Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I like the Steve Watson pick.I think he was a very good player and better than David Weir who was picked ahead of him.I am surprised he got picked though as I thought people might have forgot about him.

However,I think that having Beckham and him on one side is not good.Beckham, although a terrific crosser of the ball,he never had strong the ability to beat players.He had the room to cross due to the passing of Scholes who was able to get him into space and Gary Neville running down the side.With Watson,he will not be able to get up and support Beckham, and if Becham is neutralised, your whole team is effectively neutralised as your forwards seem to be built around his ability to cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

titan18 wrote: »

However,I think that having Beckham and him on one side is not good.Beckham, although a terrific crosser of the ball,he never had strong the ability to beat players.He had the room to cross due to the passing of Scholes who was able to get him into space and Gary Neville running down the side.With Watson,he will not be able to get up and support Beckham, and if Becham is neutralised, your whole team is effectively neutralised as your forwards seem to be built around his ability to cross

The thing about Beckham is that he really doesn't need that much space to cross the ball. In fact if you watch highlight reels of him over the years and compare them to some of the problems United had after he left you'll see very quickly that Beckhams ability to deliver a ball from anywhere on a pitch is what makes him stand out. When he left United the players available didn't have that confidence or ability and as a result the whole team had to adapt. Where Beckham could get a ball 40 yards out on the right touchline and pretty much put it in a 2 yard square part of the oppositions box, the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo et al just couldn't deliver it.

They held onto the ball longer, tried to get closer to the byline and tended to run into 2-3 defenders or give the opposition time to get back in numbers. Butt and Boateng will break up the play and give the ball to Beckham, whether he's 25 yards out or 50 yards out he'll be able to pick a ball for Heskey to flick on/hold up, or a ball over the top for Cole to exploit the space behind a defence.

Watson will give Beckham the freedom to concentrate on the attacking part of his game, knowing that the right hand side is being well marshalled. imho :)

Iago wrote: »
    The thing about Beckham is that he really doesn't need that much space to cross the ball. In fact if you watch highlight reels of him over the years and compare them to some of the problems United had after he left you'll see very quickly that Beckhams ability to deliver a ball from anywhere on a pitch is what makes him stand out. When he left United the players available didn't have that confidence or ability and as a result the whole team had to adapt. Where Beckham could get a ball 40 yards out on the right touchline and pretty much put it in a 2 yard square part of the oppositions box, the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo et al just couldn't deliver it.

They held onto the ball longer, tried to get closer to the byline and tended to run into 2-3 defenders or give the opposition time to get back in numbers. Butt and Boateng will break up the play and give the ball to Beckham, whether he's 25 yards out or 50 yards out he'll be able to pick a ball for Heskey to flick on/hold up, or a ball over the top for Cole to exploit the space behind a defence.

Watson will give Beckham the freedom to concentrate on the attacking part of his game, knowing that the right hand side is being well marshalled. imho :)

I felt that Beckham was at his most effective when someone put the ball in behind the defenders, for him to run on to it and whip the ball into box where Van Nistelrooy,Sheringham,Yorke,Cole etc were there to put the ball into the net.Just looking at your team,I feel that if Beckham was neutralised, you're relying on Malbranque to win you the game.With Heskey, you might get be able to have Beckham pass the ball in from 40 yards and hope Heskey gets the flick on to Cole,or Malbranque might be up there, if he's bothered.

Otherwise you're probably going to get a 0-0 draw, as it is going to be very hard for someone to score on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Titan makes a good point I think. An other way of looking at it is that Beckham will arguably be the best player picked in his position defensively - so you could have looked to take the most attacking fullback available.

However, in terms of individual value relative to best player available at this point - Watson is a super pick imo. If he had escaped the net of this draft he was going to be near the top of my "best players forgotten about list".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Titan makes a good point I think. An other way of looking at it is that Beckham will arguably be the best player picked in his position defensively - so you could have looked to take the most attacking fullback available.

However, in terms of individual value relative to best player available at this point - Watson is a super pick imo. If he had escaped the net of this draft he was going to be near the top of my "best players forgotten about list".

As you point out above, I don't think there are any better right backs left to be picked, and a number of those already picked would be lesser players than Watson imo. I see the point Titan and yourself are making, but as a rebuttal I still say that of all the players in the draft Beckham requires the least amount of space to deliver a ball, and is probably best positioned to deliver that ball from anywhere on the pitch. I'd also disagree that if Beckham is neutralised then so is my team, although he is definitely a key player given my line-up.

To emphasise my first point above here's a youtube collection of some of Beckhams finest assists, you'll note that the majority of them are 25yards+ out from goal, as well as delivered from in front of the back line (and sometimes midfield) rather than behind them. There are a number that rely on playing a one two to get past a player, but almost uniformly they are played with either a striker or centre midfield player (in a number of cases it's Butt or Cole ;)) and Gary Neville is conspicious by his absence in almost all cases!!

edit: youtube linking borked? nope just linked wrong...

• Advertisement

By the way, there are two players still out there that I am shocked haven't been picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

By the way, there are two players still out there that I am shocked haven't been picked.

Who?! If they are RB, I think everyone has one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

There's one off the top of my head I'm surprised hasn't been picked. I've had that position filled for quite a while, and I keep expecting him to go.

I'm looking forward to this forgotten player thread :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Pick made and PM sent to bubs. ****in delighted to have got my pick

Well, lol - Melion just took one of the two players I mentioned! :pac:

Which leaves one head scratcher. I can only assume people are overlooking him because he has exactly 40 premiership appearances.

• Advertisement

Ah I was thinking of Garcia but always thought he was rubbish, same as the current Pool right winger.

I can think of a few players who havent been picked who should have.2 people in my head who would be close to the 40 premiership games,maybe under it or just over it so not sure.But I think it's the person Lloyd is talking about.

PS Update the spreadsheet please.It's hard to see what players have gone.

PS Update the spreadsheet please.It's hard to see what players have gone.

well get on that when I get a chance to do a full sweep of it

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I know 2 strikers that I cannot believe are still available - both much better than Dion "early round" Dublin :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Thats a classy looking team Bubs. Boksic is a quality pick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

From what I've seen, its eitehr Bubs or LuckyLloyds team thats best, with Xavi and Mr Nice Guys not far behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If you take injury prone players then your team can look good but the injuries have to count against you.

Alen Boksic was not that great in the premiership, he had one good season and was terribly injury prone for the rest of his time in the PL. Again I'd consider that a bad pick based on all his premier league history.

Thats simlar to Lloyd who picked Harry Kewell who had terrible injury problems throughout his career and also got dropped by Liverpool for a large period of time. He also picked another terribly injury prone player in Andy Hinchcliffe.

Frisbee - (GK)Peter Schmeichel (RB)Lee Dixon (LB)Nigel Winterburn (DC)Lucas Neill (DC) (MR)Jimmy Bullard (ML) (MC)Ray Parlour (MC)Lee Carsley (FW)Dion Dublin (FW)Nicolas Anelka

Wreck - (GK)Kasey Keller (RB) (LB)Gael Clichy (DC)Colin Hendry (DC)Lucas Radebe (MR)Freddie Ljungberg (ML) (MC)Roy Keane (MC)David Platt (FW)Ole Gunnar Solskjær (FW)Nwanko Kanu

whatawaster - (GK) (RB)Rob Jones (LB)John Beresford. (DC)Stephane Henchoz (DC) (MR)Steve McManaman (ML)Damien Duff (MC)Dietmar Hamman (MC)Thomas Gravesen (FW)Thierry Henry (FW)Robbie Keane

eagle eye - (GK)Neville Southall (RB)Roland Nilsson (LB)Alan Wright (DC)Nemanja Vidic (DC)Martin Laursen (MR) (ML) (MC)Claude Makelele (MC)Andy Townsend (FW)Alan Shearer (FW)Peter Beardsley

Mr.Nice Guy - (GK)Edwin Van Der Sar (RB)Wes Brown (LB)Gabriel Heinze (DC)Rio Ferdinand (DC) (MR) (ML)Arjen Robben (MC)Emmanuel Petit (MC)Michael Carrick (FW)Dennis Bergkamp (FW)Jermain Defoe

wardie - (GK)Nigel Martyn (RB) (LB)Silviniho (DC)Martin Keown (DC) (MR)Paul Merson (ML)Nolberto Solano (MC)Tim Sherwood (MC)Paul Ince (FW)Eric Cantona (FW)Gabriel Agbonlahor

gonzovision - (GK)Carlo Cuidicini (RB)Tony Hibbert (LB) (DC)William Gallas (DC)Micah Richards (MR) (ML)Stewart Downing (MC)Marian Parhars (MC)Dwight Yorke (FW)Gianfranco Zola (FW)Kevin Campbell

Xavi6 - (GK)David Seaman (RB)Warren Barton (LB) (DC)Ricardo Carvalho (DC)Gareth Southgate (MR)Trevor Sinclair (ML) (MC)Olivier Dacourt (MC)Eyal Berkovic (FW)Les Ferdinand (FW)Stan Collymore

Tauren/mitch - (GK) (RB)Joleen Lescott (LB) (DC)Kolo Toure (DC)Sylvan Distin (MR)Andrei Kanchelskis (ML)Mikel Arteta (MC)Frank Lampard (MC)Xabi Alonso (FW)R.V. Nistelrooy (FW)Obafemi Martins

titan18 - (GK)Jussi Jaaskelainen (RB)Steve Clarke (LB)Dennis Irwin (DC)Steve Bould (DC)igor stimac (MR) (ML) (MC)Paul Scholes (FW)Mark Viduka (FW)Paolo Di Canio (FW)Eidur Gudjohnson

janets on clubs - (GK)Mark Bosnich (RB) (LB)Steven Staunton (DC)Olaf Mellberg (DC) (MR)Benito Carbone (ML)Robin Van Persie (MC)Gary Speed (MC)Danny Murphy (FW)Robbie Fowler (FW)Fernando Torres

NekkidBibleMan - (GK)Neil Sullivan (RB) (LB) (DC)Frank LeBoeuf (DC)John Scales (MR)Juninho (ML)Tomas Rosicky (MC)Gary McAllister (MC)Javier Mascherano (FW)Matt le Tissier (FW)Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

Necronomicon - (GK)David James (RB)Ugo Ehiogu (LB) (DC)Jaap Stam (DC)Henning Berg (MR)Sylvain Wiltord (ML)Ryan Giggs (MC)Scott Parker (MC) (FW)Gus Poyet (FW)Dimitar Berbatov

Eirebear - (GK)Antti Niemi (RB)Dan Petrescu (LB)Michael Ball (DC)Tony Adams (DC)Davie Weir (MR) (ML)Chris Waddle (MC)Robbie Savage (MC)Tim Cahill (FW)Ian Wright (FW)Peter Crouch

Bubs101 - (GK)Magnus Hedman (RB)Gary Neville (LB)Wayne Bridge (DC)Ledley King (DC)Richard Dunne (MR)Cristiano Ronaldo (ML)Joe Cole (MC)Jay Jay Okocha (MC)Dennis Wise (FW)Alen Boksic (FW)

Melion - (GK)Shay Given (RB) (LB)Celestine Babayaro(DC)Sami Hyppia (DC)Mark Wright (MR)Darren Anderton (ML)Luis Garcia (MC)Rob Lee (MC)Tugay (FW)Teddy Sheringham (FW)Yakubu

Iago - (GK)Pepe Reina (RB)Steve Watson (LB) (DC)Jamie Carragher (DC)David Unsworth (MR)David Beckham (ML)Steed Malbranque (MC)Nicky Butt (MC)George Boateng (FW)Andy Cole (FW)Emile Heskey

LuckyLloyd - (GK)Brad Friedal (RB)Steve Finnan (LB)Andy Hinchcliffe (DC)Marcel Desailly (DC) (MR)David Ginola (ML)Harry Kewell (MC)Patrick Vieira (MC)Des Walker (FW)Chris Sutton (FW)Youri Djorkaeff

bohsman - (GK)Jerzy Dudek (RB) (LB)Stuart Pearce (DC)John Terry (DC)Ronny Johnsen (MR)Gilberto Silva (ML)Lee Bowyer (MC)Roberto Di Matteo (FW)Tony Yeboah (FW)Mark Hughes (FW)Louis Saha

ditpoker - (GK)Tim Flowers (RB)Paul Parker (LB)Ashley Cole (DC)Gary Pallister (DC)Steve Bruce (MR)Aaron Lennon (ML)Lee Sharpe (MC)David Batty (MC)Jamie Rednapp (FW)Darren Bent (FW)

shoutman - (GK)Jens Lehmann (RB)Lauren (LB)Graham Le Saux (DC)Paul McGrath (DC) (MR)Bryan Roy (ML)Ashley Young (MC)Steven Gerrard (MC)John Barnes (FW)Didier Drogba (FW)Carlos Tevez

Trippie - (GK)Petr Cech (RB)Gary Kelly (LB)John Arne Riise (DC)Herman Hreidarsson(DC) (MR)David Bentley (ML)Morten Gamst Pederson (MC)Cesc Fabregas (MC)Matheu Flamini (FW)Wayne Rooney (FW)Kevin Phillips

mayordenis - (GK) (RB)Markus Babbel (LB)Ian Harte (DC)Sol Campbell (DC)Daniel Agger (MR)Shaun Wright Phillips (ML)Robert Pires (MC)Gareth Barry (MC)Kevin Nolan (FW)Jurgen Klinnsman (FW)Ian rush

RasTa - (GK)Chris Kirkland (RB) (LB)Patrice Evra (DC)Jonathan Woodgate (DC)Matthew Upson (MR)Theo Walcott (ML)Marc Overmars (MC)Michael Essien (MC)Michael Ballack (FW)Michael Owen (FW)Emmanuel Adeybayor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mayordenis wrote: »
    I know 2 strikers that I cannot believe are still available - both much better than Dion "early round" Dublin :pac:

I canmt think of a better playert to play alongside Anelka. Dublins not there to score goaals(though he canb easily do that) he's there to provide for Le Sulk

Frisbee wrote: »
    I canmt think of a better playert to play alongside Anelka. Dublins not there to score goaals(though he canb easily do that) he's there to provide for Le Sulk

Ah I was only having a bit of a Joke, You know a joke? Like Dion Dublin. :pac:

• Advertisement

Ah I was only having a bit of a Joke, You know a joke? Like Dion Dublin. :pac:

Touché good sir.
    Tbh though Dion is a gent and one of my fav all time premiership players

Christmas Rules
    Ok folks, with Christmas approaching I think we have to amend the clock rules to take into account the fact that people will (well I hope they will) be away from their laptop for longer stretches than usual.

As such,

- we will continue with the 12 hour clock until 0.00 GMT on Dec 24;
    - from 0.00 GMT on Dec 24 to 12.00 GMT Dec 26 the clock will be suspended;
    - in effect this means that whoever is next in line cannot be skipped during that period. If they make a pick then great, and the next in line will then have the option. But if they can't, they won't be skipped;
    - the 12 hour clock will be reinstated at 12.00 GMT Dec 26 to 12.00 GMT Dec 31;
    - It will again be suspended from 12.00 GMT Dec 31 to 12.00 GMT January 02;
    - at which point normal service will resume;

Just to remind people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

didn't realise there was a christmas clock... oh well. no harm done.

Anyway, pick made and PM sent - clock is ticking again so Xavi6 has 12 hours to make his pick - mentioned this in the PM.

didn't realise there was a christmas clock... oh well. no harm done.

Anyway, pick made and PM sent - clock is ticking again so Xavi6 has 12 hours to make his pick - mentioned this in the PM.

Well there was no clock Christmas Eve and Christmas day. But given that there is a full schedule of football on today I figure many people involved in this thread are likely to log on for a few minutes at some point. Though maybe not. Put it this way, if Xavi doesn't log on in the next 12 hours lets think about it before we skip him.

Cheers folks, and a Happy Christmas to ye all!! :)

Well there was no clock Christmas Eve and Christmas day. But given that there is a full schedule of football on today I figure many people involved in this thread are likely to log on for a few minutes at some point. Though maybe not. Put it this way, if Xavi doesn't log on in the next 12 hours lets think about it before we skip him.

Cheers folks, and a Happy Christmas to ye all!! :)
    I'd be shocked if he missed 12 minutes.:)

And Happy Christimas to everyone as well.

I had Ziege in mind, but I just about opted against him because of his injuries. Lethal left foot though, and hard to argue against at this stage of the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I don't think he ever really hit top form in the Premiership. I've to pick a left-back next, but I have two or three in mind who I regard as better than Ziege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't think he ever really hit top form in the Premiership. I've to pick a left-back next, but I have two or three in mind who I regard as better than Ziege.

There was only one other really serious contender for the position but they didn't offer the same ability from a dead ball.

Given the other 9 players in my team I think he compliments them superbly.

Downing went a long time ago.How could you think he was left tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Downing went a long time ago.How could you think he was left tbh

Feck it anyway. I thought my records were up to date. :mad:

Now for Plan B...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Zenden's a decent pick but there's still one left mid who should be well gone.

Edit: Wilcox wasn't the one I had in mind but a good pick nonetheless

Funnily enough I'd forgotten all about Wilcox, but I've had another Blackburn player from the same era in mind that I'm surprised is still available. Good shout.

Funnily enough I'd forgotten all about Wilcox, but I've had another Blackburn player from the same era in mind that I'm surprised is still available. Good shout.
    Basically three players have held the position down during our time in the Premiership, but I know who you are thinking about. ;)

Zenden was going to be the final piece of my puzzle. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Argh I can't believe Wilcox is gone, had him in mind since my last pick. My own fault, should have logged in at some stage over the last few days to check on the progression, apologies for the delay. Back in work today, so once I get through a few bits and pieces I'll post up my pick and the write-ups I've yet to do.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Zenden's a decent pick but there's still one left mid who should be well gone.

Fell free to pm me! :D

Edit: Have made a (possibly rash) quick pick as I don't want to miss out again. Write ups to follow. Really liking my team now, just one final piece of the puzzle missing.

• Advertisement

Pick made and PM sent

Ah FFS now Barmby's gone :mad:

How many people have being skipped? I'll wait a couple of hours before picking my final one.

RasTa wrote: »
    How many people have being skipped? I'll wait a couple of hours before picking my final one.

No-one's been skipped in around 10 picks or so, so your good to go whenever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Frisbee wrote: »
    No-one's been skipped in around 10 picks or so, so your good to go whenever

Is it not you up again? I was certain you were.

From what I can remember, it went, Titan - Me - Xavi - Titan - Me - Xavi, so it should double back again now, shouldn't it? Otherwise it is going from Frisbee to RasTa Twice in a row, which is wrong, right?

• Advertisement

Is it not you up again? I was certain you were.

From what I can remember, it went, Titan - Me - Xavi - Titan - Me - Xavi, so it should double back again now, shouldn't it? Otherwise it is going from Frisbee to RasTa Twice in a row, which is wrong, right?

Nah, it goes

AABABBABAA

This is round ten, and I'm last in Round 11.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pk8foo3LvvC0HCBY1Vf1OKw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Am i up now then?

Mayor is

Mayor is

has it not been over 24 hours since frisbee made his pick which meant that both you's were skipped and as such im up, just im going away soon and wont be online for a few days so would like to get it done now

Trippie wrote: »
    has it not been over 24 hours since frisbee made his pick which meant that both you's were skipped and as such im up, just im going away soon and wont be online for a few days so would like to get it done now

Well Rasta has gone now so just mayordenis that has to go

Trippie wrote: »

Technically you are right.

Technically you are right.

the best kind of right some might say

pick made and pm sent

how dare you trippie?
    my god!

nah I don't care my own pick was made and I reckon Shaka Hislop on goal is a good call.

I think we should continue this on with each team needing 7 subs :pac:

I think we should continue this on with each team needing 7 subs :pac:

And a manager

• Advertisement
Advertisement