Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I go over my credit card limit?

Options
  • 22-10-2008 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hey i have a BOI student credit card. i have a limit of 400 euro but may have to go over it. Dont have time to transfer the money onto the credit card so im wondering can i go over my limit and if i do.. Is there a charge?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think they've brought in a charge for each overlimit item on your CC of about €7, but I'm not sure if that applies to students. My advice is transfer money on to the card asap, and just hope you get away with it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

You could ring them and ask for an increase in your limit, even a temporary increase. It would work out cheaper in the long run. Going over your limit means that you are spending outside your authorised amount, therefore your account is out of order. This may or may not do harm in the longer term, but its not worth taking the chance really, especially as you have the funds elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

heymayo wrote: »
    Hey i have a BOI student credit card. i have a limit of 400 euro but may have to go over it. Dont have time to transfer the money onto the credit card so im wondering can i go over my limit and if i do.. Is there a charge?

Over limit charge: €7.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

Hi thanks for replies. But im wondering another question . I put 80euro on the credit card and now dont need 2 use it so im wondering whats the best way to get the 80 back. If i go to a bank link and take it out how does it work?? will i be charged a fee even though its 80 euro debit on the card?

Hi thanks for replies. But im wondering another question . I put 80euro on the credit card and now dont need 2 use it so im wondering whats the best way to get the 80 back. If i go to a bank link and take it out how does it work?? will i be charged a fee even though its 80 euro debit on the card?

No Cash Advance fee if your account is in credit, so you dont have a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Spend it. It used to be a case that you could withdraw from the credit card account free of charge if the account was in Credit, not sure if that still applies though.
    If you have to get Petrol for your car or if you're not shopping at Lidl or Aldi (which if you're a student you probably will be, or at least should be) you can use it for your groceries.

Alternatively you could go on an almighty booze up. Check the boozer/off licence takes the credit card first though.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Spend it. It used to be a case that you could withdraw from the credit card account free of charge if the account was in Credit, not sure if that still applies though.
    If you have to get Petrol for your car or if you're not shopping at Lidl or Aldi (which if you're a student you probably will be, or at least should be) you can use it for your groceries.

Alternatively you could go on an almighty booze up. Check the boozer/off licence takes the credit card first though.

Beat you to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

davton wrote: »
    Beat you to it :D

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I know from experience that AIB send you a letter telling you that they will contact the police.

I paid for a night in a hotel and the hotel charged me twice without my knowledge. Next thing, I get a letter send to my house about how serious it is. You would think that you might get a phone call asking you nicely first, but no.

I do not like AIB :mad:

Advertisement