Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Damn it Damn it Damn it Damn it!!!!!

Le Tissier was definately someone I was hoping would sneak by until my pick. Undoubtedly a top class player, underrated in his prime and had he moved to a better club could of been seen as an all time great.

His goal scoring ability from midfield was truely remarkable. Nice pick.

All the goalscorers are going to be gone.....

There's two strikers left who I was considering as my first pick....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Still 3 of my potential first choice picks available - ones a striker, hurry up people, Im away from my PC from tomorrow morning till Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm surprised it took so long for Ronaldo to be snapped up.

He is also the only player picked so far who is still in the Premiership playing at his peak. Does that say something about the standard of the Premiership now compared to 5 or 10 years ago? Or about how we're reluctant to recognise players until the dust has settled on their careers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Or about how we're reluctant to recognise players until the dust has settled on their careers?

I think thats it exactly, yes Ronaldo has been outstanding for the last 2 years, but due to club loyalties/bias etc people dont tend to look on people as "legendary" untill they are close to, or have already retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

. Does that say something about the standard of the Premiership now compared to 5 or 10 years ago? Or about how we're reluctant to recognise players until the dust has settled on their careers?

I think if anything the Premiership is the strongest it has ever been. If you look at the CL semi finals it'd certainly seem to be the case. I think it has something to do with alot of people remembering older players very very fondly whereas most people (rightly)hate Ronaldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

what's going to be the outcome of this?

A vote on the best team?

Won't all the participants just vote for their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

will there be the possibility to trade players between teams at the end?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I wake up and find fowler, wright and le tiss all gone - that's wreaked havok on my plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Des wrote: »

A vote on the best team?

Pro Evo tourney with all the teams edited??

• Advertisement

Pro Evo tourney with all the teams edited??

Make it Fifa and yer on! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Des wrote: »

A vote on the best team?

Have a draw and pit teams against each other with a public poll to decide which one is better. Though I'm open to suggestions.

Now, I'm going to disagree with everyone and say that the Le Tessier and Wright picks are really bad value this early. For reasons specific to each player, they are a really bad place to start building a team.

- Le Tessier's laziness, poor athletic preperation and chronic lack of ambition is a really bad tone to set for a team imo. He has had flashes of brilliance, sure. But he is little more than a highlight reel player. For most of any given season he will give you NOTHING;
    - As for Wright, exceptional goal poaching instincts and sure to score goals for you. But a poor player outside the box and not a guy who can lead people and make them better. It's a bad starting point, because without a really good supporting cast to make him chances he is a waste of time;

This will be true of a few players that are going to go early. The Shearer pick is good because he is more lethal than the likes of Fowler and Wright; he leads an attacking line much better with his greater physicality; and he is a guy you can give an armband to. Ronaldo has character flaws, but he is so good that it doesn't really matter - he is a weapon that is going to hurt the other team no matter who is alongside him.

I'm sure people will disagree with this of course, but I think a couple of the picks represent bad value at this stage.

Trippie wrote: »
    will there be the possibility to trade players between teams at the end?

You can trade players / picks at any point. Just give us a shout once a trade deal is agreed upon and I'll update the spreadsheet to reflect it.

- Le Tessier's laziness, poor athletic preperation and chronic lack of ambition is a really bad tone to set for a team imo. He has had flashes of brilliance, sure. But he is little more than a highlight reel player. For most of any given season he will give you NOTHING;

I disagree. There are dozens and dozens of players capable of being the engine of team, who can win the ball and start attacks. Le Tissier is a member of a very select club in that he is capable of creating something from nothing. His laziness and lack of defensive steel are totally negated by his effectiveness at the business end of the pitch. If we can scored 30 goals in one season from midfield with a poor Southampton team, imagine how he'd do in a top-class team.

I disagree with your evaluation of wright being unable to lift players.

I compared him to Coisty for this very reason, the guy had such a passion fot the game, and more importantly his team that he played with a smile on his face.
    His character on the pitch is infectious and through this he bacame a sort of "talisman" and gave players confidence.

Every single team in every single game creates at least one chance in the oppositions penalty area.
    With a player like Wright in the team you are always confident of getting a goal, even if it comes from a ricocheted lump up the pitch.

Just look at some of the teams he played in, Arsenal werent the free flowing team we know now, they didnt create many chances.
    But when they did, Wright was there to take them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

I can't believe that my second choice still hasn't been picked yet. I'm not going to say too much more however, as maybe he'll still be able at pick 47 or whenever I am next:D
    Word of warning, as far as I know I will have no internet for the entire bank holiday weekend - eircom customer service sucks - so in the unlikely event of it being my turn again before Tuesday feel free to skip me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm surprised it took so long for Ronaldo to be snapped up.

He is also the only player picked so far who is still in the Premiership playing at his peak. Does that say something about the standard of the Premiership now compared to 5 or 10 years ago? Or about how we're reluctant to recognise players until the dust has settled on their careers?

The reason I didn't go for Ron is because I'm not sure how effective he would be in a team with less than spectacular players around him. He's a goal-scoring phenom alright but my first pick needed to be someone who could carry the team and I don't believe Ronaldo can do that as well as others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just checked the picks for the first time Since Wednesday and anyone I had in mind is gone.

most of my team is still in tact but it's certainly a real kick in the sack be number 23 in the picks sure I'll get 2 close together who are definately good players but I won't get any of real show stoppers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

the 24hour rule kicks in at 14.26. Iago will then be up.

I've pm'd the two lads. Once Iago makes his pick the next in line can go. Melion can choose at any time but we are no longer waiting for him. This round is going quite slowly thus far. Hopefully, once everyone has picked once and knows where the thread is, etc, things will speed up as we go along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I replied to the PM, ill put up my choice now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I got my first choice, delighted.

I am also delighted that you picked Given first.

RasTa wrote: »
    I am also delighted that you picked Given first.

me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Didn't get any of my first choice selections, but still more than happy with the options open to me.

Pick made and PM sent.

I think Beckham is an excellent choice. Great work ethic, great technique and a huge threat from dead balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah if Beckham had somehow slipped way down the pecking order he would have been my next pick. Back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Yeah, Beckham was one I had in mind as a possible dark horse that might have been passed by until round 2. I don't expect to get my next pick by the time it's back to me, but here's hoping.

Thanks for the PM replies Melion and Iago.

Quite shocked that Vieira dropped all the way to me. But I won't complain! :)

bohsman has been pm'd and the spreadsheet updated. Please remember to PM the next in line when you're done picking guys, cheers.

• Advertisement

pretty shocking that viera only goes now, im sure you almost creaming yourself in anticipation lloyd considering the picks before you. He was one of 3 that id like for 1st pick but here's hoping i get one of them.

Trippie wrote: »
    pretty shocking that viera only goes now, im sure you almost creaming yourself in anticipation lloyd considering the picks before you. He was one of 3 that id like for 1st pick but here's hoping i get one of them.

Yep, there is still one player left that should have gone top three.

EDIT: I'm not saying any of the players that have gone thus far are bad players. They are all great talents. But it's seems clear to me that people aren't thinking in terms of relative value and I would argue that there are two guys gone so far that would have been there in round two for those who picked them.

not to sure of whom you speak of, i have 2 which i think should have gone much much sooner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

There are cases to be made for a tonne of players to go in first pick, most of which depends on what kind of team structure you're going with. To be honest there have only been 1 or 2 picks that I thought were suspect so far, of course I'm sure there are some that are thinking that of mine as well.

It's all about personal opinions which is what makes this so interesting.

Bohsman said he wont be on until Tuesday a few pages back in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

So by my reckoning bohsman's time is up (i think he even got an extra hour due to the clocks changing :D ) so it's ditpoker's turn. I know Lloyd is away for the weekend so I'll take the liberty of pming ditpoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

These hold-ups are sucking the fun out of the game. We had a nice little flow there a few days back. If people aren't going to be near their computer for a few days then they should just PM their choice to Lloyd and we can all crack on with the game.

I'd say the bank holiday weekend isn't helping things as i'm sure some people are away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yep, there is still one player left that should have gone top three.

EDIT: I'm not saying any of the players that have gone thus far are bad players. They are all great talents. But it's seems clear to me that people aren't thinking in terms of relative value and I would argue that there are two guys gone so far that would have been there in round two for those who picked them.
    I thought long and hard about who I wanted in this, the first five for me are all gone and Viera was the last one of them to go. I think when you make your first pick it should be someone who is/was great, is a leader and can change games. Imo Keane, Shearer, Henry, Scmeichel and Viera were the best players available in that category.
    I can understand where you are coming from, clearly you like to start building a team from the engine room. The spine is the most important part of a team and for me that means getting the best possible player for one of those positions. I chose Shearer as he was incredible and did not depend so much on the players around him to score goals. I would have chosen Keane if he was available for me. And if if the others that I mention above were not available including Shearer then it would have been Viera for me also.
    I am very surprised that he dropped so low in the draft. A great pick to have at that late stage. I would have mentioned it sooner only for it would not be fair to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

All the people who sprang to the front of my mind when I thought of this have now gone except for three, who I am sure will be gone sometime in the 30 before I get my go again.
    Gonna need to start trawling the memory for quiet legends...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Gary Pallister! In Round 1! :eek:

No arguments he was a good player but better than the likes of Big Sol, Adams, JT or even Steve Bruce? I'm not so sure.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Gary Pallister! In Round 1! :eek:

No arguments he was a good player but better than the likes of Big Sol, Adams, JT or even Steve Bruce? I'm not so sure.

I'm shocked at that pick. There are several better Centre Backs.

You shouldn't have named names though.

Delighted with my pick and have sent on a pm to the next person.

not quite as estatic as shoutman about my pick but ill take it, im really hoping for a quality 2nd pick and hopefully the two lads ahead of me dont pick all of the 4 I have in mind. pm sent to the next person

I'm with you there Trippie, there are two lads who I was very closely considering as my first round pick, thankfully Rooney wasn't one of them. No doubt a quality football player but I still think there are better available at this stage doing a more important role for the team then he does.

Well there goes the last two I had in mind for my first pick.

RasTa wrote: »
    Well there goes the last two I had in mind for my first pick.

djimi traore is still available afaik

Pires - I don't like the ****er but I can now afford to have Dickov up top and my team would still get goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Classy player and a good pick. His goal scoring record was excellent, as good as some big name strikers, like Zola. Still can't believe one player hasn't been picked yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pires was on my shortlist. As is Dickov so nice one for reminding everyone of him :rolleyes: :p

Advertisement