Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champs League Match:Atletico V Liverpool [All Pre/During/After Match Discussion]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

handbags ladies...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

"Don't mess with the God's Bill" lol:pac:

Damn Spockety got there first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mayordenis wrote: »
    ah shut up will ya,
    reactionary nonsense you and dunphy should meet up in the men's and have a good aul time.

We spent £20mil on the fat c*nt to score goals. how many has he got so far this season? 2? Still hasnt scored in the league and he's doing **** like that?

He should be fined a few weeks wages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Grand it's all keane's fault i'm sorry for trying to look at the bigger picture - DAM YOU KEANE!! DAM YOU TO HELL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Grand it's all keane's fault i'm sorry for trying to look at the bigger picture - DAM YOU KEANE!! DAM YOU TO HELL!!!

Yeah thats it. Take the high ground and be all mature ...............

If you cant discuss somethign properly leave the stroppiness and childish crap outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DAMN DIRTY APES!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

spockety wrote: »
    Hmm i dunno. I think rafa obviously doesn't understand the champions league, liverpool will never win it with him in charge.

Brilliant:D

We spent £20mil on the fat c*nt to score goals. how many has he got so far this season? 2? Still hasnt scored in the league and he's doing **** like that?

He should be fined a few weeks wages.

You have opened my eyes.

Sherifu wrote: »
    DAMN DIRTY APES!

you leave dunphy and giles out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The game was there for the taking and for that reason its a bad result. BUT in the grand scheme of things, its not the end of the world. 7 points from 3 games and the hardest game of the group stages behind us.

The one thing that stood out for me today was how dreadful Arbeloa was. Fouled anything that came near him and was caught out of position time and time again. Riera started v.well but again drifted out of the game.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Yeah thats it. Take the high ground and be all mature ...............

If you cant discuss somethign properly leave the stroppiness and childish crap outside.

You're the one who cannot except the more than keane's fiddling around was at blame for us not being 3 points ahead right now.

no mention of his very well taken goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

tbh honest i would have taken a loss outta this match just to get the lads back down to earth. a draw is a great result at the calderon. rafa def has the prem as his priority. taking off stevie g after 60 somethin mins. chelsea watch out here we come lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If a striker decides to be "clever" rather than effective he deserves to be admonished, other aspects of the performance are open to criticism. Yossi gave no help to Arbeloa and also dwelt when in a promising position. The subs did rob momentum but then if 3 points or even one point is taken from the Bridge then it will be seen worthwhile in the larger scheme of things.

Dumph just called Agger a poor player.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What did Dunphy say at the end?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Dunphy is desperate to use the word donkey, can see it in his eyes

You're the one who cannot except the more than keane's fiddling around was at blame for us not being 3 points ahead right now.

no mention of his very well taken goal.

It's his job to score goals and wion us games. Whats the point in playign him to be a circus monkey. If Kuyt tried tricks instead of shots we most likely would have been beaten the last two weekends. Thats the difference between picking up or dropping points.

Whatever way you like to look at games, decisions and actions of strikers cost in things like this. We are not talking about him being unfortunate or the keeper pulling off an amazing save, we are effectivly talking about him chosing not to score.

we are effectivly talking about him chosing not to score.

no we're not, common no that is 100% ridiculous he 'tried something stupid he didn't try to miss. That is the worst thing I think i've ever read.

That's even bad for you.

What about Babel's Header?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

If I'm honest I was delighted to see Stevie and Alonso taken off with an eye on the weekend. Dont know if taking Robbie off was because of this or a slight niggle. Its good to see Benitez with his mind on the Premiership.I think people are going a bit OTT on Robbie's chance. If he scored we'd have been saying what a quality goal.

Those left on the pitch in the second half seemed to take their foot off the gas way to early which was disappointing to see. Babel was absolutely non existant when he came on bar his one chance. I think he was on the pitch about 15 mins before he touched the ball. Kuyt did very well when he came on to continue his good form of late. Benayoun was terrible all night, as was Arbeloa. He has really shown himself of late to be a bit of a one season wonder. I hope he can turn things around but I dont really hold any faith in him.

no we're not, common no that is 100% ridiculous he 'tried something stupid he didn't try to miss. That is the worst thing I think i've ever read.

HE had 2 choices. Take option 1 and you score a handy goal, take option 2 and at best you might score, assumign you make a full connection exactly as you want and need too. He CHOSE option 2. the one that was more likely NOT to end in a goal than it was to go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

'Look at Newcastle, Mike Ashley looks like he wouldn't even be able to spell video.' HAHAHAHAH

Another Dunphy classic.

eZe^ wrote: »
    'Look at Newcastle, Mike Ashley looks like he wouldn't even be able to spell video.' HAHAHAHAH

Another Dunphy classic.

Yeah, quality.

HE had 2 choices. Take option 1 and you score a handy goal, take option 2 and at best you might score, assumign you make a full connection exactly as you want and need too. He CHOSE option 2. the one that was more likely NOT to end in a goal than it was to go in.

he wasn't guaranteed a goal either way and connection in either circumstances would of been very hard to keep out if on target.

He chose the more difficult one and so be it, he missed it was a mistake.

What about babel's Header?

Which header? Did I miss something, Ryan B had a chance from Kuyts cross under some pressure at a less than great angle.

Mike

he wasn't guaranteed a goal either way and connection in either circumstances would of been very hard to keep out if on target.

He chose the more difficult one and so be it, he missed it was a mistake.

What about babel's Header?

As I said I'd have had no problem with him missing as long as he's tryign his best. Showboating is not trying your best, it's taking the piss. Even moreseo when you cant afford to (for your own sake and the teams, both situations could do with any improvements he can bring)

What about Babels header?(I'll be honest I didnt see it. I was doing a few things while watching the match).

As I said I'd have had no problem with him missing as long as he's tryign his best. Showboating is not trying your best, it's taking the piss. Even moreseo when you cant afford to (for your own sake and the teams, both situations could do with any improvements he can bring)

What about Babels header?(I'll be honest I didnt see it. I was doing a few things while watching the match).

Well essentially he went in half arsed into a header from 6 yards out,

I'd rather a player try something stupid and fail than
    not bother with something the normal way and still fail.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone here play's football - I don't go through a huge inner monologue when i go for a back heal it's just an instinctive choice and sometimes you get it wrong. I assume you don't play football or at least not up top.

• Advertisement

Well essentially he went in half arsed into a header from 6 yards out,

I'd rather a player try something stupid and fail than
    not bother with something the normal way and still fail.

If Babel had no one near him and tried a Rene Higuita scorpion kick from 6 yard sout then maybe it would be comparible.

Your defending the indefensable with Keane. There really is no excuse for doing what he did. Thats the bread and butter for a striker tht is scoring goals. Even moreso for one that isnt. He should be doing everythign in his power to put a good scorign run together.

Ok I'm going to stop the argument - because we both disagree and we are not going to achieve anything :)

Ok I'm going to stop the argument - because we both disagree and we are not going to achieve anything :)

Im argeeign to nothing. I'm hoping on a huge off chance that Keane reads this and it helps him not to do stupid crap in future.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Would have taken 1-1 before the game started.

Great to see Keane/Alonso/Gerrard being taken off, with the Chelsea game the weekend.
    The only reason I think Keane tried to be all fancy with his miss, was his confidence was most likely lifted after taken his goal excellently, earlier.

Arbeloa & Dossena are two players I lose confidence in a little bit, each time I see them play.
    Yossi was poor, would have preferred to seen Pennant in his place.
    Carra's mistake this time 'round, for the opposition to score. 99 times out of 100 Carra deals with that scenario.

Unfortunately I'm missing Dunphy & co's ramblings tonight, the gf watchin some shit called Heroes.

praise the lawd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

For all the talk of Keane's easy "miss", had he taken that on the full volley and put it in the back of the net it would have been a goal of the month contender for me.

It was a difficult chance.

1-1 is fine result, don't care about the CL and it's good having a number of first teamers rested for the big game Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Dont you love it when two Pool fans Argue its a thing of beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

good result,still unbeaten and 7 points from 9,roll on sunday,playing well.

thats my take anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LMAO at RTE. You'd think Keane commited a sin or something. I doubt he said before the shot I'm going to disrespect the game of soccer and try something outlandish.

Giles even suggested that his moving of clubs as youngster was partially responsible for his decision to try a nice little flick on October 21st, 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Giles even suggested that his moving of clubs as youngster was partially responsible for his decision to try a nice little flick on October 21st, 2008.
    Don't believe a word of it. There's no way Giles would get his dates mixed up like that. Todays the 22nd. You're lying estebancambias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Im argeeign to nothing. I'm hoping on a huge off chance that Keane reads this and it helps him not to do stupid crap in future.:)

Having just seen it (and heard RTE going on and on about it and read this thread beforehand), it wasn't as easy a chance as I was expecting - the ball was fairly fizzed into him. In any case, no one knows what went through his head.

If he thought, 'easy chance, time to show off' he was wrong, Stekelly wins.

If he thought, 'I don't have enough time to sort out my front foot, I'll try the back heel' he made the right decision, just couldn't execute, mayordennis wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Pighead wrote: »
    Don't believe a word of it. There's no way Giles would get his dates mixed up like that. Todays the 22nd. You're lying estebancambias.

not posting in the third person anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

not posting in the third person anymore?
    Nope. Pighead finished up using that lame gimmick ages ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Pighead wrote: »
    Nope. Pighead finished up using that lame gimmick ages ago.

Can Thrill use it. Thrill was only yesterday saying to himself " If only Thrill had a fancy gimmick like pighead, then maybe I...er..Thrill could become a great wit and be noticed by the general Boards population".

Can Thrill take over this third person thingy? Can he?

No.

• Advertisement

Thrill wrote: »
    Can Thrill use it. Thrill was only yesterday saying to himself " If only Thrill had a fancy gimmick like pighead, then maybe I...er..Thrill could become a great wit and be noticed by the general Boards population".

Can Thrill take over this third person thingy? Can he?
    FAIL !

fail-1-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Bill wrote: »
    FAIL !

Damn.

Back to anonymous first person mode then.

Thrill wrote: »
    Damn.

Back to anonymous first person mode then.
    Thats Better ;) , there is only room for one Pighead.

OT , apologies overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Good result for both spanish teams in Madrid tonight

Which team had more Spaniards?

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I wasnt counting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

FFS, if Keane had attemptd to hold the ball it could have caught a bad bounce and went to the corner anyway. Tried the most viable option in a 50 50 situation. Pointless waffling from the lads.

Pointless but, as usual, brilliant. Dont mess with the Gods :pac: :pac:

Im half glad it was a draw. Pool will qualify barring a miracle, but the main reason Im glad is that Boylesports had a 36/1 special at a tenner for Robbie to score the one and only goal in a 1-0 win. I thought about for a minute, then decided not to bother. If the score remained 1-0 I would currently be dousing myself in petrol with a lighter awaiting usage (Ireland results are more important than betting money, which is why I would never place big bets on international goalcasts, but positive Pool results vs money....nope, the euro wins :) )
    DeadSkin wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm missing Dunphy & co's ramblings tonight, the gf watchin some shit called Heroes.

For some reason any time I dip into ten minutes of that ****e it is ALWAYS the nerdy Japanese dude on it. ffs, give me some Hayden P :(

shane86 wrote: »
    FFS, if Keane had attemptd to hold the ball it could have caught a bad bounce and went to the corner anyway. Tried the most viable option in a 50 50 situation. Pointless waffling from the lads.

(

Whos in the what now? hold the ball? bounce? It was a choice between a volley and a stupid back heel. If by most viable you mean the option least likely to go in then yes, he chose right. But using the real meaning then no, he did not take the most viable option. Regardless of the ptinion on whether he should have tried the flick or not, the easy option was a straight shot. Theres no debate there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Another flawed performance - another more than acceptable result. Something to consider on the Keane thing:

he doesn't try that before his goal against PSV. That he did try it tonight indicates that his confidence is flowing. Good I say. Because if his confidence is beginning to flow it means good things for Liverpool FC in the long - term.

Think about the bigger picture folks. His contribution overall thus far has been acceptable and he is making a bigger impact with each passing game. Hanging him off the lamppost after one poor decision is lol. Ye need to take a deep breath, calm down, check out our results thus far - and be happy. :)

Advertisement