Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think we should continue this on with each team needing 7 subs :pac:
    I <3 GuanYin wrote: »
    And a manager

With full backroom staff

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Bull**** I'm the manager of my own team, my club don't believe in this whole "director of football" ****e - I pick the team, I'm the gaffer.

Bull**** I'm the manager of my own team, my club don't believe in this whole "director of football" ****e - I pick the team, I'm the gaffer.

We're gonna have to let you go. We're bringing in Avram Grant to replace you.
    No hard feelings? kthxbye :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Frisbee wrote: »
    We're gonna have to let you go. We're bringing in Avram Grant to replace you.
    No hard feelings? kthxbye :pac:

Me and Mourinho have many similarities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think we should continue this on with each team needing 7 subs :pac:
    lol, but you can't do that now in case anyone is thinking that way. It makes a huge difference as there are players who are very injury prone who were picked by some and avoided by others (me for one) and having subs at this late stage would negate the advantage of picking players who are not injury prone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Sagna hasnt played 40 league games. I was going to pick him for my right back slot but he's only played 37 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Melion wrote: »
    Sagna hasnt played 40 league games. I was going to pick him for my right back slot but he's only played 37 games.

45 according to Wiki, lemme double check.

Yeah he is fine, 17 this season and 29 last season.

51 games in all comps

37 in the league, 29 last year and 8 this year(according to Wiki)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

51 games in all comps

37 in the league, 29 last year and 8 this year(according to Wiki)

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=38880&cc=5739 17 according to this.

• Advertisement

Sagna has made 47 PL Appearances for Arsenal

http://www.arsenal.com/first-team/players/bacary-sagna

My apologies, just seen it on the fantasy premierleague site. Damn Wiki wasnt updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

not to stir the sh1t, but had he made 40 appearances at the start of the draft?? if he was unavailable for the first person to pick, is it fair that the last person can pick him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

ditpoker wrote: »
    not to stir the sh1t, but had he made 40 appearances at the start of the draft?? if he was unavailable for the first person to pick, is it fair that the last person can pick him?

Thats how Torres was picked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

bohsman wrote: »
    Thats how Torres was picked.
    Yep Torres was picked on the day of his 40th PL appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Was waiting for someone pick Sagna. I know you're supposed to take into account how many games a player has played in the EPL but people are naturally gonna consider the likes of Torres a quality player, so i see Sagna as an equally good pick. His performance the other night against Villa was superb and exemplifies his ability as a brilliant right back and the only real dependable person in Arsenal's backline this year. Also slotted in at right back in last years team of the season which is no mean feat considering it was his first season in england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Sagna looked ridiculously good against Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wasn't Leboeuf picked already? It's getting tricky to keep up with who has what at this late stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah Lebouef is a double up.

Darn will pick again so, had a good look through the spreadsheet and couldn't find him put in but names, ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

1 Terry
    2 Pearce
    3 Sparky Hughes
    4 Di Matteo
    5 Saha
    6 Yeboah
    7 Gilberto Silva
    8 Dudek
    9 Ronny Johnsen
    10 Lee Bowyer
    11 Luke Young

In order of how I picked them, far happier with my picks in the 2nd half of the draft, think it was a bit of a case of having too much choice at the start and picking the first decent name that came into my head while towards the end there was a lot more thought required to fill individual positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Who's up next? Have we another one of these freezes going on now?

Just wondering, its so near the finish just want to get it over with.:)

Yeah I think so.
    Hopefully things will pick up when everyone gets back to work on Monday.

Just incase the Xmas clock has fecked anyone up Lloyd, Iago and Melion can all go now.

Also Lloyd when we all have 11 players are we to sum up our strategy in the pick thread?
    Or will we have another thread where we all get to make one post detailing our strategy etc?

Is it definitely ok for me to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Hislop is a great pick.

Thats my 11 sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Don't think I've ever seen the word " Classy" used as much in one thread in my life lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

You can never over emphasize the word class to cover up the cracks enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hiya lads and happy new year. Was away since last Tuesday so wasn't online much. Will have a proper look through the thread later and tidy up the spreadsheet etc, and try to complete any outstanding writeups I have.

We're close to the end of the draft too so I'll start sorting out the end game process aswell.

Leonhardson is a good pick, always remember him as being solid,

• Advertisement

Ok, spreadsheet fully looked through and updated:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pk8foo3LvvC0HCBY1Vf1OKw

If anyone sees any remaining errors please give us a shout and I'll correct it. I've taken Brian McBride and sent a PM to the next three in line.

I'm going to restart the clock and give Eirebear until 6pm January 06 to make his next pick. At which point Necronomicon will be up with the normal 12 hour period restored. As usual, remember to PM when you have made your selection.

Write up on McBride to come in the other thread - I'll finish it after the FA Cup tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Ok, spreadsheet fully looked through and updated:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pk8foo3LvvC0HCBY1Vf1OKw

If anyone sees any remaining errors please give us a shout and I'll correct it. I've taken Brian McBride and sent a PM to the next three in line.

I'm going to restart the clock and give Eirebear until 6pm January 06 to make his next pick. At which point Necronomicon will be up with the normal 12 hour period restored. As usual, remember to PM when you have made your selection.

Write up on McBride to come in the other thread - I'll finish it after the FA Cup tie.

Thanks for all the effort lloyd, ill get you a beer in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Sorry lads, i completely forgot about this over the last week or so...will get onto it now.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Sorry lads, i completely forgot about this over the last week or so...will get onto it now.

Not to worry mate, we all did to some extent. That being said, the progress made over the last couple of weeks is surprising.

Robert is a good pick at this stage I think. You are getting laziness, inconsistency and a poor temperament - but on his day a truly whopping player. Some of the goals he scored during his time at Newcastle were simply stunning.

Looking forward to the draft section finishing soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Robert is a good pick at this stage I think. You are getting laziness, inconsistency and a poor temperament - but on his day a truly whopping player. Some of the goals he scored during his time at Newcastle were truly stunning.

Yeah i think you sum it up perfectly, on a good day he was one of the best, on an off day he was pretty damn awful.

I was surprised though that he didnt go earlier simply due to the "one off game" element of this whole thing.

Im fairly happy with my team as a whole though, its got a good balance of flair, graft and attitude and while definetly no the best team there, would certainly be a hard team to beat.

Looking forward to the draft section finishing soon

I need to run a couple of things by the mods, and hope to announce the end process soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

When you hinted you were taking a Fulham player I knew McBride would be your final pick. Always seemed like a smashing person, a real grafter. Robert is good at this stage as well, not a lot of quality remaining on the left side - although I agree with Lloyd's reservations about him.

I'm still wrestling between two players, I'll have my pick made shortly. Christmas interrupted the flow of the discussion a bit, there have been plenty of picks without much activity in this thread. I'm looking forward to the next phase.

• Advertisement

When you hinted you were taking a Fulham player I knew McBride would be your final pick.

Aye, same. I wonder what gave it away..... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And another winger goes off my dwindling shortlist. Robert was a serious contender for my final pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Wiki says that he only got 17, not 32 goals in the Premiership. He's a quality player who was never to dependent on his physichal prowess. Scored one of the sickest angles ever in a Champion's League final. Was kind of hoping that someone would team him and Vialli up

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Wiki says that he only got 17, not 32 goals in the Premiership. He's a quality player who was never to dependent on his physichal prowess. Scored one of the sickest angles ever in a Champion's League final. Was kind of hoping that someone would team him and Vialli up

Sorry should've been more clear, it was 32 goals including FA & League Cup.

http://www.4thegame.com/wanadoo/news/story/68963/BORO+COOL+ON+RAVANELLI+RETURN+TALK.html

Hmm bit of a grey area I guess, though with them being domestic cups they're relavent IMO.

Even if you take his Prem goals only, it was 17 in 34 appearances, a goal every other game.

I think it was interesting of Bohsman to post the order in which he picked, because it gives you an idea of which players could possibly have been left until later, and it highlights gems you might have uncovered near the end. With that in mind:

1: Ryan Giggs
    2: Jaap Stam
    3: David James
    4: Gus Poyet
    5: Dimitar Berbatov
    6: Henning Berg
    7: Sylvain Wiltord
    8: Ugo Ehiogu
    9: Scott Parker
    10: Julian Dicks
    11: Fabrizio Ravanelli

My biggest regret is probably drafting in a goalkeeper so early. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with James, but in my mind at the time there weren't many others available. That turned out to be completely wrong, with some terrific keepers picked in later rounds (Hislop as a last-round pick was great value). At Round 3 I could've picked up a top quality striker, instead of leaving it until the last round. I think I did a bit better in the latter stages when you get the hang of timing your picks right; I think I did well to get Wiltord and Ehiogu in so late.

My final XI:

James

Berg
    Stam
    Ehiogu
    Dicks----

Wiltord
    Parker
    Poyet
    Giggs----

Berbatov
    Ravanelli

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Even if you take his Prem goals only, it was 17 in 34 appearances, a goal every other game.

Eh? doesnt that mean he cant be picked?

• Advertisement

Trippie wrote: »
    Eh? doesnt that mean he cant be picked?

34 appearances for Boro.
    He came back to the Premiership a few years later with Derby

Thats a good idea, and when i look at my team its very depressing.

1. Shay Given
    2. Teddy Sheringham
    3. Sami Hyypia
    4. Yakubu
    5. Rob Lee
    6. Darren Anderton
    7. Tugay
    8. Mark Wright
    9. Celestine Babayaro
    10. Luis Garcia
    11. Glen Johnson

I really regret picking Given so early. I thought a lot of people would go for a keeper first. There was a lot of value to be had in leaving it a bit later to pick one. I think my last 4-5 picks were great value for that stage of the draft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My final team:

Sullivan
    Carr-LeBouef-Scales-Bjornebye
    McAllister-Mascherano
    ---Le Tissier-Juninho-Rosicky
    Hasselbaink

I'm happy with my team. I had a fairly clear view of the type of players I wanted from the outset, and this helped in my choices. In other systems, the likes of Le Tissier and Mascherano could easily become liabilities, but I think they fit very wll in my team. Left-sided midfield players to suit my system were few and far between, but I think I did the best I could. And despite leaving my defensive picks until later rounds, I think I put together quite a decent, football-playing defense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

- - Bosnich - -

Melchiot - Nelsen - Mellberg - Staunton

- - - Murphy - Speed - - -

Carbone - - - - - - - - - - - Van Persie

- - - Torres - - - Fowler

Finished team. Very happy with the front six and keeper but am concerned I might have neglected my defence till a little late. Happy with them as a solid unit but definitely feel like I could have been a little smarter with my picks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

will hold off for a bit on my pick. I don't think Titan18 needs a keeper so its makes no difference to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement