Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you break or start a horse?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey i was just wondering do ye train a horse in the traditional manner or use the new "starting" method of join up etc, Im very much old school i think but was just wondering how ye do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think breaking and starting are supposed to mean essentially the same thing. Its just some people dont like the connotations of the word 'breaking'.

I'd go with 'backing' and 'schooling' myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

I did various things and wrote them up here (sorry would take years to copy across):

http://ihdg.proboards91.com/index.cgi?board=talk2&action=display&thread=41656&page=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

I thought I'd bring this one up again as it is a very cool subject.

I am a starter. And I am old enough to remember when people said Monty.......who?

It works.

However getting a horse to accept tack and rider is one thing. Getting him riding well is the real challenge any experiences anyone would like to share for all our education.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I go with both, if that makes sense.

I have a 'late' foal, for want of a better word, she was born 31st October. I didnt go near her for the 1st 2 weeks, left her completely with the mare, even though i stabled them at night. the 3rd week, i started to handle her, just doing little things, like stratching her back, rubbing her neck..She's almost 2 months old now, comes up to me in the field when i call her, we can lift up her 4 feet, and almost have her leading near perfect. Was a little struggle to get headcollar on her initially, but she's ok now. She's getting the hang of leading, though, as she's out, there's no real need to do much with her, but, she will walk a little distance with me, which is fine for now. the 1st day she had the headcollar on was a bit confusing for her, but she's learning quickly now that i'm not fighting against her, and for now, when she pulls away, i don't pull her towards me, i just stand and once she stops pulling i loosen the lead, its working so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

any pics of the baby :)
    The person who owns the horses by my girlfriends house break the horses. Whatever that means

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 WLPD

Have to say that I do it my way;) the best of all the methods I've seen overthe years. Nowadays so many animals are handled, rugged and looked after better that its not such a big deal for many now to have a saddle added.Have seen thoroughbreds ridden off in 3 days but have also taken 8 weeks to get an untouched 4yld to trust me to lead him correctly before I started anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

i agree with you about some horses being backward, ive had some broken in 3 weeks, a week with breakin tack, a week in long reins and then jump up on em, others youd be lucky to get a bit of a mouth on them after three weeks in breaking tack. i have a great tip for anyone breaking in a nervey horse, get a bridle with a set of blinkers like what a driving horse wears and use these the first few times you ride the horse, this way you have gotthem used to your weight etc before they see you on their backs, oh and the day you take off d blinkers, ride d guts out o dem 1st n den take off d blinkers, there less inclined to lose the plot then!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cfog21

Hi,
    I was just curious about the different approaches that people take to breaking/starting a young horse. Obviously I know that every horse is different and situations vary.
    I'll give an example, just bought a 3yo mare, well handled and used to people, very calm and easy going, hoping to break/start her myself. I have a lot of experience with horses but this will be my first venture into training my own one and I need all the advice I can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

All i can say is TAKE YOUR TIME! Spend lots of time driving her and teaching her from the ground. Get her to trus you before you sit up on her and most of all get her to enjoy what you are doing.

togster is right, Spend as much time as you can spare driving her, and if you can drive her on a quiet road so that shell meet traffic etc. Id leave the breaking harness on for round 3 weeks, some take less and some take more, ive had some ready to ride after 3 weeks and some barely out of breaking tack in 3 weeks. Also just because shes well handled doesnt mean shell be easy to break, completely depends on the horse!!!!!!!!! If you can try and ask/watch how someone else breaks theres, dont neccessarily copy them just copy what you think will work, everyone has there own way of doing things like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cfog21

Thanks for that, appreciate the advice. Can't wait to get going now. Think I will be using some of the usual methods mixed with positive horsemanship methods to get her trusting me. Hopefully I'll find some sort of balance!

any chance of a explanation on what positive horsemanship is??? i was taught the old school way so havent a clue bout the new ways

Advertisement