Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband to wireless?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi
    my brother has broadband in his house.
    His connection is comming in on a rj-45 network connection, from some sort of ariel based broadband. (hope that makes sense.)

Is it possible to connect this to a wireless router, which could then broadcast this signall around the house, and maybe to next door (couple of feet away)

If anyone has any suggestion or advice on hardware id appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Damien

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Hi
    my brother has broadband in his house.
    His connection is comming in on a rj-45 network connection, from some sort of ariel based broadband. (hope that makes sense.)

Is it possible to connect this to a wireless router, which could then broadcast this signall around the house, and maybe to next door (couple of feet away)

If anyone has any suggestion or advice on hardware id appreciate it.
    Thanks
    Damien

Yes any wireless router with a WAN port will do your Job - I recommend http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340639 But stick with a decent brand and you will be fine - Just look out for 5 RJ45 connections on the back of the routers you do not want a DSL router which has 4 RJ45s and a telephone socket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Can't fault the suggestion above but you may also consider the Linksys WRT54G or the GL or GS version of same, made by Cisco

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

thanks guys for your help.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Just make sure, the router you choose will have minimal WPA Wireless security but I highly recommended WPA2 on both router and Computer.

Advertisement