Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premiership Player Draft - Discussion Only

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

With drogba and gerrard in the team you're bound to win lots of penalties whether or not Mcgrath would be happy with them diving all the time is a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

with mcgrath gerrard and drogba it very strong thru the middle so far!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Damn, Drogba was going to be my next pick. Him and Sheringham up front would have been brilliant.

Not too sure about Klinsmann though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think Klinnsman was a good pick. He didn't play for long in the league, but he did brilliantly when he was here - and a modest club like Spurs too! :)

He's also the kind of player that would work well in the league as it is today too, whereas I feel that other strikers from days gone by would struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Yeah, think Klinsman is better than a few of the strikers picked before him. He was world class.

Like the way in the Drogba video of his top 5 goals the first one him hitting a really close free kick straight forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Frisbee wrote: »
    Just curious what people's takes are on Dublin as a Round 2 pick?
    Thought he would be gone well before my second go.

Was going to name Drogba and Klinnsmann as two of the far superior strikers to Dublin, but obviously that wouldn't have been right at the time.

Great thread btw, very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Do Jeff (Ditpoker) is up next, anybody else think that there is a distinct possibility that Djimi Traore could be next to be chosen>

I hope not... though I really doubt he'll still be there by the time my pick comes around...

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Have my next pick in mind, only 8 to go!

Klinsmann is a great pick, he was one I was thinking about. Interestingly, we're seeing more and more current Prem players. Must count how many are retired and how many are still playing.

Edit:

Retired: 23
    Current Prem: 19
    Current Other: 9

Think those are correct anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Have my next pick in mind, only 8 to go!

yeah 8 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cole the best left back? Not a chance,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

RasTa wrote: »
    Cole the best left back? Not a chance,

in current premiership, only left back who comes close is evra.

and i really dislike cole, but in terms of talent he has been doing the business at the top tier of english football (and european football) since his teens. he is extremely consistent, and you know what you're getting from him.

he has won enough trophies to definately merit discussion as the best left back.

irwin, winterburn are the only other two i can think of considering. but i reckon cole is better, has an attacking quality that i like.

and it gave me an excuse to google-image search cheryl cole... so there ya go! :p

ditpoker wrote: »

and it gave me an excuse to google-image search cheryl cole... so there ya go! :p

just like any event you run gives people a reason to google your sister just to know who to look out for on the day

Jeff you continue to astound me with your lack of footballing knowledge.

There are at least four left backs in premiership history who are better then Ashley Cole.

You are definately going to have the worst team in this draft.

No doubt about it!

shoutman wrote: »
    Jeff you continue to astound me with your lack of footballing knowledge.

There are at least four left backs in premiership history who are better then Ashley Cole.

You are definately going to have the worst team in this draft.

No doubt about it!

name and shame these 4 please!!

and while i may end up with the worst TEAM in the draft, chances are I'll have the only TEAM and not a bunch of individuals (lloyd!)

My all british, bring back the golden era style of management is a sure fire route to success!!

and trippie, dont make me come over there!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

shoutman wrote: »

Cashley is probably the best attacking left back in the premiership though and the best one has already been taken. If he is playing with attacking full backs it's a decent pick

Cant believe Cole got picked so early myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

in current premiership, only left back who comes close is evra.

There's not much choose between Clichy and Evra imo, not going to comment on Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Cole is far from the best left back. There are at least two currently better than him.
    Also, your plan to build from the back is fatally flawed. None of your defenders are world class and your attack is now almost certainly going to be laughable.
    I for one look forward to unleashing McManaman on an unsuspecting Cole.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Cashley is probably the best attacking left back in the premiership though and the best one has already been taken. If he is playing with attacking full backs it's a decent pick

Cole is a pretty good defender and can run forward very fast. He can't, however, do anything of note with the ball. There are two current left backs who can both run very fast and use the ball exceptionally. And that's just current.

• Advertisement

PLAN 1:i have a cunning plan to be the laughing stick of the whole draft ordeal so i get the sympathy vote, and when my team gets matched up against say shoutmans team, people vote for my team as a piss take, and i stroll to vistory.

PLAN 2: My quality team of quality is so full of quality that i out quality even the most qualitiest of quality!

both work for me.

Cole is far from the best left back. There are at least two currently better than him.
    Also, your plan to build from the back is fatally flawed. None of your defenders are world class and your attack is now almost certainly going to be laughable.
    I for one look forward to unleashing McManaman on an unsuspecting Cole.

Okay, current left backs:
    Chelsea: Cashley cole
    Liverpool: Dossena the most played left back at the club? Aurelio?? neither are better left backs that ashley cole.
    Man United: Evra is quality, i do rate Evra, but (as can be seen from my pick) if push comes to shove, I'd pick ashley ahead of evra.
    Arsenal: you mnetion clichy, again, very much in the ashley cole mold, gets forward well and does his defensive job very well. very much ashley cole 2.
    Aston Villa: luke young, nikcy shorey?? better than cole? no.
    Hull City: no.
    Everton: Lescott? no.

actually, i was going to go through every team in the premier league and pick their best left back and compare them to cole, but beyond those mentioned i cannot think of anyone in the league in that position who comes close to him.

and to say Bruce, Pallister, Cole arent world class defenders i think is flawed. these lads have numerous PREMIERSHIP winners medals between them. They have all be part of hugely successful DOMESTIC teams. This is afterall a Premier League draft. Picking edgar davids on how good we is for Ajax or the Dutch team is pointless for example. My three picks so far were all quality in their position, first name on the team sheet stuff, at clubs that won the thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You forget that chelsea have another left back one who alot of people would argue has put in better performances when played.

GrailKnight.jpg

I think this just about sums up all of ditpoker's picks so far

Jeff you do realise that they had left backs before the current crop of premiership players yea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This mentioning of other players is going too far. We need to leave the names of players not yet chosen out of this thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

eagle eye wrote: »
    This mentioning of other players is going too far. We need to leave the names of players not yet chosen out of this thread.

Haha - yea I squirm every time a player I have as one of my "under the radar stars" is mentioned.
    I reckon if truth be told between the 23 of us pretty much every player of worth has been thought of.
    Sol Campbell, Pires, and Klinsmann = happy mayordenis after 3 picks.

Arsenal: you mnetion clichy, again, very much in the ashley cole mold, gets forward well and does his defensive job very well. very much ashley cole 2.

Nowhere did i mention Clichy. You're not supposed to name players yet to be picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Jeff is officially putting me on Premiership Draft Tilt.

Mark Hughes, care to elaborate bohsman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Guys, i had no idea this was gonna take so long.

Unfortunately im off on holiday on Saturday for a fortnight so im gonna miss out on 2 or 3 picks going by the pace at the minute.

Do i just stick up my picks when i get back or do i need my go to come around again before sticking them all up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Legend. Not the highest strike rate but worked tirelessly, scored fantastic goals and kept doing it at the highest level into his mid thirties. Id have him ahead of some of the strikers picked everyday of the week.

Eirebear - I missed 2 picks as I had no internet, I had to make both picks straight away when I got back online.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Guys, i had no idea this was gonna take so long.

Unfortunately im off on holiday on Saturday for a fortnight so im gonna miss out on 2 or 3 picks going by the pace at the minute.

Do i just stick up my picks when i get back or do i need my go to come around again before sticking them all up?

You can just stick them up as soon as they get a chance. Given what you have said, if you get a go after Saturday I'm just going to automatically skip on once you are up. Is that ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You can just stick them up as soon as they get a chance. Given what you have said, if you get a go after Saturday I'm just going to automatically skip on once you are up. Is that ok?

Yep, thats grand dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Only 4 to go to your next pick Eirebear, I reckon you'll get one in by Saturday. You'll probably only miss one pick in the fortnight you're gone.

David Ginola. Guess it will spark some debate.

Spreadsheet updated and Iago PM'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You like your French players don't you Lloyd? ;)

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    David Ginola. Guess it will spark some debate.

Spreadsheet updated and Iago PM'd.

i see "controversial" is a synonym for "bad" now...

I'd have picked Ginola too... because he's worth it. Aha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Ginola - Il et Magnifique

http://rusta.co.uk/music/music_001.html

Still think there are better players available who perform the same job as him, none would be as pretty though. Still an awful lot better then any of Jeff's picks.

Unfortunatley Jeff is still better at football then me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

cashley is a bad pick imo
    i see "controversial" is a synonym for "bad" now...

i fully endorse this product and/or service

i agree that a player with flair and skill was the way to go for your next pick, but i think there are better value players available at this stage who fit the bill(unless of course you need an all french lineup)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some of these comments really surprise me. Have people forgotten what a superb player Ginola was? Definitely one of the Premeirship's great wingers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ZmZmexMhA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ginola was class on his day but I think he was too inconsistent (and he's lazy too).I can see why he was picked though.

as a spurs fan, i will 100000% agree that ginola on his day was AMAZING!!!
    as a spurs fan, i will 100000% agree that ginola's day was 3-4 times a seasonn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

as a spurs fan, i will 100000% agree that ginola on his day was AMAZING!!!
    as a spurs fan, i will 100000% agree that ginola's day was 3-4 times a seasonn.

I'm not sure you know how percentages work tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

pick made, melion pm'ed

Good pick. On his day, there's no better defender in his position, and he offers bags of experience and versatility. Captain material too!

:( another defender gone, only 37 picks to go, not looking good that ill get the defensive lynchpin i want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ginola was my next pick

• Advertisement
Advertisement