Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Need to note it here aswell: the fact Matt Elliott wasn't picked is a complete bafflement to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My write-up is in. Took me bloody ages. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Write-up in.Took along time to write that.Sorry about the pictures too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Matt Elliott was one on my mind, but I felt that despite his age, McGrath was still physical enough during his time in the premiership, hence I went with short.

shoutman wrote: »
    Matt Elliott was one on my mind, but I felt that despite his age, McGrath was still physical enough during his time in the premiership, hence I went with short.

So you think Craig Short > Matt Elliott?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Need to note it here aswell: the fact Matt Elliott wasn't picked is a complete bafflement to me.

I'm surprised Steve Howey wasn't picked either.

I think Short fits along nicely with McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

As much as I like Frisbee naming the team after High School Musical any 3 man defence with Neill as the lone centre back is going to concede a truck load of goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Bubs101 wrote: »
    As much as I like Frisbee naming the team after High School Musical any 3 man defence with Neill as the lone centre back is going to concede a truck load of goals

It was actually in the Simpsons first...

"Who are we?"
    "THE WILDCATS!"

"Who we gonna beat?"
    "THE WILDCATS!"

• Advertisement

one centre back. i thought i was seeing things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mayordenis wrote: »
    Add to that Sol Campbell and Agger's "inexperience" becomes less of an Issue having the best centre back to ever grace the premiership beside him makes this an excellent partnership for me.

I respect a lot of what you say on here, but jeebus man, what drugs are you on today?

No doubt he was and is a good one, but this is just laughable.

Top 3 undoubtably, number 1 arguabley

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

cant remember whos team it was but i really like the look of the team that has this as its backbone

Lehman
    McGrath
    Gerrard
    Drogba

especially when you add in that Tevez and Ashley Young are also in there

Top 3 undoubtably, number 1 arguabley
    So you have him ahead of a number of the following, McGrath, Adams, Stam, Terry, Vidic, Laursen, Southgate, Hypia, Pallister, Bruce, Radebe, Ferdinand.

I'd definitely put him in the mix, but I have at least five of them ahead of him and there are more that I can't think of right now.

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you have him ahead of a number of the following, McGrath, Adams, Stam, Terry, Vidic, Laursen, Southgate, Hypia, Pallister, Bruce, Radebe, Ferdinand.

I'd definitely put him in the mix, but I have at least five of them ahead of him and there are more that I can't think of right now.

Carvahlo should be in that list too, lotta competition for Cambell imo, he might be in the top 5 but i wouldent say no.1

• Advertisement

It's difficult but in terms of who I saw alot of Campbell was very consistently good for a long period, the heart of a defense who went unbeaten and had no real weakness. He's certainly better than Adams, Terry,laursen,Southgate,Bruce and Radabe from what I've seen and McGrath apparently only had one good season in the Premiership so I'd put him ahead of him too

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I respect a lot of what you say on here, but jeebus man, what drugs are you on today?

No doubt he was and is a good one, but this is just laughable.

Sol campbell has to be in everyones top 3 like some siad above and he is more or less the most experienced been in it from the start,
    I can understand you disagreeing no problem - it's anything but laughable though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Vidic

this is going to far I know that everyone has a massive hard on for him right now - but Yes Sol Campbell in this type of situation on overall impact in the premier league would absolutely obliterate Nemanja - it's not even close.

mayordenis wrote: »
    this is going to far I know that everyone has a massive hard on for him right now - but Yes Sol Campbell in this type of situation on overall impact in the premier league would absolutely obliterate Nemanja - it's not even close.
    Well it is actually for me, reason being that the one of the two best defenders of all time imo is named above, that being Paul McGrath.

So my point is that he is definitely not the best to have played in the premier league. I'd personally also put Adams and Pallister ahead of him of those that are retired. There are a couple in the League right now who I rate better than he ever was.

My main point though is that rating him as the best ever ahead of Paul McGrath is laughable.

It's difficult but in terms of who I saw alot of Campbell was very consistently good for a long period, the heart of a defense who went unbeaten and had no real weakness. He's certainly better than Adams, Terry,laursen,Southgate,Bruce and Radabe from what I've seen and McGrath apparently only had one good season in the Premiership so I'd put him ahead of him too
    Where did you get this from?

He was magnificent for Villa for first four years of the PL one of which he won player of the year.

• Advertisement

Paul McGrath is known as "God" to us Villa fans so you can tell how highly we rated all his time at the club not just one season.

Where did you get this from?

He was magnificent for Villa for first four years of the PL one of which he won player of the year.

I think I read it on Lloyd's poker forum draft thread which I was using as a reference. Like I said, I had never seen him in the Premiership, only for Ireland

I think I read it on Lloyd's poker forum draft thread which I was using as a reference. Like I said, I had never seen him in the Premiership, only for Ireland
    Fair enough, but wherever you saw or read it, its completely wrong. He was magnificent for Villa right up to his last year.

In most top 11 all time premiership players McGrath is always there, it is not because of his personality and all the good deeds he has done off the pitch, it's because he was a phenomenal defender.

Americans with opinions on football lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

As well as his time at Villa, McGrath was brilliant in his time in the prem with Derby too.

Americans with opinions on football lol.

Surely you mean soccer.

Whats the craic with this lads? Is someone holding it up or is it just taking time for the next phase of it to get organised/begin?

shoutman wrote: »
    Whats the craic with this lads? Is someone holding it up or is it just taking time for the next phase of it to get organised/begin?

There's a lot of people who haven't posted their write up yet.

I reckon we give them till Wednesday, if they haven't done it by then, tough luck and they'll have to do without the benefit of a writeup

Seriously lads can we move this along?

By my reckoning (and correct me if I'm wrong), people who have not submitted a writeup yet are:

gonzovision
    Eirebear
    Iago
    LuckyLloyd
    bohsman
    Trippie

And people who I'm not sure if what they have written is their write up or not are:

wardie
    ditpoker

Can we set a limit for these people to have their write up's submitted and if it's not in by then well then they have to do without one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bump

What's the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Im skiing in Italy at the moment so wont be able to do the writeup until Sunday

Xavi, Frisbee - I'm going to do mine tomorrow. I'll pm all those who have yet to do theirs over the weekend and we'll aim to have the thread up for the next phase by Monday 02 Feb.

Xavi, Frisbee - I'm going to do mine tomorrow. I'll pm all those who have yet to do theirs over the weekend and we'll aim to have the thread up for the next phase by Monday 02 Feb.
    Have you it done yet Lloyd?:pac: a.k.a. bump

Any word on this yet?
    It's getting annoying to those of us having done it and a lot of people not bothering or even having the courtesy to explain why they haven't done their write up yet tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Frisbee wrote: »
    Any word on this yet?
    It's getting annoying to those of us having done it and a lot of people not bothering or even having the courtesy to explain why they haven't done their write up yet tbh.

Ya, its been a long time since I've done anything for this.

yeah it's a shame this seems to be fizzling out at this stage

this is getting a bit ridiculous to be honest. if people haven't time to do big write ups then fair enough, but you should just post your final team and then we can get on with it.
    fair enough if you have been away for whatever reason, that can't be the case for everyone though.

fair enough if you have been away for whatever reason, that can't be the case for everyone though.

It's not. I've seen several people posting.
    I wouldn't have bothered entering this if I'd known it would fall apart at the end.
    And I don't know why those who haven't submitted their team bothered either tbh.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    It's not. I've seen several people posting.
    I wouldn't have bothered entering this if I'd known it would fall apart at the end.
    And I don't know why those who haven't submitted their team bothered either tbh.
    Well I can understand it to be fair, as soon as they seen my full team go up, they knew they had no chance so just decided not to bother.:)

Well I can understand it to be fair, as soon as they seen my full team go up, they knew they had no chance so just decided not to bother.:)

Aye that makes sense alright :cool:

Ok - I've dropped the ball and I apologize. I'll make it up, promise! :pac:

Ok - I've dropped the ball and I apologize. I'll make it up, promise! :pac:

I can't believe I ever believed in you.... :(:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Aaaaaaaand back to page 1 you go

Bump :pac:

Don't worry Xavi, I'll make it up to ye tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Bump.

I'll do the write ups for you all myself. And i won't be complimentary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I won't be doing any writeup so you can skip me for that part. I'll do up a formation when I get time.

I'm doing 60 hour weeks in work atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We all know mine is the best team anyway so if yis want to just award me the win now that's fair enough. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

If this is stalling, maybe people are being asked to do too much... Perhaps a cup competition? A random draw and the two teams get posted up and readers can thank whichever team they think would win and that team progresses to the next round, the other team is out. No need for write ups, let readers make their own minds up on the merits of the team based on the players. None of my business I know but enjoyed the team selection bit, looking forward to the next bit.

Just start it now, those who haven't done the write up clearly can't have that much interest in it now and it's unfair to penalise those who have. By the time everyone actually finishes the write ups the second wrestling one will be in full swing, hint hint MNG

• Advertisement
Advertisement