Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New tyres - how long to run in

Options
  • 22-10-2008 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I got new rear tyres (Bridgestone 245/40 18" runflats on a 5 series) and have since put about 500kms on them. For a while I noticed the traction control light coming on quite a bit (which is to be expected with new tyres). This doesnt happen as much now.

What I have noticed now though it that at higher speeds the car feels a little bit less stable/ a little bit wobbly say if I change lanes reasonably quickly (it's not all over the place by any means, it's just marginal) I'm wondering if I need to get them balanced? Could it be that the tyres are still running in?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Slipperiness when new is caused by the mould release compound. This normally takes much less than 500km to get rid of (more like 20-30km).

Check your pressures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Ive heard a figure of about 200 miles mentioned before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

tyres should be run in after 500 kms

if the car is a little wobbly on cornering etc you might need to get your shocks/suspension or wheel aligment checked

the wheels should have been balanced when fitting the tyres .. unbalanced wheels usually cause a vibration or shudder as opposed to 'wobble'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

TheBazman wrote: »
    For a while I noticed the traction control light coming on quite a bit

Heavy right foot ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

homer90 wrote: »
    Heavy right foot ? :D

I plead the fifth on that one :)

Cheers guys - I doubt if it is anything like shocks/suspension as it was fine before the tyres were changed. I'll check the pressure first I suppose. In terms of getting them aligned is this just done at tyre centres or can it be done as part of a service (it is due soon)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement