Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on a buy

Options
  • 22-10-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

i dont want to build a pc because i just wouldnt be able to, so i just want to know if this is a good deal or can i get better deal somewere else, my budget isnt really much more than this so any advice would be appreciated. also ill be mainly usin the pc for gaming.
    its at www.medionshop.co.uk

Medion Electronics
    Akoya® PC System P6888
    Genuine Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6600,3GB RAM, 1000GB HDD and Blu-Ray player

Product No. 10011817

£ 499.99

Product Description

Feature packed multimedia PC with Intel® CoreTM 2 Quad Processor Q6600, genuine Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, 1000GB hard disk, 3GB RAM and Blu-Ray player.

Awarded the Best Budget Buy award by Computer Shopper in their December 2008 issue.

Features

* Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium
    o preinstalled and on Recovery DVD
    * 3GB DDR2-SDRAM
    * 1000 GB Hard Disk
    o 7200rpm, interface Serial ATA
    * Blu-Ray Reader/DVD-ReWriter
    o Max: 4x DVD+R9 (DL), 4x DVD-R9 (DL), 16x DVD+R, 16x DVD-R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW, 5x DVD-RAM
    * NVIDIA® GeForce® 9300GS
    o PCI-Express Graphics card with 256MB, DVI-I, 1 x D-Sub VGA and 1 x TV Out
    * Integrated Memory Card Reader
    o reads from and writes to all standard memory cards**
    * DVB-T/Analogue TV tuner card***
    * Network controller Gigabit 10/100/1000 Mbit/s
    * IEEE 1394 FireWire
    * 8 Channel Audio
    * PS/2 keyboard and mouse
    * Remote control

Connections

* Front Ports:
    o 2x USB 2.0
    o 1x headphone
    o 1x microphone
    o 1x IEEE 1394 FireWire
    o 1x Audio in
    o 1x Composite in
    o 1x S-Video in
    * Rear Ports:
    o 4x USB 2.0
    o 2x PS/2
    o 1x LAN (RJ45)
    o 1x FireWire
    * Audio:
    o 1x Line in
    o 1x Mic in
    o 1x Front Line Out
    o 1x Centre/Subwoofer Line Out
    o 1x Back Surround Out
    o 1x Side Surround Out

Software

* Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium*
    * Microsoft® Works 9*
    * Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 Trial Edition*
    o 60 days test version, an internet connection is required for activation. After 60 days you have to purchase a license if you want to continue using the product
    * Nero Burning ROM 8 Essentials*
    * Nero Recode 2 Essentials
    * BullGuard Internet Security Pack
    o incl. 90 day update (free registration necessary) from the internet. After 90 days you have to purchase a license if you want to receive ongoing updates

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It wouldn't be that great for gaming. If you do buy it upgrade the graphics card to a 9600gt, it'll give it that extra oomph. It doesn't seem grat value at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭vorbis^cs

do u know any webbys for already build machines that are good for gaming and good on price?
    thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You could try komplett.ie they have a pc building section that allows you to chop and change the parts. Specc'd one lats night for 800€ and to buy the parts seperatly it would have cost just over 1000€

Ankermann also do this pc builder, but alot of people have been having problems with them recently. Ranging from terrible build quality, missing software(operating system which was not a oem/lisence copy) and terribly ignorant customer support.

thanks for the help.. im customising a pc in komplett.ie and i just want to know what the difference is between these two graphics cards because its the difference of 80 euro im a bit of a noob when it comes to this so thanks again..

EVGA nForce-750i SLI, ForTheWin (FTW), Socket-775, DDR2, GbLAN, 2xPCI-Ex(2.0)16

MSI P7N SLI Platinum, nForce-750i SLI, Socket-775, ATX, DDR2, 3xPCI-Ex(2.0)16

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

what games you play?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

couter stike source, COD4, gettin Crysis Warhead mainly online games or any first person shooter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just get the medion, its okay, add a good graphics card and you will be fine

Those are motherboards you are talking about, if you dont know then you are out of your depth and you could spend a lot of money on a lemon of a computer from komplett

Graphics cards are designed to trick new buyers, for those kinda games you should probably spend 100 euro on a graphics card..

something like a 9600GT would be perfect (and don't buy a 9500GT thinking it will be close, its about half the speed)

Advertisement