Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I whant to say THANK YOU to Bioware, you are great!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The elevators wouldnt have been so bad of they had added more party dialogue into them. Had a few between Ash and Raidin (not the thunder god, the other one), but there was no where near enough.

Was definatly my game of the year though. Absolutly loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Really liked some parts of Mass Effect (combat did a good job of combining stat gameplay and real time) but other bits were pretty annoying: the aforementioned never ending elevators, repetitive side quests, bad storytelling at times (the optional 'romance' is of George Lucas quality). But it is a very solid RPG, although it suffers from a blander universe and mythology than Knights of the Old Republic (for pretty obvious reasons!).

few things I'd forgotten to mention, yeah side quests did become a grind as every building/mine/ship had the exact same interior. That and the controls on the mako! Lifts were another one, I started at least in the citadel to avoid where possible and take the express, much quicker.

I still for some reason found it a great game, had that unique playability that made you overlook it's faults. Agree with the main story could have been longer though.

And what the hell is the optional romance? forgot I saw a mention of that on some forum when I started playing, seem to have totally missed it. Was it with the courtesan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DamoKen wrote: »
    And what the hell is the optional romance? forgot I saw a mention of that on some forum when I started playing, seem to have totally missed it. Was it with the courtesan?

I think there are a few of the characters you can woo. My character ended up doing the deed with Ashley,
    concluding with a sex scene that would have been considered tame in the 1950s :pac:
    . But apart from a couple of forced conversations, its a pretty brief and pointless subplot.

I banged Liara (blue alien ass ftw!), and had pretty much the same sex scene. Very tame, without showing much of anything. Dont know why people seemed to be shocked by it, although people are stupid, so i guess it makes sense.

And then Fox went and made complete fools of themselves over the sex scene. I would have laughed if they hadnt been such ****ing idiots about it. The "expert" they had later admitted that she hadnt even played the game. gg Fox.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/EA-Responds-to-Fox-News-039-Nonsense-Material-77074.shtml
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mass-Effect-a-Brand-New-Episode-Fox-Issues-EA-Response-77184.shtml

I cant find the video link, as i'm in work. Its a must watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Kiith wrote: »
    Had a few between Ash and Raidin (not the thunder god, the other one)

Kaidan?
    The conversations between him and Wrex were the best.

• Advertisement

Thats who i meant. And any conversation with Wrex in it was the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Not to sound too negative (:D)... but to reiterate what I said when we originally discussed the game:

The handling/shooting of the Mako is just plain wrong. Navigating through the buy/sell items screen is awful. Side quests feel too far removed from the main story (which is too short). The dialogue response trees are too shallow - and often the response you select and what Shepard says seem very different. The last battle is annoying. Some of the classes are nigh impossible to enjoy the game with.

The score is cool and the story is interesting. The combat, while awful at the start, improves later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Fnz wrote: »
    Not to sound too negative (:D)... but to reiterate what I said when we originally discussed the game:

The handling/shooting of the Mako is just plain wrong. Navigating through the buy/sell items screen is awful. Side quests feel too far removed from the main story (which is too short). The dialogue response trees are too shallow - and often the response you select and what Shepard says seem very different. The last battle is annoying. Some of the classes are nigh impossible to enjoy the game with.

The score is cool and the story is interesting. The combat, while awful at the start, improves later.

Agreed with a lot of this and what has been said before. Also you could not skip the dialogue so if you got killed and had not saved you were forced to reread it. I had some conversations with Liaras mother over and over cause I skipped all the side missions and went straight to that planet.

Overall though with all its flaws it was still great. Thanks also from me to them. I will not be buying the MMORPG as I dont have the time so I hope KOTOR3 has a single player game. KOTOR with all its flaws is one of my favourite games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thought it was a big bag of meh tbh

never finished it, I enjoyed it but eventually its flaws drove me away.

I am surprised so many people liked it, especially when they say "I really liked Mass Effect but here's a list as long as my arm with what's wrong with it"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

It had some flaws agreed. But I am currently playing Oblivion and compared to that it is a much more atmospheric and enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Vegeta wrote: »
    Thought it was a big bag of meh tbh

never finished it, I enjoyed it but eventually its flaws drove me away.

I am surprised so many people liked it, especially when they say "I really liked Mass Effect but here's a list as long as my arm with what's wrong with it"

well i was not paying attention to those things, its just this game had that magic to hook you up to controller. You allways whanted to know: what will happen next!

There is so many games out there, with flathless gameplay, no elevators ( thought they were made instad of loading window). But do they have that magic? Not alot in past 5-6 years... ( bioshock exeption)

Like assasins creed has everything allmoust perfect, but i cant be arsed to finish it after third gay..... Just..... does not make me whant to play it...

Anyway, i did love it, but you cant argue about taste :D. I said thank you, and i am not regret it, even if gameplay was not perfect.

p.s. soundtrack really helped alot for that game. Best sci-fi soundtrack so far :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

The eleavators never othered me I enjoyed hearing my past deeds told on the news. :p

Bless this thread I need to replay the game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

the elevators were effectively load screens, stop whinging people!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

quarryman wrote: »
    the elevators were effectively load screens, stop whinging people!

thank you :D. i thought no one understood that :D. I prefer that elevator than looking at loading screen :D.

But tbh i never payed much attention to it... i only realised that they small bit longer then usuall, only from here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I thought Mass Effect was very very far from Bioware's best (in fact it was their worst game of the ones I've played) - that's not to say it's a bad game though, it still did things that no other developer ever seems to try to do.

It's just a pity that it was so short, and even while being short a very large percentage of it was padding, by which I mean the average combat and the absolutely horrible Mako sections. It was at it's best by far when presenting the player with multiple options and ways of completing quests or branching dialogue trees. The best part of the game really was the beginning on the citadel, when there were tons of side quests like that. Once you went exploring things went downhill to a large extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Loved ME on the xbox although I wished i could switch powers on the fly..
    Keep meaning to play the pc version to see what it's like.

For those of you bitching bout the elevators read penny arcade's thoughts on it...:D

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/11/16/nitpicking-mass-effect-part-two

Advertisement