Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Urgent help with buying car needed!

Options
  • 22-10-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate some help. My beloved 93 Fiesta broke down yesterday and it just wont start anymore - were not sure what is wrong but it seems not worth fixing the car as we wanted a new one in the next few months anyway.

However, I agreed to look at a Punto tonight, but neither my boyfriend nor I know much about cars.

The car I'm looking at is a 1998 Punto with 50,000mls on it, Hatchback, NCT 03/10, 1.2 Petrol, 5 Doors for 990 Euro.

Is there anything I need to look out for when viewing and test driving the car? Someone said to me to make sure there is no brown sludge under the oil cap but what else is important?

Thanks for any answers, I'd really appreciate help!!!
    Alyama

Edit: This is the car I'm thinking about, if its any help: http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Fiat/Punto/Nct03-10/1238045/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394846&highlight=fiat+punto

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394853&highlight=fiat+punto

Some food for thought......... cant comment on the car itself as I dont have first hand experience of owning one .............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Alyama

Thanks, thats great info for a start.

Thing is, my last car broke down at 160,000mls and I hope to be as lucky with my next one. I do look after my cars and just need something reliable and as cheap as possible for the moment.

Guess I'm just scared of buying something that needs the first repair in 2,000mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

50,000miles on a 1998 car is very low, below average I would think. Test drive it, keeping an ear out for any knocking or rattles in the engine and the drive shafts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

it´s also a buyers market, so buy something cheap with 2 years NTC.

No NTC = no deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Punto’s are prone to head gasket failures; the brown sludge is an indicator of fluid leaking into the engine…

Ask is their any service history with it, when it was last serviced…

Ask has the head gasket ever gone, and ask if the Timing-Belt was changed, if it was ask for proof, receipts etc. If the T-Belt was not changed it will have to be done, costs about between 300-500, depending on who does it…

Check for wear on the suspension and if you drive it open the window and do a 360 turn slowly, if you hear a clicking sound from the front, the CV joints need doing…

Check the usual..
      Tyres Paintwork for accident damage Electrics working, lights, windows etc Condition of seats & Trim.. Seat Belts working properly…

The Punto is not a bad little car, the 1.2 16V is a better engine that the 8 valve one..
    There are loads out there, so take your time. And walk away if you don’t feel happy about the car…
    Pay a Mechanic to look it over, or someone who knows a good bit about cars….

Good luck in the hunt…:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

itarumaa wrote: »
    it´s also a buyers market, so buy something cheap with 2 years NTC.

No NTC = no deal.

Yep very good point

Thats great advise, thank you all. I'll see how it goes tonight. At least there is NCT on it so it hopefully wont be too bad.

I'm just in a rush to get a new car cause I live so far away from work that I had to take a few days off cause I cant get there without one :(

I know buying a car when you dont have much time to look around (and no car to get there) is the wrong thing but cant change it right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

the car looks very clean inside which is a good sign. Take it for a long test drive. It's a base S model so has very little on it to go wrong. It might not even have power steering or a CD player. Make sure the wipers and washers work.
    If happy pay no more than 800 euro.

Do you reckon the car is only worth 800 Euro at the moment?

Its a dealer, i'm not sure he'll go down that much with the price. I'll try to get it as cheap as possible if I'm happy with it but if he's not happy to reduce the price by that much, would you advise to keep looking around?

A car of that type, of that age is not worth 1,000. 800 euro cash in hand should secure it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Please stay away from Punto. Brother in Law has one and he has had trouble with it.

He is waiting to finish college, to get something better.

If thats the type of car you are after then go for a Toyota Starlet.

Buying a banger for under a grand is an art.

and I ran 30,000 trouble free miles in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

My humble opinion, but based on the fact that I've owned two fiats, is not to buy after 60'000 miles, unless it has had a clutch, timing belt and head gasket replacement.

The one you are looking at is 50K miles so any of the above is due to go.

For a fiat, service is everything, I service my Bravo every 9 months and it's been going like the clappers since the day I got it. Check the puntos service history if it does not have 10 stamped pages then walk away.
    Fiats have to be cared for unlike Toyotas, so if you want a fire and forget then buy a Toyota.
    If you are looking for Cheap, Reliable pre 2000 and are not too bothered about the looks then go for:
    Toyota Starlet, Corolla
    VW Golf
    Ford Fiesta

If i were in the situation I would go for the golf. It's almost guaranteed never to stop :)

People seem to either love Puntos or hate them?!

Everyone told me not to buy a Fiesta before and I didnt listen...end of story was a 15 year old car with 160,000mls on it that only broke down yesterday. And I have to say that this car never got a service or needed a repair so it was a good thing to buy back then.

Starlet is useless for me, I need a 4/5 door as were expecting a child and I couldnt climb in and out of the back to strap baby in every time I want to go somewhere. Thats why I was looking at that Punto in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

How much are you willing to spend?

I wouldn't touch a punto.

We'll I dont want to spend more than 1000Euro id say. But I defo want a car with NCT and under 1.4l cause I dont want my insurance to go through the roof again! And reliable. Thats all I need really.

Edit: And preferably not too many miles on it.

Alyama wrote: »
    We'll I dont want to spend more than 1000Euro id say. But I defo want a car with NCT and under 1.4l cause I dont want my insurance to go through the roof again! And reliable. Thats all I need really.

that honda civic that was posted there would be a good buy.
    The 1.6 engine has always had cheap insurance....just try a few quotes on it and see..

I had a Honda Civic 1.5l before and paid 1600 Euro for my insurance...considered the Fiesta is 600 and I dont need a big engine to drive to work I think thats a waste of money :)

There doesnt seem to be a lot of small cars for sale at the moment, or am I looking in the wrong places?

Just had a look at this one

http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/search/Volkswagen/Polo/1.3....P/200843190553728/advert

and spoke to the garage on the phone...the mileage is higher than they advise on carzone, around 70k he said. But I could look at it tomorrow if I want, I'll ring him again if the Punto isnt good.

Damn, I was hoping to return to work tomorrow :(

• Advertisement

ClioV6, you haven't done the OP any favours there.
    That Punto was clean and low milage. If it drove well on a long test drive it'd be as good a place as anywhere to spend 800 euro. Condition not badge is all important for cars under 1K.
    You've sown doubt and she's now looking at a filthy Polo which is advertised "sold as seen".

Mailman wrote: »
    That Punto was clean and low milage. If it drove well on a long test drive it'd be as good a place as anywhere to spend 800 euro. Condition not badge is all important for cars under 1K.
    You've sown doubt and she's now looking at a filthy Polo which is advertised "sold as seen".

Dont worry, I'm more than careful with a car "sold as seen", especially if its advertised with less mileage than there is on it and looks dirty!

Also, without asking for punishment, but isnt Clio a french car with a bad reputation? :p Only messin.

Just wanted to say thanks for all your help!!

I spoke to the garage about the Punto to get some more info before I drive out to Youghal later and they said the car was serviced every 5,000-10,000mls in the past and the next service is due in 5,000mls. Also timing belt was done at 35,000mls according to service history.

We'll see later if its a good car or not. Anyway, you've all been a great help and I hope I now know what to look out for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

OP, i drive a Seat Ibiza with 166k miles on it, albeit a diesel one. So I know they can take a few miles, plus ive known high mile Toyotas and like your old car, Fiestas. Few others too.

Ive never heard of a Punto lasting that many miles, I really think you should consider some of the other options people have suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

bigkev49 wrote: »

yep buy as low a mileage honda as you can afford

the money your looking to spend your probably going to spend another 500 in no time would you not try up your budget to 1500

Mailman wrote: »

Oh right because the other people advising against puntos didn't influence that at all.

Advertisement