Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mayordenis wrote: »
    sucks alot,
    I never got a pm yesterday just one when I came into work saying like I skipped you, not the person who skipped me's fault but I have to say not fair.

Sorry about that man. If people could pm after they pick it would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Sorry about that man. If people could pm after they pick it would be greatly appreciated.

no biggie anyway - Ian Harte believe it or believe it not was still going to be my pick. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think Kirkland is a great pick. He's shown himself, when fit, to be one of the best keepers in the premiership. He seems to be putting his injury troubles behind him.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Yeah Division 4.
    We went last season and the season before without losing a single game and won the league both times.
    However we lost our Sweeper, CB, left back, and two of our main forwards this year so we're struggling...

Wow, that indicates that the depth at the club these days is very good. When I was there the firsts were one of the best in the country obv, and the seconds could scrape good cup runs together (with the aid of whatever they could siphon off the firsts squad); but after the firsts all the other teams were write offs for the leagues and would lose more games than they won every season. To be in a situation where the 3rds are a consistent force speaks volumes for the work that has been put in.

Sounds tough on ye this year though. Losing a sweeper and center back is a particularly bad blow - crucial positions as you are no doubt aware.

Ah well, sounds like I wouldn't get a look in nowadays. Good stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pick made, happy to get him to complete my back four. I think he was the most competent consistent player left for that position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Wright is a decent pick alright, he was one of the LBs on my short list. I'm still happy with a couple that are remaining though.

Might be a bit early to talk about this, but how is the cup-style KO going to work? Randomly picked against each other?

Wright is a decent pick alright, he was one of the LBs on my short list. I'm still happy with a couple that are remaining though.

Might be a bit early to talk about this, but how is the cup-style KO going to work? Randomly picked against each other?

Aye, I'm going to do a draw and we will have one thread for every game with a poll for 24 hours. Will need to discuss it with the mods in terms of how to do it without clogging the forum. Will lay it out in detail when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Possibly get a subforum just for the matchs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What about this?

Once all the players have been chosen, start a thread just to see if anybody wants to change 1(and 1 only) player on their team for someone who hasnt been chosen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Aye, I'm going to do a draw and we will have one thread for every game with a poll for 24 hours. Will need to discuss it with the mods in terms of how to do it without clogging the forum. Will lay it out in detail when the time comes.

Easiest way imo would be to close and soft delete each thread when it's done. That way they are only visible to the mods and there's no clog for users.

They can be undeleted then when they are down on page 3 or so. Stay locked but can still be viewd.

That's just off the top of my head though.

• Advertisement

shoutman wrote: »
    Possibly get a subforum just for the matchs?
    Melion wrote: »
    What about this?

Once all the players have been chosen, start a thread just to see if anybody wants to change 1(and 1 only) player on their team for someone who hasnt been chosen.
    I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Easiest way imo would be to close and soft delete each thread when it's done. That way they are only visible to the mods and there's no clog for users.

They can be undeleted then when they are down on page 3 or so. Stay locked but can still be viewd.

That's just off the top of my head though.

I'll take all ideas under consideration and work out a decent end game format.

Melion wrote: »
    What about this?

Or a thread for trades between teams.

Are people in favour of trades? I'm not personally. You picked an XI and that's the way it goes.

Are people in favour of trades? I'm not personally. You picked an XI and that's the way it goes.

I'm not in favor of trades or second chances. It's kind of the whole idea imo that you make your picks and you stick by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I can honestly say I've never heard of Wright. Another good Left back left, now hated by the club he played with bit injury prone although prob not enough caps for a big impact.

RasTa wrote: »
    I can honestly say I've never heard of Wright. Another good Left back left, now hated by the club he played with bit injury prone although prob not enough caps for a big impact.

you seem to know a bit about him

Wright was one of my favourite players growing up...

I think trades are acceptable but can all be done through pm so don't see the need for a thread.

Why are trades acceptable? I don't see the need.

"Here, I'll swap you four Djimi Traores for Ashley Cole". Seriously, how would it work?

Why are trades acceptable? I don't see the need.

"Here, I'll swap you four Djimi Traores for Ashley Cole". Seriously, how would it work?

good point. i don't i'd thought it through when i suggested it.

If two people can agree on a trade, ie. swap you gerard for Fabregas, then I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed to happen.

It adds a dimension to the draft but tbh I can't see many/if anyone, wanting to trade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Yeah, I don't see a problem. I've been offered a trade and I found it added a completely new dimension to the draft. There's no harm done if you don't accept like

I don't like the idea of trades.

I don't see any need for trades but if its going to happen, it would have to be a only over a short period and before the discussion or match ups begin. Otherwise you could have someone who loses out giving his buddy a top class player.

Never going to happen, I think other then Jeff, with his all english team nonsense, all other teams are very competitive and thus no one will be ruining their chances by purposely taking a bad trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Heinze is a quality pick at this stage of the game.

Excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

it upsets me more and more every time mr nice guy makes a pick... given that he won this thing a few picks ago (mainly when he picked up carrick) there's no need to keep adding absolute quality with every pick, its unfair on the rest of us! DAMN YOU MR NICE GUY!!!

I completely forgot about heinze. nice pick. Your team is looking good too.

ditpoker wrote: »
    it upsets me more and more every time mr nice guy makes a pick... given that he won this thing a few picks ago (mainly when he picked up carrick)

I'm beginning to think you're a comic genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

His injuries put me off. 52 games in 3 seasons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Four years of michael carrick.
    Year 1. Carrick at Spurs, spurs finish 5th, united win nothing
    Year 2. Carrick at Spurs, spurs finish 5th, united win nothing
    Year 3. Carrick at Man U, spurs are sh1t, Man U win premiership
    Year 4. Carrick at Man U, spurs are sh1t, Man U win premiership and european cup.

Thats saying nothing of the fact that Mr Ferguson (who i reckon knows a thing or two about football) spent £18m on him, gave him roy keane's number and said "he is everything united are missing."

so... pretty funny, arent i!? :p

I completely forgot about heinze. nice pick. Your team is looking good too.

That's who I was talking about, Although my man killed him. Good looking defence and team though.

Four years of michael carrick.
    Year 1. Carrick at Spurs, spurs finish 5th, united win nothing
    Year 2. Carrick at Spurs, spurs finish 5th, united win nothing
    Year 3. Carrick at Man U, spurs are sh1t, Man U win premiership
    Year 4. Carrick at Man U, spurs are sh1t, Man U win premiership and european cup.

Thats saying nothing of the fact that Mr Ferguson (who i reckon knows a thing or two about football) spent £18m on him, gave him roy keane's number and said "he is everything united are missing."

so... pretty funny, arent i!? :p

Ronaldo was the overwhelming influence in years 3 and 4. Him fulfilling his potential was everything United were missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

it upsets me more and more every time mr nice guy makes a pick... given that he won this thing a few picks ago (mainly when he picked up carrick) there's no need to keep adding absolute quality with every pick, its unfair on the rest of us! DAMN YOU MR NICE GUY!!!
    I am 100% sure who Mr NG's right back will be

ITT-Pat wrote: »

Someone "classy" no doubt

I need to figure out this right back, he's a trouble maker and I must twart him.

• Advertisement

No offence Mr Nice Guy but I thought about Heinze and I don't think he is a great pick. He played just over 40 times for United, he was injury prone and apart from his first 20 games, I thought he was awful.

Yeah but Henize is good value for an 8th round pick. 57 games for United.

9th round even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

eagle eye wrote: »
    No offence Mr Nice Guy but I thought about Heinze and I don't think he is a great pick. He played just over 40 times for United, he was injury prone and apart from his first 20 games, I thought he was awful.

I thought Heinze always did a fine job when called upon. He got a bad deal with his injuries and having Evra come in and do so well but as I said in my write-up I think he left a good legacy overall. For me he was the best left-back available and I reckon he is a good fit for my team.
    ITT-Pat wrote:

Interesting. I'm leaning towards one name in particular but I have a few back-ups in mind who I'd be happy with.
    Someone "classy" no doubt

Exactly! They must all ooze class or they're out of there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

mayordenis wrote: »
    sucks alot,
    I never got a pm yesterday just one when I came into work saying like I skipped you, not the person who skipped me's fault but I have to say not fair.

Ye thats ,y fault, i tried pm'ing you after i made my pick but boards was retarded and i tried later as well but it was still retarded and then i forgot to pm you after it was cured

• Advertisement

Trades are absolutely allowed imo.

Obviously, everyone will assume that all their players are class and no - one would ever agree to any deal (:p). BUT, if you can reach an agreement I for one will have no problem with it. Something to think about is the fact that you can trade any amount of players you like as part of a deal (bearing in mind that you need to end up with 11 players!! :pac:).

So, while a straight up player for player deal may not be feasible - throw another player into the mixer and you may get someone to budge.

To combat shenanigans, no trading will be allowed once the playoffs begin.

I'm against this, as I think an interesting part of the process will be a discussion of who didn't get selected who should have been. There is no doubt that players will remain at the end who represent better value than some who have been picked. And I think that bad decisions need to be punished.

12 hours up. Any objection to me picking?

12 hours up. Any objection to me picking?

No, just pm him to inform he has been skipped out of courtesy imo though.

On it

Ok folks, with Christmas approaching I think we have to amend the clock rules to take into account the fact that people will (well I hope they will) be away from their laptop for longer stretches than usual.

As such,

- we will continue with the 12 hour clock until 0.00 GMT on Dec 24;
    - from 0.00 GMT on Dec 24 to 12.00 GMT Dec 26 the clock will be suspended;
    - in effect this means that whoever is next in line cannot be skipped during that period. If they make a pick then great, and the next in line will then have the option. But if they can't, they won't be skipped;
    - the 12 hour clock will be reinstated at 12.00 GMT Dec 26 to 12.00 GMT Dec 31;
    - It will again be suspended from 12.00 GMT Dec 31 to 12.00 GMT January 02;
    - at which point normal service will resume;

If there are any questions on the above please post them here.

Yup, Barton is better than a couple of right backs that went before him too.

Yeah I was very surprised he didn't go a round or two earlier. Glad to have him on board.

Good call on the clock thing btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

yeah barton is a great pick. well done sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Damn you, he was going to be my next pick

• Advertisement
Advertisement