Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Cert

Options
  • 22-10-2008 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Just read in the Examiner that all rented acc will be required to get this cert, is that correct?

I am currently based abroad and my house is rented out. So how does one go about getting this cert? My house was built in 2005/2006 (I think) and I purchased it from the builders in May 2006. Will it already have a BER cert?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

It probably wont have a cert , but check it out. You will defo need a cert for renting from january.You will have to contact a BER survaer to take mesurments and energy rating of the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Ginger wrote: »
    Just read in the Examiner that all rented acc will be required to get this cert, is that correct?

I am currently based abroad and my house is rented out. So how does one go about getting this cert? My house was built in 2005/2006 (I think) and I purchased it from the builders in May 2006. Will it already have a BER cert?

Thanks for any advice

Hi Ginger, I am a qualified BER assessor and yes your rented properly will have to have a BER Cert come January 2009. At present no-one in the country is qualified to carry out a BER Assessment on an existing Dwelling as SEI (The governing agency) haven't released the final exam.

I don't believe that come the 1st of Jan someone will be knocking on your door, i am sure that SEI will give people time to get an assessment completed.

BTW if your living in rented accommodation your Landlord is responsible for the BER CERT.

Regards
    Shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Golden question Smcgie, how much will the cert cost??

By the way, seeing as you did the cert aswell, what did you think of it? Load of crap or what??
    I sat the course for work but with a mind to doing some nixers but when I met an ex bloody fisherman from castletownbere who knew nothing about building but, who on paper, would have given the same cert as I could I decided it was too much of a joke to bother with. That and I could see a million grey areas which could get you sued.

Waste of money TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

i agree 100 per cent complete waste of 1400 euros for course ,only ones raking it is the course providers,i know artitect s doing it for free if you give them the planing permission for house thing,it like the nct for cars a form of tax . only thing is with rented accomadation cert no artitect is going to do it for less than 300 not worth his while. i can see auctioneers doing the bulk of them as they are well in with landlords in the first place and as there all twiddling there thumbs they have time to do it where as in the good old days they would bother there barney
    so my tip to you is if your not in the property game forget about ,go on a holiday better spend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Boggle wrote: »
    Golden question Smcgie, how much will the cert cost??

In the region of €380 - €500 depending on dwelling size & specification. Its not an easy thing to quote when you haven't done may but i know one thing for sure the person from SEI that assisted the publishment on RTE last night that a BER Assessors fee for an existing Dwelling will be in the region of €200 must live in a dog box!

No Assessor could afford to assess a dwelling at that price and from talking to a few assessors today they are furious.

Shane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I am looking at a 1600sqft house to be assesed, buggery.. and I am guessing with the amount of rented accomodation around the university where its close to, there will be a list as long as the road to get them

Advertisement