Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'For Sale' signs......interesting variation....

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

...I had some proper vinyl 'For Sale' made up, and put on the rear glass of the car (s) !

Anyhoo, yesterday morning, I get a call, asking if I'm selling a car, parked in Salthill.

Yes, I say, I am.

Well, says she, I'm a traffic warden, and it is an offence under the XYZ Bye Law to park a car in a public place, with a For Sale sign on it.

Hold on, I say, the car is in use - my wife has the car in town, and she's near it there, somewhere, jogging. (Salthill, prom...).
    So the car is in use?
    Yes, all the time.
    Ah, well that's alright then - but if it was to be left there for the day, I'd put a ticket on it...........

Curious. I double checked, later - the call did come from a Warden, not a 'busybody'........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

It was really busy on a Saturday in the Parkway Shopping Centre in Limerick so I parked across the road by the old Kielys store with For Sale A4 sheet of paper in 3 windows.

I got a call from a Private number telling me to move my car because Im not to park cars for sale outside his house. He said he had the council remove cars in the past.

I asked him in not so many words to mind his own business and Im shopping and parked legally on a public road.

I went back to the car 20 minutes later with my shopping bags to find a Garda writing down the cars details.

Of course, I open the boot, put in the bags and ask the Garda is everything ok with my car. He gave me a confused look after seeing the shopping loading into the boot. He asked where I was. I said " I was shopping in Dunnes ". He asked why I was parked there. I asked him "why not"? He said you cannot sell your car at the side of the street. I told him I was not selling my car, that I was shopping. He looked over his shoulder towards the guys house "that prick calls us constantly about cars parked outside his house". "So how long have you been parked here". "Ummmm, 40 minutes", I replied.

He stormed off towards the guys house muttering "****ing prick, he told me 3 days".

Some people eh, busybodies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Some people have waaaaaaaay to much time on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW, I would never buy a car which was advertised in this way.

If the owner is too tight to pay for a proper advert, it will likely be poor value, or else poorly maintained.

I could be completely wrong of course, but there is no shortage of good cars advertised through other channels.

Sorry if this offends, just giving my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lumen wrote: »

If the owner is too tight to pay for a proper advert, it will likely be poor value, or else poorly maintained.

I could be completely wrong of course, but there is no shortage of good cars advertised through other channels.

For commonplace cars, you might well be right. I think it could work well for unusual cars, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

How do you immediately know they were to tight to pay for an advert as well as putting a sign on the window?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lightening wrote: »
    How do you immediately know they were to tight to pay for an advert as well as putting a sign on the window?

A good point. I suppose I didn't consider it likely. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I've put ads in carzone AND 'For Sale' signs on most of my previous cars, barring the ones I've traded in. Also put it in the Buy and Sell. The more exposure the better. I'm not a tight. 2 cars I've sold by people approaching me while shopping and in the cinema. Once through carzone.

The only time someone asked me to remove my car from anywhere was one time when I was up at a car auction in Ashbourne, and management said I wasn't allowed to park a car with a 'For Sale' sign in their car park. Some policy they had. No worries, I took the sign down

Advertisement