Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004/2005 Honda Accord or Volvo S40???

Options
  • 22-10-2008 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

well folks.

i'm buying a new car early in the new year(because i'm presuming its a better time to buy a car) so i'm doing a little homework at the moment. i really like both of these cars. accord 2.2 ctdi executive and the 2.0 SE in the volvo to be precise. i'm looking for any opinons or experiences with either of these cars. reliability/faults/problems/economy etc

i'll be buying in england or up north . don't know much about this process except i know what vrt i need to pay on each of the cars from the vrt website. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'd sooner the Accord. It's more spacious and the diesel engine is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

S40 is based on the Ford Focus but is positioned as kind of an upmarket alternative to a Mondeo or Avensis. S40 SE is well equipped but most UK models I have seen don't have leather heated seats as standard on the SE which Irish SE models have. 2.0d is a Peugeot/Citroen unit with 136bhp which is ok power wise and a pretty reliable unit. If you don't need space then the S40 is a good second hand buy, access to the boot is restrictive though and rear legroom is tight.

Accord is a Mondeo/Avensis rival but marketed as a cheaper alternative to the 3 Series/A4. 2.2 diesel has 155bhp and is very refined as diesels go but you need to keep an eye on the oil level as it likes to use a bit. Go for the Executive model as it comes loaded with everything including full leather interior, etc.

Check out prices on the UK mainland as they are generally cheaper than up in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

thanks bazz for the info.
    am i right to say that the new year is a better time to buy a secondhand car? or is there much difference. between now and then.

so the accord is more spacious and has more BHP but is it reliable apart from keeping the oil topped up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

fearruanua wrote: »
    thanks bazz for the info.
    am i right to say that the new year is a better time to buy a secondhand car? or is there much difference. between now and then.

so the accord is more spacious and has more BHP but is it reliable apart from keeping the oil topped up??

Yep.

Advertisement