Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BTEA and Grant if going into 2nd year???

• 22-10-2008 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there,

I started a course quite a number of years ago, when i was 18.
    I finished 1st year after a year of deferrals and then a year of repeats.
    Then i was to start 2nd year, so i registered for it in September 2004. But i deferred again, and have been deferred ever since.
    In the meantime, i initially worked, but then lost my job and have been receiving jobseekers allowance for just over 12months now.
    So recently i contacted my uni and they will accept me back onto my original course this year, straight back into 2nd year.
    However, im wondering if i`ll thus be able to get the BTEA and/or the grant if i do return to my studies. In fact, without those payments, I dont think i could afford to return.
    Any ideas???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How were you getting JSA if you had a college place deferred and waiting for you?? Anyways how old are you, and are you sure it was 12 months or more you were on the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

Well, i say it was deferred, but in truth, i dropped out. The financial cost to me at the time was too high and i couldnt afford to continue my studies.
    That, and some personal issues at the time too.
    So, I finished the 1st year repeats in 2003/2004, then paid my registration fee and registered for 2nd Year at the start of 2004/2005, but dropped out immediately.
    Then i went to work, worked for a number of years, but lost my job and started to receive JA about 16months ago.
    So while my college place wasnt officially deferred(as i didnt fill out relevant form), upon speaking to the head of the course in the last number of weeks, they would accept me back now into Year 2.
    So how do i stand do you think regarding BTEA and grant?
    Oh, and im 26 now btw.

You should be able to get it so, I don't think the first year of uni will count against you but just ask them next day you go in to sign, or go in now and they should help you out.

So, today, first of all i called the BTEA section in Carrick-on-Shannon.
    I explained my situation and she said that i wouldnt be entitled to BTEA since i would be joining the course in 2nd year and not to get my hopes up.

This unsettled me, so afterwards i checked welfare.ie and in the BTEA section found a paragraph about this:
    "
    Not first year:
    In order to qualify for participation in the BTEA scheme an applicant must be commencing the first year of an approved course of study. The intention of this condition is to discourage students from dropping out of college and "signing on" in order to qualify for BTEA for the remainder of a course of study. However, this may not be the case for all social welfare recipients. Each case should be examined individually taking into consideration the length of time out of education and in particular the relevant social welfare payment the applicant is in receipt of. "

So, this appears to say i may have a chance...
    Also, just underneath the above section is BTEA Disqualifications, and within that there is the line...

"The main consideration in such cases is that the proposed further qualification will substantially enhance the person's employment prospects."
    And right below that, once again, a similar line...

"Similar to the above, the main consideration in such cases is the enhancement of the person's employment prospects."

So i then went to my local welfare office and enquired about it.
    The woman i spoke to didnt know much about it, so she left me and went to ask a colleague, she was only a minute with her so im not sure if she explained all the details, namely the bit about me going straight into 2nd year. But she returned to me and told me that yes, i would be eligible for it based on my lack of current qualifications and the prospects it would give me.

So, what to believe?
    I get told i havent a chance by one person over the phone, and then get told i do have a chance by another person in the local office.
    Plus welfare.ie is clear on the point, but then says, that all appliactions are treated individually.

Considering that my application would be made to the actual local office, am i right in being optimistic?
    Or will they just stamp APPLICATION DENIED when they see i tick the 2nd year box on the form.
    Anyone have any similar experience to this that could shed some light on it?

tbh its a pretty messed up system so you are best to just go in, fill out the form, talk to the person who knows most about it in the office (there should be one) if they don't give you the right answer try and speak to someone else and get a clear reason why you have been denied, and point to the reasons you showed above why you should get it. I think you fulfill all the criteria so there shouldn't be a problem.

• Advertisement

Finally got speaking to the girl in charge of BTEA at the local welfare office, after much to-ing and fro-ing.
    Good News...She will accept my application, so now all i gotta do is fill out the paperwork this weekend, register at my uni next week, and it`ll be all set up.
    Plus i have until November 28th to submit my grant application too.
    Feeling very happy about going back now.
    Thanks for your help brianthebard.

Advertisement