Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    Lee Sharpe is a great pick imo. Was looking at him as a possible solution to my left sided problem. Thought he would have gone earlier.

Ditto. That's one of my left wingers gone now.
    My shortlist is starting to look mighty small now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Lee Sharpe is a great pick imo. Was looking at him as a possible solution to my left sided problem. Thought he would have gone earlier.

Yep, he was the third player I mentioned when I picked Malbranque, would still have Malbranque or pick number 2 before him. Still a great pick and had he his head screwed on properly would have achieved a hell of a lot more than he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I still know the Sharpey Shuffle :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Johnny Ronsen lasted way too long, imo.

Excellent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

I still know the Sharpey Shuffle :o

How cool was the Sharpey Shuffle, especially considering that homo erotic love dance thing that Ince and Giggs used to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Am i up now due to the 12 hour rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Yep

pick made, will send pm now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Considering the lack of quality cover on the left wing, Pederson is a good pick for this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

There is no quality left on the right wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Sorry I'm a bit confused as to how Trippie was up when Bohsman only went 90 minutes before him and Ditpoker 14 hours before that....

edit: I wouldn't mind but Pederson was earmarked as my next pick so a ruling would be appreciated (sorry Gordon).

RasTa wrote: »
    There is no quality left on the right wing.

Nobody who I'd consider top drawer who I can think of but there's a few players still there who would do a good job for many teams imo.

shoutman wrote: »
    Sorry I'm a bit confused as to how Trippie was up when Bohsman only went 90 minutes before him and Ditpoker 14 hours before that....

edit: I wouldn't mind but Pederson was earmarked as my next pick so a ruling would be appreciated (sorry Gordon).

Ye no worries Luke, the order is

LuckyLloyd
    bohsman
    ditpoker
    shoutman
    Trippie

so as oscar is away in barca he was late in putting his pick up, which meant that it skipped him and jeff went, since you're after jeff the time at which oscar makes his pick is irrelevant thats why i asked was i up as it was 14 hours as you say since jeff made his pick

Bohsman was late with his go thus ditpoker took his pick. (Bohsman then had the option of taking his pick whenever he got back to a computer) You were then late by more than 12 hours(after poker's pick) and thus your go was skipped. But it would seem Iago's warnings about the 12 hour rule have come to fruition.

Fair enough, god damn it if only I worked 9-5 so i'd be up that early, or if I checked this thread in a drunken stoop before going to bed lol.

Hmm this will be a tricky pick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

pick made pm sent to RasTa,

Ian Rush - read it and weep

What round are we on, I take it i've two picks now?

Yeah, I beleive you have the double pick now.

Done, Lennon........ bah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Sharpe, Pedersen, Johnsen and Upson gone withing a few picks of each other, that hurt my shortlist, alot. I was sure I could pick up Pedersen easy next round...

pick made and pm sent
    outfield ten of

Babbel - Campbell - Agger - Harte
    SWP - Nolan - Barry - Pires
    Klinsmann-Rush

He's a good player on paper but injuries ruined him. Averaged 10 games a season for Liverpool

pick made and pm sent soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jesus, really flew through them today lads, well done.

Luckily enough, none of those players were on my shortlist. I had considered Babbel but i think he will mainly be remembered for that injury that ended his liverpool career, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

People are picking very well recently imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    People are picking very well recently imo.
    Agreed, I had both Walcott and Bentley earmarked for selection.

And I have to be honest and never thought of Celestin Babayaro, I wouldn't have picked him but he never crossed my mind at all. A very good pick at this late stage.

When am I up again, its feels like an age and I want to go before there are only crumbs left.:)

Weir is fantastic value at this stage imo. Incredibly solid performer with plenty of caps to back up his claim to a place in this draft. Walcott and Bentley are decent picks though they do reflect the lack of quality available in total in their respective positions.

While I agree that his sickness was something that will be hard to see past I really think this is not fair and will argue this with anyone, when he played he was consistently excellent, Babbel was a great left back for liverpool and blackburn while he was there to, not many more than 60 league games for both sides, but all out and out quality.

Great pick Shoutman, and I have to admit that with the exception of John Barnes I like the look of your team.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Great pick Shoutman, and I have to admit that with the exception of John Barnes I like the look of your team.

Hes a great pick unless he gets himself sent off. :p

• Advertisement

Do people honestly think Barnes does not deserve a place in this draft? Yes he was picked early and possibly my midfield is too attack minded, but with Barnes playing in a deeper role and having an extremely solid and non too attacking backline it means that my attacking midfield shouldn't be a hinderance to the time as a whole. With Tevez able to drop back into midfield we could crowd the midfield with five men.
    But tactics are still to be thought about. That said my final pick shouldn't make a huge difference to my tactics.

Great to see the teams forming now, some excellent teams imo. I wouldn't rate mine as in the top three however.

Do people honestly think Barnes does not deserve a place in this draft? Yes he was picked early and possibly my midfield is too attack minded, but with Barnes playing in a deeper role and having an extremely solid and non too attacking backline it means that my attacking midfield shouldn't be a hinderance to the time as a whole. With Tevez able to drop back into midfield we could crowd the midfield with five men.
    But tactics are still to be thought about. That said my final pick shouldn't make a huge difference to my tactics.

Great to see the teams forming now, some excellent teams imo. I wouldn't rate mine as in the top three however.
    Barnes lacked fitness and mobility during his time in the premiership. If the draft included the Liverpool team of the eighties I would agree he was a great pick but not on his premiership appearances. I think he is lost against most midfields in this draft. I don't see any way either that he lasts any more than an hour so yes I think he has no place in this draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lehmann was some nutjob, but unbelievable value at this stage. Top pick. I'm starting to think I needn't have drafted a goalkeeper so early, there have been a lot of quality players picked in the later stage of the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Babbel is a fantastic pick. Wonderful at Liverpool. And unlike Owen and his hamstring or Kewell and his groin, i don't think Guillain-Barre can count against him.
    Pedersen is also a good shout, as is Rush and Weir.

Babbel is a fantastic pick. Wonderful at Liverpool. And unlike Owen and his hamstring or Kewell and his groin, i don't think Guillain-Barre can count against him.

I don't see the difference between a disease and an injury. If he missed massive amounts of games, he missed massive amounts of games. Also, although I do like him, the fact Liverpool were willing to loan him out makes me dubious if I'm looking at him through rose tinted glasses.

Also, on Walcott, he only has 54 premiership games, alot of the early ones were bad and alot of them were substitute appearances as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i've picked paul parker, was discussing him as a pick with lloyd earlier and he said he'd been taken... its 5am and i cant find anyone picking him, maybe i've missed it, but i did look. if he has already been taken, obviously i will re-pick. but yea, for now, a two time premiership winner with numerous england caps... paul parker, happy with that! definately!!!

team so far

GK: Tim Flowers
    LB: Ashley Cole
    RB: Paul Parker
    CB: Steve Bruce
    CB: Gary Pallister
    LM: Lee Sharpe
    RM: Aaron Lennon
    CM: David Batty
    CM: Jamie Redknapp
    ST: _________???
    ST: Darren Bent

nice... nice...

Yeah I wasn't overly happy with Walcott, he has only had one great season with Arsenal but there was nothing left on the right. I would have picked Bentley if he came to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

ditpoker wrote: »
    i've picked paul parker, was discussing him as a pick with lloyd earlier and he said he'd been taken... its 5am and i cant find anyone picking him, maybe i've missed it, but i did look. if he has already been taken, obviously i will re-pick. but yea, for now, a two time premiership winner with numerous england caps... paul parker, happy with that! definately!!!

QUOTE]

He was on my shortlist but he really didnt make it in the Premiership, Gary Neville broke through and Parker was hit badly by injury. 100 league appearances between 91 and 96 barely any of them in the last 2 years. Id say hes close to not having 40 premiership appearances.

bohsman wrote: »
    He was on my shortlist but he really didnt make it in the Premiership, Gary Neville broke through and Parker was hit badly by injury. 100 league appearances between 91 and 96 barely any of them in the last 2 years. Id say hes close to not having 40 premiership appearances.

compared to some in the draft he's a veteran! 87 appearances with 81 starts over 5 seasons. Decent pick at this late stage.

Took Djorkaeff, leaving team as follows:

Friedel

Finnan
    Walker
    Desailly
    Hinchcliffe

Vieira

Ginola
    Djorkaeff
    Kewell

Sutton
    ????

Interestingly, none of the above will be team captain. Taking him with my next pick (he'll definitely be there for me barring some major miracle). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Taking him with my next pick (he'll definitely be there for me barring some major miracle). :)

I think we´re both nuts picking Fulham strikers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Last few picks have been good.I had Parker on my shortlist for right backs,he was the guy I'd pick after Steve Clarke.Djorkaeff is a good pick too, intelligent footballer and always tried his best when he went on to the pitch.Something needed in a side with Ginola and Kewell.

I dont think the Walcott pick was good though.Only a few good games for Arsenal,he's certainly a promising player but hasnt done enough to make him worth picking.Although there is a shortage of players on the wings,I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head who are worth picking ahead of Walcott

titan18 wrote: »

I dont think the Walcott pick was good though.Only a few good games for Arsenal,he's certainly a promising player but hasnt done enough to make him worth picking.Although there is a shortage of players on the wings,I can think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head who are worth picking ahead of Walcott

Is why he is in to be honest, mind drew a blank for the right wing so I stuck him in since he has had 3 seasons with Arsenal. Broke into the 1st squad last season with some preformances. Same as Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is why he is in to be honest, mind drew a blank for the right wing so I stuck him in since he has had 3 seasons with Arsenal. Broke into the 1st squad last season with some preformances. Same as Torres.

Ya,i know he's incredibly talented but in terms of impact in the Premiership, there are a few wingers who I'd have picked ahead of him due to his lack of games.Nothing to take away from Walcott, and i suppose he's still a good pick as he has the talent to do anything.

At this stage aswell,it's hard to argue against any pick cos there's question marks over any player who'll be picked at this stage, in terms of injuries and playing time etc.Any player that I have in mind for a place in my midfield has question marks over him and I can see why they are poor picks but they will do what is needed for my side.

He's not really the same as Torres though. Walcott wasn't fantastic from start to finish last season and if my memory serves me correct he was still moaning about being a substitute until febuary meaning he hadn't even earned his first team place

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I don't see the difference between a disease and an injury. If he missed massive amounts of games, he missed massive amounts of games. Also, although I do like him, the fact Liverpool were willing to loan him out makes me dubious if I'm looking at him through rose tinted glasses.

Also, on Walcott, he only has 54 premiership games, alot of the early ones were bad and alot of them were substitute appearances as well

because injuries like hamstrings tears, ligament damage etc tend to recur. As far as i know, his condition isn't one that recurs.

I don't like the Walcott pick either. I also have never rated Bentley, but there is a lack of quality wingers available i suppose.

Took Djorkaeff, leaving team as follows:

Friedel

Finnan
    Walker
    Desailly
    Hinchcliffe

Vieira

Ginola
    Djorkaeff
    Kewell

Sutton
    ????

Interestingly, none of the above will be team captain. Taking him with my next pick (he'll definitely be there for me barring some major miracle). :)

nice team, but a little light in midfield perhaps. As good as Viera is.

bohsman wrote: »
    I think we´re both nuts picking Fulham strikers.

Ah hah - you've got a good read on me! :pac:

Maybe, maybe not. I think the guy I'm going to take would thrive with good and consistent delivery from my wide men, and he was the focal point for that Fulham team as he was such a good all - round competitor. I'm sure to get some stick for it, but I'll argue my case!

Well, I think my back four + Vieira compensates for the fact that I have three lightweight players in midfield. Finnan and Hinchcliffe will be extremely solid behind Kewell and Ginola; and Djorkaeff has one of the greatest ball winners the premiership has ever seen to lend a dig out. My two strikers are going to be incredibly hard working also.

So yes, there is a potential defensive weak point - but I do believe I have enough balance in the side.

pick made and PM sent. Given the picks available to me in this draft I'm really happy with how my team is shaping up.

• Advertisement

The bigger problem with his team is the amount of injuries racked up by those players. You'd be sweating on them seeing out 90 minutes in every game.

Advertisement