Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

12 hours must be up by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Interesting piece on Walker on F365 today -

http://football365.com/john_nicholson/0,17033,8746_4649278,00.html

I only remember his last few years vividly but even then he was class.

Yeah, good player, can't help but feel he wasn't the same player after returning to England. Thought he was better in the earlier part of his career, before he started picking up those injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Am I up now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

looks like it

Pick made, happy to have Lauren.

One DC away from having an incredibly solid back four.
    Team thus far, still not sure about Barnes playing on the left or in the middle, i'm open to all legitimate transfer offers by the way.

Lauren---McGrath
    Le Saux
    Young
    Gerard
    Barnes
    Tevez

Drogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lauren is a good pick alright but I don't agree that he is the last available good right back. Definitely a few others remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

shoutman wrote: »
    i'm open to all legitimate transfer offers by the way.

I wish to buy Paul McGrath for next to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Don't like the Lennon pick. Shouldn't be anywhere near this draft tbh.

I think Jeff's yiddish ways were shining through with that pick, he's not terrible and there aren't a lot of good wingers left available, still surprised that he is in the draft though.

As for what I said with regards transfer offers for my players I mean swapping players with someone else and also swapping trades.

Ie. I'd swap Barnes and my last pick for DIT's next two picks, I think he'd be a brilliant addition to Jeff's all english squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lennon..... bah! Awful just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Lennon is a weird pick all right.I also am a bit surprised at the Hreidarsson pick.

2 strange picks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Aaron Lennon: people are questioning the impact of a player who was voted by his fellow professionals to number 3 in the young player of the year award in 05-06 and 06-07, 3rd behind cesc fabregas and cristiano ronaldo, not bad company to be keeping. In the last major competition england qualified for they scored more goals with him on the pitch than without him. He is an england international... and, he's only 21!! and he is, according to nike, the fastest player in the premiership with a ball at his feet. I'm all for questioning the merits of people's selections, and i'm sure some of my picks have been viewed as dodgy, but to question whether one of the top three youngsters in the country for the last 3 years merits inclusion in the draft is bizarre. if you genuinely don't understand the logic behind such a pick then i have to question the football understanding possessed by those who dont understand it.

Only one person has questioned the inclusion of herman hreiderson, who at his peak was at portsmouth last season. He is a hugely average defender, and if im not mistaken, a left back by trade. And he doesnt REGULARLY play for portsmouth.

And not one person has questioned the inclusion of des walker? DES WALKER!? Impact on the premiership, let us assess - Since the premiership began he played for Sheff Wednesday, for a period up until sheff wednesday's relegation in 2000, they never once finished above 7th (much like hreiderson, but lennon has finished 5th twice, but anyway). In that same period walker was part of the shambles of an england squad that failed to qualify for World Cup 94, (giving away the penelty against holland which led to them struggling to qualify) and was subsequently dropped. He didnt make the euro 96 team, england's most successful period in recent memory. Meanwhile sheff wednesday went from bad to worse leading to their eventual relegation... and no one questions this pick!?!?!? but aaron lennon, 21 year old looking for a recall to the national squad currenly, and one of the only remaining "get you out of your seat" footballers left in the league... he's a terrible pick!!!

/end rant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

ditpoker wrote: »
    Aaron Lennon: people are questioning the impact of a player who was voted by his fellow professionals to number 3 in the young player of the year award in 05-06 and 06-07, 3rd behind cesc fabregas and cristiano ronaldo, not bad company to be keeping. In the last major competition england qualified for they scored more goals with him on the pitch than without him. He is an england international... and, he's only 21!! and he is, according to nike, the fastest player in the premiership with a ball at his feet. I'm all for questioning the merits of people's selections, and i'm sure some of my picks have been viewed as dodgy, but to question whether one of the top three youngsters in the country for the last 3 years merits inclusion in the draft is bizarre. if you genuinely don't understand the logic behind such a pick then i have to question the football understanding possessed by those who dont understand it.

Only one person has questioned the inclusion of herman hreiderson, who at his peak was at portsmouth last season. He is a hugely average defender, and if im not mistaken, a left back by trade. And he doesnt REGULARLY play for portsmouth.

And not one person has questioned the inclusion of des walker? DES WALKER!? Impact on the premiership, let us assess - Since the premiership began he played for Sheff Wednesday, for a period up until sheff wednesday's relegation in 2000, they never once finished above 7th (much like hreiderson, but lennon has finished 5th twice, but anyway). In that same period walker was part of the shambles of an england squad that failed to qualify for World Cup 94, (giving away the penelty against holland which led to them struggling to qualify) and was subsequently dropped. He didnt make the euro 96 team, england's most successful period in recent memory. Meanwhile sheff wednesday went from bad to worse leading to their eventual relegation... and no one questions this pick!?!?!? but aaron lennon, 21 year old looking for a recall to the national squad currenly, and one of the only remaining "get you out of your seat" footballers left in the league... he's a terrible pick!!!

/end rant!
    Jaysus you have been so full of **** in this thing from start to finish it really is unreal. The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

what boggles about my argument?

you're a fan of stats Mr US SPORTS, explain to me, using stats, why des walker represents better value than aaron lennon when considering "impact" on the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Des Walker is a terrific pick. He was in my thoughts.

I think Aaron Lennon is a good pick too considering the shortage of wingers left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

And not one person has questioned the inclusion of des walker? DES WALKER!?

At least two people questioned the inclusion of Des Walker, myself included. At the same time as a round 8 pick and given the possible centre-halfs left at this point Walker isn't necessarily a bad pick. Had he gone in round 1-4 there would be a different argument.

There's no doubting that by 92/93 his impact was waning, he was on the verge of losing his place in the England side (and did so at the end of the year). After that he played in a Wednesday side that didn't exactly set the world alight, but at the same time they didn't concede a huge number of goals relative to their finishing position each year. They were a below average side that probably got better results because of one or two above average players of which Walker was one. So although you could question the merits of Walker as a pick, I think the stage he went at and given who else was left was probably jusitifed.

In much the same vein I think Aaron Lennon is a decent value pick at this stage of the draft, sure he's still a bit of a rough diamond but the reality is that there have been very few out and out wingers that have shone in the premiership. There's no doubting that his end product needs a lot of work, but there's no obvious indication that he won't develop into a top class player either.

Iago wrote: »
    In much the same vein I think Aaron Lennon is a decent value pick at this stage of the draft, sure he's still a bit of a rough diamond but the reality is that there have been very few out and out wingers that have shone in the premiership. There's no doubting that his end product needs a lot of work, but there's no obvious indication that he won't develop into a top class player either.

Very true but the point of the draft is the impact a player has had on the league, not the potential they may have as it's irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Very true but the point of the draft is the impact a player has had on the league, not the potential they may have as it's irrelevant.

Which is a fair comment, and his end product isn't consistent enough at the moment. I think when we see all the teams at the end though there will be few enough wingers who have had a massive impact all the same.

12 hours up for Mayor..... I am picking

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    12 hours up for Mayor..... I am picking
    Cool, just shoot him a PM to let him know to make a pick at his earliest convenience now that the clock has moved on.

what boggles about my argument?

you're a fan of stats Mr US SPORTS, explain to me, using stats, why des walker represents better value than aaron lennon when considering "impact" on the premiership.

Firstly, I didn't post a single thing about the Lennon pick in this thread. At first I was like wtf, but when I thought about the relative depth remaining at the position and the fact that you are only selecting English players I realised that it is a fine pick.

As to why Des Walker is a good pick at this stage?

He is the 34th center back picked. And is a better player than Steve Bruce, the 4th center back taken. And a few others gone before him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Radebe was picked ages ago RasTa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Aye, beat me to it Melion

Melion wrote: »
    Radebe was picked ages ago RasTa

According to the spreadsheet, you have a pick to make from a few rounds ago

Nope, Lloyd has Darren Anderton marked down for someone else on the sheet.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Aye, beat me to it Melion

By the by Frisbee, just noticed the Glenanne link in your sig. Used to play for them myself. You currently playing for one of the teams and, if so, which one?

titan18 wrote: »
    According to the spreadsheet, you have a pick to make from a few rounds ago

Sorry about that. Missed picks confuse me when I update it. :( I'll do a proper sweep of it tomorrow and correct any errors.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    By the by Frisbee, just noticed the Glenanne link in your sig. Used to play for them myself. You currently playing for one of the teams and, if so, which one?

3rds atm. When did you play for them?

Frisbee wrote: »
    3rds atm. When did you play for them?

Oh, a long time ago. I left for UCD in 2001 and didn't come back. The club has pushed on a fair bit over the past few years from what I can make out.

3rds are in division 4 I presume? Decent enough standard.

ffs I searched on the spreadsheet, sort out your spelling..... never mind, dunno why it didn't find it.

• Advertisement

ffs I searched on the spreadsheet, sort out your spelling..... never mind, dunno why it didn't find it.

no

Oh, a long time ago. I left for UCD in 2001 and didn't come back. The club has pushed on a fair bit over the past few years from what I can make out.

3rds are in division 4 I presume? Decent enough standard.

Yeah Division 4.
    We went last season and the season before without losing a single game and won the league both times.
    However we lost our Sweeper, CB, left back, and two of our main forwards this year so we're struggling...

no

~Yes, change Fabrice to Patrice.

Pick made and PM sent

Radebe is spelt correct on the spreadsheet

titan18 wrote: »
    Radebe is spelt correct on the spreadsheet

He changed it after I had my embarrassed moan! I'm so stuck for a player I'm thinking of sticking Ji-Sung Park at right mid

He changed it after I had my embarrassed moan! I'm so stuck for a player I'm thinking of sticking Ji-Sung Park at right mid

I'll swap you my shortlist of players for Marc Overmars ;)

Keller is a great pick imo.

This draft is affecting me deeply though, I've had two dreams about it in the past week. Last night I dreamt that my team finished last, I think it is showing up deep psychological problems.

Bullard is a great pick, so is Keller at this stage of the draw. Totally forgot about him

Yeah I'm in work at the moment and can't concentrate on anything else. I have picked two players as a replacement for Rad but chickened out at the last minute before posting.

• Advertisement

Keller is a solid choice, and one of probably two really good keepers left.

Since everyone is going for keepers....

Since everyone is going for keepers....

is that Chris Kirkland? Damn you to hell!

Pick made, PM sent. John Beresford. Not many left backs left

Not sold on Kirkland myself. Another who raises the question on injuries.

Beresford was on my shortlist.

The picks are flyin out today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Hmmm I wanted to pick a CM next but at the rate left-backs are going, I might have to reconsider. There are still a few quality players left in the position, which is why I've left it until now. Beresford is a good pick.

Whatawaster has a very nice tema there...

Not sold on Kirkland myself. Another who raises the question on injuries.

Beresford was on my shortlist.

The picks are flyin out today!

He had the Liverpool injury curse, was fine when he left. He is the reason Wigan are still in the Premiership. Never going to get a look-in whith Dudek and then Renia ahead of him. Bruce gambled because most clubs thought like yourself, he hasn't being injured since...

He had the Liverpool injury curse, was fine when he left. He is the reason Wigan are still in the Premiership. Never going to get a look-in whith Dudek and then Renia ahead of him. Bruce gambled because most clubs thought like yourself, he hasn't being injured since...

He has been injured since -

Back Injury - 2008 August 5th
    Back Injury - 2008 March 28th
    Arm/Elbow Injury - 2007 February 14th
    Shoulder Injury - 2007 February 9th
    Back Injury - 2006 September 7th

Mick Pollitt has played a decent amount of games to be fair. He's not as bad now though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

sucks alot,
    I never got a pm yesterday just one when I came into work saying like I skipped you, not the person who skipped me's fault but I have to say not fair.

Advertisement