because he hasn't been here as long but for my money, he has outperformed Seaman at a time when the standard is much higher

• Advertisement

Seaman was without doubt the best keeper england produced since peter shilton and gordon banks, whether or not he was better then the likes of peter cech is debatable.

Maybe we should not mention other names for fear that it might give other people ideas for picks?

Xavi is clearly going to produce a team of mustachioed superstars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

shoutman wrote: »
    Maybe we should not mention other names for fear that it might give other people ideas for picks?

+1

Sorry, didn't realise the ability of Petr Cech was a closely guarded secret:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I have to say this has been fascinating so far, very surprised at some picks and the discussion is interesting also - fair play Lloyd, great idea. The delay between picks is becoming a bit of a drag though :P

Just on Seaman. I'd have to say that I agree that he was second only to Schmeichel. The two of them were commanding at club level.
    On the Nayim goal, iirc he was suffering from broken ribs or something like that and was wearing a special vest/support to protect those. The fact that he was even playing truly shows the greatness of the man. You wouldn't see keepers playing today with that sort of injury. As a matter of fact there are very few keepers throughout history who would have played in those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I've pm'd Tauren with a link to the picks thread. After 2.00am the next in order will be able to go.

So Tauren takes Ruud. Didnt think he'd go quite so fast, cant fault his scoring record though

So Tauren takes Ruud. Didnt think he'd go quite so fast, cant fault his scoring record though

I thought people would forget about him. He was my second choice

Ruud was a great player. What a finisher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ruud was a great player. What a finisher

Was??

wtf was?

IS

you know, players don't die after leaving the epl.

Des wrote: »
    Was??

wtf was?

IS

Generally Scottish players die when they GO to the EPL :(

Des wrote: »
    Was??

wtf was?

IS

I am aware of his continued brilliance with Real, and i do also watch Spanish football.

I was, however, speaking of him in the context of the Premier League, which is what this thread is all about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wasn't expecting it to be Ruuuuud but it's a top pick. Still a lot of greats out there.

Ruud was definitely one of the strongest strikers to ever grace the league.

He's out of this world at times for Madrid too. It's like watching a different player, with surging runs and screamers from 20+ yards!

with surging runs and screamers from 20+ yards!

Ruud van Nistelrooy has NEVER scored from outside the box and you know it!!!

Titan18 chose Scholes, this I am surprised at, definately a quality player but to see him so high up when there are players of similar enough ability who will be gotten later on.

Definately underrated though imo.

Titan18 chose Scholes, this I am surprised at, definately a quality player but to see him so high up when there are players of similar enough ability who will be gotten later on.

Definately underrated though imo.
    Have to agree, he was very good in his position, but United never seemed to suffer much when he missed games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

eagle eye wrote: »
    Have to agree, he was very good in his position, but United never seemed to suffer much when he missed games.
    Thats not true, Scholes is Man Utds most creative centre midfielder and we most certainly are not as strong without him. Just look at the end of the 2005-06 season when Scholes was ruled out of the second half of the season with blurred vision, Utd really missed him and Chelsea won the league. Next season Scholes came back and was amazing playing a pivitol part in us winning the league and was named in the Premiership team of the season. I dread the day when Scholesy hangs up his boots, amazing player and a model pro to boot.

• Advertisement

Thats not true, Scholes is Man Utds most creative centre midfielder and we most certainly are not as strong without him. Just look at the end of the 2005-06 season when Scholes was ruled out of the second half of the season, Utd really missed him and Chelsea won the league. Next season Scholes came back and was amazing playing a pivitol part in us winning the league. I dread the day when Scholesy hangs up his boots, amazing player and a model pro to boot.

Im in agreeance with this TBH, Scholes is a player i ave always admired and was another of my first pick team to go elsewhere.

Damn it, Scholes was one I had in mind for my first pick.

Ruud van Nistelrooy has NEVER scored from outside the box and you know it!!!

Yep he has. Banged one in against Charlton at The Valley :D

Man the wait is killing me!

Im placed around the midle too, so its gonna be like this every time :(

I think my first pick (if i get him) could be a surprise inclusion at this stage

Quick question - if we pick a player who's still playing Prem football, do we go on their current form or do we assume it's the player at his peak? For example, the last pick was Robbie Fowler so would it be the Fowler of the 90s with Liverpool?

It would be Robbie Fowler at his mid 90s peak I presume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Quick question - if we pick a player who's still playing Prem football, do we go on their current form or do we assume it's the player at his peak? For example, the last pick was Robbie Fowler so would it be the Fowler of the 90s with Liverpool?

I really hope its not current form!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It would be Robbie Fowler at his mid 90s peak I presume.
    I really hope its not current form!

Yeah I figured as much, but the pick I have in mind *may* be along the same lines so I wanted to be absolutely sure :)

So you're going for a has-been? It's Giggs isn't it?!

No!

<_<

>_>

Yea it's gotta be your team when each individual was playing at his peak.

Fowler certaintly is an interesting pick but 20 goals a season striker can never be too bad.

I'm glad to see some of my first pick thoughts still haven't been taken yet and I'm not up for another 10 picks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement