Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Barton and Lescott are both good picks i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol at the pic. Harsh but fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was debating between Lescott and someone else for LB. Guess the choice has been made, assuming the other makes it another round.

That must be 6 or 7 left backs gone in this round.

+1 on the Commander Warf picture :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Pick made and PM sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Christ im in trouble now. Ive a player in mind who can fill in on the left(and im shocked hasnt been picked) although he was more associated with the right side or in the hole. There are so many fullbacks being snapped up now though, i've 2 in mind for either side but im worried they'll be gone by the time my pick comes around again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I love Benny but I can't remember him in his Premiership. Do remember a phenomenal goal he scored for Como though. Classy player

.There is one phenomenal left wing not picked yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

agbonlahor is great value at this stage. he's a fantastic pick. He'd have gone in round 2 or 3 if he was at one of the big 4 cos they get much more media attention. 30 in 100 games for villa is superb, expecially when you consider that in his first season and a half the majority of the first 40+ games are sub appearances. He's a great talent, villa should be more worried about losing him to a big 4 team than losing barry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

will always remember going to Villa vs Leeds in the FA cup and seing Carbone play. My dad being a leeds fan pre-game slagging Benito off calling him a "lil girl, who wont do anything"...

full time Aston Villa 3 - 2 Leeds United

Carbone scored a hat-trick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Carbone is gone?

slkjafhkahfkHGFKhsgkshgkHKHGDKHGKHKDAHKHak

lfksdgfhlkhsdakgfhkhksahkghkhkdhkshgkhgkhkhgk

:(:(:(:(:(:mad:

Yeah, nice pick. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

just throwing up some stats that I'm sure you guys will disect,
    but I really have come back to believing my Sol campbell/Agger Partnership is good.

last 25 games/clean sheets (league and Europe):

Agger 25/13
    Carra 25/12
    Sami 25/11
    Skrtel 25/10

I know it's not proof, but people have highlighted the 2 errors I can remember in his time at liverpool - one was the wigan one (plenty of blame lies with reina) and the other was the one where Drogba ghosted past him the champs league semi's 2 years ago.

He's actually been the best part of a very tight liverpool defense over the last few years when he's played.

and nobody can dispute this

League only my statisticians tell me it's

Agger: 46 games, 26 clean sheets - I'd be surprised if there's a significantly better record anywhere.

And Reina's the best keeper ever because he gets the most clean sheets??? It's the way Liverpool play, they're boring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Bubs101 wrote: »
    And Reina's the best keeper ever because he gets the most clean sheets???

why yes, yes he is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,924 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Liverpool's opposition right now will prefer to see Agger on the team sheet than Carra/Hyppia or Skrtel, he's a weak link that can be exploited. For that reason alone, at the stage he was picked, he was a bad pick.

However, Campbell should be able to keep the defence organised enough. He really is/was a great defender.

And Reina's the best keeper ever because he gets the most clean sheets??? It's the way Liverpool play, they're boring

It's not the way they play, we just have a terrific goalkeeper and centre halves and two wonderful central midfield players.
    I wouldn't swap him for any other keeper in the premiership currently, including Cech.

Liverpool are boring and defensive, you've scored the least goals in the top 5. You're a defensive team under Rafa and thus keep a lot of clean sheets, the midfield protection is a massive part of this

• Advertisement

Liverpool are boring and defensive, you've scored the least goals in the top 5. You're a defensive team under Rafa and thus keep a lot of clean sheets, the midfield protection is a massive part of this

we've scored the least goals in the top 5 because a) we've been playing sh*te for large parts of the season, b) Torres has missed most of the season and c) the rest of our team is really not very clinical at all.

I never understand why Liverpool fans get up in arms when people note (quite correctly) that we pay a lot of attention to being organized well defensively and working very hard when we don't have the ball.

For me, Agger is easily the worst active center back among the top four teams. But he has an excellent center half partner and goalkeeper around him - and he couldn't really ask for better midfielders than Alonso, Masch and Gerrard to be protecting infront of him. And then to top it off, the likes of Kuyt, Keane, Riera and Yossi up top press and harry with more vigor than most players in Europe that play their roles.

Overall, we keep a lot of clean sheets because we are ***** to play against. Really, it is a case of keeping them inspite of Agger rather than because of him.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I never understand why Liverpool fans get up in arms when people note (quite correctly) that we pay a lot of attention to being organized well defensively and working very hard when we don't have the ball.

For me, Agger is easily the worst active center back among the top four teams. But he has an excellent center half partner and goalkeeper around him - and he couldn't really ask for better midfielders than Alonso, Masch and Gerrard to be protecting infront of him. And then to top it off, the likes of Kuyt, Keane, Riera and Yossi up top press and harry with more vigor than most players in Europe that play their roles.

Overall, we keep a lot of clean sheets because we are ***** to play against. Really, it is a case of keeping them inspite of Agger rather than because of him.

there's a difference between being organised, having good shape, working hard, and being boring. That's what i took issue with. When Liverpool play well they are far from boring (though they are hardly Arsenal), we just have rarely clicked at all this season. There is a difference.

Agger is a terrific player. I think Skrtel is ahead of him in the pecking order, but that's just because he's an absolute beast of a defender. Him and Daniel could make a great partnership one day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

If anyone said that Liverpool fans would of course be flattered.

Really, it is a case of keeping them inspite of Agger rather than because of him.

If that were the case we wouldn't keep more clean sheets with him in the team,
    Are you honestly saying that Carra, Reina and the rest get lathargic when skrtel is in the team and play ****? And up there game when Agger is there to make his stats look good?

nosense, Quick, strong, good in the air, good with the ball at his feet, scores goals.

But I agree he is the worst in the top 4 especially when compared with Gallas, Ivanovic and Silvestre.

Well Ivanovic doesn't qualify for the draft but the other two would have been better picks than Agger. You have Sol anyway so you'd be safe but Agger isn't that good and hasn't played that many games to justify the pick in the position he was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to agree, I was shocked by the selection of Agger, I don't think he even merits consideration for selection in this draft.

mayordenis wrote: »
    If anyone said that Liverpool fans would of course be flattered.

That is what they're saying. They just aren't smart enough to realize it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

ditpoker wrote: »
    agbonlahor is great value at this stage. he's a fantastic pick. He'd have gone in round 2 or 3 if he was at one of the big 4 cos they get much more media attention. 30 in 100 games for villa is superb, expecially when you consider that in his first season and a half the majority of the first 40+ games are sub appearances. He's a great talent, villa should be more worried about losing him to a big 4 team than losing barry.

I think a lot of this is tripe tbh Jeff.
    Gaby is no doubt a great prospect and can score a good amount of goals, but no matter who he is playing with he will not be a 20 goal a season striker and he does not get many assists. To say he would go in round two or three is nonsense as he still has so many obvious flaws. If I was an opposition manager I would tell my defence to drop off him, give him time on the ball, yes he is lightning quick but he has perhaps the worst decision making skills of any premiership striker. There are at least five players who Villa would have in front of Gaby in 'we must keep this player' stakes.

Not that he is not a good player, just would never be a world class player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

shoutman wrote: »
    I think a lot of this is tripe tbh Jeff.
    Gaby is no doubt a great prospect and can score a good amount of goals, but no matter who he is playing with he will not be a 20 goal a season striker...

wait you are a Villa fan arent you? cos not that it would apply in the draft but saying no matter who he is playing with he will not be a 20 goal a season striker is odd when that is exactley what he is on course to do this season with Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Sorry lads im running a bit mental this weekend, ill try and get my pick up soon but if not then you may need to skip me.

In fact go ahead and skip me, i think its Bubs, ill get mines up ASAP

wait you are a Villa fan arent you? cos not that it would apply in the draft but saying no matter who he is playing with he will not be a 20 goal a season striker is odd when that is exactley what he is on course to do this season with Villa.

I am a Villa fan, but I still don't think he is a 20 goal a season striker, I'm not like some of the others who frequent the villa thread saying he is brutal etc, but I don't think he will keep up the current goal scoring form, please prove me wrong Gaby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some good picks today. Hedman is a great shout. I hadn't got him on my shortlist which surprises me. Nice to see Pahars picked as well as he was a player I always admired.

Bout time Parker got picked

to be fair i'd be surprised if i've watched villa half as much as shoutman so will take on board what he says. Whenever RTE (the premiership) or BBC (match of the day) feature villa games its usually both ashley young and gabby doing the business, imo. I think Laursen is far and away your best player who will, one way or another, be playing champions league football next season.

I've always been impressed with gabby, the types of goals he scores are very much "strikers" goals which i like alot in a player. He gets goals other wouldnt. And the frequency with which you see "Villa - Agbonlahor" pop up at the bottom of the screen on soccer saturday is increasing. I think he's a cracking pick in terms of value and I'll have €20 says he'll get 20 league goals this season... :p

I'll book that bet Jeff. I'd be delighted to be handing you €20 if Gaby gets twenty goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I pm'ed Melion at 12.30 to let him know that I would be picking this afternoon as he was well over 12 hours. He probably hasn't had a chance to read it yet, but as we are now at 18 hours since the last pick I'm going to throw my pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Obv Im not involved in this but I think Malbranque is a great pick at this stage. Quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah, good pick alright. Had him in my fantasy team while he was playing for Fulham and brought in many points - the definitive way to judge a player (along with Pro Evo / Champ Man!)

/puts line through Malbranque on shortlist

Pick made, not too sure who is up next. I really hope i dont miss out on my left winger.

Good pick Lloyd, it was between him and Babayaro for my left back. I went for Babayaro for the simple reason that i think more people will remember him

Melion wrote: »
    Good pick Lloyd, it was between him and Babayaro for my left back. I went for Babayaro for the simple reason that i think more people will remember him

Yeah, Hinhcliffe was a better defender than Babayaro or the other very obvious remaining player for that position (though they give you more going forward) - and given that I have Kewell in front of him that needs to be the priority.

Yeah, Hinhcliffe was a better defender than Babayaro or the other very obvious remaining player for that position (though they give you more going forward) - and given that I have Kewell in front of him that needs to be the priority.

Who is the other obvious player? PM, im curious.

Well im hoping to get my first choice player for the left side of midfield so i need an attacking left back and IMO Babayaro was the best available

Who is the other obvious player? PM, im curious.

Well im hoping to get my first choice player for the left side of midfield so i need an attacking left back and IMO Babayaro was the best available

Sent.

• Advertisement

Good call with Hinchcliffe. Although he never played in the Prem for us, he's loved by City fans.

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Good call with Hinchcliffe. Although he never played in the Prem for us, he's loved by City fans.

Just for that 1 goal?

Just for that 1 goal?

Nah he's a blue through and through even without that. Came up from our academy and does commentary now for the club as well as our official weekly podcast. Just loves the club.

I know, but Everton!!! Thats all that needs to be said really :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Damn you Lloyd.

Damn you.

I was debating between Lescott and Hinchcliffe before the round started, I was hoping at least one of them would survive. But thankfully nobody else needs a LB before I'm up again, and there are still a couple available. Still, a lot of quality in that position has disappeared in this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Hinchcliffe was a decent player, but again like some other picks he was very injury prone and missed a lot of games.

• Advertisement

i'm gonna pick in the next hour or so, think its been 12hrs +... i'll pm bohsman and shoutman. dont think the player i want will be on either shopping list

Very quiet on this over the last 2 days

Very quiet on this over the last 2 days

Inevitable considering the time of year. Many people will be knocked out of their regular routine as they have more shopping and partying to do, etc. It's going to slow down further between now and the resumption of the regular working week the other side of the New Year. Patience - we are closing in on the finish line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Babayaro is a good pick. I only though of him after picking Winterburn but I think heaving him, and if I can get one of the left wingers I wanted would leave the defence very exposed..

Lee Sharpe is a great pick imo. Was looking at him as a possible solution to my left sided problem. Thought he would have gone earlier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement