Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hi lads, sorry I missed my window - away in Eindhoven for the Liverpool game.

I'm taking Steve Finnan. Will do a write up later. I have just gone through the picks thread and the spreadsheet is now fully updated. In doing that I got to see some of the new write ups. In my opinion, it's great to see that people are putting a bit of thought into their selections and taking the time to argue their corner. The pace at the moment is pretty good aswell. Great stuff.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

was on my list - oh well - good call though Finnan put in a great shift with Fulham and even better at liverpool, alot would argue he was the best right back in the league for a few seasons so you did well to get him in whatever round this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Hi lads, sorry I missed my window - away in Eindhoven for the Liverpool game.

I'm taking Steve Finnan. Will do a write up later. I have just gone through the picks thread and the spreadsheet is now fully updated. In doing that I got to see some of the new write ups. In my opinion, it's great to see that people are putting a bit of thought into their selections and taking the time to argue their corner. The pace at the moment is pretty good aswell. Great stuff.

can you clear up what the story is regarding injuries?

Rosicky was picked earlier; and I would argue he is a poor pick based on the fact he is injured more than 50% of his premiership time. Others were arguing we are picking teams for a one off game so injury problems should be of no concern at all.

Whats the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bah I had Distin earmarked for left full in Round 8.

Picking in Round 7 now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Berkovic is a good pick Xavi.

Was trying to decide between him and someone else in that position. you've made my mind up for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Frisbee wrote: »
    Was trying to decide between him and someone else in that position. you've made my mind up for me.

Sorry to break it to you but Vela is 34 appearances short

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you but Vela is 34 appearances short

Wha?
    DAMN IT!

Right I'm removing myself from the Draft. My team just won't work now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If you're looking for an attacking central midfield player then I don't think there's anyone else left that's better than Berkovic. It's a very good shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Bubs101 wrote: »
    How Heskey and Crouch got picked before Viduka I will never understand.

Simple, I can't stand the fat lazy git. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just a quick one Lloyd, you've missed my #6 pick. I took Darren Anderton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Melion wrote: »
    Just a quick one Lloyd, you've missed my #6 pick. I took Darren Anderton

He's down as my pick but I took Robin Van Persie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

can you clear up what the story is regarding injuries?

Rosicky was picked earlier; and I would argue he is a poor pick based on the fact he is injured more than 50% of his premiership time. Others were arguing we are picking teams for a one off game so injury problems should be of no concern at all.

Whats the story?

I would say it comes into it, I would hope to keep my team together for more than one match. 50% of Rosickys premiership career means hes only played 44 games, he really hasnt proved himself as a star player over a sustained run in the Arsenal team while "sicknote" Darren Anderton managed over 300 games to really prove his worth to a Premiership draft team. Theres always going to be arguments over players like Torres, Anderton and Rosicky, Lloyd giving his opinion really isnt going to change anyones mind.

bohsman wrote: »
    I would say it comes into it, I would hope to keep my team together for more than one match. 50% of Rosickys premiership career means hes only played 44 games, he really hasnt proved himself as a star player over a sustained run in the Arsenal team while "sicknote" Darren Anderton managed over 300 games to really prove his worth to a Premiership draft team. Theres always going to be arguments over players like Torres, Anderton and Rosicky, Lloyd giving his opinion really isnt going to change anyones mind.
    but as he set up the game I would view him as some sort of deity.... or at least be an arbitrator when it comes to rulings such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

but as he set up the game I would view him as some sort of deity.... or at least be an arbitrator when it comes to rulings such as this.

Problem with him being an arbitrator is that he has a team in the game, so his opinions will always be slightly biased even with the best of intentions.

well, we have to come up with a solution some how. Personally I don't see how injury problems can be discounted, but some disagree. It will be an important point when some teams are discussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I think the whole thing comes down to opinions and ideas mitch.

When the teams are discussed im fairly sure the likes of Anderton's injuries will come into some peoples minds.
    I dont think there is any black and white ruling when it comes to opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think their is one attacking midfielder who would be regarded as a good pick, and I'm slightly surprised he hasn;t been picked up yet, I've pretty much got my attacking options covered other then another winger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

shoutman wrote: »
    I think their is one attacking midfielder who would be regarded as a good pick, and I'm slightly surprised he hasn;t been picked up yet, I've pretty much got my attacking options covered other then another winger...

ya, I think I know who you're on about. If its the same guy he should have been picked ahead of a lot of midfielders already picked and theres another midfielder in my mind who should be picked in the next round

Well the attacking midfielder I had in mind definately has his faults and could well realise why people would be hesitant to pick him...

• Advertisement

shoutman, shush!!!! I'm thinking of the same player and he's my next pick.

I was bored last night so started looking online, i came up without about 15-20 defenders who still haven't been picked. Shocked that some of them have slipped through the net.

We should have 'The Ones That Got Away' thread when it's done.

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »

I was thinking that. Would be funny to see some of the shíte players picked while quality players were left out

I agree, it would be good

Yea like Barnes in the fifth round :(, I was kind of just hoping that Mr Nice Guy would defend him to the hilt, Barnes being a liverpool legend and that, but I'm increasingly finding him as my main mistake in this draft.

I think other then Barnes I have a solid team. I know there was a lot of "ooh Young is an interesting pick" but I think he is one of the best players in my team. The kid is a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just like intangible mental qualities (heart, professionalism, determination, etc) there can be no precise weighting of how injury problems should influence a final assessment of players and teams. But just like off the pitch behavior and on the pitch attitude are somewhat relevant in judging a player's worth - if they are made of glass should also be a concern.

While it is a once off game, like any once off game you would bank on the more consistently awesome players to show up for you on the day. So, the likes of Keane, Vieira, Scholes and Schmeicel should be considered in one way; the likes of Gerrard, Ronaldo and Le Tessier another way. And so on, etc, in terms of performance.

And then players like Anderton, Rednapp and Rosicky yet another way. Because the chances that they would hobble off at some point or suffer a decrease in performance because of a knock or a niggle is relatively higher.

Oscar is right in that people will have to reach their own opinions and I can't make voters view the information through a well defined set of criteria. But given that the core question at hand is 'impact on the premiership over an entire premiership career': it follows that constant trips to the treatment table will taint a player's legacy to some degree. And, as such, it should color our end assessment of them in some way.

• Advertisement

+1
    Was thinking this myself.
    My shortlist has a lot of players from the same position on it who I don't think will be picked

12 hours are up so I presume wardie can go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah, can someone pm wardie and get him going, I'm getting impatient, its been too long since my last pick.:D

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah, can someone pm wardie and get him going, I'm getting impatient, its been too long since my last pick.:D

I sent him a PM there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭wardie

Pick made, PM sent

• Advertisement

Great choice, i was hoping he'd be forgotten about. Top of my shortlist of defenders.

Interesting pick. I wouldn't have considered him but it shows the level of talent at left back that he was picked. There is one other left back I can think of who I'd have picked ahead of him, but its a solid choice as long as you have a left midfielder capable of defending and who'll come back to cover. I don't know if Merson was that type of player as I was a bit young then, but if he is a hrad working midfield play, you made a good pick. If not, well it won't be too fun for you on that side of the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is there any page listing the teams as they currently are?

No astrofool at present there isn't, I suggested it a while back, but it got overlooked.

Would be handy I suppose, maybe if we could get it stickied as there would only be one post per person in it.

I have it listed for my own personal benefit
    but i'm unsure wether to be nice or keep it for myself it's tactically convenient.

Frisbee - (GK)Peter Schmeichel (RB)Lee Dixon (LB)Nigel Winterburn (DC)Lucas Radebe (DC) (MR) (ML) (MC)Ray Parlour (MC) (FW)Dion Dublin (FW)Nicolas Anelka

Wreck - (GK) (RB) (LB)Gael Clichy (DC)Colin Hendry (DC) (MR)Freddie Ljungberg (ML)Damien Duff (MC)Roy Keane (MC) (FW)Ole Gunnar Solskjær (FW)

whatawaster - (GK) (RB) (LB) (DC) (DC) (MR)Steve McManaman (ML) (MC)Dietmar Hamman (MC)Thomas Gravesen (FW)Thierry Henry (FW)Robbie Keane

eagle eye - (GK)Neville Southall (RB) (LB) (DC)Nemanja Vidic (DC)Martin Laursen (MR) (ML) (MC)Claude Makelele (MC) (FW)Alan Shearer (FW)Peter Beardsley

Mr.Nice Guy - (GK)Edwin Van Der Sar (RB) (LB) (DC)Rio Ferdinand (DC) (MR) (ML)Arjen Robben (MC)Emmanuel Petit (MC)Michael Carrick (FW)Dennis Bergkamp (FW)

wardie - (GK)Nigel Martyn (RB) (LB)Silviniho (DC)Martin Keown (DC) (MR)Paul Merson (ML)Nolberto Solano (MC) (MC) (FW)Eric Cantona (FW)Dwight Yorke

gonzovision - (GK)Carlo Cuidicini (RB) (LB) (DC)William Gallas (DC)Micah Richards (MR) (ML)Stewart Downing (MC)Paul Ince (MC) (FW)Gianfranco Zola (FW)

Xavi6 - (GK)David Seaman (RB) (LB) (DC)Ricardo Carvalho (DC)Gareth Southgate (MR) (ML) (MC)Olivier Dacourt (MC)Eyal Berkovic (FW)Les Ferdinand (FW)Stan Collymore

Tauren/mitch - (GK) (RB) (LB) (DC)Kolo Toure (DC)Sylvan Distin (MR)Andrei Kanchelskis (ML)Mikel Arteta (MC)Frank Lampard (MC)Xabi Alonso (FW)R.V. Nistelrooy (FW)

titan18 - (GK)Jussi Jaaskelainen (RB) (LB)Dennis Irwin (DC)Steve Bould (DC) (MR) (ML) (MC)Paul Scholes (FW)Mark Viduka (FW)Paolo Di Canio (FW)Eidur Gudjohnson

janets on clubs - (GK)Mark Bosnich (RB) (LB)Steven Staunton (DC)Olaf Mellberg (DC) (MR) (ML)Robin Van Persie (MC)Gary Speed (MC) (FW)Robbie Fowler (FW)Fernando Torres

NekkidBibleMan - (GK) (RB) (LB) (DC)Frank LeBoeuf (DC) (MR)Juninho (ML)Tomas Rosicky (MC)Gary McAllister (MC)Javier Mascherano (FW)Matt le Tissier (FW)Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Necronomicon - (GK)David James (RB) (LB) (DC)Jaap Stam (DC)Henning Berg (MR)Sylvain Wiltord (ML)Ryan Giggs (MC) (MC) (FW)Gus Poyet (FW)Dimitar Berbatov

Eirebear - (GK)Antti Niemi (RB)Dan Petrescu (LB) (DC)Tony Adams (DC) (MR) (ML) (MC)Chris Waddle (MC)Tim Cahill (FW)Ian Wright (FW)Peter Crouch

Bubs101 - (GK) (RB)Gary Neville (LB) (DC)Ledley King (DC)Richard Dunne (MR)Cristiano Ronaldo (ML)Joe Cole (MC)Jay Jay Okocha (MC)Dennis Wise (FW) (FW)

Melion - (GK)Shay Given (RB) (LB) (DC)Sami Hyppia (DC) (MR)Darren Anderton (ML) (MC)Rob Lee (MC)Tugay (FW)Teddy Sheringham (FW)Yakubu

Iago - (GK)Pepe Reina (RB) (LB) (DC)Jamie Carragher (DC) (MR)David Beckham (ML) (MC)Nicky Butt (MC)George Boateng (FW)Andy Cole (FW)Emile Heskey

LuckyLloyd - (GK)Brad Friedal (RB) (LB) (DC)Marcel Desailly (DC) (MR)David Ginola (ML)Harry Kewell (MC)Patrick Vieira (MC) (FW)Chris Sutton (FW)

bohsman - (GK) (RB) (LB)Stuart Pearce (DC)John Terry (DC) (MR)Tony Yeboah (ML) (MC)Roberto Di Matteo (MC)Gilberto Silva (FW)Mark Hughes (FW)Louis Saha

ditpoker - (GK)Tim Flowers (RB) (LB)Ashley Cole (DC)Gary Pallister (DC)Steve Bruce (MR) (ML) (MC)David Batty (MC)Jamie Rednapp (FW)Darren Bent (FW)

shoutman - (GK) (RB) (LB)Graham Le Saux (DC)Paul McGrath (DC) (MR) (ML)Ashley Young (MC)Steven Gerrard (MC) (FW)Didier Drogba (FW)Carlos Tevez

Trippie - (GK)Petr Cech (RB)Gary Kelly (LB)John Arne Riise (DC) (DC) (MR) (ML)Matheu Flamini (MC)Cesc Fabregas (MC)John Barnes (FW)Wayne Rooney (FW)Kevin Phillips

mayordenis - (GK) (RB) (LB) (DC)Sol Campbell (DC)Daniel Agger (MR)Shaun Wright Phillips (ML)Robert Pires (MC)Gareth Barry (MC)Kevin Nolan (FW)Jurgen Klinnsman (FW)

RasTa - (GK) (RB) (LB)Patrice Evra (DC)Jonathan Woodgate (DC) (MR) (ML)Marc Overmars (MC)Michael Essien (MC)Michael Ballack (FW)Michael Owen (FW)Emmanuel Adeybayor

nobody say a word to me about editing/formation - I know they're not right I also do not care. I'm also not overly happy to share this I think it will **** me up.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Frisbee - (GK)Peter Schmeichel (RB)Lee Dixon (LB)Nigel Winterburn (DC)Lucas Radebe (DC) (MR) (ML) (MC)Ray Parlour (MC) (FW)Dion Dublin (FW)Nicolas Anelka

Havent picked him :)

No astrofool at present there isn't, I suggested it a while back, but it got overlooked.

Would be handy I suppose, maybe if we could get it stickied as there would only be one post per person in it.

llyod threatened to do a mid pick analysis of all the squads to date but has been too busy/crafty to get it done so far...

Good pick there Wardie, I had him earmarked for later rounds, was sure he would be forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Fair play mayordenis. It shouldn't really put anyone at a disadvantage, most people post their current team at the end of the pick.

• Advertisement

I have John Barnes, not Trippie. But other then that its good to look at the teams.
    Anybody think it would be a bit of fun to name people's teams who you think are currently the best? (doing so without giving any explanations, obviously some teams are hard to judge due to the fact they are missing people in key positions etc but it might be fun.)

Anybody think it would be a bit of fun to name people's teams who you think are currently the best? (doing so without giving any explanations, obviously some teams are hard to judge due to the fact they are missing people in key positions etc but it might be fun.)
    I don't think there is any point in that at this stage. The next few picks is where you might see a weakness in teams. The whole point of this is to pick a full team.

Yes but there are still some teams who at present look, to me anyway, like they have the best players so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pick made. Pleased to get him. I didn't PM eagle eye as I believe he's about to pick now.

Fair play mayordenis. It shouldn't really put anyone at a disadvantage, most people post their current team at the end of the pick.

not so much a disadvantage but I have been looking at the amount of people who still need central defenders, it's on of the reasons that I think will make my agger choice less strange in the end.

Pick made and pm sent. Interested in comments on my latest pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

2 good solid picks there. I had kind of hoped that Defoe would be completely forgotten about but alas not. Great poacher although the combination of him and Bergkamp could be a little lightweight. Had completely forgotten about townsend but he is a good distributor of the ball which in my search I have decided is a rare quality for a not attacking midfielder in the Premiership.

I loved the way that after the intensive Townsend write up there was the line "no best of Andy Townsend on youtube". Made me laugh anyway

can't argue with either of those picks, defoe is a really top striker and would no doubt do a job at any of the top sides, or well any side for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Pick made, PM Sent

• Advertisement

even allowing for the abrupt end to his career I think Rob Jones is a great pick at this point. Was on my list from day 1 but each round I felt I'd get one more round without anyone picking him up, guess I was wrong this time ;)

Advertisement