Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Iago wrote: »
    yup, pm'ed him yesterday around 17.30.

Cheers. Eirebear is up at 17.30 so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Sorry, i was in work all night last night and all day today. Im going to put up my pick now in a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I really wouldnt call Gary Nevill the greatest right back in Premier League History.
    Part of one of the best teams. Not best in his position...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Frisbee wrote: »
    I really wouldnt call Gary Nevill the greatest right back in Premier League History.
    Part of one of the best teams. Not best in his position...

Think the crest at the bottom of your sig might be influencing that, he was in five of the 10 PFA teams of the year from 1997 to 2007 and he was too injured to be considered for 2008. Also, I think his success and awards alone would take him away from the hooveresque other great right back I was referring to in my post and I assume you're referring to here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I think Neville was one the best right back in premiership history, still don't think he has the ability to deal with some of the star left wingers though...

He was solid and consistent but not the most talented imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Sheringham is a great pick, one I had hoped would slip through to me towards the end of this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think Gary Neville is the best right back in Premiership history by some margin. No other player has been as consistently good in that position as he's been. I imagine he was one of Fergie's first names on the sheet. Very assured at the back and dangerous going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Sheringham was gonna be my pick there, never mind ill work on my back line for a while.

Adams should have been picked ages ago. A fantastic defender, great leader of a team and scorer of my favorite Arsenal goal of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Balls, I was hoping for Adams too! Can't believe some of the players picked ahead of him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Adams should have been picked long ago. Him and McGrath were a cut above the rest of the centre backs. How Bruce and Pallister and even Desailly were picked ahead of him i'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Desailly >>>>>>>>>>> Adams... that's why. He was a tall donkey, good for the 80's

RasTa wrote: »
    Desailly >>>>>>>>>>> Adams... that's why. He was a tall donkey, good for the 80's

As well as the 90's and 00's. He won the league in three different decades. How many players can say that? To call him a donkey is farcical stuff.

He was a tall donkey, good for the 80's

Couldn't disagree with you more. Adams was the leader, organiser and best all round defender in the most feared and effective priemership defence of all time. He was a phenomenal defender, and as part of Wenger's Arsenal revolution for six seasons showed he could play good football also. Dominant in the air, tough in the tackle and a great reader of the game.

Wreck wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree with you more. Adams was the leader, organiser and best all round defender in the most feared and effective priemership defence of all time. He was a phenomenal defender, and as part of Wenger's Arsenal revolution for six seasons showed he could play good football also. Dominant in the air, tough in the tackle and a great reader of the game.

With no pace....I mean your calling him a cut above Desalliy ffs and going on about how he was the best center back ever to grace the premiership.

With no pace....I mean your calling him a cut above Desalliy ffs and going on about how he was the best center back ever to grace the premiership.

He did lack pace, but his positional sense was second to none meaning that he had an extra yard to make up for that.

Look, he may not be the best centre back ever, but he is most definitely in the top 5, and well above the likes of Bruce and Palister who were picked ahead of him. But there's not much point in discussing this with someone who considers him a donkey who was ok in the 80's.

You can't ignore his fantastic leadership and organisational skills either. Arsenal had the most well-drilled, solid defense in the league for years and years, and much of that was down to Adams.

Wreck wrote: »
    Look, he may not be the best centre back ever, but he is most definitely in the top 5, and well above the likes of Bruce and Palister who were picked ahead of him. But there's not much point in discussing this with someone who considers him a donkey who was ok in the 80's.

Rubbish and he only looks like a donkey. He ain't top 5 Premiership center backs that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Rubbish and he only looks like a donkey. He ain't top 5 Premiership center backs that's for sure.
    There must be bias here. Tony Adams was a rock for his entire career. He was certainly one of the most consistent defenders in the history of the premier league.

I don't know why you are so against his inclusion as one of the best, he clearly was right up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Damn you Eirebear. I was one person away from getting my next pick!!

May have to think a bit on this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bah Sheringham was the one I wanted for my 'behind the striker' role.

lol the same happened to me with sheringham, i reckon he would have been the perfet player alongside wright.

I hadnt been keping up with th thread for the last couple of days so i was really suprised that Adams hadnt gone yet

Come on, come on, let me pick before bed-time! :)

I certainly hope you don't pick Djimi Traore before I do!

Interesting how things are panning out now.
    I spent a wee while deliberating wether to pick Stam or Adams this round, i figured Stam might be one of the ones who slipped under the radar though.

Good Choice Necro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Jesus what are all the united fans going to do when the big names are all done with, I assume some biased united fan will be snapping up kleberson, djemba-djemba, veron and forlan pretty soon. (joke btw)

While some of the earlier picks do smack a little of club bias, I don't think you can really argue with Stam. If he hadn't been taken, I probably would have picked him myself.

Ah ffs my dream partnership of Sheringham and Jimmy is in tatters :mad:

Now where's that drawing board?

I must say this is painfully slow, I really think we need more in the way of a time limit.
    just my opinion.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I must say this is painfully slow, I really think we need more in the way of a time limit.
    just my opinion.

From the history of the wrestling draft, it's the fairest time delay although i do think there should be a penalty for missing your go like having to wait until the end of the round. Generally speaking, what tends to happen is that you'll go through quite spots with posters who have a post count of less than say 1,500 but occasionally you get a block of mods or people who spend inordinate amount of time on the soccer board and it flies.

Stam and Jimmy are great picks. Thought people would forget about Stam. Had it not have been for telling the truth in his biography he would have been much more fondly remembered

• Advertisement

Tick tock!

No picks today so far.....

Ah for jaysis sake, I had Speed as a top pick as well. Lost a lot off my shortlist in this round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Damn you!
    I was sure Speed wouldnt get picked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Picked and PM sent

Gary Speed is an excellent pick.

It didn't take long for the best left-back to go. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

it was said before that he was the best right back too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Djimi Traore gone already?!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It was a choice between him and a certain right back,and I'm a united fan so went for Irwin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

playa3 wrote: »
    Djimi Traore gone already?!:D

I actually think we should offer some prize of some sort to a person who picks Djimi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think full-backs are going to be at a serious premium. Might have to play a 3-5-2 or something :/

I think full-backs are going to be at a serious premium. Might have to play a 3-5-2 or something :/

I agree, I think in general, the Premier League has much less depth in that postion. Was tooing and froing between Irwin and Neville but ended up with Gary because I needed a captain and I think that there's a higher quality of left backs lower down the pecking order than right backs

Denis Irwin was a great player but I'm surprised to see him picked so early.
    I remember Paul McGrath being interviewed about full backs and he explained the difference between a certain England international and Denis Irwin. It was something like this, you hear a lot about (england international) and the way he recovers from a missed tackle to get back and get the ball, but with Denis Irwin, he doesn't make the mistake in the first place so you never hear his name mentioned that much.

You took my gary speed

Well with Franky Lamps going just before I was about to pick him I've had a bit of a rethink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Good pick with Les Ferdinand

titan18 wrote: »
    Good pick with Les Ferdinand

Ya, aside from his obvious ability - he also gets points for good temperament, longevity and consistency.

24 hours have been and gone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't know how this thing is working but if you have Lampard you wanna have the right team. He's very much a luxury player in that you'd have to build the team around him. In fact, you could replace him with 1 central midfielder from many a premiership club and probably make their team worse. He's great at what he does, the best in the world, but far from the best central midfielder.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    24 hours have been and gone...

I've pm'd wardie and gonzovision. Wardie is on the clock and gonzovision will need to post a pick whenever he gets the chance.

It is inevitable that we will see some slowdown at the weekends.

Advertisement